Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I was tired of zombie stuff 10 years ago but have avoided the genre and now am pretty psyched to see someone with Snyder's talent take another crack at it (especially with nearly 2 decades of experience amassed since Dawn)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

Once McCloud shows up again, literally all the exact people I was trying not to mention will have said the exact thing I'm talking about. :thumbsup:

"I'm not going to name names but here's one very specific name, also even tho I have these people ignored I know that they are saying the exact thing I'm accusing them of while boasting about having them on ignore"

what is the point of posting like this exactly?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Comrade Fakename posted:

"Edgy" was probably a sillier term than I should have used, but you're the one who was claiming that Disney wouldn't allow Snyder to include elements in his films, and I ask what these too-hot controversial inclusions are?

TBF they said Snyder would "want to have stuff in it that they don’t want" and one incredibly basic thing is: there's no way Snyder would want a second unit directing all (or even the majority of) the action for his movie.

I honestly think Snyder pre-JL fiasco would have gotten along with Marvel alright since he seems like a pretty reasonable guy overall. He seemed to follow studio notes and included world building stuff they requested in MoS and BvS, and was even following a lot of their directives with Justice League until he basically reached a breaking point where their micro-managing became too much for him*. I absolutely think after that experience he wouldn't go back to do a big franchise film where he didn't get to be the one making a lot of the final decisions, not even because his stuff is "too extreme mannnnn" or whatever but because he has probably had enough of that kind of studio oversight.

* and again, for context, I think his breaking point here was pretty generous: he had pitched Justice League as a trilogy and they agreed and were totally on board with his ideas and direction until the backlash to BvS hit and they started chipping away at this, taking it from a trilogy to a two-parter to a single movie that they kept trying to whittle down to 2 hours when he finally just said "this isn't what I signed on to make" and cut his losses

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NieR Occomata posted:

Calling Sean Spicer a mouthpiece for a man who attempted to install a dictatorship is perhaps the least inflammatory and most accurate way of describing his role in the Trump administration to the point where I’d sincerely wonder if you were in a coma for the past four years if you had a problem with that characterization.

I don’t really have a problem with Spicer in the movie but it’s absolutely a sour note for this movie to play given the context within which he appears, and left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth early on.

For context, there's a history of people accusing Snyder of being a fascist provocateur and his fans of being chuds who mainly like his stuff because Disney is too woke for them. So describing what was probably at worst a poor-taste gimmick casting in the manner above probably got people's defenses way up.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NieR Occomata posted:

That’s on Snyder for deciding to give a mouthpiece for a fascist racist piece of poo poo a paycheck for appearing in his movie, not on the rando sa forums poster for calling it out as such.

And again it more speaks to how Snyder has no self-control or thinks through the real world implications of what he is doing in preference to doing something that looks cool or is some super sick awesome own. The process was certainly Snyder thinking that his incredibly powerful awesome political allegory would be even better and more clever if Sean Spicer was in it, ignoring he was making a dumb heist zombie movie and not Schindler’s loving List.

But again, let me be clear, this is part and parcel with the Snyder brand. He thinks that he and only he can make a movie this “clever” and “layered” when it’s actually infantile and plebeian nonsense at its most skin deep and pointless of criticisms that all adds up to being a load of nothing. Nothing that should’ve been excised by any script doctor worth their salt who could’ve given the entire pointless Camp analogy a once-over and gone “Zack all of this needs to be cut, it’s not given enough screen time for the political analogy to be meaningful and it just distracts from the central thrust of the movie”. Army continuously and repeatedly makes this fundamental storytelling failure in its two and a half hour runtime for no good reason, entirely because the director wrote the script and everyone involved in making this movie who held the purse strings was in lockstep about how Snyder is some brilliant genius whose every thought is pure gold.

Lol see this is the exact thing, you make a fairly reasonable point that Snyder shouldn't have given a paycheck to Spicer, okay fair, criticism noted.

Then you go on this rant about Snyder's major flaws as a filmmaker that seem made up out of whole cloth. Like, "he thinks he and only he can make a movie this 'clever' and 'layered'..." is completely contradicted by everything people who work with and collaborate with him have ever said about him, and how genuinely enthusiastic a fan of movies he seems to be (based on his own interviews but also the slew of references he puts in his films) and how he seems to value input from all sides. You're not even just critiquing flaws in the story, you're making up behind-the-scenes justifications for why those flaws happened which seem to be entirely "everyone involved is stupid and thinks Snyder is a genius, when only I can see through this mirage"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NieR Occomata posted:

is actively ignoring reality

Yeah you're just making up some new reality in your head

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I heard Tarantino is doing his own version of 'Happy Feet' that's NC-17

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

I took the time loop speech just Vanderohe being dramatic to setup his sweet detonation.

