Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

Also i'm an idiot, I wanted to backlight my TV with strip LEDs and don't have a switched outlet for them. Never occurred to me to use the TV USB. I'll just have to see if it powers off with the TV, if it does that's the solution I've been looking for.

All of them that I've seen do.

Just be really careful about what you buy. A lot of them that I found have touch controls or similar that default to "off" after they lose power. The strip I used has two actual switches (one for color temp one for brightness/off).

E:

I think it came out okay. It's actually a bit brighter than I wanted on its lowest setting but it's close enough.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Blowjob Overtime posted:

This is very quickly becoming one of my favorite forums threads. No idea what the PO's name was on our house, so I'm just going to default to "loving Gary" from now on.

Same man. I knew immediately this would be a great one.

It's funny, living in a condo building there seems to be fewer opportunities for PO fuckery. The worst thing I've found is the many phantom switches in every room that control nothing. And a few 'oops' blanked wall covers that Motronic has referred to.

Motronic posted:

Outs of scrap wood. Yes.

You can by those? That's a thing?

Apparently even Amazon Basics makes them!

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Folding-Sawhorse-900lb-2-Pack/dp/B077K6G4FB

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 18, 2021

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
For those of you playing along at home, we found an XBox controller in the air vent ductwork yesterday as they were being vacuumed out.

Today's special discovery is a full, apparently unused tooth brush in the p-trap of the vanity that's being replaced in the upstairs bathroom. The vanity sink has a full, integrated drain stopper.

loving Gary.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

How? HOW?

POs never cease to amaze.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Also someone decided to run the water lines straight up through the floor joists (this bathroom is on the second floor) instead of through the wall so the plumbing work just doubled. Thankfully we're all of that is being handled by professionals. Good times all around.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
News: New toilets installed today, which is great. They look good and work good. Except that I didn't realize the paint didn't extend behind the tank of the old toilet and the new toilet has different tank dimensions so you can clearly see the old (and vastly different) paint color now. The plumber that installed the new toilet didn't think to ask about this as I was not in the room when he did it.

Views: loving Gary.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
My fear is that the natural order of things is such that it is the fate of all homeowners to - eventually - become somebody else's Gary.

:ninja:

It's you. It's me. It's all of us. In the end, we are all Gary.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I'm sure there are decisions I'm making that will mystify someone else down the line, but some of this poo poo is like :cmon:.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What’s the right word for describing this thread as inspiring and jealousy inducing? I’m a first time future Gary and any one of those projects would necessitate 3-4 trips to the Lowe’s Depot.

It’s too bad painting is such a crappy ratio of prep:fun.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Democratic Pirate posted:

What’s the right word for describing this thread as inspiring and jealousy inducing? I’m a first time future Gary and any one of those projects would necessitate 3-4 trips to the Lowe’s Depot.

It’s too bad painting is such a crappy ratio of prep:fun.

Motronic seems to have a veritable lifetime, probably starting with how he was raised, of experience with these types of projects. I also believe he has been involved at a fairly intimate level, framing to finishing, in the construction of multiple houses start to finish. I don't know all the details of his experience but he could confirm. That type of history and consistent learning is how you to get his level of competency and confidence in these projects.

I love learning about subjects like these where I know gently caress all and it opens up my perspective on how much there is that I don't know, so it's fun to scratch at the surface.

So yeah, I'll probably be a 3-4 LowesDepot trip then screw it up kind of guy forever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Motronic seems to have a veritable lifetime, probably starting with how he was raised, of experience with these types of projects. I also believe he has been involved at a fairly intimate level, framing to finishing, in the construction of multiple houses start to finish. I don't know all the details of his experience but he could confirm. That type of history and consistent learning is how you to get his level of competency and confidence in these projects.

You got the general history correct and you're absolutely right about it being the way to gain competency and confidence. I started out, among other jobs, working for a father and son construction and remodeling business. He was my fire chief at the volunteer place at the time, and we did a lot of fire repair/renos. You learn a lot very quickly when you're not on a specialized crew, but just 4 guys doing entire jobs. It gives you a whole different "toolbox" for what projects you can take on and how you can do them. I think one of the big ones for a lot of interior work that seems impenetrable for people new to this is drywall. Drywall was MADE to be patched. But if you don't have confidence in being able to do it a lot of jobs are just 100% beyond you, because you really do need to get into the walls to do a lot of things. On structural things there are rules you learn (in a code book) that are pretty cut and dry for most situations. If you have a different situation you call up a structural engineer and get an opinion/stamped plan. That seems scary and expensive, but it's really not most times. Electrical? I'm a former fire investigator and municipal code authority. I was the guy that had to sign off on electrical work among other things, plus I've spent a lot of time earlier in my life building out colocation facilities for server and network gear. You need to know a lot about power to do that.

