Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

“I’m good, thanks.”

Ronan nods to a few of his regulars as they pass.

“I think I know most of you at least a bit, but you can call me Ronan.”

quote:

Name: Ronan Elliott
Handle: "Doesn't know what a social media is"
Pronouns: He/Him

Origin: Criminal (1st Prep roll before a mission is Boosted)
Burden: 1
Personal Goal: Make amends to someone my old jobs hurt.

Cool: +2 (Defense 10, 11 with headband)
Clever: +0 (Defense 7)
Tough: +3 (Defense 13)
Quick: +1 (Defense 8)

Traits: Stoic (+1 Cool Defense, but when something makes you lose your Cool, you have Disadvantage on your next roll.), Known Asset (Identical to Hush Money, but representing having savings from his merc days but being known to the Cartel)

Talents: Gun Safety Bear, Martial Arts

Specialties: Defense: Tough +3, Criminal Underworld +1, Gourmet Chef +1, Country, Western and Guitar +1, Combined Style MMA +2, Action: Interrogate +1

Assets: Badass Headband, Gym, License (Guns, Combat Augments), Small Local Business (Restaurant)

Augments: Combat Augment: Subdermal Armor (+1 Defense: Tough, included above)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ronan is quiet as Izzy talks, watching the video.

“Cops won’t care about this. He’s got a job, right? He must be fine.”

He shakes his head, then picks up the phone to check the last called numbers.

“Now, if I were trying to pick him up, job offer would be the easy way. Good offer, not too high, then sweep him and snatch when he comes in to the office. Quiet. But to set that up...you’d need to talk to him a few times. If he was job hunting while here, he probably made the call with this. Me, I’d just hit redial to find out who, but maybe one of you nerds has a better way.”

He puts the phone down.

“Still possible this is above board, of course. But...well. If I were fishing for warm bodies, that’s how I’d do it.”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ronan turns to stare at Blake.

“You’re kidding, right?”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

“Izzy, do you have beer? I need a drink.”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ronan shrugs.

“That’s possible, but if he was abducted, they’ll have muscle anyway. That’s why Izzy asked me to come. I don’t think you’ll find him by normal missing persons methods.”

He picks the phone up again and selects the last called number, as long as it’s not one he recognizes, then hits dial.

“Assume there’s an opposition. We need to find out who they are.”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ronan takes a swig, and when he speaks its with...probably a New Jersey accent? It’s not his normal slight drawl, anyway.

“Oh, you know whose phone this is? That’s fuckin’ awesome, bro. I found this and I couldn’t find no name on it! You know where I can find this Reggie and give him his phone back?”

<@245023382062628864>,
'Cool bullshitting', ` 12 ` ⟵ [**6**, 4] 2d6 + 2

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 11, 2021

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

“You got it, bro! I’ll drop by a little later. Maybe pick up a robo cat for my girl, know what I mean? No worries, bro!”

Ronan hangs up and sighs.

“So, good news, I found what I’m pretty sure was his last job before this. Bad news - he was working at a fight club, unless he was real good with robot pets. I’m guessing, though, he was an under the table emergency medic or courier. Ring of Coolant’s big money...”

Pause. He turns to Condor.

“I don’t see the angle for them to be involved in Reg, but check with your people if they’ve heard anything. That’s a place they absolutely get a cut.”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ronan sighs, but makes a gesture of annoyed acceptance, which easily transitions into downing the rest of his beer.

“Oh, right. One other thing. If any of you think you’re in danger, or you think you’re being followed, call me. Izzy wouldn’t have called me in if there was no chance of danger, and I’m going to keep y’all alive.”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dammit, Blake...”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Over the course of last week, Ronan spent most of his time making calls to fixers, contacts and others in the criminal underworld, just trying to piece together what might be going on with hired muscle and new jobs of late.

Group Prep: 14, Cool+Criminal Underworld. 3 group prep.

As he gets ready to help check out Ring of Coolant, he mostly hits his personal gym, both to clear his mind and limber himself up in case he has to play bodyguard.

