Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Dad dead, so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
He doesn’t show up in Emi’s route, but at the start of Act 3 of Rin’s route, Emi’s dad comes back as a giant, mutated monster that can only be defeated by the power of painted murals. You spend most of your time coaching Rin through the attack as she tries to balance her artistic integrity, desire to be understood, and need to drive off a rampaging monster and save Yamanaku; the KS devs had to strike a delicate balance of action and drama, and even though you can tell they were kind of out of their wheelhouse they really pulled it off. It’s all very Attack on Titan but without the implied fascism. Fun fact: the Bad Ending of Rin’s route is the only ending outside of Act 1 where you die, because he kills off the entire cast.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 25, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Falconier111 posted:

He doesn’t show up in Emi’s route, but at the start of Act 3 of Rin’s route, Emi’s dad comes back as a giant, mutated monster that can only be defeated by the power of painted murals. You spend most of your time coaching Rin through the attack as she tries to balance her artistic integrity, desire to be understood, and need to drive off a rampaging monster and save Yamanaku; the KS devs had to strike a delicate balance of action and drama, and even though you can tell they were kind of out of their wheelhouse they really pulled it off. It’s all very Attack on Titan but without the implied fascism. Fun fact: the Bad Ending of Rin’s route is the only ending outside of Act 1 where you die, because he kills off the entire cast.

what is this, tokimeki memorial 3?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:what:

No, seriously, what

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm pretty sure Falconier was joking, folks.

Then again, I can't really be sure, since I've never played through the Rin route.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Mikl posted:

I'm pretty sure Falconier was joking, folks.

Then again, I can't really be sure, since I've never played through the Rin route.

You know that I’m lying because otherwise I’d be spoiling the plot :v:

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Spontaneously decided this had to go up today since I can't afford the distraction at work tomorrow.

Update 33: Saving Throw

Katawa Shoujo OST - Raindrops and Puddles

The sound of my alarm is an unwelcome intrusion on a sleep that's been a battle to obtain. I doubt I've been truly asleep for more than an hour or two. Too much on my mind. Did I make the right choice, leaving the house yesterday? Did I manage to get Emi to realize how unreasonable she's been? Am I ever going to manage to get her to stop being unreasonable? Emi's mom gave me a new perspective the other day, but I'm still not sure that it's the right perspective. She was hurt when I left yesterday, too. I know that part of any conversation is going to have to include an apology about that. Right thing to do or not, I hurt her.

I hurry down to the track, eager to talk to Emi. I think I know what to say. Apologize for leaving first, and go ahead from there.

Unless, of course, Emi doesn't show up. Which from the looks of things seems like it's the case. It's been about fifteen minutes since I got here, and there's no sign of her. She's never late, not unless she's sick, which is unlikely. She probably just doesn't want to see me right now.

To take my mind off what that implies, I begin my warm-up routine and take off around the track. It clears my mind wonderfully; for the half-hour I'm running, I don't think about anything but the run. However, once I've finished, and Emi still hasn't shown up...

I get a little worried.

With any luck, the nurse will know where she is; if nothing else, I can see what he thinks I should do next.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Ah Eh I Oh You

NURSE: "So, last night didn't go too well, I take it."

HISAO: "Huh? You already know?"

NURSE: "I have my ways, and it's not as if I'd miss the distinct absence of your running partner this morning, now would I?"

HISAO: "No, I suppose not."

NURSE: "So, what happened?"

HISAO: "Don't you know already?"

NURSE: "Maybe, but I could be bluffing. Perhaps I'd prefer to get your side of the story before I give any advice."

I quickly fill the nurse in on the events of last night, and he takes it all in without changing expression once. Nothing about the whole event seems to surprise him, although he does seem surprised when I say that I didn't follow Emi.

NURSE: "Chose to talk to her mom instead, huh? Smart move, though I guess it didn't work out too well for you in the end."

HISAO: "Well, I'm not sure. Emi seemed apologetic when I left, or at least she seemed that way until she put up her defenses again."

The nurse sighs and spreads his hands in a conciliatory gesture.

NURSE: "Frankly, I'm surprised she let them down at all. Emi's had a lot of practice on that score. You probably won't get anything else out of her."

HISAO: "I don't believe you."

NURSE: "Is that so? You think she'll tell you the whole tale?"

I'd swear I just saw the nurse's eyes glitter a little. His expression is the same, but he leans forward ever so slightly.

HISAO: "I think she'll open up if I ask her without being an idiot about it, yeah."

The nurse gives his enigmatic smile in response and shrugs widely. I think he's enjoying his role a little too much.

NURSE: "That's the real trick, isn't it? Are you sure you know the right way to approach the subject? I can guarantee that Emi's going to try her hardest to pretend last night didn't happen. It will be painfully awkward for the both of you, but it'll also be a lot safer than trying to ask her for the whole story again. It could go worse, this time. Are you ready for something like that?"

It sounds like a challenge, like he doesn't believe for a minute that I'd be so bold. I actually feel a little insulted by his lack of confidence in me.

HISAO: "Of course I'm ready for that! I love her!"

My outburst gets a raised eyebrow in response.

NURSE: "Well then. Good luck. Let me know how it all turns out."

Although he delivers his parting shot with the same smirk as usual, I actually think that the nurse wants me to succeed.

(Silence)

I resist the urge to charge directly to Emi's room to prove the nurse wrong. I've gone in half-cocked before, and the results were less than stellar. If I'm going to do this, I need to figure out exactly what I'm going to say, and how I'm going to say it. Something to think about in class.

Sure enough, by the time lunch rolls around, I think I have a good enough idea of what to say. I can do this. The bell rings, and I grab my lunch and dash up the stairs, eager to be there first. I'll need to ask Rin to leave, and I'll need to—

EMI: "Hi Hisao! Sorry I wasn't able to run with you this morning! I overslept!"

Somehow, both Emi and Rin have managed to get to the roof before me.

HISAO: "Oh, that's no problem. Last night was kind of... draining, I guess."

Emi's expression doesn't alter in the slightest.

EMI: "Yeah, sorry about that! But I've had such a weird morning since then!"

HISAO: "Oh uh, really?"

