Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

i get why they don't do this anymore, but back in the day it used to be fun when character creation would involve answering questions about a series of weird moral dilemmas that feel like they were cribbed from a bad intro to ethics philosophy textbook:

they were because lord british developed his moral system and self insert godhead alternate persona also called lord britih when he was like 16.

the ultima character creation was cool tho even tho by age 8 [same age i devoured descartes] i figured out that it was basically rigged and was a series of 8 choices you could easily game to get the best start [warrior obvs]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

games not taking a billion dollars of sweatshop labor to make

i like this because computer programmers, artists, sony, microsoft, nintendo, etc employees deserve to suffer.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Sonic fans are truely sick people

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

JOHN CENA posted:

video games being fundamentally different experiences depending on which console you got it for. aladdin hits big for this.

People who ay the virgin interactive one is good are wrong also.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

The capcom ome ismt that great either but hell at least it wasnt developed by euopeans

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bro american platformers are a subset ofthe european platformer. Thats the rules i dont make them

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Speedruns need to go away and mike uyama must be put to the sword

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

acclaim went bankrupt in 2003 or 2004 due to them pumping out licensed shovelware and lovely games that suck rear end nonstop it had nothing to do with hdtvs. they're business model of buy an expensive comic book or movie license and pump out a various turds may have become unsustainable by the ps2 era whom knows. they were also never developers they only published first thru early japanese famicom devs like atlus who did a lot of the ljn/acclaim games and then later on american companeies like iguana. in conclusion, all american games are bad no matter the era or technology

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

yeah it's really all because of this. Maybe it's just rose tinted glasses but I feel like even though roughly 4/5 games I rented growing up were awful, they were at least awful in a way that felt unique each time.
For some reason I thought they went bankrupt later, turns out I was mixed up with the failed attempt to keep the brand name alive further

Prize Potato

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

P-Mack posted:

I used to playtest games for Acclaim as a kid. It was usually market research where you'd play another company's games and fill out questionnaires, but every once in a while there'd be an in-development turd. I told them the dinosaur movement in Virtual Bart was awful, no idea if they fixed it or not.

Got paid in candy bars and comic books which kicked rear end.

lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Thq was weird because for the entire nes, Gameboy, and snes era they were an absolutely garbage game company. They were no different than LJN as in if you saw their logo on a game, you knew it was terrible.

I guess they got their act together around the time the internet became popular but it's crazy how bad the quality of their games were compared to their later titles. I remember being shocked they didn't simply change their name or something. Those Home Alone games were horrendous.

Edit: lol

Thq also never developed anything good but they did publish the first stalker game. Epic!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Evil Eagle posted:

man I wish my wiz 6 file hadn't corrupted in the final dungeon

Owned

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

3s has sexy furries dude

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Video games starring sexy lion peoplenlike the entire wing commander series and quest for glory 3

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Thays a classic sierra ago engine error

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

bring your pokemon to the trashcan because these games are garbage. gently caress you gamefreak!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

GorfZaplen posted:

Of all the genres of games that one definitely has the biggest ratio of bad games to good.

2d platformers bro

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

adventure games in general

also there's still lots of these. well a stready trickle anyway. in the past few years there's been:

kathy rain
whispers of a machine
unavowed + all 3 million of the other wadjat eye games
hero u from lori and cori cole
the sherlock holmes game altho i have not played the 3d ones and they seem silly

that i've played and were good anyway. there seems to be a lot on steam.

also a bajillion interactive fiction games released for free.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

That was just Sierra games
Lucasarts ftw

More of an early design trope that roberta williams loved for some reason. Their best games like the good qfgs, Gabriel knight 1-2 (i never played 3), space quest 3, conquest of the longbow etc didnt really pull that crap. Altho i do tend to enjoy lucasarts games more newayz.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

The coolest one is in kings quest 2 where a bridge will collapse without warning after you corss it a certain number of times, which makes the game unbeatable. So you have to make sure you cross it only when u have 2

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

space quest 4 had a missable slime when escaping the beginning area that would block you forever

I only like number 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Myst was cool. Sound puzzles are fail tho. Possibly the only style of puzzle thats worse than "the solution is a pop culture ref"