Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jonny 290 posted:

Wow! I bet that was hard to keep current!

this gave me a sensible chuckle. thanks jonny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

*puts printout of spreadsheet on refrigerator like a proud mother*

isn't that beautiful, what a good job, look at all those green cells! hardly any red!

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Are you showing the latest version? My changes aren’t showing up. They must not have saved. It is not in any way because I didn’t actually do anything,

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

Wow! I bet that was hard to keep current!

u fuckre

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I set up a private subreddit to track issues so we can all comment on things easily and vote to provide feedback on what is the most impactful. please send me your Reddit user names so I can add you to the access list.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
weeblord bonerhitler

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jimmy Carter posted:

I set up a private subreddit to track issues so we can all comment on things easily and vote to provide feedback on what is the most impactful. please send me your Reddit user names so I can add you to the access list.

PawgLover69 is mine, tia

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

in 2011 during the lead up to a major ship inspection while i was still in the navy, i gave all the division officers on the ship a standard spreadsheet format to use to list and track all their discrepancies (my division had one that was around 10k line items because i had to track every single fuse on the ship). they were supposed to save an updated version with their division name in a particular directory on our share drive. i then had a master sheet with a macro that would pull the relevant info from everyone's spreadsheets and compile them into a single document. the front sheet of this workbook had the charts and actionable statistics to put on the powerpoint presentation that was given daily to the captain, the commodore's staff, the admiral's staff, and whoever else felt like showing up.

our ops officer liked my system so much, it was distributed across the waterfront. he told me four years later he was using it as an executive officer on a ship.

someone else got an award for my system because they gave a presentation one day.

:pwn:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

cjs.xls

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

excel!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

oh hey it's the fedora release schedule

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

progress!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

he’ll yeah

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Not a single excel template posted itt

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I broke the fonts when i saved my changes in OpenOffice

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

spreadsheets shouldn't even have support for formatting IMO, it just leads to idiots presenting last years fiscal report in comic sans

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

otoh, a complex spreadsheet with no formatting is nigh unreadable

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
but really - what's a good font for data?

everyone knows Courier New sucks, but I recently found out that's the worst Courier variant.
Courier Prime is really nice imo.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Gentle Autist posted:

otoh, a complex spreadsheet with no formatting is nigh unreadable

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I remain convinced that there must be a better way than excel. Airtable gets like 5% of the way there

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

distortion park posted:

I remain convinced that there must be a better way than excel. Airtable gets like 5% of the way there

better way to what? excel does a fuckin lot

if you just need a personal budget or organizational data store without a rdbms it goes a long way

google sheets will export to bigquery if you need that i guess, much like excel to access

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

excel owns

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
comparing bigquery to access is like comparing a grizzly bear to a photo of a toy shaped like a grizzly bear

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

comparing bigquery to access is like comparing a grizzly bear to a photo of a toy shaped like a grizzly bear

you are messing up the order of the analogy here.

bigquery: phd built perfect garbage used either to place ads or waste money thinking you're doing big data.

access: pretty dumb database built by idiots letting millions of people get paid on time and keeping track of another billion mundane little things in the line of the useful functioning of society.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

access owns

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the last time i used access was volunteering at the hawaii humane society back in 2012. i did a lot of data entry of chip information provided by vets so if one of the pets that came through was chipped they could easily find the owner. a lot of the chips were from trap and release feral cat groups.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

access has its own similar but distinct implementation of both sql and vba.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarepoint :geno:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

hey i listed out the current open jira tickets on this spreadsheet with their current status, as you make progress can you send it around, and each of you update it and email it back out to the project group? thanks, this will help us keep track of the status of these jira issues.

_ A B C D E F
4 Piss

are you the guy working on Ethereum proof of stake

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 30, 2022

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)
if you’re going to paste anything please make sure to use the plaintext option!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

I reverse engineered an access database that was used to track the equipment issued to security guards on shift. I remember when it was first explained to me how I had to start any new hire's name with a number to save the profile and how I couldn't delete the block of equipment that didn't exist because the number would go down but you can't add new entries because Jerry on swing shift added his staff members as equipment entries and because he didn't start them with a number we couldn't transfer them to profile. The guy who made this system has been gone for 2 years, but he left this binder full of screenshots.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

I reverse engineered an access database that was used to track the equipment issued to security guards on shift. I remember when it was first explained to me how I had to start any new hire's name with a number to save the profile and how I couldn't delete the block of equipment that didn't exist because the number would go down but you can't add new entries because Jerry on swing shift added his staff members as equipment entries and because he didn't start them with a number we couldn't transfer them to profile. The guy who made this system has been gone for 2 years, but he left this binder full of screenshots.

important thing to remember at that moment is that the alternative is then not a beautifully engineered database system with all the normal forms and access clients and whatnot, but rather another binder which is full of random scraps of paper with scribbles on them.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

important thing to remember at that moment is that the alternative is then not a beautifully engineered database system with all the normal forms and access clients and whatnot, but rather another binder which is full of random scraps of paper with scribbles on them.

I took that... My binder with me. Those jerks deserve that database.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

putting a non-terrible front end on a general purpose database is the p vs np of ui design

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Management posted:

I put the spreadsheet on my shared drive, everyone can edit from there instead of emailing it around. it’s here: \\192.168.1.28\shared\Issue Tracker.xlsx

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

in 2011 during the lead up to a major ship inspection while i was still in the navy, i gave all the division officers on the ship a standard spreadsheet format to use to list and track all their discrepancies (my division had one that was around 10k line items because i had to track every single fuse on the ship). they were supposed to save an updated version with their division name in a particular directory on our share drive. i then had a master sheet with a macro that would pull the relevant info from everyone's spreadsheets and compile them into a single document. the front sheet of this workbook had the charts and actionable statistics to put on the powerpoint presentation that was given daily to the captain, the commodore's staff, the admiral's staff, and whoever else felt like showing up.

our ops officer liked my system so much, it was distributed across the waterfront. he told me four years later he was using it as an executive officer on a ship.

someone else got an award for my system because they gave a presentation one day.

hosed up but also cool that u made it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

it was pretty nifty for what it was. i also had to email people all the time to close the master file so i could run the macros.