Emi proceeds to make small talk for the rest of the time. I can barely get a word in edgewise, and soon find myself interjecting with the sort of back and forth dialogue that seems to have defined our early relationship. I'm not gonna get anywhere on this problem during lunch, obviously. I can respect that; Emi obviously doesn't want to accidentally pull Rin into things, and that's fine. Not that I think Rin would notice, but I can at least respect that sort of rationale.

I try a different tactic.

HISAO: "Hey, Emi. What are you up to after class today? I was thinking we could go somewhere for dinner, or something."

Emi looks genuinely remorseful.

EMI: "Sorry, Hisao! I promised the track captain that I'd stick around after practice and help some of the other kids with their form! It'll have to be some other time."

HISAO: "Yeah, sure..."

I'm honestly not sure what to do now. Maybe diving into things the day after would be a bad idea anyway. She might still be angry about it and just not showing it. Besides, if she's got track team responsibilities that's fine, right?

I tell myself some variation on this theme the next day. Then the next. I wake up, run with Emi (during which she refuses to talk about anything but the run and what she was doing the night before), and then lunch, where we sit and make small talk until the bell rings. Her new responsibilities effectively keep me from seeing her outside of school. Maybe, just maybe, I'm letting it happen because it's safer this way, just like the nurse said.

Except while it may be safer, I'm feeling more and more wretched. Emi doesn't look good when I see her any more; dark circles lurk under her eyes, she seems more and more distracted, and I can't bring myself to just ask what's wrong, because the timing never seems right.

I'm absolutely miserable.

Katawa Shoujo OST ~ Passing of Time

Another lunch comes. I trudge up the stairs to the rooftop like a condemned man. Rin is up there, but Emi is not. Immediately I worry that something's happened to her. Maybe the lack of sleep finally made her collapse, or something worse. She seemed pretty tired after our morning run. Maybe she fell asleep and didn't even make it to class.

HISAO: "Hey, Rin. Where's Emi?"

In response I get a rather penetrating look from Rin, and something approaching a frown appears on her face.

RIN: "Is that information really important?"

HISAO: "I think so. She's usually here with you, isn't she?"

RIN: "I don't know. I have no way of being sure."

HISAO: "I can confirm that she is, in fact, usually here with you when I come up."

RIN: "Well she isn't now. Does that worry you?"

HISAO: "Kind of."

RIN: "Hm."

That seems to end the conversation, and the point becomes moot anyway because Emi bounds through the door with her usual energy.

RIN: "Hisao is kind of worried about you, Emi. I don't think he can decide, or maybe I just don't believe him, but I think I'm going to go somewhere less awkward now."

I'm so surprised by Rin's being so suddenly forward about, well, anything at all that I merely watch her head through the door. Emi is similarly surprised, and colors slightly crimson as she stares openmouthed at me. It occurs to me that I should probably say something, if only to break the awkward silence that has suddenly descended.

HISAO: "It's because you weren't here yet. I was uh, worried about it."

EMI: "Why?"

HISAO: "You're usually here, so I was worried that something had happened to you."

EMI: "This isn't the first time that I've been late, you know. Did you get worried all the other times, too?"

HISAO: "Er, not really."

Emi seems slightly amused by this. I don't know why, but that kind of pisses me off.

EMI: "So why was this time an exception?"

Maybe it's the light, teasing tone of the question, but something in her response pushes me to be honest, though I can't help snapping at her when I say it.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Innocence

HISAO: "Because you've been worrying me since dinner at your house, that's why."

Well. Now it's out in the open. And Emi's eyes are wide, and she looks like she wants to bolt, but she doesn't.

EMI: "Ah. Still on that, I see."

HISAO: "What, you think I'm supposed to just forget about it? You threw me out of your house! We've been going on for almost a week pretending it never happened!"

EMI: "I didn't see you bringing it up either, you know."

HISAO: "I know, and I'm sorry that was the case. We have to address it, or we'll just keep up this whatever it is we've got right now. It's killing me to look at how you look right now, did you know that? Those circles under your eyes and that distracted look in them, and I can't help worrying that I've caused it somehow."

EMI: "You haven't. Trust me."

HISAO: "Well I haven't helped, either. I keep pushing you to tell me things you aren't ready to tell me; maybe I was wrong to try getting your mother to help me out, but I've been so worried about you that I didn't know what else to do."

EMI: "Well, you don't have to worry about me any more, okay? I think it's pretty clear we're not right for each other, so maybe we should just... stop."

Her face is twisted up as she says this, like she doesn't want to say it but forces herself to anyway.

HISAO: "You don't actually want that, do you? Heck, you can barely bring yourself to say it. Anyway it won't keep me from worrying about you. I care too much about you to just stop on command. You don't want to tell me what's wrong? That's fine, but I won't stop trying to help you, even if it's just standing by you."

EMI: "Stop saying that!"

She's shaking now, and as she looks at me I can see she's afraid and frustrated and a million different things all at once. I shake my head slowly and take a few steps toward her.

HISAO: "You know what your mom told me? She told me that you'd never ask for help, because you know that you're strong enough to get through anything on your own, but that's not the full story, is it?"

Her eyes go wide, and she takes a step back. I keep going, because I think I've finally figured it out. Something tells me I won't get another shot. I've put it off for far too long as it is.

HISAO: "There's no harm in having someone help you, unless you're worried about needing help in the first place. You're scared, aren't you? Because of..."

I trail off, because I don't know for certain what happened to Emi's father, and I don't want to jump to a conclusion.

HISAO: "Well, never mind why, but it's okay to be afraid. You've been running from it and from me for so long, even though you know eventually you have to turn around and face your fear, and I'm going to be there to help when you do. I won't stop, because I don't think you'd want me to. You can understand that sort of determination, can't you?"

I can see that I've gotten through to her, but she quickly falls back to anger to try and push me away again.

EMI: "Back on your white charger, Hisao? Gotta help the poor cripple face her emotional problems? What do you know about me, and about what I've already had to face? You think two months of learning to walk again was fun? But I did it, and after I did that I had to..."

For a moment it seems as if she's going to say something else, but she cuts herself off.

HISAO: "And after all that, you don't think you can get past your fear? Emi, I can't fathom what you've been through, but to come through it and still be the sort of girl that you are, well, it makes me think that you have even more strength than you think.”

HISAO: "So I'm not going to help you because I think you need rescuing. I don't want to be a knight rescuing the damsel in distress, but even knights helped each other out, you know. I want to help you, even though I know you can do it on your own."