On initial watch I wasn't sure if like a bunch of it was in Dieter's head since like, Peters was wearing a different shirt, and yeah the handkerchief and necklace were there but I thought he "noticed" those after Van's speech. So I thought maybe it was a little bit of fun like Dieter was seeing details and second guessing whether he'd seen them on his friends (or doing the opposite and remembering details he was superimposing them onto the corpses). The extra weird scifi stuff tho makes it more plausible that something else was going on, I do wonder if there are more hints on multiple rewatches.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

I don't know if you guys keep lolno-ing people's valid and well explained critiques, which have been frequently raised by numerous people, out of bad faith trolling or if you literally don't understand that you're constantly doing it every time anything about this director's projects come up, it's moved beyond frustrating and into the realm of anthropological fascination. Like it's literally the firmament of the thing that happens in every thread where the director comes up and then you feel slighted because everyone is accusing you of saying "if you didn't like Snyder's masterpiece it's because you weren't smart enough to understand the huge brain geniusness of it all and actually anything you think could be lacking in it is actually there and good or if it's not there it's also good and that's why it's good." But you're doing it. This is the thing, happening, currently.

I was going to explain to you how a message board works but instead i'll just suggest you gently caress off with this constant, insufferable whining about Snyder fans

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Why do we gotta attack ppl? Its just a movie.

All the zoo animals getting restless I guess

Anyway I maybe mentioned that I watched this last night. I rewatched the opening credits today, genuinely love the way those are done as backstory for some characters but also basically a mini-movie for a character who doesn't appear again. That was clever and fun.

I do wish some of the little teaser stuff peppered throughout amounted to more within this movie but they were cool hooks for the expanded universe they are working on. This was mostly just a fun movie with some cool shots and sequences, which is about what I expected.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh hey so what did you guys think of the movie besides the whole AIDs thing or wahtever

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

They don’t like the movies and want to make you all mad.

It's working, I'm mad. and crying

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That's a good read of Zeus and the zombies. I just watched the RLM review and it was really weird that thought Zeus (who they hilariously called "Conan the Zomberian") wanted to raise a zombie army to take over the world and didn't understand why he thought he could do that or why he would want to. I was listening and like "Where the heck are they getting that from?"

lol so they literally made a motivation up in their head then argued against it? wtf?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The entire point of the zombies in this movie is that we found out they aren't mindless but their minds are still unknowable. We don't know their motivations or hopes or whatever, that makes them more alien. We know from genre convention and a few scenes that they have a general goal to multiply and spread which presumably would eventually consume the human population of earth, but they also don't seem to be in a specific hurry to bust out of Vegas at the moment, so going "well their plan to take over the world is pretty stupid" is a weird non-sequitur . If anything I would say that Zeus seems to be experimenting with ways to create new and maybe better types of zombies (through whatever he does to make alphas, through zombie breeding, etc)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

teagone posted:

Common sense also suggests the alphas are smart enough to know how to leave, but choose not to. So......

Yeah Zeus at the very least through his use of tools should easily be able to clear the obstacle of "a pretty tall wall" (especially when there are obviously some gaps in this defense as evidenced by the coyote and team getting in and out) and the fact that there's no evidence that they are even attempting this should be enough evidence that it's not a priority for them

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Judakel posted:

How would they leave if they don't know the entrance the coyote uses.
There is no other good explanation for their desire to grow. inferring that someone wouldn't want to grow their kingdom is, i dunno, stupid?

On how to leave: create a makeshift bridge from a nearby tall building, construct some kind of ladder or even a rudimentary ramp by piling up debris (or even other zombies if they are all under his thrall), search the perimeter for weak spots like the velociraptors in JP. The entire point of the shipping container wall is that the people who built it assume that these are mindless zombies who won't even be able to use the most basic of strategies like stacking stuff to climb on, this goes out the window with Zeus's intelligence and strategic use of tools.