So yeah, just go get decades of experience and any of these projects I'm doing will look super easy. I'm not even actually GOOD at most of this stuff, just competent enough to go slow and effort my way into good results.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How many careers have you had?

"you know back in the day when I was an underwater welder on artic oil rigs"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

skipdogg posted:

How many careers have you had?

"you know back in the day when I was an underwater welder on artic oil rigs"

Entirely too many. Often at the same time. And better described as jobs and not careers.

The one that really matters and the longest duration was the network and telecom engineering thing, where I chased around a bunch of startups until one of them worked out. I suppose that's an ongoing career but I've not been working in that for a year or so, just taking on occasional consulting gigs and spending entirely too much time un-Garying this house.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Time to take down some more dead ash trees. No way to get a crane to these. My tree guys are really good and dropped 3 of them into the same hole in the woods. The other two had to go into the yard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkqYIELVf6E

I'm taking a break, but there's a lot more cleanup to do.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Motronic posted:

Time to take down some more dead ash trees. No way to get a crane to these. My tree guys are really good and dropped 3 of them into the same hole in the woods. The other two had to go into the yard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkqYIELVf6E

I'm taking a break, but there's a lot more cleanup to do.

Way braver than me! The second I see it start moving on its own, I get out of there and watch it from a distance.

You probably get cleaner cuts than I do though :P

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Okay, I'm completely beat. Everything that is destined to be firewood has been piled up. Everything for the saw mill is cut into 16 foot pieces, which are WAY too heavy for me to move with my little baby tractor. I was able to use the grapple to roll a few off to the side, so I think maybe I can move the rest to a spot that the log truck can pick them up.

That big one, the last in the video:

Big tree is big:

It left a trench where it fell, which makes getting the logs to start rolling really fun. The back wheels of the tractor have been off the ground a few times, and that's really not what you want to be doing. I have a 500 lb box blade on the back of it, but I think I'm gonna need more weight for the ones closer to the base.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
drat those are some big logs. You getting it milled and using it yourself or selling the logs to the mill?

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Every time you think you have the worst Gary, think of my Gary.

Fucker repaired the drywall and recarpeted over the hole in the subfloor before selling.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

drat those are some big logs. You getting it milled and using it yourself or selling the logs to the mill?

I'm going to ask the mill about the biggest 32 feet of that huge one. If they think it can be milled successfully I'm gonna have them do that for me and give them dimensions (I think I'm gonna replace the mantle and a bunch of other things but the mantle would be the biggest). Because none of the portable mills I seen (and the people who come out with portable mills) can handle things over 36" or so.

These guys KNOW EAB infested ash, so if they say it's likely firewood I'll believe them.

A lot of that is now back in the woods for firewood, the rest goes to the mill for the cost of them coming to get it the gently caress out of here for me.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 21, 2021

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Motronic posted:

And yeah, you see it with final paint in the earlier pictures (one more coat of oil Killz, 2 coats of latex trim white). This cost me at least an extra 12 hours. For what looked like a couple of paint bubbles.

Like I've been saying.....it's the details. You get into these jobs and you just keep finding things that need doing.

At that point why not just completely re-do the trim? There's a chance that's mdf (you would know) and it'd be a good time to replace it with pine, and you could probably speed this up by painting prior to putting the trip on the wall, then touching up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ntan1 posted:

At that point why not just completely re-do the trim? There's a chance that's mdf (you would know) and it'd be a good time to replace it with pine, and you could probably speed this up by painting prior to putting the trip on the wall, then touching up.

Because it clearly wasn't MDF but old growth pine from the 60s and lumber is triple the normal price.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Well this barely worked:

I can't really lift the skidding tongs high enough, and that log was heavy enough that the front end of the tractor was coming off the ground so I couldn't steer. I went back and pickup up a smaller piece with the grapple and......

This should be close enough for the log truck. If it's not I'll drag them to him one by one.

There's still a lot more to go, but I'm going to need more chain and I've got some more cutting to do:

I really need a bigger tractor for this job. Or a skid steer. Unfortunately I've got neither readily available at the moment so this is gonna have to do.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm exhausted. I've still been doing tree work since the last update. Today was another expensive day, but the last (for now) where I needed a crane.

Crane and operator plus a 2 man tree crew with a chipper and fancy lift.

This was the last standing dead ash that was threatening anything.

I skidded more logs, still had a couple in the woods that I didn't get to. But it's been so dry the awesome log truck goy was able to stove his truck into the tree line and grab them for me:

I have so much equipment that has been run exceptionally hard, is in need of lots of service and also my big saw stopped oiling. I was cutting through a log that was way bigger than the bar so I had to go at it from both sides. Part of the way through things looked dry and started getting smelly. Of course I kept going because dammit I was gonna finish what I was doing. I'm sure at least the bottom of the bar is trashed and the chain is probably toast. It was a brand new chain.

Turns out the plastic gear that drives the oil pump that lives behind the clutch was trashed:

That spring on it is driven by the clutch cover, and that bearing didn't look great. It kinda dug out a lot of then engine case. Take a look at all the metal I washed out with brakleen:

I put it back together and now it won't start. I did nothing to the motor, so I have no idea. I'm not operating anywhere near 100% so I just packed it in. I'll deal with tomorrow.

Oh yeah, I also broke the handle on my small saw.

Everything is going great.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

the awesome log truck goy

I mean I don't see what him being gentile matters but OK.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

I did notice that and refused to edit. L'chaim.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

H110Hawk posted:

It’s important if it’s a Saturday.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Today we have something to make the machinists cringe.

Need to drill 7 3/4" holes in the tractor bucket to install a digging bar. So off to the rental place to get a magnetic base drill:

Throw the bar on, mark the holes:

Meh, good enough:

Plenty of lube, turn on the magnet:
(There's a thread title for something in there)

Wow, these bits sure are getting dull fast. Good thing I borrowed a friend drill doctor for this:

Well.....poo poo.

Oh....right, the bits are getting dull fast because this is a hardened steel edge on a bucket. And the last chip is absolutely devastating them:

Brought the drill back. This job isn't happening today. I'm going to need an end mill or hole hawg, neither of which I'll be able to find around here. So I'm off to grainger to order something.

Not a lot else going on, and there hopefully won't be for the next few weeks. End of the school year stuff, graduation parties, etc.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That looks like a plasma cutter job to me, wow. Or carbide.

How much do those drills cost to rent? I bought a beater one in "great running condition" for 350 on eBay years ago that was absolutely not usable and sunk another 75ish into fixing it up, mostly because I have a tool problem and hate paying rental fees.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

That looks like a plasma cutter job to me, wow. Or carbide.

How much do those drills cost to rent? I bought a beater one in "great running condition" for 350 on eBay years ago that was absolutely not usable and sunk another 75ish into fixing it up, mostly because I have a tool problem and hate paying rental fees.

My local place is $45 for 4 hours.

I'd really like to avoid the plasma cutter. I don't want to make ugly trash holes on a basically new bucket. I need to look around at what's up to it. I know lots of others online have claimed good results with a hole hawg but I've got to look at price and availability.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

With a template I bet you could make it look nice with a plasma.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

With a template I bet you could make it look nice with a plasma.

Could be. I'm also considering "budgeting" a couple of twist drills per remaining hole. I've got 1.97 holes done, need 3 more through the hardened part. The remaining 2 are on the sides of the bucket which is much thinner and almost definitely not hardened. We'll see what end up making the most sense.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Plenty of lube, turn on the magnet:
(There's a thread title for something in there)

Ta-da! :grovertoot:

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 4, 2021

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

lmfao that's perfect

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Motronic posted:

My local place is $45 for 4 hours.

I'd really like to avoid the plasma cutter. I don't want to make ugly trash holes on a basically new bucket. I need to look around at what's up to it. I know lots of others online have claimed good results with a hole hawg but I've got to look at price and availability.

I find the best results with a hole hawg come from good seasonings and a bbq pit :rimshot:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I think they might spin a little too fast for rotisserie usage

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Would using the plasma to start the holes get you over the hump?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wrar posted:

Would using the plasma to start the holes get you over the hump?

Starting a drill bit or end mill into an already existing and not concentric hole is well beyond the capabilities of a mag base drill. That would be a full on set up in a knee mill type of operation to get the required rigidity in my experience. And even then it's a pretty miserable operation.

I'm thinking this might be a good solution, but slow:
https://www.grainger.com/product/MONSTER-Square-End-Mill-45XF35

This might be a cheaper and better solution:
https://holesawsunlimited.com/category/370/product/19988

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I'm wondering if the other drill would have worked better if you pre-drilled the hole with a 3/16" or 1/4" bit first. At the center of the bit is the slowest cutting speed, so with the large chisel tip it's basically shoving through the material rather than cutting. It makes it hard to get the depth of cut needed. It still may have the same problem breaking through though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

I'm wondering if the other drill would have worked better if you pre-drilled the hole with a 3/16" or 1/4" bit first. At the center of the bit is the slowest cutting speed, so with the large chisel tip it's basically shoving through the material rather than cutting. It makes it hard to get the depth of cut needed. It still may have the same problem breaking through though.

Oh, on the second hole I stepped up through about 6 different sizes, nearly breaking every bit in the process on the last chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I mean it has a magnet just mount it to the inside of the bucket and go the other way for the last chip.