Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Do you fly a lot? Do you have brand loyalty? Do you get perks for flying with them, in the form of upgrades, airport lounges, and free flights? Then this is probably the place for you! Frequent flyer programs like United’s MileagePlus, American’s AAdvantage, British Airways’ Executive Club, plus multi-airline alliances like Star Alliance or oneworld, all help travellers rack up points/miles for status. Let’s discuss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My favourite lounge is the United Club lounge at Heathrow. All the free drinks and cocktails, and drat good food. Also, it's a very classy modern take on mid-century modern style-wise.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 15, 2021

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
This thread reminds me that I need to endure the seemingly sisyphean challenge of contacting Avianca Lifemiles to get my 80,000 points back for the canceled IAH-SYD flight that I wanted to take later this year. Also I've got a bunch of Chase points that are burning a hole in my pocket.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

What’s the Chase points conversion rate, and with whom?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the goon verdict on points? I am off the impression it's a ripoff to switch them over to something like Amazon credits but I'm holding onto over 350,000 miles on Delta and 1.2 Million with Hilton but I'm curious if anyone else has any different suggestions.

For now, I'm still saving them for my future honeymoon or a rainy day.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What's the goon verdict on points? I am off the impression it's a ripoff to switch them over to something like Amazon credits but I'm holding onto over 350,000 miles on Delta and 1.2 Million with Hilton but I'm curious if anyone else has any different suggestions.

For now, I'm still saving them for my future honeymoon or a rainy day.

It's not a bad idea for an earn and burn use case. Hoarding is almost always a losing game as points only devalue over time.* Cash back is a better alternative unless you're burning points on a regular basis.

*Pandemic is causing weird things in this world and it's not fully fleshed out yet so we'll see what airlines in particular start to do in order to snipe market share from competitors. You're already seeing that with route planning so loyalty is probably not that far behind.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hopefully United offers to hold Mileageplus status for another year like they did this year. I don’t want to lose my platinum status in 6 months because I literally can’t fly anywhere. :/

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Beef Of Ages posted:

It's not a bad idea for an earn and burn use case. Hoarding is almost always a losing game as points only devalue over time.* Cash back is a better alternative unless you're burning points on a regular basis.

*Pandemic is causing weird things in this world and it's not fully fleshed out yet so we'll see what airlines in particular start to do in order to snipe market share from competitors. You're already seeing that with route planning so loyalty is probably not that far behind.

Ugh.

Does anyone have advice for min/maxing points? I'm trying to spent some time in Miami-Fort Lauderdale and Los Angeles now that the pandemic is lifting but trying to game the system with that 5 Day Hilton Bonus day is a little funky. And wasn't there a way to use Delta points on hotels or is that gone now?

Do I dare reading through flyer talk?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Ugh.

Does anyone have advice for min/maxing points? I'm trying to spent some time in Miami-Fort Lauderdale and Los Angeles now that the pandemic is lifting but trying to game the system with that 5 Day Hilton Bonus day is a little funky. And wasn't there a way to use Delta points on hotels or is that gone now?

Value of delta points for hotels, if it exists, is almost certainly trash. Hilton is about finding a standard award room in a location where the rooms aren't dirt cheap.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Ugh.

min/maxing is almost pointless for conventional, domestic travel -- and everybody knows this, which is why airlines/hotels are the first to devalue this market and test things like dynamic pricing

But it's also why all the travel bloggers/credit card marketers end up in the same hotel destinations in the Maldives, trying to maximize their hotel rewards, or all flying the same airlines and cabins using airline miles, like Lufthansa First Class.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My favorite lounge is the Qatar first class lounge in Doha. Amazing experience.

For anyone that uses Hertz and has United status - Hertz will give you their points (which are nearly useless now) as well as United miles if you fill out the Hertz frequent traveler form (google the page). I’ve been getting 1,000 United miles for every Hertz rental over the past 5 years.

notaviking
Aug 15, 2011

You can run, but you'll just die tired...
Outside of doing mileage runs (low cost fares with maximum bonus point accrual between destinations) to quickly move up in medallion status, I've semi-gamed it by registering the company I work for with the SkyBonus program for additional point accruals every time a co-worker travels. My company didn't have a registration so I kick over sky club certificates every now and then to make the folks that matter happy but use the "expiring" points to book award travel for myself. Yes, I might have some explaining to do if they ask to see the statement report but for the most part, once co-workers set it up on their Delta profile, it's fire and forget.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Old Crows posted:

Outside of doing mileage runs (low cost fares with maximum bonus point accrual between destinations) to quickly move up in medallion status, I've semi-gamed it by registering the company I work for with the SkyBonus program for additional point accruals every time a co-worker travels. My company didn't have a registration so I kick over sky club certificates every now and then to make the folks that matter happy but use the "expiring" points to book award travel for myself. Yes, I might have some explaining to do if they ask to see the statement report but for the most part, once co-workers set it up on their Delta profile, it's fire and forget.

lol

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Old Crows posted:

Ok well what you're doing there is fraud so I'm going to go ahead and recommend not doing that and even less telling people about it.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

This avatar, while great, is totally loving me up when I read things.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Beef Of Ages posted:

This avatar, while great, is totally loving me up when I read things.

I got u bae. ;-*

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

wait, did you get your old av back?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cacafuego posted:

wait, did you get your old av back?

Yup, figured I'd donate some cash to these dead forums.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Normalcy restored. :allears:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Old Crows posted:

lmao awesome

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
There are a bunch of YouTube channels and websites on this subject, I got started with Miles Mogul after he did a lecture I caught, though part of his story was having a sister who was BA flight crew that got him accruing points cheaply.

I believe his #1 point, which I've not seen mentioned in here, is get an Amex or similar card that accrues reward points and channel your spending through it as far as possible. I can only speak for the UK but we also have loyalty schemes like Tesco Clubcard that can transfer to a lot of the airline points programs, so you can "double up" paying with an Amex whilst on the store scheme. And then there's the complimentary practice of using hotel loyalty schemes that can sometimes transfer to the airlines, although it may be better leaving the points with them and having cheaper hotels with your cheaper travel.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I wish I flew enough to take advantage of airline perks. Only thing I have is CSR and Priority Pass is pretty meh as far as lounges are concerned (though the restaurant credit is dope just not enough places that participate).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well, we’re rapidly approaching Q4, and United still haven’t said anything about helping EU/UK travellers maintain status for 2022, despite not really being able to really fly anywhere long haul.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
I travel domestically for work frequently and the pandemic hasn't stopped me so I have a few opinions on this stuff, but I could also be wrong. I plan to finish visiting all 50 states by Summer (at 49 now). It seems like a lot of min/maxing is not worth the effort for domestic travelers.

I like the Delta reward system, it's nice at Gold (skipping long check-in line) and at Platinum I get upgraded to first class on most flights. I am pissed because I'm just a couple flights away from Delta Diamond but I'm just not going to make it by year end. I think it's funny that some people REALLY CARE about those stupid plastic member status bag tags.

I have only been in an airport lounge once and in general I plan my trips to spend as little time in an airport as possible. What are you people doing where you have hours to kill in a lounge? gently caress that.

Marriott and Hilton seem pretty similar to me in terms of hotel quality. I switched from Hilton to Marriott after Hilton started contacting me with high-pressure sales calls. I am posting this from a Marriott in Washington DC now. I use a Marriott card for everything but maybe I should do Amex? Or at least book all my flights on a Delta card?

Don't hoard reward points and don't hoard work PTO hours.

Dr Strangepants fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Dr Strangepants posted:

Don't hoard reward points and don't hoard work PTO hours.