Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
check out this hosed up spider that was in my tub the other day, poo poo was big as gently caress!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nooner posted:

check out this hosed up spider that was in my tub the other day, poo poo was big as gently caress!!

oh he was like my bathroom buddy that disappeared a couple of weeks ago. :3: I fed him a cricket that was in the house once and he was super impressed.

online database said he was a spitting spider.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Yo what the gently caress is this poo poo

other than dead. I'm very glad it's now dead.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i think it's a penny? BFC is THATAWAY dude! --->https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=200

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I found I another bug I googled it and I think it is a cicada from the LXIX brood

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I foubd another really big bug!!! I dony like this bug

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Would this be an appropriate place to ask about how to keep a terrarium humidified and cool for bess beetles, or is this more an "ew, insects" kinda place?

cruft fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 28, 2021

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
It is the official megathread. You can post anythi g bug related, friend (:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Just dont post abiut COMPUTER bugs!!! XD

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There was this spider that had a giant web in the skylight of my bathroom (that extended all along the ceiling of the bathroom) and it would catch a bunch of insects up there (basically the perfect position for a web; all the bugs fly up into the skylight and get caught in the web). It finally died a couple days ago and fell down into the bathtub (which is directly below the skylight where its web is).

Yesterday I saw another spider on the ceiling, and I zoomed in with my phone camera and it appeared to be a brown recluse (which are common here and frequently appear around the house), so I shot it down with some Febreze (the only way I could think of to get it down from the ceiling).

Unfortunately, after getting a closer look after it fell, I realized it was not a brown recluse. It was the same species as the other spider, but smaller/younger (I'm pretty sure this is the species in question - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pholcus_phalangioides; with the blurry phone picture its cephalothorax looked like it had the typical violin symbol of brown recluses). I left it near the wall on the off-chance it would have survived the spraying, and later I saw it climbing up the wall towards the web. Great news! But apparently the spray did do some sort of damage, because it kept falling while trying to climb up, and finally died sometime last night.

Feel terrible about it, especially since it was my fault. Hopefully there are more spiders of its kind around to take up residence in that web. I formed an attachment to that spider, and it was very helpful as a form of pest control.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Modified insect butts lecture

https://vimeo.com/542269717/34a5fe558a

Featuring poop butt club

https://twitter.com/myrmecos/status/1384159752783949824

Beetle pretending to be an ant's butt by latching onto its butt then mooching on the hive's food

and finally poop butt house

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Ytlaya posted:

There was this spider that had a giant web in the skylight of my bathroom (that extended all along the ceiling of the bathroom) and it would catch a bunch of insects up there (basically the perfect position for a web; all the bugs fly up into the skylight and get caught in the web). It finally died a couple days ago and fell down into the bathtub (which is directly below the skylight where its web is).

Yesterday I saw another spider on the ceiling, and I zoomed in with my phone camera and it appeared to be a brown recluse (which are common here and frequently appear around the house), so I shot it down with some Febreze (the only way I could think of to get it down from the ceiling).

Unfortunately, after getting a closer look after it fell, I realized it was not a brown recluse. It was the same species as the other spider, but smaller/younger (I'm pretty sure this is the species in question - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pholcus_phalangioides; with the blurry phone picture its cephalothorax looked like it had the typical violin symbol of brown recluses). I left it near the wall on the off-chance it would have survived the spraying, and later I saw it climbing up the wall towards the web. Great news! But apparently the spray did do some sort of damage, because it kept falling while trying to climb up, and finally died sometime last night.

Feel terrible about it, especially since it was my fault. Hopefully there are more spiders of its kind around to take up residence in that web. I formed an attachment to that spider, and it was very helpful as a form of pest control.

Brown recluse spiders dont like to climb because they are afraid of heights!

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009
A quite respectable funnel web spider guarding the blueberry bushes:

https://imgur.com/gallery/qfXCfQD

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

I found three black widows last week and took them home for a photo shoot. This is the best photo I’ll ever take as long as I live.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

You got depth of field on spider legs. That is badass.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
I found this bug in the garden (cambs, uk) its about 25mm long which is twice the size of the insects I've compared it to, any ideas?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Szymanski posted:

I found this bug in the garden (cambs, uk) its about 25mm long which is twice the size of the insects I've compared it to, any ideas?

I know nothing about bugs, but I have Google lense and had free time, so I'm gonna say it's definitely a longhorn beetle, of which the UK has like 8 million species of, but it looks like cerambyx cerdo to me. The issue is, that species appears to be arguably extinct in the UK.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

At the beginning of last school year, my younger son, then a first grader, brought home a mealworm to raise as a science project. (Everyone in his class got one. His brother got one three years before.) In due time, the mealworm became a pupa, and then on November 19th of last year, Bill the Bug exited his cocoon. I mention the date, because googling suggested that mealworm beetles live about two months in beetle form.

Today is July 19th.

Now, I know the pandemic has distorted everyone's time senses, but November to July is definitely more than two months, right?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

One of the first axioms of bug science is that a beetle only gets to gently caress once and then it dies but it also works in reverse so when you keep it in captivity it can't mate and is basically immortal.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Call Your Grandma posted:

One of the first axioms of bug science is that a beetle only gets to gently caress once and then it dies but it also works in reverse so when you keep it in captivity it can't mate and is basically immortal.

His brother's beetle lived definitely less than three months, and only maybe more than two! (We don't know whether Bill is William or Wilhelmina, but my sons use 'he' to refer to him. I assume it doesn't really matter for longevity purposes.)

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Check out this big bug!! It is outside my office just hanging on the wall and feelin some friyay vibes :coolslime:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Found this guy inside my house and trying to figure out if it is a black garden ant or a carpenter ant. I killed it before I realized I should have taken more photos and put a quarter next to it, but was wondering if anyone could help me identify it? I found one upstairs my house on a mirror and another one on my first floor walking up a wall:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i find these in my house pretty regularly but have no idea what they are. i captured this one in a jar but i still can't count how many eyes it has

e: there's a bunch of moths around lately will this spider eat a moth

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 25, 2023

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I just started doing research on keeping a jumping spider as a pet and I think I shall. If it happens I think I might start a jumping spider pet blog/thread here in PI.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Here is Window Spider II, they are a helpful and kind bug who is assisting us in the occasional fruit fly issue we have over our sink. I'm not certain what type of spider they are but they make a very pretty web that they actively work very hard within. Our first Window Spider had a long and happy life before a (seemingly natural?) death, so I wish this one the best in their hard, important works.

more than anything else I think I'm impressed by how well modern cellphone cameras can capture detail.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Spiders and other invertebrates are wonderful creatures. I love them so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Anybody here know a good mantis breeder? Asking for a friend, literally in this case. I generally just gently caress with roaches and spiders, though I did have a pet praying mantis a few years ago.