Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Die pedocoins die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

We mined all the technology OP and now have ran out.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
PS5 has the wrong RAM and everything is brown anyways, get an XBOX dummy

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Using one of the websites that tracks availability, after Bill and Melinda Gates announced they were getting divorced I posted a screed on how I'd heard breaking news that Microsoft had shut down their production lines of the new Series X/S due to the stress of the breakup, etc.

People were PISSED, lol.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
crypto fuckos can suck my drat dick and balls

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

can't even order a balldo or sexarse these days, really sad state of affairs

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Back in the day when we wanted a balldo or a sexarse we would get off our butts and drat make one ourselves! Whittle it out of wood if you have to

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hand crafted, artisanal balldos.
Just like grandpa used to make.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
my pc is years old and still runs every game on highest settings

I think more powerful hardware is only relevant if you want to do super high resolutions super power gamer stuff. Otherwise it's all pointless

its a scam

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Just lol if all you play aren't 16 bit indie titles

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

GABA ghoul posted:

Where are all the chips disappearing? Who is hoarding them? Come here and explain yourself!

Jeffrey migrated the forums to a cluster of GPUs and now your posting mines bitcoin.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Schweinhund posted:

try going outside

Fojar38 posted:

yeah i tried that once and it sucked balls

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Meme Poker Party posted:

"Man, I'm loving BORED! What is something fun I can go do?"

- Alexander the Great

i'd rather watch other people doin stuff, rather than do the stuff myself

it's easier, also it's safer

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm entering the newegg shuffle for a 3080 every day, not because I need to upgrade my 2070 or because I need a 3080, but because I can sell my 2 year old 2070 today for $600-700

It's loving stupid

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Meme Poker Party posted:

"Man, I'm loving BORED! What is something fun I can go do?"

- Alexander the Great

Wow this twitch stream bout to get lit!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Sydin posted:

I lucked into a PS5 last December and have so far played exactly one PS5 exclusive game on it, rest are also available on PS4. Also I had to spend $70 on The Show while Xbox folks get it as part of gamepass. Feeling like a real rube having bought it at normal price, can't imagine how somebody who bought one on a scalper's markup feels.

Living on a prayer that my 1080Ti still has a year or two left in it.

I wanted a PS5 but was unemployed when I got in the Sony preorder queue, so I didn't want to commit the money and completely missed the boat, which in retrospect seems like a stroke of luck. After getting a new job I needed to replace my laptop in December and ended up getting a Dell gaming laptop during the big sale and I think I'm using that for games for the next few years, allowing some time for exclusives to build up and maybe for Sony to design a version of the console that doesn't look like Dubai architecture.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I got a 3070 for 600€ after camping a "available here" thread on a hardware forum. Felt kind of silly for spending so much time on it. Now I could sell it for 1200€, wtf is going on.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Don't worry, there's gonna be an economic crash this year or the next as the wildly speculative investments people have made the last couple years start getting revealed to be worthless. Then everyone will stop buying PS5s and GPUs and you'll be able to get one yourself right away.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I bought RTX cards and AMD CPUs for all of my friends with the help of discords back in like, October/November. I really didn't understand why everyone was having so much trouble, the groups were public and all I did was click on the notification the moment it came up and saved my credit cards to enter immediately. I could've bought more cards if I wanted :shrug: but I ran out of friends who wanted them.

Now they're loving unobtanium and every website that doesn't have a lotto that gets some crashes immediately after they're loaded due to the sheer traffic from bots snapping them up. I'm pretty sure Zotac is in 24/7 cloudflare limbo.

I feel for anyone trying to buy hardware for work, but lmao at people who are mad that they only have a 1080ti or whatever. The NowInStock.com comments have been amazing to read, just an unending hell-wall of NEET gamer despair and rage.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
What were the discords you used? :P

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

I got a 3070 for 600€ after camping a "available here" thread on a hardware forum. Felt kind of silly for spending so much time on it. Now I could sell it for 1200€, wtf is going on.

You can use that card to mine cryptocoins and it will pay for itself in less than a year or something, even considering the high German electricity costs. Basically, every coiner on the planets looks at one of these cards like it's an investment with a +100% yearly return rate and gobbles them up at every opportunity. poo poo is insane, always lock your doors and never tell your nerdier looking friends that you have cards in your house

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
I got a PS5 in Feb through Best Buy and I love it. The only PS5-only game I have for it is Demon’s Souls but whatever. I like being able to play the PS4 games I hadn’t finished yet but with faster loading and in most cases better visuals until the actual exclusives start coming out. It just feels good to play, like boot-up to playing a game is like 15 seconds.

In other words, suck it losers

https://i.imgur.com/o9EdKp4.gifv

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Bula Vinaka posted:

What were the discords you used? :P

https://discord.gg/bPs(THE LETTER AFTER G)uHKb

Good luck, poo poo gets snapped up immediately, not nearly as useful as previously, unless you want a PS5, in which case it's been pretty good. The other one I used is closed now.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
If the demand is so great why haven't more manufactures poo poo out more cards

whats the dang holdup

and if you can just mine money (never understood how that worked) why don't people just start collectives where they set up massive mining ops and earn trillions and take over the world

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Collapsing Farts posted:

whats the dang holdup

and if you can just mine money (never understood how that worked) why don't people just start collectives where they set up massive mining ops and earn trillions and take over the world

-Chip foundries can’t keep up with demand and it takes a long time to build new ones. It’s going to be a while.

