Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!
Demon Summoning Program, execute!

Hal Insandenza posted:

I do like the gumption here but I guess I don't see this smug confidence in a guy going well I may be leaning at-low but I gotta read some more.

I see the "I'll read more, but..." as basically a formality, with the context of yesterday the decision seems like it was already made

Also yesterday he was passing out cigars, so I see this as following up on that I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

dy. posted:

He was pretty cozy with merk

Restating this genuine question

AT-LOW posted:

Do you think that my crackpot case on merk where I dug up the binus thing was just a nonsense bus? Like if I was making that argument as scum, do you think I would have been pushing for merk and not somber?

dy. posted:

I don’t think this scumteam is particularly subtle.

I agree in that I think the main confusion this game hasn't been the scumteam being subtle so much as town continuously parading itself into the spotlight with sequins on

Also stuff like massive group tunneling on Keane etc, like that just wasn't not happening and it truly didn't need to

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

AT-LOW posted:

that just wasn't not happening and it truly didn't need to

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

dy. posted:

Any case on merk has been superseded in my mind by more recent events. I am phonepostin now so can’t dig back but all I remember is you being right there with merk on the rushed gavel. And I remember you directly asking me “why aren’t are gaveling right now?” and generally pushing it pretty forcefully.

Yes, I was against it at first, but merk convinced me (and I had wanted to flip SNG anyway). It was not my finest hour.

I will note that the fact that I cased merk before is not the issue I'm raising, it's the nature of the case: I saw Somber do something that I thought looked like protecting merk, so I dug up binus's D1 interactions with merk and concluded that merk might be scum and somber might be in cahoots... but I pushed for a merk vote over a somber one. If I was on merk's team, why wouldn't I push for somber first, let somber flip town, and go "oh I was wrong about merk" and drop it?

I am pointing this out myself, of course, so I do not begrudge you any grains of salt you may feel the need to take this with.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

dy. posted:

(This is a real question and not pressure.) Why won't you vote Steak?

That's a non-read, not town or scum. I felt that Steak was scum on D2, I felt that Steak was town on D3, but now I simply cannot understand Steak whatsoever. I am not against voting Steak.

.random posted:

So AT-LOW’s post history is an interesting journey.

Take-away thoughts:
- mostly seemed to play logically in early days
- a lot of VERY STRONG READS
- basically all of them wrong
- hates me a lot

If it helps, I have had a light scumread on you ever since this post

.random posted:

But about that 20% chance to kill a random player (see what I did there) who is statistically more likely to be town than not...

What’s up with that?

Which was the worst reaction to the Solus vig and is the exact same "HEY TOWN, WHADDAYA THINK???" type of reaction that I dinged scum-Steak for in Mafia Mafia, and as it went on my suspicions persisted on the backburner because of what I saw as patterns of overwrought handwringing as a response to basically any suspicion on you as well as presenting information to the town in a way that obfuscated your own opinion, both of which have continued into even your most recent posts

And that last one is happening even now!

.random posted:

- a lot of VERY STRONG READS
- basically all of them wrong

You just iso'd me and you have nothing to say about my strongest reads? The two that I kept screaming and screaming about and that nothing ever happened with? dy and Steak, two living players, one of whom you have all but called guaranteed scum?

You have nothing to say about THOSE being my strongest early reads. That would require interacting with my iso in a meaningful way. Instead, you simply call my reads unreliable, parroting what I was saying about myself earlier when I was shocked and frustrated. Why? Because I am now reading you, and it better serves your purposes to call my strong reads wrong rather than acknowledging that the two most dramatic reads in my iso are completely unproven and that one of them actually lines up with your own most recent reads.

If you turn out to be town later then I apologize lol and I'll make a mental note that I have thought your towngame was scummy before for next time! For now though, I'm calling it like I'm seeing it.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

dy. posted:

What if the game hinges on your ability to determine a read on Steak? Where would you land?

I would vote Steak. I no longer trust my ability to gauge him moving forward and given the chance to default to an earlier or later read, all other things being equal, I will choose the earlier read.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

dy. posted:

This is a weird comment from AT-LOW because he doesn't seem to otherwise acknowledge that merk "used his ability wrong"

Also this is... well "it seems" can't strictly be false because it describes your own perception, but this comment is failing to perceive any of this

AT-LOW posted:

It literally doesn't matter, dude.

AT-LOW posted:

we get nothing here by bringing the ability to its conclusion at all

merk posted:

There are ten alive. Unless you think there are 5 scum, we definitely could gavel and use majority elimination today.

