Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3tH1993uXI

What is this game?

Pump it Up is a rhythm dancing game that is very popular in South Korea, Americans, and in other part of the world. With a global community of enthusiasts of all ages, skill levels, and backgrounds. If you have ever heard of games like DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) then more than likely you will know and understand PIU. The game features some popular artists from Korea and features different genres of music for everyone to enjoy. And if you like K-pop then you will love this game. It's filled to the rim with it, and with the latest version Pump it Up XX 20th Anniversary edition; it features almost every song from previous iterations of the dancing game.

KD, we are in the middle of a Pandemic. It's not safe to go to an arcade and play this game.

While this game requires you to somewhat be around people. Practice social distancing guidelines, wearing a mask, and washing your hands often will help provide some help. I have noticed some arcades in my area put up ropes for people to stand a little further back and allow the fans to hit players while not spreading the virus everywhere. Some arcades do not care and you should not risk yourself if you do not feel comfortable.

With that said if you are not comfortable playing this game at the arcades; there is another option you can use with your fingers at home and for free! Pump it Up! M Is on the andriod and iTunes store and is kindof a barebones method of playing.

I'm interested in playing! What do I need?

This might be a little difficult depending on where you live. In my area we just recently got the new Pump it Up version but it takes a little drive time to get there. A typical game usually costs a dollar for 3-4 songs, depending if you pass all of the songs prior to get the bonus song stage at stage 4.

:siren: GET SOME GOOD SHOES! :siren:

I can not stress this enough. But once you start enjoying and getting into the game. Pump it up is going to kick your rear end physically. Your arcade should allow you to have bottle water on tap and fans to help prevent players from having a stroke. But you need a good pair of shoes so your feet won't blister up and make you miserable as you work on your off days from playing. Seriously, invest in good shoes.

:siren: If your arcade does not provide water or fans. Do not play at that arcade :siren:

That poo poo needs to be illegal. You will find some of the advances players sweating their asses off from what seems like they have ran a marathon.

Alright, I am on the dance floor. How do I play?

It's best to start with something slow, and easy. The game features multiple ways to play. But let's start with the basics! From this point forward in the thread you may see me post in a Song title in bold with a letter and a number. This is to help people find a cool song they enjoy followed by if its easy or not. S stands for Singles meaning you have one side of the pad to dance on. And D for Doubles. Which is using both sides of the pad. It is highly recommended to play on singles first. As well as a very low number if you are new to the game. An S 3-7 are very welcome starting difficulties for singles and you can safely move on to Doubles at around S 12. 10 if you are ballsy. Let's start with an easy song:

Bang Bang Bang S6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m03VgMiF9Bs

When you are on the dance floor the inputs look a lot like a five sided dice. You must move your feet to the corresponding note coming up on the screen as it matches the beat. Its as simple as that! Your arcade should also have a bar you can hold onto for support if needed at any time. If you are a rule nut like I know some people are; rest assured that bar is part of the "Rules" of the game. You are free to use it whenever you want and do not let anyone make you feel uncomfortable when using it. It is even allowed in competitions as well as freestyle rules. Most importantly it is a safety feature.

After a couple days of playing and having fun if you would like a more fun challenge then Doubles is where the real fun begins:

Repentance D12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udiufiAZqSM

The most important thing about this game is that this is a dancing game. The company who makes this game, Andamiro has made this game to be resonating to dancing enthusiasts while still catering to the more technical and enduring players. What Doubles does is it opens your mind into beginning to learn some of the more complex methods of play the community has discovered. I never really had my skin in the game when it came with communities on the internet; the method is still the same even after the 20+ years of my knowledge with the game. My point being here is that doubles will eventually force players into learning literal body movements to comfortably and quickly master during your climb up the difficulties.

After every song performance comes with a grade very similar to other dancing games. Any grade higher than "F" with a color means the song is legitimately passed. An example is shown here:

If machines have their "Break" enabled. Then no matter how poor you perform at the game it will not end the song after a certain miss threshold. Thus usually if that's happening you will see grades have a broken texture and bland color. That means the grade wasn't technically legitimate.

