Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AccountSupervisor posted:

The most reassuring thing about AotD in regards to the genre is everyone involved seems extremely aware of how much its been done to death and set out with the goal of making something that pushes the genre in new directions.

Im sure it will have a lot of elements of other zombie pieces of media that go outside the norm but I get the distinct feeling this takes a sort of fantasy approach to the "Undead" with a scifi twist given the origin of the virus being tied to Area 51.

One of the very first things in the movie is the military convoy rolling out from Area 51 with a couple of incongruous lights in the sky, that zip off in different directions unnoticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's like this really is a Payday heist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

moths posted:

I missed the robots when was it and were they cool?

Also what the gently caress there were four movies worth of weird in the background and none of it got developed.

Blue alien glow baby
Robots?
THEIR OWN BODIES
Blue mist for brains

Don't forget the UFOs as well!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ruddiger posted:

I really liked this movie. Some of the gore was more visceral than I was expecting. That shot in the opening of the zombie getting pulverized by the 50 cal was shockingly graphic.

...okay, that sounds suspiciously like a Fallout New Vegas reference. (given that's literally the first thing you see in the game. Well, a raider, but still)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You lot say like a lovely boss giving you a task they know is impossible and going 'Oh well, so say, while you're there...' regardless of the stakes is remotely unrealistic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

McCloud posted:

That's actually true.

Uh, how about when they accidentally (hopefully) made Malthusians lovely ideas popular again?

That's literally the alt-right's entire deal. Nothing's edgier than fascism.

I think the movie has the right idea to steal ideas from Dead Rising; that a zombie plague as a containable issue that's more a threat to individuals is a lot more interesting than the at this point played out zombie apocalypse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That feels like exactly what "edgy" means. Having a bunch of dumb shallow reactionary opinions that are not actually transgressive and are mostly just the most traditional ideas possible wrapped up in extreme teen language.

South Park or Family Guy is edgy.

Hottest take is that 'edgy' is just capitalism taking its mask off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, there is some merit in the idea that different actors will bring different performances, /energy/charisma/etc, and some actors might not gel with the script & initial directorial vision.

I cant imagine seeing Chris D'Elia as the lynchpin holding Army of the Dead together though. If anything Tig Notaro is pointed out as one of the highlights of the film, even by people critical of the film.

I'm reminded of a suggestion for when movies can basically digitally cast anyone they want; Predator with the cast of The Magnificent Seven.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty sure the employer is 100% banking on the mercs not doing the math on exactly what it takes to carry all those dollars out of the vault- especially in the heat of it when their extraction isn't the tandem rotor helicopters you'd expect to haul nearly that much weight. Like there's probably a whole speech for "Whoops, didn't think of that! While, while you're there..."

Like the whole premise would translate perfectly to a Payday heist, and that's a gimmick that'd fit in perfectly.

Also, a theory on the robot zombies; considering the theories that the zombies are an alien nanomachine weapon being crudely used, it would make a lot of sense that certain zombies further enough along are having their body parts slowly replaced by alien technology, and the 'robots' are the furthest along in that process.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zombie Superman still just reminds me that was meant to be the patient zero of Marvel Zombies but they couldn't make it subtle enough to dodge copyright.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Judakel posted:

We're not talking symbolism. Also, he is Zeus.

All pissed off that no one cares about Zeus anymore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

'Nihilism' is a word abused to meaninglessness by modern pundits referring to anything they don't care to understand or bringing up problems they don't want to acknowledge.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Spacebump posted:

I watched this again with a friend that hadn't seen it. In the scene where Martin is killed by the tiger. There is a very brief moment when the tiger's head turns that you can see a fainter version of the blue glow from the tiger eye that some of the other zombies have.

And that reminds me of people complaining that the level of damage and decay to the tiger's body means it shouldn't be able to roar. It's quite likely that doesn't matter anymore.

Still got a theory that the 'virus' is slowly turning the zombies into... something else. Likely becomes more obvious the more damaged they are and the longer they've been around (and whether they're Alphas, which the tiger may likely be) as artificial body parts are developed to make up for nonfunctional original ones.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Of course, from the US government perspective, Zeus is an escaped bioweapon that they intended to inflict on a scapegoat nation likely as a pretence to nuke them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zohan was one of the Sandler movies he seemed to put effort into iirc, given it's got some extensive action sequences.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I am anxiously awaiting the sequel: gently caress Around with The Zohan and Find Out

It's one of the worst possible times to be making a movie with that premise right now, I'd imagine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

My favourite reading of 300 is still that the Spartans- devout warriors and heteronormative martyrs defending their home- represent stereotypical Middle Easterners, while the Persians- diverse, technologically advanced, decadent and queer imperialists- represent Westerners.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

Those aren't the social conditions for fascism. Zeus cannot possibly be a fascist, for the same reasons that Luke Skywalker cannot possibly be a desklamp.

Excellent post, except for my Brave Little Toaster fanfiction

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And they do call them lightsabers...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lol that I'm not the only one who reflexively types New Vegas

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The state of movies is such that a charming heist picture without any flaws automatically trounces most of the years' 'biggest' films.

But this one is even trickier for being an actually-good version of Baby Driver. That sort of 'live action Paddington' magical realism stuff is pretty hard to pull off.

Magical realism in general is something a lot of American directors seem to struggle with. See why a lot of adaptations of kids' stories that absolutely require it can end up getting weird as a result. Though some of those pull it off flawlessly not even just because they have to, Toy Story comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

While I don't like zombie stuff I'm shamefully interested in the Lore here. I wanna know what's up with those UFOs.