Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Hello, my name is Mycroft Holmes and alongside my co-commentator Falconier111 and editor Pilchenstein, I'll be doing a let's play of Secret World Legends, an occult based MMO.

What is this?
This is Secret World Legends, a reboot of The Secret World as a free-to-play MMO. They made combat in this version not terrible!

What sort of LP is this?
This is an informative LP in which we will be going through all the single-player content of the MMO. Edit: I am doing dungeons.
Spoilers?
Feel free to discuss lore about places we are in or have been to. By the third area, all spoiler restrictions are lifted.

Playlist

Mycroft Holmes fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
London

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

EclecticTastes posted:

The website is extremely finicky about your browser, I actually had to download Firefox and that was what finally got the transfer to go through. That said, I'm actually pretty disappointed by what I found when I got into the game. For one thing, it doesn't look like anyone is actually playing aside from Mycroft, I think I encountered maybe five other players while I was scouring the hub areas for lore honeycombs instead of following the story. It's a drat good thing I transferred over all my clothes, too, because now basically everything costs some nonsense currency you only get drip-fed through daily missions (one of like twelve friggin' currencies, only one of which even involves real money, I thought they unified the bullshit currencies in the original TSW to solve this kind of problem). Also, the combat changes are kind of a wash, it's just a different kind of lovely now. Oh, and all the interesting, if kind of hard to find, shops and vendors were replaced with basically a single extremely contrived-feeling mall in the middle of Agartha, making the game feel that much less immersive and more artificial. Maybe it'll improve as I go, but so far it just seems like it's kind of worse in every way compared to the original incarnation (Tokyo notwithstanding).

There's an official goon guild, just check the MMO HMO.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Kingsmouth pt 1

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Cythereal posted:

Edit: The Dragon intro hasn't changed. To wit, the person knocking on your door has had his mouth sewn shut. He zaps you with magic and you fall unconscious, waking up as a van dumps you out the back in a valley in Seoul. After following a trail of glowing butterflies to a cheap motel, a drunk college professor gives you a quick rundown on chaos theory and a prostitute sexually assaults you (the PC's consent is, uh, dubious) and at the moment of orgasm your character has the flashback to the Tokyo incident.

:holymoley:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Kingsmouth pt2

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Regallion posted:

The fact that you don't talk to people is just regrettable. Just about every quest-giver NPC and a few non-quest-giver NPCs have a bunch of diiialogue if you care to listen and it ranges from character building to worldbuilding to just fun stuff. Consider showing that off?

Ah, but the reason I don't talk to people is stated in the LP: so you'll play the game!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Kingsmouth pt3

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Regallion posted:

To be fair to hammers, you can also use the dressing room to apply skins to it, some of which are very medieval if you are into that.

Also you can run all story mode dungeons solo by checking the "Private team" box. If you NEED someone to help you for later dungeons, i can lead you through any dungeon at a pretty brisk pace if needed.

I might take you up on that with my lvl50 main, so I can get that sweet, sweet lore.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
If you're desperate to know what the other factions say on mission complete, there is a wiki. However, you will most likely be tempted to just read everything before I get around to doing it.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
what, you don't like the Boogeyman?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Kingsmouth pt4
Today we meet a fortune teller and a cult! Also, I still don't know where the mouse noises are coming from!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
The Polaris
Quick commentary less run-through of the first dungeon. For some reason the starting cutscene cut off, though.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Regallion posted:

For all dungeons - you want to manually take the quest from the relevant quest giver before entering them, as that's how you get the proper introduction to WHY you are going in there. Like, as-is it just seems that you board a helicopter for no reason, big oof.

I did, it just failed to start recording until the helicopter for some reason. I pushed the record button before that, though.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
If anybody cares, it's the 4th anniversary, so there's a bunch of special events going on. I may put up a video of them later. Mostly, it's 2 special boss fights.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Dark Agartha

Dark Agartha is a solo raid requiring you to sacrifice skill points and ability points. If you do it enough, you get a thing that increases items to 4 pips! It's super grindy! I'm only doing it for the lore.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Anniversery Golem Fight

Part of the yearly anniversary is fighting a rotating series of golems, then fighting a gatekeeper in Agartha. I'll see if I can get footage of Hatekeeper.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm not great at video editing and these videos are so short that I don't bother with commentary. My editor is in the UK and I've just sent him the next main video to edit.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Kingsmouth pt 5
Here we meet a megacorp and a skater kid.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Hatekeeper

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Kingsmouth pt 6
Turns out the clicking is my headset! Since I'm not spending another $100 on a headset, we'll have to live with it.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
As a side note, I've finished all story content on my main. All that's left is grinding item power for the last two missions and hoping they release new content someday.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Savage Coast pt 1
Let's talk about Hell
https://wiki.crygaia.org/view/Lore:The_Hell_Dimensions

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Raised

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Savage Coast pt2
In todays video, I admit to having never read Discworld.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Savage Coast pt3
Rollarcoaster!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Savage Coast pt 4
Fake Steven King

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
just got done recording the footage for the next video. 1 hr 22 min. Innsmouth Academy is long.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Innsmouth Academy

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
bad news: I hosed up the recording so we missed a cutscene. Good news: it was just someone saying "go here, talk to this person"

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Savage Coast pt6
Our first encounter with native americans

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Blue Mountain pt 1
We finally find out where the hell the military is in this situation.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Blue Mountain pt 2
Which one of you fuckers was it?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
The Darkness War
Spirit quest!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010