Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

I wonder if Meltzer is an actual San Jose Earthquakes fan, or if he just has a shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fuckin lmao

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Trollologist posted:

Can you do something for me real quck? Just, super quick here, SHUT YOUR loving IDIOT MOUTH. OK, great. thanks.

Since it's painfully clear that you can't read, or don't want to, or whatever let me go ahead and just chunk out a quick number here: 7
That's how many years DOA has been operating without me in it. And, by this ignorant rear end statement that I have to address because you clearly have some kind of learning deficiency, I'm going to guess that you assume that in the entire 7 years of operation they've never once put up flyers?! They do, They do alot. And this is all they have to show for it in almost a decade: 1500FB likes and average big show attendance of around: 200. SO CLEARLY THE FLYERS DON'T loving WORK THAT WELL DO THEY?!?!?!?! BECAUSE IF THEY DID THERE WOULD BE DEMONSTRABLE GROWTH OVER THAT PERIOD OF TIME INSTEAD OF YEAR AFTER YEAR OF FISCAL LOSS YOU SIMPLETON?!

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
What was the deal with that guy who had a complete meltdown?

You know the one.

That guy!

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

I’ve heard of this meltdown but I did not expect it to happen on page 4 of his thread lol

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

This might be a deep cut but I remember cracking up uncontrollably at some dude's posts back when I was lurking in like 2009. I believe this was his avatar:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Free DominatedOhSix and his Scott steiner love

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Raeg posted:

What was the deal with that guy who had a complete meltdown?

You know the one.

That guy!

Sramaker posted:

I request to being banned please, i don't have to deal with people who got fooled by the media.

There's no problem with the gaming industry and related stuff? Fools.

I hate SA and wish i never wasted money to join a bunch of people like, i'm not replying to anything anymore.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

he had some post that was like "*coiling up like a snake to do an RKO and saying something in a deep gravelly voice*" I don't remember exactly but it killed me.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

gently caress I thought this thread was gonna be about the 2k games

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

post videogame booker t over the years

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

remember 80s james hetfield lmao

he's trying to make a comeback too

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I like to pretend its the real James Hetfield because its not like the dude has any pressing commitments or anything.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

No thanks

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hello everyone. please put all yer pedophilia jokes in this thread from now on

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

You're amazing, that was exactly what I was thinking of.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Charlotte Flair did nothing wrong

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

MIDCARDER THAT WON'T AMOUNT TO poo poo.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

NEW YORK RULES! COUNT YOUR OWN PINFALLS! :russo:

Maigius fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 13, 2021

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

the fuckin flyer guy lmao

quote:

Welp. here I go.

1) Why our location is in the sticks and terrible
After 7 years of constantly losing money, the owners have basically given up. and I don't blame them. Earlier this year, the two wrestlers responsible for doing the booking/creative left for about 6 months to wrestle in paraguay and during that time, DOA basically shut down. So, when they came back, with no one looking for or setting up new venues or maintaining contacts or doing anything really, the only option was to partner with a local fad called "BCW" which, everyone says is far worse. The partnership went sour vary fast so they chose to hold shows in their school space out in the sticks.

Furthermore, It is prohibitively expensive to run a wrestling event in Portland, since as far as I know we have the most expensive tickets in town with a wallet-crushing $10/ea. Even then, finding a venue that even has a chance of being affordable in Portland is a huge bitch (not that I haven't been making tons of calls about it) it's SO expensive to do something this cheap here that my rental rates come close to 60% of my maximum gate and I'm trying to get that number closer to 30% the thing that gets me is that every other live event type in portland can get away charging $15, $20, $35 a ticket. but if you charge that for Pro-Wrestling no one is going to pay. So, those are some challenges that need to be overcome.

2) The rough numbers on that promotion I spoke so derisively about
Some things I feel that it is important to remember about these guys: They're losing money hand over fist, and in 10 years of operation this is as big as they've ever gotten. They're selling tickets at buy 1 get 1 half off so the average ticket cost comes out to around $7.50. Also, they pay for their time slot and only charge around $40 a commercial. I can't imagine they're making a ton on that.
Now, I like a lot of the talent they have, but the booking is just abysmal. I mean, I can't think of any other reason why they're not growing and haven't been in years (P.S. they put up flyers)

In any industry it's important to know about your competition because if they are failing you need to find out why and see if you can capitalize on that to pick up the customers they are losing. And if they're succeeding, then you need to figure out what is working and how you can become a part of that success (the, "every fast food company that isn't mcdonalds" plan)

3) what happened in that conversation with said promotion about narrative (i.e. how I think things should be booked)
It was just basic stuff. at the time, they were just booking exhibitions with heels winning clean and what they liked to call "gently caress finishes", some theatricality, and random matches with practically no build. They were (and still are to my knowledge) shooting 4 HOURS of wrestling in one go, to be aired 1 hr at a time on TV.

So, I told them that you needed to write a story arch that started in the 1st show taped and ended in the last show taped. try to include some reference to it or build in each show, so that every episode someone had a reason to tune in next week, and the people at the taping had a reason to stay until the end (they lose about half their crowd during a taping). For me, it was as simple as this: You want to have a tag title match? fine. (for this booking purpose, the protagonists are the new guys)
show 1: Establish new tag team: announce a #1 contenders match for tag title next week, heel tag team answers call to action. 1 face come out, says he has a mystery partner, will have tag match next week.
show 2: Show new team as credible threat: Face comes out, introduces mystery partner (2nd face, ex tag champion), #1 contenders match, Faces win clean. Announce tag title match in "2 weeks"
show 3: Build Odds: Hold singles match with 1 face from face team and 1 heel from heel team only, surprise! heel team beats the poo poo out of face guy, face partner comes in for save, also gets his rear end smashed. singles Match cancelled, tag champ match reminded for "next week"
show 4: Triumph: Faces win clean, audience cheers

It's basic story telling, very low exposition, and gives people a reason to stick around / tune in. I also explained the concept of the hero's journey which is like, a core staple of narrative structure. hope they're still using that.

4) the 80's
Here's some things we didn't have in the 80's: Streaming media, smartphones, the UFC, "Shoot" Interviews as a thing for the general populace, the Internet wrestling communities, beyond the mat, the Internet, weekly primetime wrestling television, Basic Cable as a widely available viewing option.

What I'm saying is you can't site something that was successful 30 years ago as a business model for success today when literally everything else about the landscape of how business is done and how people interact with and consume media has completely changed.

5) why wrestling needs to innovate
It's dying.

The first and biggest point is that the WWE is bleeding. But unlike every other industry no other competitors are rising up to catch the fallout. TNA, ROH, LU, and every other tiny indy aren't catching the almost a million cable viewers that raw has lost from 2014-2015. There isn't a wrestling show out there to capitalize on all the wrestling fans that aren't watching WWE anymore. ex-wwe fans are just becoming ex-wrestling fans. I mean during the monday night wars Wresting had an averages rating of let's say 8.0. Now, Raw is lucky if they can draw 3 or 4.
Where did all those other viewers go? What are they watching now? it's not wrestling.

WWE aside, as you guys have been ever so helpful to point out: Every other American promotion is lucky if they can break even. because most of them are losing piles and piles of money. And that, is VERY telling. The state of the industry when no one is making any money. Look, I'm not saying the way I think it should innovate is the right path, but someone needs to, because wrestling is dying.

6) what I meant about wanting to be ECW knowing full well their history of financial ruin
It's no secret that ECW never made any money. But what they did do was create a fanbase so rabid that to this day, people are still cashing in on it. Thanks to ECW a bunch of what would have otherwise been nobodies got full fledged life long careers. ECW may not have made a bunch of money while it was alive, but I guarantee it's made a poo poo-load of money for every ECW alum since. If I can make that my best case scenario, it's a drat sight better than the prospects now.

7) Why Brand Identity is important. regardless of what product you're selling

Wrestling isn't special. It's not some unique snowflake that needs to be handled every so gently or else it will melt away. it's a loving business. Like cars, or burgers, mining equipment, or tube socks. There's some core business philosophies that are just universal regardless of what kind of business you're operating. And probably the biggest of those is: What makes your business stand out from your competition? if you don't know what sets your product apart then you don't know who to sell it to or why or how. you're just blindly throwing ideas and seeing what sticks. This is a recipe for failure.

To everyone saying I'm not big enough to try something new: that is just wrong. That mindset spits in the face of every small company that had a new idea, every guy selling shoes made with a waffle iron out of his van (nike), every small group of people selling books online out of a garage (amazon), every tiny burger shop that thinks food should be cheap, convenient, and tasty (mcdonalds), every Japanese software company that wants to risk everything they have on releasing a story-centered RPG because they were doomed if they did anything else (square-soft).
The best time to try something new is when you're small because that's when you need to stand out and be different. Otherwise you get swallowed up by your massive competition and their huge entrenched consumer-bases.

When it comes to business, try something new, or don't try at all.

all for a z list indie show outside city limits

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

he should have put more fliers up

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

indeed, the answer was clearly to go all-in on sky-writing

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
what they liked to call "gently caress finishes"

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Whatever happened to Nick Lovin'?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I think Beer Suitcase still posts, though maybe not in psp

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

So... did he ever put up the fliers

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

My only regret is that fliers goon disappeared too quickly.

Burned too bright for our meager forums.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

he got kicked in the head really hard and was later permabanned

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

JOHN CENA posted:

he got kicked in the head really hard and was later permabanned

didn't know he was such a bret hart fan

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

I was never taught how to properly shitpost

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Does anyone have the low ki getting carried out pic

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Junpei Hyde posted:

Does anyone have the low ki getting carried out pic

And the slightly updated version:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Cagematch shows him last wrestling in mid-late 2019, including a tag against Nick Gage.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

ah, so he was killed

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm really sentimental for that time period because the Raw threads were like 30 pages long of people just being excited about wrestling.

My contribution to the thread was bringing a "GIF THIS J-RU" sign to Money in the Bank 2010 and then sort of getting it on camera (AND THEN J-RU DIDN'T loving GIF IT)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

I'm really sentimental for that time period because the Raw threads were like 30 pages long of people just being excited about wrestling.

My contribution to the thread was bringing a "GIF THIS J-RU" sign to Money in the Bank 2010 and then sort of getting it on camera (AND THEN J-RU DIDN'T loving GIF IT)

J-RU!!!! :doom:

But yeah I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the days of GDTs when we were all just a bunch of goobers getting amped for poo poo. Time and circumstances don't really allow it for me anymore anyway, but it was a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Does anyone have the giant collage of all the crazy faces that dude put together? That ruled