For a moment it looks like Emi's going to break down completely, but she doesn't. Tears run down her face, but she stares at me steadily.

EMI: "Why are you trying so hard to help me?"

HISAO: "I'd say that it's because I owe you one for helping me out when we first met, but that wouldn't be the truth. The truth is, I just want you to be happy, because I love you."

(Silence)

Had I ever said that before? We've been in a relationship, and it's been pretty obvious that I love her, but did I ever actually speak the words?

EMI: "What did you say?"

I say it again, savoring the feeling of being able to say it at all, being able to say it and mean it. Emi seems stunned.

HISAO: "I said I love you, Emi. I love you. Just you, and that makes me want to stand by you, no matter what you have to face."

Katawa Shoujo OST - Lullaby of Open Eyes

I'm wrapped in a fierce hug then, as Emi begins to sob against my chest.

EMI: "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry about everything but I'm so scared, Hisao, I'm so scared of losing you and I love you too but I can't lose you I just... I'm so sorry!"

I hold her quietly, shushing her until she settles down. She steps back, a little more composed.

EMI: "Will you come with me tomorrow? Back to my house? There are some things I need to show you, if I'm going to do this."

HISAO: "Of course. Maybe this time we can leave together, instead of separately."

Emi grins, a sudden flash of brightness that seems more genuine than anything I've seen in the past week.

EMI: "Yeah, maybe."

The lunch bell rings, and I curse the universe's poor sense of timing.

HISAO: "Are you free tonight? We can talk more then, right?"

Emi shakes her head.

EMI: "Sorry Hisao, but I'm still helping the track team. Plus, I don't think it would be good if we talked this over tonight. I'm going to be too tired to think properly, and I want to be able to tell you everything without screwing it up. You can wait, right?"

Even now, there's a bit of fear in her voice. I smile and rest a hand on her shoulder.

HISAO: "Okay. I'll be waiting."

Emi gives me a quick kiss before she heads for the stairwell.

EMI: "Thanks, Hisao. See you tomorrow morning."

HISAO: "Wouldn't miss it."

I head down the stairs with the feel of her lips on mine, suddenly aware of how much I've missed that sensation. I'll have to remember to thank Rin for getting us to talk to one another. Although it's possible she won't even realize what she's done. Still, if not for her I doubt I'd have ever been able to confront Emi again. I guess I needed more help than I realized. Tomorrow, however, I'll need to stand alone through whatever Emi's trying to work herself up to doing. I'll be up to the task. I hope.

(Silence)

The morning sun is bright through my open window, and the sound of my alarm quickly has me up and about. I slept surprisingly well last night, secure in the knowledge that at least I've got another chance with Emi. If I can just keep myself from doing anything stupid, maybe I'll find out what's been eating her recently. I have a few educated guesses, but nothing concrete. And certainly nothing that I'm going to say to her; I'd much prefer to have her tell me herself.

Although I can't help remembering the nurse's warning that I might not like what she has to say. Do I really need to know that badly? What if it's something awful that makes me repulsed by her? Can I really say that I'm prepared to handle whatever she has to say, regardless of what it is? Emi said she wanted to tell me “without screwing it up.” What the hell did she mean by that? What's there to screw up? I suppose there's not much use worrying about it, though. I'll find out today.

It occurs to me that I really, really need a run this morning, to clear my head if nothing else.

Emi is waiting for me as promised, looking a little haggard but otherwise bright and cheerful. Much more so than any previous day this week.

EMI: "Hisao! You're late!"

I wave my hand dismissively.

HISAO: "Nonsense! You're just early."

Katawa Shoujo OST - Standing Tall (Emi’s Theme)

Emi grins back, and it feels like we're finally back where we should be with one another. Except now Emi, not just me, wants to take another step forward. Although a part of me worries that she'll back out at the last second.

EMI: "Hurry up and stretch, Hisao! I don't want to miss the bus!"

HISAO: "The bus?"

EMI: "I said I wanted you to come back to my house, remember? And I promised mom we'd be there in time for lunch, so I wanted to hurry!"

HISAO: "Early start, huh?"

EMI: "It's more for my mom's benefit than anything else."

HISAO: "Ah, well that's okay."

I unsuccessfully try to guess what Emi has planned, shortly before realizing that it doesn't matter that much to me.

I quickly go through my warm up routine while Emi bounces impatiently from one foot to the other. She really does seem to want to get moving as soon as possible. The run is over so quickly I can barely believe that I haven't fallen over dead afterwards. Emi set a blistering pace and I, in my foolishness, kept up with her. Well, until the last few laps. I had to slow down just in case. But I don't mind, and Emi's waiting patiently for me when I finish. As patiently as she can wait, anyway.

EMI: "Finished? Good! Come on!"

(Silence)

Grabbing my arm, she practically rushes me down to the nurse's office.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Ah Eh I Oh You

NURSE: "You seem in a hurry, Emi. Trying to catch the early bus?"

EMI: "Yeah, I told mom I'd be back for lunch."

NURSE: "Well, I'll take care of you first, then."

EMI: "But Hisao's gotta come with me too!"

The nurse raises a single eyebrow at this statement and peers at the two of us searchingly.

NURSE: "Really? Today, huh?"

Emi's response is a nod, followed by a surprisingly shy grin.

NURSE: "Well then, we'll make this quick."

Emi enters the nurse's office, and I patiently wait outside for her to be finished, wondering just why the nurse seemed to be surprised by Emi's declaration. I feel like I'm missing out on some joke or the significance of today. Beyond the fact that it is clearly significant in some way, of course. True to his word, the nurse has Emi out of his office surprisingly quickly, and I take her place after promising to meet up at the front gate. The nurse takes my pulse and listens for a bit.

NURSE: "Your heartbeat's faster than usual. Been pushing yourself again, have you?"

HISAO: "Well, Emi seemed in a rush to get through the run, so..."

NURSE: "Hm, I'm not surprised. Today is rather important to her, you know."

HISAO: "I suspected that could be the case, but I have no idea why that's the case."

NURSE: "She hasn't told you? Interesting."

HISAO: "So you're not going to tell me either, then."

NURSE: "No, I'm not. I suspect that Emi has her own plan for explaining today to you, and I don't want to mess with that. You'll find out soon enough, so what's the rush? Now as for your heart, I would take it easy the rest of the day. No spontaneous races or anything like that, got it?"

HISAO: "Got it. She won't have her running legs on anyway, right?"

NURSE: "No, but if you think something like that is going to stop her..."

HISAO: "Good point."

NURSE: "I don't think it'll be much of an issue today of all days, but still."

If he's trying to reassure me, he's doing a terrible job. I'm quickly becoming more and more worried about what today could be for, like suddenly finding out Emi's in a cult or something. At the same time, if today is such a big deal and Emi wants me to be with her for it, then maybe she really does want to grow closer to me. Maybe this will be the answer to all the riddles, to the sleepless nights and the sudden mood swings.

Either way, I barely remember to thank the nurse before taking off as quickly as I dare for my room, to get a shower and throw on some decent-looking clothes. If today is as important as it seems to be, I should dress appropriately.

Emi, of course, proves me wrong as soon as I reach the front gate, wearing her usual shirt and shorts. So at least I know it's not a terribly formal affair, whatever it is.

EMI: "You're early, Hisao."

HISAO: "Not as early as you. Eager, are we?"

Emi cheekily pokes out her tongue. The bus stop isn't very crowded at this hour, which seems to please Emi, and we end up relaxing a little as we wait. We sit in silence for a while, but I can tell that Emi's trying to work herself up to say something. I don't have anything to say myself, so I sit waiting for her to talk. It doesn't take too long.

EMI: "So uh, I'm sure you're curious as to why the nurse thought it was so weird for me to be bringing you along today..."

HISAO: "I was a bit, yes, but if you're not ready to tell me—"

Emi stops my sentence by placing a finger on my lips.

EMI: "Don't tempt me, Hisao. I want to tell you this, but I'm just uncertain as to how to go about it. I don't want to keep delaying or deferring, I just want to be able to say it."

HISAO: "So say it."

EMI: "You know that it's not going to be that easy for me, Hisao."

HISAO: "So treat it like running. Warm up to it with something small and easy, and go from there. But don't do it too fast, okay? I'm a patient man, I can wait for you to get to it."

Emi seems to consider my words, weighing them against what is probably a desire to get it over with. I will admit, as much as I keep telling Emi to take her time, I wouldn't mind her getting it over with either. But somehow I know that Emi probably needs more time than the bus ride will provide to get it all out, whatever it is.

EMI: "Yeah, maybe you're right. The bus stop probably isn't the best place for this anyway. But just to make sure that I don't go back on my word, I'll at least say this:"

She takes a deep breath, lets it out, and after a moment says in a low voice,

(Silence)

EMI: "We're going to see my dad today."

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 3, 2021

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It's good that they make it (extremely) clear here that Hisao isn't trying to "save" Emi like she's some kind of damsel in distress, but is more trying to save their relationship. More of a mutual kind of thing.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D
Yeah, the turnaround of the "knight in shining armor" trope that Hisao comes up with here is one of those delightfully literary things; you wish your real life could have such witty responses, but in real life an author isn't elegantly setting up the themes of your personal narrative so that you can subvert them.

Psycho Lawnmower
Apr 1, 2011

For the cow-borrowing glory and infinite wisdom of Elmal! Cheese for everyone!
I’m not sure I see a difference between those two on a social sense, but that may be due to misreading it? Emi refuses assistance flat out, because she cannot allow herself to accept it.

That she has done this is not Hisao’s fault, and pushing back against her attitude and claims of the contrary is similar to what she did to him initially. He’s giving what she gave back to him.

How is that not acting to her benefit, except that he’s a wall made of carefully-chosen words, and she’s a tempered brick wall that actually could use someone trying to smash it?

Like..if she’s stubborn, that’s on her? Acting against that stubbornness-especially if it leads to her causing self-harm-is correct.

Psycho Lawnmower fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 26, 2021

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Psycho Lawnmower posted:

I’m not sure I see a difference between those two on a social sense, but that may be due to misreading it? Emi refuses assistance flat out, because she cannot allow herself to accept it.

That she has done this is not Hisao’s fault, and pushing back against her attitude and claims of the contrary is similar to what she did to him initially. He’s giving what she gave back to him.

How is that not acting to her benefit, except that he’s a wall made of carefully-chosen words, and she’s a tempered brick wall that actually could use someone trying to SAO it?

Like..if she’s stubborn, that’s on her? Acting against that stubbornness-especially if it leads to her causing self-harm-is correct.

I think it’s an agency thing. She really doesn’t want to have her decisions made for her, and I can respect that; it’s not like people always assume disabled people can make their own choices. He found a way to offer her the help she needs without making her less of the success story she’s worked so hard to become, and once she’s convinced he’s serious about that, she goes for it and starts to open up.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Falconier111 posted:

I think it’s an agency thing. She really doesn’t want to have her decisions made for her, and I can respect that; it’s not like people always assume disabled people can make their own choices. He found a way to offer her the help she needs without making her less of the success story she’s worked so hard to become, and once she’s convinced he’s serious about that, she goes for it and starts to open up.

I agree with this, but I think Emi was also kind of using it as an excuse to not have to be dependent on any other person after... whatever happened with her accident.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Psycho Lawnmower posted:

How is that not acting to her benefit, except that he’s a wall made of carefully-chosen words, and she’s a tempered brick wall that actually could use someone trying to SAO it?

The White Knight idea is all about the Knight himself - he's the actor, he's the one saving the damsel who is mostly a passive actor. Hisao managed to take that idea and flip it, saying that he sees Emi as the one who is strong and active and he wants to help. He wants to be the assistant rather than the hero, which is less insulting to Emi. It recognizes her agency.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I came away thinking that the knight in shining armour bit might be some way someone acted to her in the past. I doubt it's to do with agency though, at most in the sense of being self-reliant.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Emi doesn't want to be the Poor Little Crippled Girl With the Tragic Backstory. She keeps moving forward, because she can't stand the idea of looking back. Can she outrun her problems? Not for lack of trying. Is this the healthiest way? No, but no one said people are logical. And she's trying to process a tragedy in a way that won't break her entirely. And Hisao is showing up at the 10th hour, trying to play catch up, and dealing with his own issues. (Remember, this is the good path; if he'd gone after Emi at her house, it went a lot worse.)

The problem with two broken people getting close, is that it's easy to accidentally cut each other. Like the hedgehog's dilemma, but with shards of glass.

Psycho Lawnmower
Apr 1, 2011

Notahippie posted:

The White Knight idea is all about the Knight himself - he's the actor, he's the one saving the damsel who is mostly a passive actor. Hisao managed to take that idea and flip it, saying that he sees Emi as the one who is strong and active and he wants to help. He wants to be the assistant rather than the hero, which is less insulting to Emi. It recognizes her agency.

In doing so, it feels like he cut himself out…or at least, be the impetus of the change…but cut himself out of decision making, to give her more?

As work..I do this all the time. Because it is good to assist, and the clients need it, and providing that kind of assistance and agency is in the description.

As a relationship? Feels like he’s willingly stepping back when it should be a more clear division of effort? This is definitely my own confusion talking, but it seems like he purposely and permanently losing agency to give her more. Which causes anxiety-at least for me.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

theamazingchris posted:

Yeah, the turnaround of the "knight in shining armor" trope that Hisao comes up with here is one of those delightfully literary things; you wish your real life could have such witty responses, but in real life an author isn't elegantly setting up the themes of your personal narrative so that you can subvert them.

Notably, he’s had time to think about that too. He doesn’t come up with that turnabout immediately, he comes to it after a lot of stewing over the accusation of holding that mindset.

Psycho Lawnmower posted:

As a relationship? Feels like he’s willingly stepping back when it should be a more clear division of effort? This is definitely my own confusion talking, but it seems like he purposely and permanently losing agency to give her more. Which causes anxiety-at least for me.

Instead of saying “I am the solution to your problems”, he’s saying “I am here to help you with your problems as you help me with mine”. He’s stepping up, but making clear it’s as a partnership, not Helper/Helped.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 26, 2021

Psycho Lawnmower
Apr 1, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Instead of saying “I am the solution to your problems”, he’s saying “I am here to help you with your problems as you help me with mine”. He’s stepping up, but making clear it’s as a partnership, not Helper/Helped.

That helps a lot. Thank you.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I just know that there are 1 or maybe 0 teenagers in the world that could actually navigate the mine field Emi laid out.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

For me personally the character story so far is amazing even though it feels a bit... farfetched? Like I'm sure somewhere out there, there are teenagers that have managed to go through a similar thing and be just as mindful and thoughtful about a rocky relationship like this, but like 99% of teenagers would probably hit the bad end if this happened irl.

Still love the story though, and just cause ya haven't seen it doesn't mean it can't happen.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I don't expect these characters to act like real teenagers. I would much rather they be thoughtful and likable.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

In my experience, if they've gone through something like this before, they feasibly can navigate a similar situation again but better. Plus, a lot of the actions that take you to the bad end are ones that do look attractive at first, especially if you're playing in the mindset of the dumb teenager. This just means it's canon that Hisao is a time looper and has been experiencing the bad ends.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

In my experience, if they've gone through something like this before, they feasibly can navigate a similar situation again but better. Plus, a lot of the actions that take you to the bad end are ones that do look attractive at first, especially if you're playing in the mindset of the dumb teenager. This just means it's canon that Hisao is a time looper and has been experiencing the bad ends.

Are you saying KS is a secret Zero Escape spin-off?

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

No, it’s the visual novel equivalent of a Kaiju movie, we just went over this.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

EclecticTastes posted:

something something morphogenetic field

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

Shhh, don't spoil that the reason behind Emi's car accident was that goddamned snail!

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

FYI my life is in (the good kind of) chaos now, so expect slightly more frequent but smaller updates through the end of next week when I get my schedule under control.

Fakeedit:

ChrisBTY posted:

I don't expect these characters to act like real teenagers. I would much rather they be thoughtful and likable.

:iceburn:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

It also is really important that Emi has been helping Hisao with his disability. She has been there to encourage him and help him to take the steps he needs to be healthier and overcome parts of his heart problems. It makes his offer for him to do the same thing for her much more understandable than it would be otherwise.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 34: Whispers of the Past

(Silence)

The words hang in the air, and I can see that Emi's afraid that I'll panic and disappear in response. Which a part of me almost wants to do. But it would be stupid of me to back out, or to suddenly abandon the promise I made to be there for Emi when she needs me. The nurse thought it was so weird of her to bring me along. She doesn't bring anyone along, or at least I'm willing to bet that she hasn't before today.

The day seems to take on an even greater significance. What has it taken Emi to even get this far?

HISAO: "Ah."

And why is that the best I can manage as a response?

EMI: "Yeah."

HISAO: "I uh, I don't know what I should say."

EMI: "Nothing, I think. Just promise that you're going to come with me."

HISAO: "Of course! You know I will."

Emi smiles wanly, looking a little relieved.

EMI: "Good. In that case, we'd better get going."

The bus pulls up just a little after she finishes the sentence.

Vague memories of my first trip out here come to mind as I step off the bus, but unfortunately, they're too vague to be of any use. I will be the first to admit that I don't quite recall how to get to Emi's house, so I let her lead the way. She seems content to walk in silence, and I myself have no idea what I could possibly say, so the two of us arrive at her house having said nothing since getting off the bus. Emi's mother opens the door and doesn't seem surprised to see me standing next to her daughter. I expect that Emi would have phoned ahead to let her mother know of the change in plans.

MEIKO: "Emi, Hisao, you're just in time! Lunch is just about ready."

EMI: "Great! I was afraid we might be running late."

HISAO: "As fast as you were going this morning, I doubt there was much of a chance of that."

MEIKO: "I certainly hope she wasn't too much of a bother, Hisao. She tends to get a little paranoid about being on time when food's involved."

HISAO: "I hadn't noticed."

This earns me a swat on the arm from Emi, who despite the serious nature of our conversation on the bus and the almost brooding quiet walk has quickly become cheerful again. Probably to keep her mother from worrying about whatever it is Emi plans to tell me later. Mrs. Ibarazaki ushers us in, and in short order we're around the table devouring lunch. I hadn't realized how hungry I was until I got here, but for once I seem to be eating almost as much as Emi.

MEIKO: "Goodness, it's a good thing I made so much. The two of you are acting like you haven't eaten in days!"

HISAO: "I skipped breakfast this morning."

EMI: "Me too."

MEIKO: "Had to catch the bus, I assume?"

EMI: "That and I figured you'd make too much food so it wouldn't matter if I skipped breakfast."

MEIKO: "Well, it's good to know that I'm predictable."

Emi nods enthusiastically, and conversation falls off again as we very nearly clear the table of anything edible. It is a testament to the sheer amount of food on offer that we don't finish everything. I lean back in my chair with a sigh and thank Mrs. Ibarazaki for the food.

MEIKO: "I'm glad you liked it, Hisao. Now, has Emi told you where we're going?"

HISAO: "Yeah, sort of. Is it far from here?"

EMI: "Not really, but we'll drive there to save time. It closes kind of early."

I nod in assent and stand up, ready to go.

HISAO: "Well then, shall we?"

Mrs. Ibarazaki nods and leaves the room to grab her keys. Emi, I notice, has started to fidget nervously.

HISAO: "Second thoughts?"

Emi smiles tightly at me and shrugs. She's fallen silent again, which probably means that I'm right, and she is starting to regret bringing me along. Not that I blame her; she's done such a good job of shutting me out that I doubt it's easy to suddenly open up. Honestly, I'm worried that she's forcing it. But she said while waiting for the bus that I'm not supposed to give her a chance to back out, and since I promised to go with her anyway, I suppose there's not much of a choice. I can't go back on my promise, and she can't go back on hers. I just hope the both of us are up to it.

MEIKO: "We're off!"

Emi's mother blows through the dining room, collects the two of us, and heads out the door at a brisk pace. Now I know where her daughter gets it from.

(Silence)

The car pulls up at the cemetery gates, and I feel Emi tense up beside me. I reach over and give her hand a comforting squeeze, which causes her to relax a little. Emi's mother doesn't follow us, explaining that she prefers to visit the grave alone. Emi steps through the gates and looks back, as if to make sure I'm still there. We step into the cemetery.

I don't feel comfortable in cemeteries. Gravestones litter the ground, each one serving as a reminder that someone used to be alive and is no longer. How many died young? How many were as old as I am now? When do I wind up with a marker of my own? How much longer do I have left? The concept of not waking up, not seeing Emi any more, is not a happy one. It frightens me, and I very nearly turn around and exit right then and there. I don't want to go among dead people, I don't want to see their stones and think about who they were or what they could have been if they'd only had more time.

Then I look at the girl next to me, and my resolve returns. Emi's striding purposefully down the path, eyes clear, setting a pace that's very nearly a jog. The sooner we get there, I suspect she thinks, the better.

EMI: "We're here."

Katawa Shoujo OST - Friendship

A gravestone, wholly unremarkable in everything except for the name etched upon it. The grass has grown up around the base. Emi's eyes are riveted to the stone. After a few moments she turns around, looking surprisingly calm, yet solemn.

EMI: "Pink's not actually my favorite color, you know."

HISAO: "Er, what?"

EMI: "I'm warming up to it."

HISAO: "Ah."

EMI: "People tend to think that pink's my favorite color. I think it's because I like strawberries, and even though those are red they just assume that pink's the right color for strawberries. And that it's my favorite color. But it's not. I'm too polite to tell anyone otherwise, of course, and it's not the kind of thing worth getting worried about, but I'll bet even you thought pink was my favorite color.”

EMI: "Blue. That's my favorite color. My mom and dad are the only two who know that, and now you do too."

HISAO: "Thanks for telling me, I think."

EMI: "You're welcome."

There's a pause as she considers what to say next, drawing a quick breath.

EMI: "I can't carry a tune to save my life. I can hum, but actually singing a song is something I've never been able to do. I don't mind, because I'm not a fan of karaoke anyway."

HISAO: "Well that's one potential date idea out the window."

EMI: "People all think that I'm a really popular and friendly person, but I only have a few close friends. Probably because I keep everyone in the dark, but I think it's also because I hate the idea of losing a close friend. There aren't many people worth the risk. I'm terrible at saying goodbye. I sometimes think that I only run because it's what I used to do with my father. You're not my first boyfriend. I dated a guy for a long while during my second year at Yamaku, but in the end we broke up, because I didn't want to get closer to him. He couldn't live with that distance between us."

Her rate of speaking increases slightly, as if she's rushing towards a finish line.

EMI: "I'm actually one year older than you. Everybody thinks I'm younger because I'm short, but I had to skip one school year because of my accident. They initially thought I was paralyzed when they pulled me out of the wreckage. I'd lost my legs already, but they were afraid that I wouldn't even be able to use what was left of them. After surgery, it was clear that their initial assessment was mistaken. I couldn't feel my legs because of shock. Short term paralysis due to the other trauma I'd experienced. My recovery was one of the fastest they'd ever seen, or so they told me. I never found out if they were serious about that or if they told that to all the patients learning to walk again. I...”

She pauses, gathering herself for one last effort.

EMI: "Eight years ago today, I lost my legs. And I lost my father as well. He died on the way to the hospital. I didn't even get to go to the gravesite until two months later, and couldn't attend his funeral."

HISAO: "I'm so sorry."

EMI: "Don't be. That's what everyone always says, that they're sorry. I hate hearing that. Like anyone could have done anything to change what happened. You know the best piece of advice I got? “These things happen.” I don't even remember who said it, but I guess they didn't have anything better to say.”

EMI: "But it's true, you know? These things happen, and there's nothing you can do about it. They aren't necessarily planned, and they aren't always bad, and they aren't always good, but they are.”

EMI: "So I made the decision that I would live without worrying about the future. And to be sure that I never had to say goodbye again, I decided I wouldn't let people get close to me any more. After all, they could be taken away at any time. And you know what?"

She laughs, a little bitterly. Her eyes start to well up with tears, and I step forward to embrace her but she holds up a hand to stop me.

EMI: "M'not finished."

A deep breath, and she continues.

EMI: "It worked pretty well! Until I met you and saw that you were trying to adjust to stuff here, so I thought I'd help and then you were so nice and I couldn't help it, I just..."

The tears are flowing now, and she accepts the embrace this time. The rest of her sentence is mumbled into my chest.

EMI: "I tried not to fall for you, but I did. And then I tried to keep you at a distance, like with my first boyfriend, but I couldn't. But I've been so scared, because I don't want to lose you and I might anyway—"

HISAO: "Hey, I'm still around, right? And maybe I won't be forever, but don't you think it'll be fun while it lasts? Neither of us could survive the day, there could be a bus crash or something, but so long as I know that I've been with you, I don't think it matters."

A sudden thought strikes me, and I can't help laughing. My condition had me scared of dying so badly that I immediately seized on the opportunity Emi presented to improve my odds of living longer. But without Emi, would there have been any motivation to keep up with my running? It hits me that Emi is the reason I want to go running every day, so I can spend as much time with her as possible. Emi looks up at me, confused.

HISAO: "We'll go on living until we stop. And when we stop living we'll be able to know that at least we've had time together, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Because I love you, Emi, and right now that's enough for me."

Emi smiles through her tears, and steps back from me.

EMI: "You know, it's funny."

HISAO: "What is?"

EMI: "I thought that the best way to live in the moment was to do it alone. But now, I don't think I'd have it any other way either. I'm glad I met you, Hisao."

HISAO: "Well, these things happen."

Emi and I stay by the grave for a while, as Emi pays her respects to her father. When she's ready to go, we exit the graveyard side by side.

(Silence)

Emi's mother drives us back to Yamaku. The trip back is very quiet. We wave goodbye as the car drives off, and I glance down at the girl leaning on my arm.

HISAO: "How are you feeling?"

Emi shrugs noncommittally.

EMI: "I'll be fine. Come on, let's go."

We pause outside the girl's dorm and I turn to face Emi, ready to say goodbye.

EMI: "Why don't you come up for a while?"

HISAO: "Okay."

The walk up to her room is in silence. I'm not sure why I supposed I'd be turned away at the door. I guess I just assumed she'd want to be alone. Her mom, the nurse, hell, everyone who knew the significance of today seemed to think it best to leave Emi alone. But she took me into the graveyard with her. She told me the whole story of what happened on the day she lost her legs.

She wanted me around. The significance of this does not escape me.

Emi opens the door and steps into her room, not even bothering to invite me in, holding the door for me expectantly. I step in, and the door swings shut behind me.

EMI: "Hey, can I ask you a favor?"

HISAO: "Sure. Can't guarantee I'll do it, but..."

Emi giggles and pulls me into a kiss that starts out soft but deepens into something almost desperate.

EMI: "Stay with me? Please?"

Her voice has dropped to a whisper, the question is barely audible over the sound of my own breathing. There's something about the way that she asks that question, the hesitancy in it, the quiet voice, that makes me think she doesn't mean tonight. No, she means exactly what she said. “Stay with me.” Not “tonight” or “forever,” because both of us know there's no such thing as forever. There's no time limit to her request, there's just the request. The favor. Can I do that? Can I stay with her?

HISAO: "Of course."

Katawa Shoujo OST - Comfort

:eng101:They frantically strip each other. :eng101:

EMI: "Wait a second... Are you still in your socks?"

I pause, and look down. Apparently, I am.

HISAO: "Er, yeah. Does that matter?"

EMI: "Take 'em off, it's weird if you still have them on."

HISAO: "You know, you've still got your socks on too."

EMI: "Yes, but I don't have my legs on. So it doesn't count.

Unable to deny her logic and impatient to have the conversation over anyway, I quickly remove the offending items.

:eng101: They make love again, but it’s both less intense and more emotionally intimate than the last couple times; they clearly know and trust each other better. It’s full of smiles and laughter, and it’s both quick and immensely satisfying to both of them.

For a while, we lay in silence, savoring the feeling of being next to one another. Emi is the first to speak.

EMI: "Hey, Hisao."

HISAO: "Hmm?"

EMI: "Thanks for coming with me today."

I smile and plant a kiss on her head.

HISAO: "Of course. My pleasure."

Emi snuggles closer, and I can feel her breathing begin to slacken as she begins to drift off to sleep. Just as she's about to fall asleep, she wakes up enough to mutter a single sentence.

EMI: "I love you, Hisao."

Then she's out like a light, leaving me feeling like I'm on top of the world. I draw the slumbering Emi as close as possible, pull the covers over us to keep the chill off, and fall asleep as happy as I've ever been.

(Silence)

The morning light seems to reach further into Emi's room than it does into mine. This results in my waking up earlier than I would have if I had gone back to my room last night, as had previously been our routine. I did not realize it until this morning, but this is the first time we've actually spent the night together.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Aria De l’Etoile

A small movement from my partner's still-slumbering form causes me to look to the side. Hair splayed across her face, Emi continues to sleep peacefully curled up next to me. It's slightly weird seeing her without her trademark twintails, but it's also a look I could get used to. The small size of the beds here necessitates her curling up, but I'm pretty sure she would have done so anyway. The covers are nearly over her head, and I smile as an errant strand of hair causes her nose to twitch slightly. Unable to help myself, I draw her a little closer, a move which she seems to think is a good idea. Her steady breath raises a trail of goosebumps on my chest, but I don't mind. I am no longer tired, but I do not feel a need to move from my current position. Emi's warm body in repose against mine is far too comfortable to move.

I gaze up at the ceiling and consider how it is that we got to this point. We've been close for a while, but not this close. It seems like only yesterday that she ran into me in the hallway and after apologizing decided to take an interest in my well-being. But that grew into something else, which I at least was not expecting.

One thing is for certain: having found Emi, I will try as hard as I can not to lose her.

My morning musing is interrupted by further movement from Emi. Her eyes flutter open, and she seems briefly confused by my presence in her bed as well as her current state of dress, which is nonexistent. Then she smiles happily and sits up, her face looking down at me.

:eng101: We get a new shot here, one of her sitting up from the back. It’s cute, sweet, and technically worksafe, but she’s clearly nude and it also has a lot of butt, so I can’t show it here. :eng101:

EMI: "Good morning, Hisao."

HISAO: "Hi. Sleep well?"

EMI: "Yeah. Yeah, I did. Exhausting day yesterday, you know?"

I think back over yesterday's trip to the graveyard.

HISAO: "Yeah. Glad to hear you slept well."

EMI: "How'd you sleep?"

HISAO: "Well enough, although you kept hogging the covers..."

This earns me a shove and a stuck-out tongue. I chuckle, and Emi giggles a little, and we fall quiet for a while. I soak up the feeling of how right it all seems, waking up with Emi by me, crammed into a bed made for one person. It's something I could get used to.

