Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

bought an AR from a guy on Armslist cause you never know with all that's going on but when I got home I realized there was something kinda off about it

I don't recognize this rollmark, looks sorta neat tho. The pattern kinda reminds me of some old Tunisian art or something like that

the sight was what tipped me off first. Fixed rear sight that looks like it screws directly onto the stock (???) instead of mounting on a picatinny rail, and there's no front sight at all. Don't know if the guy ripped it off to resell separately or just wasn't planning on hitting anything smaller than a cargo ship

that got me looking and uuuh I'm not even sure where I put the magazine on this

i sincerely have no idea what these parts do

the fire control group doesn't look like the ARs I've seen, is all that stuff supposed to be on the outside? I do appreciate the little kicky boot built into the hammer, whatever it is.

opened it up and this thing is filthy. It clearly hasn't been cleaned in... I don't even know how long, and rust is starting to set in. On the plus side, it doesn't look like it's actually been fired very much. These parts are definitely out of spec, even the screws have really obvious hammer marks along the length like they were hand forged, and you can see they pretty obviously cut the slot head in this one with a hacksaw. Seems like a hell of a lot of work for anyone this side of 1800 but I guess they were too cheap to even buy real screws. I'm guessing some kind of Chinese reproduction of something?

So, what do you think, do I need to call the guy and try to get my money back?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

That's loving awesome!

I need to get that furniture for my AR.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

OK I talked to the guy and he threw in a couple Glocks to make it work out. They're looking better, more like the parts come from an actual factory at least

and I really like some of the detail work on the grips.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8RkR4rd7dM

Seriously though, those are pretty neat.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

OK I talked to the guy and he threw in a couple Glocks to make it work out. They're looking better, more like the parts come from an actual factory at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC6oxRHGSFc

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 13, 2021

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Ooh poo poo those are gorgeous.
Also bravo on having the courage to open the rifle up; I'd be terrified of snapping a bolt.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TheNothingNew posted:

Ooh poo poo those are gorgeous.
Also bravo on having the courage to open the rifle up; I'd be terrified of snapping a bolt.

It's in pretty great functional condition under all the rust and the bolts were turning freely so I was pretty sure it'd be fine, probably also helped that I paid like $200 for the thing

Best I can figure it's an Altit from south of Marrakech, it has this weird fishtail-shaped bone stock specific to the region allegedly so the owner could fire it tucked under their shoulder while on horse- or camelback. The pistols are almost certainly tourist pieces from ~1850-1950 with mass-produced lockwork, cast brass ornaments really shittily nailed on, and a wild amount of hand detailing added afterward (I still like the inlay, the main reason I got these was to study that for my own work). But the hosed-up screws, total lack of anything cast or machined, and sheer amount of silver on the thing make it look like the rifle is from further back when the Ottomans were still figuring out guns, likely from around those shores of Tripoli the marines are always droning on about. Looking at other examples I'd call it medium-fancy, it's got a lot more inlay and chased silver and poo poo going on than average but the materials are all fairly cheap compared to the over-the-top gold-coated ruby-studded pimp sticks that were in fashion with the really rich. So, call it a pirate captain's gun

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Fully sick.