The only ways I know how to cheat in this game. Is having an outside mechanism to hit the notes for you based on a program. Or having another human being when the song is made for one person (Except Co-Op. That is allowed). The rest is between you and the fairness of the game. It's your floor!

One tip that I share from one player to another especially if they are really trying to get better. Is keep your eyes visually on the middle of the screen to "Read" the notes. Do not have your eyes look up and try to hit the notes exactly as it lands in its place as you hit the corresponding note. Your ears is doing that job for you; they are always in some form part of the beat of the music. And do not have your eyes focused on the amount of combos you are getting. I like to look a little below or above that area as I am reading the notes during gameplay.

For some reason my brain comes up with its own method from there on out. All of the notes in every song follow a specific pattern or gimmick that may take a long time to elaborate but the main focus I always tell myself is when you are first learning. Your left and right foot can not hit a different note after each other. You will waste your energy having this mindset (Unless you are holding a note). Your left foot should be hitting one note and your right foot should be hitting the following note.

Now how insane does this game get?

Like I said before; this game can and will kick your rear end if you allow it to. Even though I am experienced enough to read and understand some difficult songs, that does not mean I can do it 100% of the time physically with my legs and body. Some of the songs in this game can get mentally draining especially during long sessions because of the mental demand to catch the notes during sporadic moments. When you get to the levels numbered 18+ then the game starts to throw some very strange curve balls at you. Some are endurance rounds, some are visually trying to throw you off, and during higher difficulties its a combination of the two. It soon and quickly turns into a workout for the player and it feels absolutely awesome to physically overcome a challenge like that.

A perfect example of this is what I am currently going through now. Here is Kimchi Fingers on D21.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6todkj13Sc

There are certain segments of this song that would hair raise some newbies. Like the duo notes coming in rapid fire, the duo hold notes followed up with hitting other notes. This song is literally going to force the player to use their heels as well as their toes if they want to master hitting more than two notes. And if you look hard enough a lot of that makes sense with the duo notes on this song. For a long time Pump it up teaches you something and its songs like this that rewires what you know.

But keep in mind the later difficulties of this game gets even harder than what has been shown so far. And once you have made it this far keep in mind that the workout you get from this game is incredible and its great to get active to feel better.

Some of these songs are downright frustrating to listen and read at the same time. Ill go ahead and spoil what is obviously one of the hardest songs in the entire game. And its only been physically passed by about 7 people globally. You read that right:

1949 D28 as performed by Franco Caņoles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7t7XN0rtfE

One of the best players in the United States is a guy named Happyf333tz. And his showcase of speed and skill was on full display for the last couple of AGDQ marathons. It's highly recommended to watch him play as you can see a little bit of the ceiling players are currently experiencing today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjoG2LRrTFk

The ceiling may be high but as far as I know the community for this isn't too weird. Your local arcade experience may vary. And I know some people who have been super helpful in my own personal journey with this game. I just let my flag fly and have fun dancing. That to me is all that matters.

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I have been practicing at home. Though currently almost done purchasing a hand pad to use at home; a keyboard will have to do for the time being. Sucks I can't do doubles but hopefully soon I can get back into it.

But for now here are some >S20s to show off:

Robot Battle S18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa5Kz769SB4
Its hard hitting 16th notes when the only method of input is your pointer finger, bird, and thumb on one side and your thumb and pointer on the other hand. But at least I can still read it!

Yog-Sothoth S18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKk0i0YfAVs
Again, those 16th notes are a pain with your fingers.

King of Sales S18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQXj6fDXhho
Sorry no BGA here. But the song still owns and there are some fun parts to show off.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Is this the thread where we talk about iamchris4life?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Discendo Vox posted:

Is this the thread where we talk about iamchris4life?

Had to google search him and sure. But he plays DDR as far as I am aware. But go for it.

Moonlight S18 Another (Another is short for Another level of difficulty higher than what is advertised)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urj0br5wbIQ

Edit:

Dignity S20! :siren: Flashing light warning :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY54OqqrlGo

Number Nine S15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gsFzJcR6bQ
I am not a huge fan of Kpop but there are song like these that I enjoy playing that sound very appealing. Also the steps are very fun and can be very comfortable to perform in based on the music.

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 5, 2022