AT-LOW posted:

I'm assuming 4 scum. As such, arithmetically, it is basically impossible that that is true.

After that, merk said that the point was actually to see who would hard defend SNG, which was random, and I got excited because I had previously had my doubts on both random AND sng, so I sided with merk

Turns out I was wrong to do so!

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

dy. posted:

I don't understand why, but random's posts here prompts AT-LOW to ask him to post a case on SNG.

While I'm here!

In a coincidence of timing, I've sorta just addressed this: random had sng in basically every single list of scumreads he's posted for the entire game. Now, random specifically does not want sng to flip. Was the continual scumcalling a bus? What was random's case? This was going through my head as I supported merk's stated plan to see who would not vote for SNG. This is also why I pressured others to hammer at the same time.

I had felt at the time that it was a reasonable enough explanation and, indeed, I felt like merk's use of the ability was so bad that I couldn't imagine scum going to the trouble of doing it.

Clearly, I should have been imagining more :v:

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

*Hammer -> Gavel

save me from these synonyms

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

*I couldn't imagine scum making such a nonsensical move, so I accepted merk's explanation of using it to scumhunt

You can see here where my logic broke down: as soon as I accepted an explanation for it, it was no longer nonsensical, and could have been scum-motivated

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

dy. posted:

Here AT-LOW weirdly starts to acknowledge that merk's gavel is a trick but asks everyone else to tell him what it is. Just so weird.

Bruh

It's a rhetorical question lol, the entire point of me asking it is because I don't think anyone can answer it

I felt like I had correctly assessed the situation logically, and I was challenging the room to tell me what this mysterious plan they were so afraid of was

But I had already logically tripped up, as I noted in my last post, and as I also noted much earlier, I was likely operating under an incorrect set of assumptions as well (primarily that scum felt like they could successfully push through a vote without drastically shaking up the gamestate - I now think that assumption was dead wrong)

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

dy. posted:

you're like "merk could be scum and this is a bad plan and he used it in a scummy way but how could he be scum if he's doing this so I'm just going to go along I guess."

I'm not sure where you got the impression I did, but I never said that merk's ability use was scummy. In fact

AT-LOW posted:

##vote dy

It literally doesn't matter, dude. This entire objection is ridiculous

That said I am hella WIFOMed out by this

Would scum post this? I have no clue

You even quoted me voting you for calling it scummy, lol

I repeatedly said that it was useless, and also that useless =/= scummy

I had the exact same objection to the Solus case D1: bad ability use is not in itself scummy

I was opposed to merk's use of the ability, and I was equally opposed to calling it scummy

Then I fumbled my logic when merk re-explained it and I went "yeah there wasn't a scum reason to do this, so this is a good explanation!" instead of going "merk now has an explanation, does that change my assessment that scum merk had no reason to do this?"

Pretty sure that's where my logic broke down, at any rate

In any case, consider that at least part of your disconnect between my thinking and my actions is that you appear to have misunderstood my thinking

In addition, note that my mind changed pretty drastically between when I called merk wrong and supported merk (from "suspecting merk based on using an ability wrong is scummy" to "merk is town"), and I didn't exactly go "my mind has changed drastically", so you might be feeling out a discrepancy there

Basically I think you're seeing what you felt I said rather than what I actually said, and certainly rather than what I felt I said

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

I am not, on principle, against the Hal vote. If I do join it, however, I'd like to be more certain that I agree with it.

I'll check back in later when I'm more available.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Well that's unfortunate.

Let's see if the game ends, I suppose.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

I do not drink... wine in front of all.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

I actually feel very vindicated by this scumteam

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

dy. posted:

ATLOW you were voting random and refused to vote Steak.

AT-LOW posted:

I would vote Steak.

Even in the postgame you are literally not reading my posts and just making up what you thought I was saying lol

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

dy. posted:

ATLOW you were voting random and refused to vote Steak.

In any case, the point is that I screamed about dy all day 1, screamed about steak all day 2, accidentally landed rear end first into a merk case, and went for SNG first thing day 3 but got pushed away by sandwolf

My random read was a misfire, but I have every right to feel self-satisfied about my instincts.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

dy. posted:

You said that after you said you wouldn't vote him that day

Please quote the post where I said this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

dy. posted:

Nah it's cool, I take it back.

My point is really just that I think you read "I have wifom poisoning on steak" as "I won't vote" when it meant "I have 0% confidence in any read I might try to generate on him"

It just felt like you were reading so much more into my posts at the end than I actually said and not even as a scum thing lol

So watch for that as town, is what I'm saying