Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GorfZaplen posted:

Highly customizable multiplayer modes, I've always liked games that let you set up the conditions of a game and do crazy stuff, like in Time Splitters where you could set it up so that the more kills someone got the bigger and slower they'd get or something. With competitive online gaming being the main purpose of shooters these days you see way less of that in the name of balance. Sometimes it was fun to just make a one hit death game with your friends and arm everyone with bats and only bats

I used to love logging into random servers in Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament and finding someone's dumbass instagib mod with altered physics. Multiplayer in the late 90s/early 2000s kicked rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

i think i told this story before but my brother sucked poo poo at doom multiplayer and made his own wad with one level where he started right next to a hidden room with a switch that killed the lights, nvg, and a plasma gun. it only worked once and then the guy he would lan party with saw him enter the room and brutally murdered him whenever he went near it

Lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The gaming equivalent of Mr. Burns using the snowmobile to get to the mountain cabin

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That Little Demon posted:

every game nowadays is like just a code on a disc lol

For some reason this made me think of this

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kongming posted:

I remember renting MGS and thinking that the "back of the disc" meant the disc that the ArmsTech president just handed me that had Metal Gear's test data on it and I spent the good part of 30 minutes trying to figure out how to look at the back of the disc case in my inventory. Thankfully, Gamefaqs exists.

I did the exact same thing lol except I bought a used copy from Blockbuster and for some reason it didn’t have the rear cover art at all.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

People who ay the virgin interactive one is good are wrong also.

The SNES version by Capcom is better *Joker voice* and I'm tired of pretending it's not

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sham bam bamina! posted:

pretty sure the genesis aladdin was developed in the states

:dogwhistle:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

quote:

In January 2016, Perry confirmed that he and Michael Jackson had been discussing making a video game together prior to the singer's death.[11]

:kstare:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

JOHN CENA posted:

developers hiding themselves in the game as NPCs

Kojima is keeping this alive. Hell, he's putting himself in other developers' games

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Will you excuse me for a moment. *Gets up to leave the room and doesn't return*

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

oh the brand name is still alive all right

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

P-Mack posted:

I used to playtest games for Acclaim as a kid. It was usually market research where you'd play another company's games and fill out questionnaires, but every once in a while there'd be an in-development turd. I told them the dinosaur movement in Virtual Bart was awful, no idea if they fixed it or not.

As someone who played way too much Virtual Bart, they did not

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

i beat it on an emulator once and i can't even remember which of the mini games were in virtual bart and which were in bart's nightmare. every single one of them was weirdly broken somehow.

Off the top of my head, Virtual Bart has baby Bart, dino Bart, pig Bart, lovely Road Rash, a water slide level and the tomato/egg throwing one which is the only decent one of the bunch

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

i'm reading it and it's definitely virtual bart that i beat, i remember the tomatos, the pig stage and the baby stage. the SNES ones are weird because they feel like someone put a lot of effort into a collection of really terrible games. like if they were just trying to cash in on the license, why didn't they just make more terrible platformers like vs. the space mutants?

The same devs did the Super Star Wars games so I think they just liked putting a lot of effort into weird rear end licensed games

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CyberPingu posted:

Which game was Splash Mountain on? gently caress that game

It's called Mount Splashmore. Topic Locked.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Remember CliffyB’s battle royale.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

plugging giant plastic bricks into my console

Breaking brown bricks in minecrap.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Slamming cartridges into a console does feel pretty good tbh.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

cartridges for sure but also like, plugging in the 32x to your genesis. attaching the gamecube modem. making your console bigger, you know

Adding the Gameboy Player to finally make the GameCube into a cube.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

The GameCube is a cube without the Game Boy Player, and it continues to be a cube with the Game Boy Player

*Furrows brow and writes something down* Go on.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I used to read the Civilization II manual for fun lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

pulling over to throw up bc you needed to finish super Mario land ftw

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Don’t talk to me or my son ever again. Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

bring your pokemon to the trashcan because these games are garbage. gently caress you gamefreak!

They should call it Pokemon Brown because it belongs in the toilet

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I never liked Sierra style games because I hate dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kongming posted:

Stay away from this game called Dark Souls then. Dunno if you heard of it but let's just say...you WILL die.