Personal Prep: 17, Tough+Combined Style MMA, Boosted by Criminal, Advantage from Gym. 5 personal prep. Anyone who wants to use the second use of the Gym is free to.

Also, starting at 3 Cash. 1 from Izzy, 2 from business.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 12, 2021

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Personal Prep: 5, Cash: 2

Ronan has changed into a subtly ill-fitting suit, and is now following Condor around in silence. He isn’t trying to be intimidating yet, instead assuming the stance of muscle that is currently not required. The kind of muscle that androids rarely have - a deferent and obedient human.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Personal Prep: 4, Cash: 2

“My employer,” Ronan tilts his head towards Condor, “Is looking for someone. Someone who we understand worked here sometimes. Your work here’s good, we know you have some of the best items here, well sourced. What my employer is concerned about is your employee, Reg Darrow. We have some questions for him about some of his ideas - I made some inquiries that told me he’d been working on something we might be interested in. You seen him around lately?”

His tone and status as muscle probably imply that they aren’t casually inquiring, but also heopefully that they have a positive interest. Maybe something that could help the Ring.

Interrogate: Clever plus Criminal Underworld + Interrogate, boosted with 1 Prep', 18 vs Cool.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

“That right? Your boss got a name? Maybe we can work something out with him.”

Ronan opens up the drawers to look through. His main understanding of tech is how to hurt people with it, but snapping some pictures with his phone should let the nerds figure it out, right?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ronan quickly scoops up the phone and associated machines, pocketing them before he closes the drawer. "I don't know enough about android parts to say much, but they don't look special to me. I don't think these guys are connected to all this - not directly. But they might know if Reg was working on something big that someone might be - whatever this poo poo is we found, that guy wasn't shocked we were interested."

Once Hunter arrives, it's back to being the deferential bodyguard. "Sir." Ronan glances over at Condor to pick up any directions she feels like signaling, then turns back to Hunter.

"I'm sure you recognize my employer. You run a good thing here, and we'd heard your man, Reg, had been working on something. We've come around to see if we could talk to him about his ideas, but seems we missed him. We were hoping you could fill us in on the details and point us to where we might catch up with the man."

'Interrogate, Clever + Criminal Underground + Action: Interrogate', 9 ⟵ [4, 3] 2d6 + 0 + 1 + 1

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ronan briefly considers just going straight to threats - it’d be so easy.

Instead he turns to Condor, letting her decide the play. “Ma’am.”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

“Interfere how? Just messing things up with the showmanship, or interfering with the fights too?”

Ronan glances around quickly, trying to identify the bookies. That’s the first possibility - hacker trying to mess with the betting to make bank. Second...might be some idiot trying to make a name or build a rep online, or just some fan being stupid.

“These hacks usually happen during your big cards? Lots of money going on the bets?”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

"At least one person will need to be inside, I think, to place the bets. If they're aiming at big cards, it's probably to make money on the betting. I'm hoping this is just a one person job, though...a crew would be a problem."

Ronan shrugs.

"But you're right, it could be a crew. I think we can flush out the better if we scare 'em, though. You just go over to the bookies over there and get them to understand that there's a problem and bets need to be frozen while we handle it. I'll take care of the problem once you flush it out that way."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Personal Prep: 3, Cash: 2

Ronan has, of course, been waiting for this exact moment. He steps out in front of the door, striking with a pair of quick blows to the gut to slow the cyborg down, then grabbing the arm going for the weapon to twist it up behind the guy.

"Drop it. Now."

Rush, boosted with Prep, Tough + Combined style MMA: 18

Taking the option to grab the guy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Personal Prep: 2, Cash: 2

Ronan nods. “Of course.” He pockets the memory card.

Once the group meets back up - possibly at the House, because Ronan has no idea there might be tracking trouble but also would be confident he can handle it if necessary - he relaxes from the stiffness of his role.