EMI: "Hey, Hisao..."

EMI: "Thanks for sticking around."

HISAO: "No problem. Saved me the walk back anyway, right?"

This draws another giggle, but then Emi's expression turns serious again.

EMI: "No, really. I kept trying to push you away, because I thought that was the right thing to do, and you stuck around through it all. I haven't made any of this easy for you, but you stuck it out anyway. So really, I mean it. Thank you."

She punctuates this by giving me a kiss, pulling back and looking at me with an expression of affection. I reach up and ruffle her hair, smiling all the while. I'm stupidly lucky, I think. To have come through everything after my heart attack and to somehow have found this girl is nothing short of a miracle.

HISAO: "You're very welcome, Emi."

I couldn't bear the thought of giving you up.

HISAO: "I'll even continue to stick around, if you want."

EMI: "I'd like that."

That settles it, then. I don't know how long my heart will keep working, and I don't even really know what I'll do after this year is over, apart from going to university. As long as Emi's around, I think I'll be okay. I've managed to help her, and she's managed to help me.

If we keep doing that, we'll be okay, I think.

EMI: "So, Hisao."

EMI: "What do you want to do today?"

THE END

Katawa Shoujo OST - Romance in Andante

:eng101: Finally, we get a brief credit sequence featuring pieces of Emi concept art – everything from the original manga page to an early screenshot. And as the song wraps up and the credits reach their end, we reach the natural endpoint of our story. Emi and her Hisao are free to live their lives as they please, but we have other characters to meet and get to know – after we take a look at her route in more depth. :eng101:

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 4, 2022

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

After seeing them cute together, I'm not sure any of the other routes could necessarily compare...

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hey, I just wanna say I really appreciate the way you're handing the sex content. The settings dont do enough to keep it SFW, and the layers of spoiler tags with targeted summations help a lot.

When I started dating my now wife, I showed her this game. She was really prudish, and wasnt sure about that content even though we were both mid twenties. But she chose Emi's route first, and when she reached the end, she understood why this game was something special.

...also lol that the shortest girl (with her legs) who is also the most outwardly childish is also the oldest of all the main students.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Quackles posted:

After seeing them cute together, I'm not sure any of the other routes could necessarily compare...

Having played all five routes, I'll just say that you can set your expectations as high as you'd like.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
[phineas voice] so, hisao, what do you wanna do today?

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Quackles posted:

Don’t make promises you can’t keep.

Krysmphoenix posted:

Hey, I just wanna say I really appreciate the way you're handing the sex content. The settings dont do enough to keep it SFW, and the layers of spoiler tags with targeted summations help a lot.

When I started dating my now wife, I showed her this game. She was really prudish, and wasnt sure about that content even though we were both mid twenties. But she chose Emi's route first, and when she reached the end, she understood why this game was something special.

...also lol that the shortest girl (with her legs) who is also the most outwardly childish is also the oldest of all the main students.

Give credit to Fedule, too, for working with me on what would and wouldn’t be appropriate in an update and giving me the go-ahead. And thank you (and others) for the kind words; I’m really glad my presentation works and that it seems to communicate what makes this game special to do many people.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
And thus end's Emi's route. One of my favorites. I do like for all that she has a "problem", Hisao's solution isn't to fix everything for Emi (really all the routes have a theme about white knighting being bad), but pretty much just to put in the hard work to be there even when it's difficult (which appropriately enough the morning exercise trains him for). The game doesn't even really argue that Emi's necessarily got a wrong attitude about things, just that you can still live in the moment without living alone. What she feels and decides isn't just denied or pushed off, she just gets more info and chooses how to respond herself.

Definitely one of my favorite "happy ending" tracks in a game there, worth a listen if you haven't.

Quackles posted:

Oh trust me, there's a reason people argue hard about which route is best in this game. Even the weakest one (whatever your pick for it is) is still pretty good really.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Extremely cute and I'm actually kind of happy they don't try to do an epilogue thing. Looking forward to all the other routes

MadDogMike posted:

Even the weakest one (whatever your pick for it is) is still pretty good really.

except for Kenji's route, which is a no contest as the worst route in the game from the sounds of it. I'm aware it's technically a bad end but hey it's def the weakest by far.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Evil Kit posted:

Extremely cute and I'm actually kind of happy they don't try to do an epilogue thing. Looking forward to all the other routes

except for Kenji's route, which is a no contest as the worst route in the game from the sounds of it. I'm aware it's technically a bad end but hey it's def the weakest by far.

Kenji's 'route' is literally a two scene long bad end where you don't get to make any choices.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

MadDogMike posted:

Definitely one of my favorite "happy ending" tracks in a game there, worth a listen if you haven't.

Oh trust me, there's a reason people argue hard about which route is best in this game. Even the weakest one (whatever your pick for it is) is still pretty good really.

Fun fact: a lot of this game’s best music is based directly on pieces of classical music; that one, for instance, is a take on Chopin.

And yes, opinions on route quality are VERY divided, even though overall quality is very high. I know exactly which routes I like best and least, though I’ve gone to some length to hide those preferences from the thread. Can you guess who’s route is my favorite? Here’s a hint: she’s best girl.

Here’s another hint: it isn’t Rin, because I’ve never gotten around to playing her route. I’ve gone through Hanako’s once and everyone else’s twice, but never hers. I only know about it intellectually.

E: could use a snipe so the next update comes in at the top of the page.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 29, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

That was a good way to end it; part of what I think makes this feel more mature is the lack of certitude. Which runs pretty deep into the themes of the game - Hisao's life expectancy has some big error bars and that hangs over him a lot, though that may be more particular to this route. Partially because Emi is still quite shaken by the very sudden, almost certainly unpredictable, death of her father. It would have felt false both to the basic intent of a romantic game but also the themes of having to be present and having to face the future uncertain if they'd given us too much insight into the future.

Falconier111 posted:

Fun fact: a lot of this game’s best music is based directly on pieces of classical music; that one, for instance, is a take on Chopin.

May as well steal from the best! Gonna be on a Chopin kick all day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Zore posted:

Kenji's 'route' is literally a two scene long bad end where you don't get to make any choices.

You do have to make all the wrong choices for the other routes to get there though, no? I'm pushing the envelope a bit to make a joke about it really.

Not like we're going to see it in the LP anyway, thankfully.