Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I was not expecting this to ever be LPed. I wasn't expecting much out of it but mainly had to give it a try because of the Deaf character here. I'll probably chime in when her route is ongoing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

If anyone is curious, yes in fact you do look at the Deaf person, and talk directly to them.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Flair posted:

There are counter movements called Linguistic reappropriation where the subjected group may reclaim the negative term as an empowering term for themselves. Obviously, this raises some questions and concerns, and they have a wide range of efficacy. Nevertheless, the perpetual cycle of humanity's issues continues.

This happened with Deafness to an extent, by the way. The original term was deaf and dumb. Nowaday culturally Deaf people refer to themselves as being Deaf.

Hearing impaired was definitely not something that Deaf people coined. That's something the Hearing people came up with, I assume, to sound less harsh. But I won't look harshly on anyone who feels more comfortable using that term, since a lot of people become deaf over time as they become older and they don't really become culturally Deaf.

Marluxia fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 6, 2021

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

No, I'm glad you chimed in. I didn't want to have to type all of that myself. A lot of it is the same, unemployment rate, specialized language, our language is a literal language, though!

A big thing shared around the community was a skit from that ABC show, "What would you do?" They worked with a Deaf school to create a skit where a Deaf person was applying for a job in the kitchen and the employer was clearly being very audist. You got the usual people who stood up for the Deaf job seeker, of course, but they did show three separate person, who all claimed to work in HR and recruiting, and they were giving the employer actual tips on how not to hire the Deaf person, "I agree with you, but don't say it like that, you can't say that, you have to find a reason unrelated to their deafness" etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqI1d4rLWSM

And the language is sort of a barrier relating to education/employment too. So there are many signing language, but the main one in North America is ASL, American Sign Language. My parents chose to raise me through SEE, "Signing Exact English" because they were concerned about my prospects, and SEE isn't an actual language, just trying to sign english the way you would speak it. It was helpful for school, growing up. Even today, my partner, who took ASL courses in post secondary school is able to understand the texts from a Deaf friend I grew up with more than me, because their texts are very very strongly ASL grammarized. ASL has its own structure and grammar, which can make speaking to non-deaf people harder because the way they talk will look very jumbled. As you can imagine, this makes communication harder.

You mentioned the gauche joke, and yeah, if you own a restaurant or cafe or whatever, and agreed to host Deaf people, uh oh, hope you're prepared for them to spend hours there just chatting, and they're so busy chatting, they're probably not gonna spend much on your products. There's even a term for that, DST, "Deaf Standard Time". The community is huge but that does come with its own issues. Because it's so big, it tends to overcome any other identity you might have, like queer, black, transgender, and so on. You're a Deaf person first and foremost. I have friends trying to work on that, teaching intersectionality, but it's tough. And it can feel like a small world at times too. Gossip gets around a lot and fast, I met an old Deaf man at a sporting event(non Deaf), and I got the feeling that he had some unresolved issues with the community as a whole, relating to his partner. I didn't dig because I was going through a bit of that myself too. The community is a good thing, but it's not for everyone. A lot of it is militant and very insular. If you're not in, you're out. And the reason isn't always related to your level of hearing ability.

And yeah cochlear implant is a big issue. Even hearing aids are touchy. There's a lot of mixed opinion about it, but a lot of it is extremely negative, mostly toward the implants.

(Deaf is capitalized if you're talking about culturally Deaf, and you might have seen the word audist, audism used, it's like sexism, racism, except relating to hearing.)

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

It's pretty funny seeing your reactions to Shizune here. Part of it is she's being a jerk here, yeah, but also part of it is entirely unsurprising to me. It doesn't fully apply here, but Deaf bluntness is a real thing.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Zurai posted:

That's ... a little off. The budget was already extended once, it's due that day, and turns out, Lilly handed it off to subordinates. And it's the budget for the school festival, which is in three days. They kinda need it ASAP. And Lilly's defense was "it's hard to do it all in a week" except that apparently everyone else managed it.

So, yeah, Shizune's coming off pretty strong, but on the other hand, she does have valid reasons to be irritated.

Yeah, Lilly is being that one group in school that keeps calling for an extension, draws it out to the last day possible then tells the teacher no she can't hand the assignment in, her group member is totally sick, so sorry, at least from Shizune's perception.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Sure, go ahead

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

Are you saying KS is a secret Zero Escape spin-off?

Shhh, don't spoil that the reason behind Emi's car accident was that goddamned snail!

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Having a student interpret for another student in classrooms is 100% not acceptable in real life.

