Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wimsy

samantonio posted:

On some serious poo poo. I struggled with a lot of angst and depression in my younger years. Felt unique, felt isolated, all that crap. Tried some pshrinks, always felt like I knew more than them (I did not). Hated therapy for that reason.

It wasn't until my life completely bottomed out and I got in some serious trouble that I was forced into a group CBT setting for people with my issues. To each their own, but CBT, for me, was a life saver. I see some of the limiting factors of it, but I guess it was really being a group of like-minded people during the CBT that really helped. I was able to spot myself in each of them and see that it was all BS that I was harboring inside. Really helped me call my own poo poo out and start a positive growth path.

this is chill, ty for sharing, glad you are on a positive growth path

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah same. therapy really helped to get some perspective on my life and realize what i thought was normal really wasn’t. that really helped with my will to live and i can’t think of anything more byob than that

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BigClutteredJoey-mobile.mp4
thank u vanisher for the sig
and thank u nesamdoom for the good loops

wimsy

getyting therapy at the phish concert

wimsy

The Chronic Mental Illness - Dr Dre

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Have an unusual place of getting therapy for the next few weeks: D&D group

It's a campaign run by a local therapist for those with anxiety and depression, and so far seems pretty great.

wimsy

"As you enter the Cave of Fear you get the uneasy feeling you're not alone. You hear an ominous murmur."

"I lift my torch high to get a better view of the cave."

"The flickering light dimly illuminates a crowd of people standing around holding drinks and talking to one another. A social gathering!"

"I quickly look for anyone I know!"

"There's no one! You've arrived too early, and what's worse, you are the only one who is dressed for adventuring. Everyone is staring at you!

"I search the room for a corner to stand in awkwardly."

"You find such a corner. Their interest in you subsides."

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

my therapist keeps asking me to hang around his house for a while so it doesn’t seem suspicious and it’s really annoying but the therapy is really good so i just deal with it

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BigClutteredJoey-mobile.mp4
thank u vanisher for the sig
and thank u nesamdoom for the good loops

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Therapy is not a drug

cruft

It's been 14 months since anybody on my team has wanted me to listen to their problems. I feel like the worst manager in the world now, except for all the other managers in the same situation. Since the people I manage have miraculously figured out how to deal with their own personal problems, I'm gonna go ahead and open my office hours to BYOB. Anything y'all want to talk about, just go ahead and post ITT and I, cruft, will be here to listen.

xcheopis

I started therapy for ongoing ptsd not that long before lockdown and didn't feel it was going well (she called me by the wrong name on three occasions, two of those being in the same session!) and after one phone visit last March I just gave up and relied on floof therapy.

During the phone visit, I mentioned that ~all this~ was making my anxiety much worse and she said that maybe I could use the advice she'd given to another patient about my age: Hey, it's ok to let that stuff go because really it's past time for young people to step up and take on some responsibility! (paraphrasing only a little)
I didn't actually scream out loud but I was a bit curt in my rebuttal (young people need to take responsibility for problems caused and exacerbated by previous generations?!?!???? what is wrooooong with you!!!!!!) and just never scheduled another appointment.

At some point I'll look into another therapist but my insurance won't pay for out-of-network stuff and I no longer trust that network at all. Ah, well. Life in these United States.

In better news, finally being able to walk more first thing in the morning and starting the slow process back to full strechyness has really bolstered my mood. :buddy:

Zil posted:

Have an unusual place of getting therapy for the next few weeks: D&D group

It's a campaign run by a local therapist for those with anxiety and depression, and so far seems pretty great.

That is super cool!

wimsy posted:

"As you enter the Cave of Fear you get the uneasy feeling you're not alone. You hear an ominous murmur."

"I lift my torch high to get a better view of the cave."

"The flickering light dimly illuminates a crowd of people standing around holding drinks and talking to one another. A social gathering!"

"I quickly look for anyone I know!"

"There's no one! You've arrived too early, and what's worse, you are the only one who is dressed for adventuring. Everyone is staring at you!

"I search the room for a corner to stand in awkwardly."

"You find such a corner. Their interest in you subsides."

lol

With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus