Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

getting to the end of the credits and just as you think it's over... it's the game thanking me personally for playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah! posted:

youve got extreme games energy and you need to cleanse yourself of it
Sham is alright, give him a wee bit of time to settle

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Getting my dick sucked in the big shed

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

The ability to mod games is a big one that's dying out, or at least changing. Since big name games are so based around buying the next iteration anything that keeps people playing the older one is bad for business. And now if you have an idea for a game you just make it in unity and sell it on steam instead of building it off of Half Life or something. I also think the steam workshop has dampened the community aspect of modding a bit, no more modding forums filled with people's half finished terrible mods.

The ease of picking up unity or whatever and putting something on Steam or itch is the big one I think, that and everyone wanting to be the next twitch breakout

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Getting my dick sucked in the shed

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

Speedruns need to go away and mike uyama must be put to the sword

This

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WombatCyborg posted:

These still kinda exist, they are just indie games and way harder to find. I do miss mid-budget games from bigger studios though. Stardew Valley would be my example.

Indies that managed to raise a decent amount on Kickstarter aren't really the same thing

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

That boat section is abjectly miserable and I have no idea what they were thinking

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

save files carrying over into other games

suikoden, baldurs gate, wizardry

its cool to play through a series and see your characters in there the whole time

I've only played Wizardry 6-8 but imported a full party across the three and going from generating some DOS losers that frequently lost fights with rats to ascending with them at the end of Wiz 8, dropping off a certain ring along the way, was one of the most memorable gaming experiences ever

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Squadrons is good and the joystick controls are really well done, someone on the team really liked tie fighter and it shows, but it's drenched in an EA eSports vibe which is difficult to ignore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Nah, Maniac Mansion did it too. Though that was fixed in a later release of the game

If you ripped the envelope you couldn't send a letter later on which caused the game to progress.
it's important to look after your mail. This was a respectable lesson to teach