However, I don't think we've ever seen Misha interpret DURING class time? So far iirc every time Misha has spoken for Shizune, it's been in social situations, or doing some kind of group work in class. That's a different scenario altogether.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

lol

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Falconier111 posted:

so why don't we take a breather and talk about, I dunno, loving... Let's talk about sign language, why not. That's thematic, right?

Since it's going to be Halloween season soon, I wanted to mention "A Quiet Place", featuring Millicent Simmonds.

Beside the obvious, actually hiring a Deaf actress for an Deaf role, which has historically been patchy as hell, re Hollywood and disability. Representation in Hollywood films is a heavy topic to talk about and that's not the point of this post. I wanted to comment on the parents in the film, Emily Blunt and John Krasinski.

So at least for Deaf people it's extremely obvious when someone is not a fluent signer. Even after years of signing, and being in the community, you might think you're hot poo poo and you're probably better than most people, but to a native born Deaf signer, they can usually tell. We can generally tell what level you're at in the first few seconds, if not minutes.

It's been a while since I watched the film, but I recall talking with my wife afterward that huh, they actually did a decent job with Emily Blunt and John Krasinski learning signing. They're not fluent, but they don't have to be. I can count the number of parents of Deaf children that I would count as being genuinely fluent on one hand. They actually kind of reminded me of a lot of the parents I've seen signing wise. That may have just been a happy accident, but you never know.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Evil Kit posted:

This particular scene is interesting to me because it provides even more information about why Shizune and Misha have been acting the way they have. Also further reinforces the fact that Hisao is an unreliable narrator.

Well yeah, was that not explicitly the point of the Hanako route?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Don't forget for a moment that you are viewing Shizune through a distorted lens, on top of Hisao being an unreliable narrator. What she says is being filtered through Misha, which due to both her inexperience AND personality does change the tone and meaning.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Dire Lemming posted:

On the bad translation note I'd like to say that the actual evidence we have for it is bad. It's actually not at all surprising that Hisao's interpretations would be different from Misha's considering the difference in experience in both the language and with Shizune herself. Interpreting is an art not a science even at the best of times. Sign languages don't map 1 to 1 to their spoken counterparts and a lot of meaning is conveyed through body language and facial expression in addition to the signs themselves. Differences in interpretation in anything but the most simple or direct sentences would be pretty much inevitable even if Hisao wasn't a beginner.

This is true but Misha's tone definitely does not match the body language of Shizune.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

fyi just say deaf/Deaf. Mute is not a great word to be using. I've noticed people here using that word in combination with deaf.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Yeah, that's fine. The game was using "mute" so I think people here picked up on that.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Evil Kit posted:

Now that we're getting to see some of Shizune's personal life and the family situation she had to grow up with... wow, I literally cannot imagine growing up around a family where no one bothered to try and learn how to communicate (sign language) with you even though you're deaf. What's that? Just use a writing pad Shizune, what's the problem why are you bothered by the fact you have to put all the effort in to communicate with your literal family? Geez.

I've definitely known a couple of people whose family didn't bother doing that. The siblings usually ends up picking up the slack and communicating with them instead of the parents.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

It being Halloween, I ended up watching a horror movie, "Monkey Shines". At the time I watched it, I only knew the premise, and was surprised to see a 1988 movie portray quadriplegic sex, as far as I can tell, in a fairly positive way. It was erotic and romantic, not gross, and it was between the quadriplegic man and the able bodied woman.

Of course, unfortunately the actor was abled but again, not surprising, as you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey hi your summary kinda glossed over the part of that sex scene where Shizune comes pretty close to giving Hisao a heart attack because he's unable to communicate distress. Protip, everybody, never, EVER completely remove your partner's ability to communicate during sex. It doesn't matter how well you might think you know them, because while they might not have a potentially lethal heart condition, you can never know for sure when someone may end up in emotional distress, or even simply be physically uncomfortable, particularly in the kinds of situations where they might be gagged in the first place. Always, always have some manner of signal established beforehand. In the scene, Hisao only starts noticing trouble right before the end, so it doesn't become too dicey, but if it had taken much longer, Hisao would have been in extreme danger with no effective way of expressing it to Shizune.

While I'm at it, we should also talk consent for a moment. Shizune never actually asked Hisao if any of what she was doing was alright with him, nor did she give him an opportunity to tell her to stop. She even prevented him from signing anything of the sort by binding his wrists as her first move. Just because we, the readers, know he was into it, doesn't make that okay.

I've been waiting all route to bring this up, because this scene, in particular, is just offensively irresponsible.

Has Hisao actually told Shizune about his condition, though? Shizune has noticed some things iirc but I don't think Hisao has told her the details in this route.