“Well, this is some poo poo.” He brings out the memory card and the device he stole from Reg’s drawer. “No idea what this thing is, but Reg was working on it, and it stuck out to me. Something special, maybe. One thing I can tell you - he was last seen with one of the New Barons’ hitters. This idiot named Lewis. Calls himself the Eagle, tries to get everyone else to do it, too.”

Even if not at the House, he’s gotten a knife and ingredients for some kind of dish together, slamming his knife down hard in a moment of annoyance.

“Have you ever heard a guy from Italy try to do a Texas accent and wear a ten gallon hat? That guy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

"It's an Earth thing, it's like..."

Ronan gestures with a knife.

"...like imagine some guy coming up to you with a plastic mask and beep noises because he thinks robots are the coolest. Oh - here, smell this, tell me what you think? I'm trying something with fennel and garlic in a sausage ragu. I've wanted to find ways to get the art across even without taste, and I thought if I could capture the aroma like this..."

He puts the knife down and pours a bit of the sauce into a small, slightly heated plate.

"...maybe it'd get across some of the experience. Anyway, that guy hangs out at one of the Baron bars...where was it - ah, right. The one that makes a big deal out of being like an old speakeasy? With the lovely jazz."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ronan has interacted with Lewis before and has absolutely no desire to again if he can avoid it. Fortunately, Tsukino has volunteered…and fortunately, it’s open mic night. Ronan has grabbed his guitar and, as Tsukino starts flirting, has gotten to the stage.

“Hey…I know this place is used to jazz, but I have a song I wrote back on Earth.” His tone is hesitant, far less confident than usual, hoping that Lewis won’t recognize his voice. “This song…it’s about the roads not taken, and the people you leave behind, and love.”

He pauses a moment, almost bashfully, and then busts into song.

”Well, I know they say all good things, must come to some kind of ending. We were so drat good, I guess we never stood a chance…”

Charm: Cool 2, Country, Western and Guitar 1, rolled 15. Making the mood Friendly, wistful and romantic.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ronan finishes out his song, puts on the aw-shucks routine and plays an encore to give Tsukino more mood music.

Once it seems clear things will keep going this way, he finishes up and sends out a quick text.

‘Once you’re done, get him outside. We’ll need to wrap this guy up so he won’t talk after.’

Pause, then immediate follow up.

‘I’ll handle it once he’s outside.’

Ronan has no desire to let Lewis brag to his friends after this and blow the mission…and also just really, really doesn’t like Lewis.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 16, 2021

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ronan lurks in the alley, waiting for the right moment - a good moment to grab Louis as he passes by, mainly. He trusts that Condor and Tsukino will keep attention away - they won't need to do it for long. He takes only a split second to grab Louis and drag him into the alley, slamming him against the wall of the building.

He lashes out with a quick pair of jabs to the gut, aiming to drive the wind out of Louis so he can't shout.

"Don't speak until I say so, or this gets worse. Clear? Nod."

Grab: 12, thanks to Tough +3 and MMA +2.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Personal Prep: 1, Cash: 2

“Now, you’re going to tell me where you took the mechanic from the fighting ring. You know the guy, Reg. You tell me where you took him and who you took him to. Speak now.”

Ronan cracks his knuckles.

“And once I leave, you tell anyone about this, and I’ll be back. We clear?”

Spending 1 Prep, Threaten: 13.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

“Reg gets in a fight with your boys, and out of the kindness of your heart you pay his medical bills? Convince me-“

Ronan stops, annoyed, and pulls out his buzzing phone. He glances at it.

“Hang on a sec. There’s definitely something you’re not telling me.”

He puts the phone away.

“Because I’m hearing he was working on your tablet? So - clear this all up for me. What’s Reg working on for you, and why is it so important you don’t care he busted up one of your friends? Oh - and what kind of muscle has Liebert got? I think you tell me that, and we’re square. Don’t, and I break your legs and drag you with me to see your pal.”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ronan nods. "Okay. That makes sense." Pause. "Or at least as much as anything that comes out of your mouth. We're square."