-There are groups of people trying to do that. They’re setting up massive server farms in warehouses and some of them have wind turbines or whatever to cut down on energy costs.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I hope someone figures out how to compute graphics on human brains so we can relive 1800s cadaver shenanigans

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Collapsing Farts posted:

whats the dang holdup

Silicon fabrication capacity, drought further constricting supply, slowed supply lines as a result of covid, increased demand beyond anything forecasted by a huuuuge margin, and a bunch of other reasons. It takes incredibly state of the art facilities to produce these products, and they cannot just spring up a new one overnight.

Apple booked fab supply for new chips for iphone and macbooks, AMD booked fab supply for new GPUs, CPUs, and two new consoles, etc.

It's just a clusterfuck of a lot of devices needing chips and a shitload of people wanting chips and chipmakers not being able to provide them quickly enough. I guarantee if Nvidia had the ability to print even more money, they would.

Collapsing Farts posted:

They uh, they do. There are farms all over the world, and there are collective mining pools active in just about every PoW coin.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Shouldn't we be getting a flock of new billionaires all the time then

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Collapsing Farts posted:

Shouldn't we be getting a flock of new billionaires all the time then

Yeah that’s happening too lol

Maybe not billionaires but lots of on-paper multi-multi-millionaires

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

poverty goat posted:

It's loving stupid
I bought my 5700 XT Pulse card for 800AUD and was pretty mad about it but I wanted a good 1440p card. Now it's selling for 50% more, used.

My friend bought at PS5, scalped it and bought a new PS5 with the profit he made. So a free PS5 for him was great.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

spouse posted:

https://discord.gg/bPs(THE LETTER AFTER G)uHKb

Good luck, poo poo gets snapped up immediately, not nearly as useful as previously, unless you want a PS5, in which case it's been pretty good. The other one I used is closed now.

Thanks very much (it's a lower case h in case anyone was wondering), but I've never used Discord and although I signed up and got on the server, I'm apparently way too stupid to figure out how to use it.

I take it I'm supposed to click #notification-signup under DROPS, then click the icons in the red box below for notifications on those items?

What I can't figure out is how it then works after that, or how it notifies me.

I know Discord is extremely popular but it's never been something I had or wanted to use. I got burned out on IRC in the early 2000's. :P

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

You can still play the greatest game ever made without a gpu or ps5 as we collectively work on turning this planet into Venus

https://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Budzilla posted:

I bought my 5700 XT Pulse card for 800AUD and was pretty mad about it but I wanted a good 1440p card. Now it's selling for 50% more, used.

My friend bought at PS5, scalped it and bought a new PS5 with the profit he made. So a free PS5 for him was great.

Hey your friend sucks

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Bula Vinaka posted:

Thanks very much (it's a lower case h in case anyone was wondering), but I've never used Discord and although I signed up and got on the server, I'm apparently way too stupid to figure out how to use it.

I take it I'm supposed to click #notification-signup under DROPS, then click the icons in the red box below for notifications on those items?

What I can't figure out is how it then works after that, or how it notifies me.

I know Discord is extremely popular but it's never been something I had or wanted to use. I got burned out on IRC in the early 2000's. :P

You got it! Click the icons and the bot will push a notification to you if something comes up in stock in the "now in stock" and "kronic-extra-notifications" channel. It shows up as a notification in the bottom right hand corner of your screen if you're on windows. Right now the bot is pushing one every like, 30 seconds right now for an AMD drop that just occurred, so you should be seeing those when you're not on the channel and hear a little "boop" sound from discord.

You then click the link to the sale and hope you're fast enough. Good luck! I'd recommend having credit card info saved and not getting frustrated if it takes a while. Even when it was easier, for every 5 times something dropped, I usually only got one that worked out for me, and I was *quick*

edit: also worth noting the guy running these bots is like 17. it's hilarious and he's just happy to help people find cards.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 41 minutes!
Just dig out yr n64. I been playing these japanese sports game from 1997 and they are a lot of fun.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

kntfkr posted:

Just dig out yr n64. I been playing these japanese sports game from 1997 and they are a lot of fun.

I want to play that one where you drive a train and you could use a controller that looks like a conductors console and yell things into a headset for bonus points. That looks very relaxing atm.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 41 minutes!

mysterious frankie posted:

I want to play that one where you drive a train and you could use a controller that looks like a conductors console and yell things into a headset for bonus points. That looks very relaxing atm.

Me too!

I actually bought a cartridge of a translated rom hack for Wonder Project J 2 where you train a dumb robot anime girl to read books instead of eat them and it's got a nice anti-fascist story going on in this colorful island setting and it's really nice and relaxing.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I bought a prebuilt with a 3070 last weekend OP.

Works great OP!

:D

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

GABA ghoul posted:

You can use that card to mine cryptocoins and it will pay for itself in less than a year or something, even considering the high German electricity costs. Basically, every coiner on the planets looks at one of these cards like it's an investment with a +100% yearly return rate and gobbles them up at every opportunity. poo poo is insane, always lock your doors and never tell your nerdier looking friends that you have cards in your house

I actually read that the GPU shortage is due to them just being very in demand due to corona and the chip shortage, appearently crypto minders are not that responsible after all. I am also currently mining with my gpu and made around 200€ last month even with electricity substracted, it's pretty neat but so very, very stupid at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I duct taped a PS2 to a PS3, instant PS5. Lemons, meet lemonade.