Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Another interest post. Science or medical officer here, maybe Vulcan, maybe Trill?

And another vote for TOS/Experimental ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Dr. Sabin Pohr, Chief Medical Officer

Values:"Only by looking to the wisdom of the past can we understand the wisdom of the present.". "The practice of medicine is the realization that all life has value. Not just Trill lives, not just Federation lives, but all lives are worthy of dignity and respect.", "The Federation's not perfect, and by the Pool's light, Starfleet can make the Symbiosis Commission look like a bunch of wild eyed radicals. But it's best hope we've got.", "Space is a wonderful, marvelous place, full of mysteries to be explored, but if you're not careful, if you're unlucky, you'll end up dead, far from home and family."

I remember my first host. Her name was Nafa and she was a dancer. This was before first contact, when we thought we were alone in the galaxy. Nafa was the most athletic woman i know, and I've known some athletic people. When she danced, it was like she was floating on air. That's how it felt, that everything that held you to the earth was gone, and you were alone with the air, and the music, and the joy of it. One of my greatest regrets is that none of my other hosts could dance.

I remember the stress of my childhood. I was a bundle of nerves. My parents were doctors on Trill, both of them unjoined, so medicine was a conversation around the dinner table growing up. My father's failure to be joined was a sense of shame to him, I think. Oh, he never said it, but it was. It shouldn't have been. Every year, almost no one is found suitable. Most people just don't have the ability to take on a symbiote. But still, he saw it as a failure of character, and I think that's why he pushed me so hard. So I took all the exams, physical, mental, psychological, moral. To do all that while getting a medical degree was....exhausting. I couldn't even take time to relax and party. That might prove I was unsuitable. I know everyone has pressure on them from their own sense of obligations and family pressure, but what do you do when you're facing pressure from your own society? That's a lot of pressure.

The pools are quiet and warm. When we don't have a host, our lives would be hard for humanoids to understand. We swim. We feed off the nutrients in the pool and on the light, and we communicate with each other. It is safe there, safe and quiet. We are protected by the Guardians. I don't know what would have happened to us if we hadn't met the humanoids. We would all still be in our pools, I think, knowing nothing, seeing nothing outside of the water.

My apartment was quiet and warm. I had just finished my residency, and was a physician in my own right now. Having gotten my credentials, I was getting ready to leave....not just the hospital but Trill itself. I had applied for and gotten accepted to Starfleet. My parents didn't really take it well. You see, at the time, and even today, really, most Trill didn't leave the Homeworld or interact much with aliens. Oh, we were Federation members, of course, and we traded with other planets, sent diplomats and did all the official things a Federation member did, but most Trill didn't really trust aliens that much. It wasn't just that. My father was convinced that it meant the end of my chances of being joined. At that point, though, I don't know if I cared. It seemed like the symbiosis committee had forgotten about me. I was in that sort of mood when I got the letter and skimmed it. "Sabin Ridin....Symbiosis Committee....honored to announce.....accepted for joining....". "Oh, crap", I remember thinking.

My plans had to be changed after the death of my last host, obviously. I had actually had a vacation planned with our family. This host was a workaholic, much to his detriment and the detriment of his family life. So it would have been good to take time off and reconnect. Sadly, his heart didn't think so. The last thing I remember thinking as I was pulled out of him and put in stasis was just, "Oh, crap."

My plans had to be changed when I got the letter, obviously. I contacted Starfleet and managed to get my acceptance deferred. The fact that I had the planetary government able to vouch for me undoubtedly helped. I was rushed to the Committee offices where I filled out no end of paperwork and underwent no end of further training. Then, finally, most of the neccesary things were done, and it was busy work until they were ready for an implantation. Finally, one day, they called me in. The whole events of the day were a blur. I was scared, sure, but mostly, I was curious. I wanted to see what it would be like. I still remember feeling that way as the anesthetic took hold and I drifted off to sleep.

Then, we woke up.

I won't bore you too much with my life story after that, although I guess each of the individual stories are interesting enough, but you've probably heard all sorts of Starfleet stories....how I got to Earth, finally, where Starfleet taught me to stand at attention, salute, and pretend to be an officer, how our shuttle crashed when we were delivering supplies to a colony on Beta Organa IV, and how I had to drag a crewman and supplies 20 miles to the colony with a mangled leg, saving the crewman and supplies, but losing the leg, how one time I found myself midwife to an asteroid....strangest baby I ever did deliver. I'll tell you those stories if you want, but, for whatever reason, I was thinking about beginnings. Blame it on age I guess. Turning 50 will do that to a man.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Lager posted:

Dr. Sabin Pohr, Chief Medical Officer - Is it to be assumed, Doctor, that you've already had your zhian'tara ritual? How did that feel, meeting the other hosts? Do you have a sense of where you fit in with the history of the Pohr symbiote? Have you mentored any young initiates, and if so, what is your reputation among those young recruits?

I have had my zhian'tara ritual, of course. You know, I'm sure, that it's recommended it be done early, for the mental health of the host, among other things. Without it, of course, one has the memories of the other hosts, but without context, and the new host can be overwhelmed by the strength of their personalities and memories. When I was first joined, I had an overwhelming desire for kaladash pudding., This wouldn't be so bad, except I hate kaladash pudding. It turns out Sidrid, the fourth host, loved the stuff (and had a waistline that showed it). It was it invoked memories of her, as a young girl, going to the beach in the summers with her family and eating it with her brother as the sun went down over the ocean. What was, for me, just a sickly sweet treat, was for her, a memory of her childhood and the innocent times she had, a comfort to her in times of stress.

As to where I fit in the history of the Pohr symbiote, it wasn't clear at first. The Pohr symbiote has had hosts that were male and female, straight and gay, traditionalist and radical, and so on. I think what binds them, besides ambition, is the understanding that if you know the rules of a situation, you can use them to get what you need, if that makes sense.

As for mentoring, I've mentored three initiates, but all three washed out of the program. I believe I have the reputation of being "frightening", which is, of course, absurd. I am the soul of kindness and tact. Still, having a symbiote is a big responsibility....it represents the history and future of our species. There's no kindness is giving that opportunity to someone who isn't fit for it. It will destroy both host and symbiote.