Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Not really related to the game itself but more to what the OP does professionally...

So I work for one of the Big Four, which one I'll hold off on naming. Their big push right now is, of course, disability awareness due to it being October. My own disabilities are the "hidden" ones that you work with professionally - mood disorders (which one I'll hold off on saying for privacy reasons) and ADHD (which ties in with the mood disorder). I've learned coping mechanisms for the latter and am on medication for both but have only recently become comfortable self-acknowledging them professionally. So I go to click on their resources page...

And mostly find things like Zoom backgrounds and ways for people to be aware. Not readily available resources for those like myself. But they sure do like bringing up the value my hyperfocus brings to the firm.

In your role with the program how much do you find yourself balancing the two potentially competing goals of shareholder value and assisting the individual? I will admit that this is still the healthiest work environment I've found, since my previous experiences in Big Law was more about grinding folks like myself down like an overworked cog and replacing us with a new, shiny cog before repeating the process. Now at least I feel like an expensive, difficult to replace cog that they oil occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Just now noticed that I was included in that blurb on the last page. Since I think I did a good job of scrubbing out any PII: I grant you permission to use my posts in this thread going forward unless I specifically say otherwise.

There, the magic words have been spoken. Woohoo.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 12, 2021

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I might be jumping back several pages for this (I'll admit that I've kind of checked out of this thread until Rin's arc since I'll be able to provide mote personal insight then) but the earlier talk about trans rights and their intersection with this thread reminded me of an article I came across in the long read thread. It specifically deals with the changes in the UK re trans rights that came around due to moneyed interests wanting to, well, keep their money.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/secret-court-case-50-years-ago-robbed-transgender-people-rights-1291857/amp

Be interesting to hear about any stories dealing with privilege and disabled/trans rights.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Rin's nonlinear approach to conversations resonates with me both for reasons that I've touched on before with my own issues and other, interesting issues I'll get into later on in the route.

But I am for sure getting that dreaded "gifted and talented" vibe from how her teacher is treating her.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

quote:

RIN: "I think I have to destroy myself."

G'drat Rin. That said, I kind of know where she's coming from.

Earlier I mentioned that I have two "invisible" disabilities. I touched on the ADHD aspect before - and my company's breathless efforts at saying that my hyperfocus should be used as an asset - but it's the mood disorder that I'd like to share a bit on.

I'm bipolar - technically Type II. What that roughly means is that while I don't have periods of "true" mania I do have what's called "hypomania" - basically periods of irritability and loss of inhibition that don't impact functions and aren't part of a psychotic break. It's actually part of the reason Big Law was such a terrible fit for me, since lack of regular sleep and overwork can trigger an episode, followed by a sharp down swing. You can see why this would be a Bad Thing in a job where you're expected to put in as much billable time as possible.

But that's not what I'm talking about today.

I was diagnosed as an adult since so many symptoms as a kid overlap with ADHD. In high school especially I started writing, convinced that I'd be the next great comic book writer - had a friend that would do the art. The problem was that I only felt I was creative at certain times - usually from lack of sleep or absurd amounts of coffee. It got to the point that I would try to trigger these bursts of creativity, both to create stuff and to make up for lovely school work (chronically late with homework but scored high enough on tests and projects to turn an F into a C). It was a cycle that looking back on it my family and I went "... yeah that tracks." I was basically triggering periods of hypomania on purpose without realizing it.

Rin's desire to destroy herself to become her real self is setting off alarm bells in my head. I'm not sure if that's what the writers meant but that's my take away.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 25, 2021

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Falconier111 posted:

As far as I can tell, yes. I think she's busy? Or maybe it's something else.

She's busy studying for a test, Hisao tells Lily that later on. And/or being a wing (wo)man.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I'm cool with what I've posted since the last go around being included - permission still stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I'm actually a little humbled that my handful of experiences with neurodivergence made it into the stuff being brought forward. But then I've had years of dealing with what was considered simple character flaws before being metaphorically slapped aside the head and given help.