Ronan pauses.

"...but you know I have to put you down for a bit, right? You'll wake up in the alley in twenty minutes. No permanent damage. You talk to anyone about this and I hear about it, I come back and I'm not so nice."

He strikes with a quick gut blow to double Lewis over, then quickly chokes him to sleep. He's almost gentle about how he stuffs the man behind some trash and doesn't even steal his wallet. He does, however, make a point of putting the hat under some of the trash, because it is not a good hat.

Then he heads out of the alley and sends the info to the others.

quote:

I've had a chat with our cowboy. He's got no idea what Reg wanted with the tablet but I think we want to find out. But we need to chat with the last guy to see him - street doc named Liebert. He's got Wire Fur muscle, though, and I doubt he'll be forthcoming. This might get rough.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ronan is exceptionally out of place in Evil Maid Attack. It shows.

"Swear to god, I have no idea how these folks put up with the outfits..."

He sniffs his coffee as he pulls the machinery he grabbed.

"Is this instant? You have a French press here? Moka pot? Anyway...found these at Reg's job. I have no idea what they do, guessed someone else might. What I do know, though...we're going to need to be careful when we go see the doctor. Last place I can say for sure Reg went, and the Wire Furs aren't pushovers."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Personal Prep: 1, Cash: 0

“Why would I want to wear one?” Ronan is deeply confused by the idea, and frustrated that he’s even getting asked. He takes the cash without complaint - he may have left Lewis his wallet, but he’s not actually going to object to using it. “If they get rough, I’ll get them focused on me.”

He makes a call as they head out, taking a brief detour to pick up an armored jacket. While he is confident, it’s always best to be prepared, after all.

Once he arrives, he sets up in front of the alley, near the offerings, with an open (and very beat up) guitar case, playing the blues and keeping an eye on the graffiti door. He’s pretty sure the Wire Furs will want to drive him off, but that means they’ll be paying attention to him, not anyone else.

Acquire Asset to get covert armor, 'Cool vs 7 to acquire asset', ` 9 ` ⟵ [4, 3] 2d6 + 2

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 31, 2021

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

"What?" Ronan gestures at his guitar case. "Gotta make some cash, man, I ain't got a place to stay tonight. Won't be in your way! This place's got great acoustics, you know?"

He goes back to playing.

"Come on, you like music? Give a guy a hand here. Name a song and gimme five bucks and I play it."

'vs Clever, listen to my song', ` 7 ` ⟵ [3, **1**] 2d6 + 3

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 3, 2021

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

pre:
trst mr i got th4s h2ndle
Ronan is not good at typing blind on his phone even if he can manage to read the AR display.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

“Hey, bro, get your hands off me!”

Ronan isn’t going to make this easy for the Wire Furs - especially because as a worst case, he needs to make sure they can’t interfere inside.

As he is bundled off, he drops the guitar, shifting around to grab his first assailant and shove them away. He follows up by quickly grabbing a handful of cables off the pile of offerings and whipping them around in a wide arc, aiming to tangle them in the fake fur of his foes.

“Don’t loving touch me, man!”

'vs Quick or Tough as a Distract, targets two enemies at a time', ` 12 ` ⟵ [**6**, **1**] 2d6 + 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Prep: 1, Cash: 0

Ronan moves with practiced ease, catching the blows coming in at him and deflecting them away from anywhere vital. He takes a few hits, but none that rattle him or get much past his dermal armoring. Tossing aside the wires, he shifts to shoving to try and clear some space, but with relatively little force. His split focus, watching for reinforcements or cops, has kept him from making a clean takedown. Sloppy, he chides himself.

ruining days', ` 9 ` ⟵ [2, **1**, **1**] 3d6 + 5

Even with advantage, that’s an 8, so that’s a pretty certain miss on my Rush attempt. They do have to make a Tough save vs 8 or be knocked down, though.

Double distract, so I rolled another die, which was 4, so that’s an 11, not an 8, and the save is vs 11.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 2, 2022