As for the desire to grow, I think that's obvious and you make some good points about the offerings, but I don't think "desire to grow and expand" has an obvious endpoint of "world domination". I mentioned earlier that my takeaway was the Zeus was trying to experiment with ways to make "better" zombies. He may have witnessed the diluted effect that his own creations had when making their own zombies (creating shamblers instead of alphas) and the zombie baby seems to be another step in this process. This may at some point down the line lead to him wanting to expand their "kingdom" outward and grown their population exponentially, but it doesn't come across as an imminent thing, and it doesn't necessarily mean world domination (for one thing they might quickly realize that "turning everyone into zombies" cuts into their food supply pretty quick).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Judakel posted:

Oh stop it. Motherfucker is superman now.
The alphas aren't numerous enough to make a horde and that is still key. Zeus didn't make little helmets for all his alpha buddies, so they're kinda hosed. I have no idea about intra-zombie civil wars, I just know they clearly have some hierarchy.

But at the same time all it takes (as we've seen) is a single alpha to get loose and travel to a nearby city to infect them and they quickly cause a snowball effect and make poo poo harder to contain. There's heavy security in the surrounding camp and presumably some cities might have precautions if someone seems infected, but most of this is based on their understanding of shamblers. If Zeus badly wanted to break out and gently caress poo poo up he could find a way over the walls then send a few alphas in any given direction (or numerous directions to hedge his bets), almost anyone they encountered wouldn't be prepared for them and unless the military caught on very quickly you'd have secondary, tertiary, etc outbreaks very quickly, as well a more paranoia about how this even happened and what to do to stop it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Why would Zack Snyder destroy his good will by making a movie

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mandrel posted:

hold on, zombie rape?

Could be one of two things:
- there was an article from 2011 when a different director was attached, where he stated that zombies raped human females as the primary way to create more zombies (this aspect was obviously excised in the released film)
- there was a theory that the above motivation was why Geeta was being held captive but otherwise unharmed, but the evidence for this is purely speculative

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

There's still a potentially compelling question of why they left Geeta and the others alive, but the fact is that if the above was part of Zeus's plan/methods there would probably be evidence of it elsewhere: it's not like Geeta and her friends are the first living women the zombies have come across this entire time.

The more obvious answers are that they are being kept either as food or bait, and the fact that one of Lily's former charges came back after a time means there's even a possibility that they're just serving out a kind of makeshift prison sentence for trespassing or something.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is where people run into trouble understanding visual storytelling. The ‘alpha zombies’ obviously don’t speak English, so people are going off of what the human protagonists say they believe - i.e. that the captives are going to be subjected to nebulous bad things.

If you look at what the characters actually do, though, the ICE rear end in a top hat is tossed into the swimming pool full of lots of blood and several corpses. If people are being transformed through a small bite, why is there so much gore in the pool?

The only good answer is that being zombified is an imperfect/risky process. Not everyone gets to be a cool robo-zombie; even Zeus - the oldest zombie - is still wholly organic, while the majority evidently end up being ‘shamblers’. This simple fact explains why Zeus is reluctant to zombify people, only targets ‘bad people’, and why the robo-fetus is especially important to him. It’s not just his kid; it’s a new and better form of reproduction.

It’s kinda like the complaints about the bioweapon plan. Why bother creating the heist scheme as a cover story? The simple answer is that Tanaka needs a cover story to explain what these people were doing flying a helicopter out of the zone.

Yeah this is all good too. I mentioned before that it's obvious Zeus is "experimenting", he's obviously figured out that he is the only one who can create Alphas and isn't at all interested in just creating an ever expanding army of shamblers which seems like it would be extremely easy for him to do. Didn't catch the extra bodies/gore implying that even Alpha-fication is a more risky process and therefore he similarly isn't immediately turning every single living person who crosses into the territory into an Alpha (which, again, with his resources and the fact that almost nobody knows what they are dealing with would be almost trivially easy for him to do to the team at the point they first enter the city)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Come the gently caress on, most people were saying your reading was completely reasonable

Yeah I feel like a few people were snarky but then most people were like "that's not fair, what's up with that"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Real Cool Catfish posted:

When was Zack Snyders last “wow this is amazing” film? Friend and I were chatting afterwards and genuinely don’t know.

I mean it’s very much ymmv, I personally wasn’t blown away by his early stuff and became a big fan of his DC stuff, which I think has some of the better super hero action of the last few years.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tbf we will have to wait for his response in 46 days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Slugworth posted:

Just because the argument has been brought back from the dead,
Somehow Palpatine this argument returned