Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

EclecticTastes posted:

Tokyo was where Funcom caved in to the "hardcore gamers" and ramped up the difficulty of the combat significantly (not trying to start a debate, but I was personally not a fan), and it's like, why?
I think the horseshit combat in Tokyo was entirely to try and slow players down so the devs could catch up with content production, kind of like how the previous update wanted you to run a thousand lovely scenarios to earn the "certification" required to be allowed to visit Tokyo (which they started basically giving away once Tokyo went live lol). Anyway the AEGIS system didn't survive the relaunch, to almost universal rejoicing from the playerbase :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
As far as I know the transfer still works but you don't get the stuff until you reach Agartha.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Cooked Auto posted:

Didn't realize you could apparently still do the transfer, even this late. I did it back when they first announced.
I think it was initially meant to be a time limited thing but there were posts about it working on the official forums last year when people started playing during lockdown.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I believe the instancing tries to keep zone population low, for atmospheric reasons and/or to stop people queuing up for mission objectives. There's definitely a hard cap of 13 players per zone (outside of Agartha/hub cities). I haven't logged in for ages though, so I've no idea what the population is actually like nowadays - a lot of people only log in when there's an event or a patch though :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

StoryTime posted:

Hey wow did they actually make this better?
YMMV. I got on alright with the combat in the original but I definitely think the new, simpler combat is an improvement if only for how much more accessible it makes the game. The new gear system is shite but it also doesn't really matter at all unless you're concerned with getting the highest dps score in high tier dungeons.

If all anyone wants to do is play through and enjoy the story the relaunch is definitely a winner in my opinion - even the raid has a story mode (which still "requires" a group but is almost impossible to fail).

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

rastilin posted:

you could re-spec instantly
Unless I'm misremembering, both games are identical in this regard - you can't ever refund spent points but you eventually unlock all the skills/abilities and you can swap what's on your bar at any time (outside of combat).

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Regallion posted:

I can also recommend installing the auto-sprint addon.
I always forget this is actually an addon and not base functionality.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Cythereal posted:

My take on the war golem being a chump compared to what's implied to have happened the last time it was activated is that that time it took everyone by surprise when it presumably went berserk. This time, you were prepared and went in to kill it.
One of my favourite things about the game is that the player character has a real "rip to your grandma but i'm different" vibe going on :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Is Africa that much more difficult than Tokyo? I've only done it on characters that had been spinning their wheels in dungeons for years so I've never gone straight through but having said that, it's not as if the content changes when you swap characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
The best part of The Ankh is when people who haven't turned off "double tap to dodge roll" yeet themselves off the bridge :allears:

Edit: I'm lying of course, the best part is Klein :v: