Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

from the novel by colson whitehead

https://vimeo.com/503525815

585 min

amazon prime

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

edit: the nyt review out here slanging superlatives like payola

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 14, 2021

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
caught a screener of the first two episodes, it's alright. It seems to be moving really fast, and the first episode is WAY too stylized for my tastes (jesus christ the crane shots). the twin peaks comparison the nyt review makes was hyperbole as I feared, it's more og twin peaks than the return--- the episodes are slathered in Nicholas Britell's wonderful score, which kinda robs the remaining haunting qualities from the rather insistent sound design. I wished we got a better and less broad depiction of the plantation, some more of the community there and the dynamics. When the main character finally gets on the train the show rockets into full blown scifi, and stays there in the second episode, which I found much stronger in pacing and command (the crane shots return but actually work and feel like good storytelling). I hope it keeps the energy and vision of the second episode going, while also developing the protagonist more. Much of the second episode is talking directly past the protagonist and into the audience, which hopefully will fall off as the protagonist grows into strength.

on a technical note, i hope that there's a 4k stream available when it drops, cuz the 1080p bitrate compression crushes the colors... jenkins and his dp deserve better

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
score is out, vol 1 of 3

https://songwhip.com/nicholas-britell/the-underground-railroad-volume-1-amazon-original-series-score