Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think there are two ways that I see elements of Fascism in the South....

1) I'd argue there is a an imagined past, but not usually in the sense of re-achieving a once great state. There is both a lot of mythology built around enslavement and the nature of Black people, but also an idea that slavery can be a harmonious thing. As long as the enslaved just do as they're told and people stop trying to tempt them with liberty and intellectualism, they can be happy. The barbarity and sadism of slavery is not inherent to slavery, it's always because of outside forces of enslaved people who just don't understand. I don't think that really fits traditional definitions of slavery. That is a different sort of imagined past than what we traditionally mean when we say fascism though.

2) Where I do see it is in how the enslaved and free Blacks are both inferior to whites, but loving terrifying. You can basically find runaway posters that claim the liberated person is both of course an idiot savage, BUT also clever and cunning. You can find posters for bi-racial people who of course are inferior and need to be brought back into bondage, but are so light skinned they could pretty much just pass for a white person and live their lives as a white. Also, for a people so sure of the inferiority of Blacks, a whole lot of them were terrified of what would happen if these people read books. Once again, the justification against this was that intellectual development is against their platonic happily submissive enslaved person.

In terms of categorization, no the CSA was probably not fascist, but I don't think it's a completely silly observation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU