Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
A Tale in the Desert 10

Game launches May 28, 10am PST. Scroll down to the second post for Gooncamp specific info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw2FlfMkWWQ

Mostly this will be the same as Tale 9’s post, but I’m updating it for current news.

Do you like sandbox games? Do you enjoy problem solving? Do you think Egypt is cool? Are you looking for a break from PvP games or hoping to find a unique gaming experience?

A Tale in the Desert is a strange little MMO that focuses on crafting. You begin as a desert nomad with nothing except the ability to make a few items and harvest some natural resources. From that humble origin, a myriad of activities open up. You can brew beer, master cooking, practice acrobatics, learn glassblowing, farm vegetables, and keep livestock. Some players concentrate on mastering tricky skills like metalwork, while others pursue leadership, art, or architecture goals. It’s a sprawling sandbox game, so if something gets boring, there are dozens of other things to do instead.

Each time a new Tale begins, the world is wiped clean, the devs make a bunch of upgrades, and everyone starts over from scratch. Tale 10 starts out on May 28th so it’s an excellent time to jump into the desert and see what it’s about.

Compared to most MMOs, Tale is a meditative experience. There’s no PvP and the goal is to cultivate the environment, rather than dominate it. No monsters lurk in the Nile. There are no dungeons to crawl. It’s a game of exploration, investigation and building. Trolls and griefers don’t last long because of the cooperative elements of the game. Unsurprisingly, the player-base skews towards the 30+ crowd, but you’ll find all ages represented.

Apparently a lot of things have changed since T9, but there wasn’t an open Beta so we have no idea what they are. Factions will be handled differently and we won’t have to gently caress around with tokens and tribute posts again.

Our guild is Affable Evil, located in Herakleopolis. We are happy to take new or returning players. Note that not all of our members are goons, so try not to get too obscure in chat. There is no limit to how many guilds you join.

Crazy poo poo This Game Has Done

* In one tale there was a plague. If you got sick, it could log you out of the game. (Dev: "Mistakes were made, but I stand by the idea.")
* There was an NPC who gave male characters great looking tools and insulted female characters. (His tools turned out to be garbage.)
* One player RPed as a sheep for so long that the devs made him into a sheep. He wanders the game with a smaller sheep who follows him around. You can shave him for an Achievement.

Starting Out

When you log into the game for the first time, you’ll find yourself on an island. In order to get from there to the rest of Egypt, you need to complete a series of simple tasks. You’re able to gather wood, slate, sand, mud, and grass--all of which you’ll need to build a wood plane (boards), brick racks (bricks), a flax comb (tow and lint), distaff (twine). You’re also going to learn the basics of growing flax and build a cart to transport your items to the mainland. At that point, you’ll need to pick a faction. Most of us are probably going Meshwesh, but you can change your mind later. Whichever you pick it probably isn’t a big deal.

From there, it’s up to you. You’ll probably want to carve out a piece of land for yourself and build a compound. Maybe you’ll jump straight into a cooperative guild, or spend your time wandering the wilderness in search of resources like herbs or wild livestock. Guilds exist for almost every niche (language, interests, cooperation, friendships etc) and you can join as many as you like.

If you’d like to connect with us, type “/chat Coyote” or “/chat Erev” in the chat bar to open a channel. Gooncamp will be in Herakleopolis at 1000 5300.

When the game goes live, your first 24 hours of played time are free. After that, you need to pick a subscription package. Note that longer ones come with perks.

Resources

* Official Discord: https://discord.gg/mcm5WkS
* Lots more to come.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Gooncamp business will go here. Type "/chat Coyote" or "/chat Erev" for orientation help. Our guild is called Affable Evil and we have a pretty good reputation for being solid, helpful, and cooperative players. If you wanna be a troll, run solo or pick another guild.

We are a semi-communistic group. You can have your own compound and projects, but we all collaborate on building up shared equipment and resources. We also work with other guilds on bigger things like research.

Our home region Herakleopolis is located about halfway between Meshwesh Delta (city of Tanis) and Asyut (city of Avaris.) New characters can teleport to friends, so check if someone is in camp first. Coordinates are approximately 1000 5300. Check with inhabitants before building a compound close to anything else. It's rude to crowd anyone else, and we need space for guild buildings.

Upsides:
* Near the Nile (good for growing papyrus)
* nearby expedition site, which functions as a bit like a teleporter, so we're not cut off from the chariot routes
* decent tree coverage and natural resources
* surrounded by lakes
* away from other groups, so no need to fight for land
* less vulnerable to pollution from neighbouring camps

Downside:
* long walk to Meshwesh Delta schools until you get Expedition Travel (easily attainable in the first few days of play)

Tips:
* you only need to grow one patch of flax to get off newbie island. After you process it in a flax comb, the game will hand you enough rotten flax to finish the rest of the tutorial
* type /chat name to open up a conversation tab with any player, even if they're offline at the time
* new characters can teleport to players (right click on yourself to find the menu.) If you jump from newbie island to somewhere inconvenient like East Sinai, ask in Faction Chat to see if anyone is near Tanis to get a free trip there. (Note that there are a lot of items you cannot teleport while carrying)
* while you are in Tanis or near the Great Hall, go into the navigation menu and set it as your "Home."
* our play-style is going to be semi-communistic--have your own compound and belongings, but contribute to shared projects and goals
* we are also happy to have players who join us socially while playing in other guilds
* some guild members aren't goons (hey, we warned them.)
* no griefing other players--we are The Affable Evil

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 16, 2021

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hi I basically bounced off this game incredibly hard and I want to give this description from a non-fans view: This is a very slow-burning crafting game with tech tree unlocks that are largely outside of individual control, and is best approached more as a collaborative bonzai tree than something like Minecraft. The tutorial alone implies systems that are incredibly deep, but personally I couldnt stand it.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

It definitely is not for everyone. It's got quite a devoted following, but we know we're weird.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It would've been cool if any of the owners had the inclination to make the game better or more appealing, instead we get the same "appeal to long-time core players at all costs" like the ship will sink any moment without them.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Howdy! I loved my time in ATITD back in the first few tellings, and then life got busy. I am looking forward to checking it out again. I'd love some settle down with some friendly folks to collaborate with, and will look you up when the telling kicks off.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
After watching Fixxer's beginner tutorial on YT, I think I'm going to give this game another go. Unfortunately I have to work four 10-hour days at launch, so I'll probably only be around for a couple hours at the start.

Are there any particular specializations that are useful, required, or brokenly OP?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Moose_Knuck posted:

After watching Fixxer's beginner tutorial on YT, I think I'm going to give this game another go. Unfortunately I have to work four 10-hour days at launch, so I'll probably only be around for a couple hours at the start.

Are there any particular specializations that are useful, required, or brokenly OP?

Last Tale, most of us started out with a few points in Labourer in order to get the extra carry so we could haul sheep around. Later, Weaver seemed to be the best. I was interested in dowsing for metals, so I specced as a Priest pretty early to get the extra perception point.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Weaver does look like an interesting option, but I plan on going Lumberjack for the early game and respec'ing into Stonemason later on. It looks like talent points are fairly sparse, so major traits one and two should go a long way, right? If that's the case, are traits like Carpenter's The Way of Stone, Potter's Fired Clay, or Weaver's Nimble Fingers actually worth the investment? Or would it be better going for +resource traits (including improving timers)?

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
I was reading around the wiki and decided on a new path to maximize stat point gain while picking up important traits: Start by going Potter until you get the first trait, then pick up Stonemason and advance up to (and including) the first trait. Continue grabbing stats from both until just before the second trait. Pick up Lumberjack and dump the rest of the points into that.

That way you get faster brick making, bonus slate drops, extra wood drops (depending on how many talent points you acquire) and a load of stat points.

The impression I got was that Mighty Chop is an extremely useful trait for collecting wood, so if I can manage 32 talent points I'm going to respec into Lumberjack later for that.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Talents and traits are a really positive addition to the game, I feel. I like being able to specialize in the things I enjoy doing and having an edge on others who prioritized differently. Last Tale you could respec your talents once a month, so you never got stuck on a spec you didn't like.

I can't get time off work on Friday to be around at release, but I'll be there around 5pm PST. I'll try to get some names of Affables who will be around so new players can newbie-warp to them in camp. We're keeping a map of camp claims in Discord, but there's lots of nice spots left.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Pixelante posted:

We're keeping a map of camp claims in Discord, but there's lots of nice spots left.

If you're referring to a discord server that is for organizing this group, I think it's not in any of the posts, the only Discord link I see is the official ATITD one.

Somebob
Sep 16, 2000

Contents Guaranteed By Law To Contain At Least 99% Chemicals At All Times

Moose_Knuck posted:

Weaver does look like an interesting option, but I plan on going Lumberjack for the early game and respec'ing into Stonemason later on. It looks like talent points are fairly sparse, so major traits one and two should go a long way, right? If that's the case, are traits like Carpenter's The Way of Stone, Potter's Fired Clay, or Weaver's Nimble Fingers actually worth the investment? Or would it be better going for +resource traits (including improving timers)?

The seccond Weaver trait is, if it is unchanged from the last Tale, the single biggest time-saver of any of the early perks, and remains useful throughout the entire game. The first trait is a massive help for the most painful part of the game, from start up until we get metals. The stat mix isn't bad, either. Endurance will be the most limiting factor for a variety of production activities throughout the entire early game, and Dex lets you carry more bulk and run faster off-roads. Focus is a bit of a waste, but has some uses when it's time to look for metals, and some before that.

Honestly not sure how effective the Carpenter perks are, but the finding more slate Stonemason one is a pretty decent bonus. And gathering slate is one of the more annoying early game activities, so good to have help there.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008

Somebob posted:

The seccond Weaver trait is, if it is unchanged from the last Tale, the single biggest time-saver of any of the early perks, and remains useful throughout the entire game. The first trait is a massive help for the most painful part of the game, from start up until we get metals. The stat mix isn't bad, either. Endurance will be the most limiting factor for a variety of production activities throughout the entire early game, and Dex lets you carry more bulk and run faster off-roads. Focus is a bit of a waste, but has some uses when it's time to look for metals, and some before that.

Honestly not sure how effective the Carpenter perks are, but the finding more slate Stonemason one is a pretty decent bonus. And gathering slate is one of the more annoying early game activities, so good to have help there.

Thank you for this post. You really got me to re-think my strategy for the early/mid game. It looks like Cutting Corners (canvas and linen) is an extremely useful trait given how much it is used in regularly-produced items/buildings, especially if you are going the rancher/beekeeper route.

Since I'm going to stick to more of an industry-focused route a mix of stonemason/lumberjack appears to be a stronger combination for the early/mid game due to the trait and stat mix. It looks like you pickup stonework (to unlock stonemason) fairly early, so I'm going to save my talent points and grab the slate trait, progress up to just before the second trait (for the stats) and then move over to lumberjack since it appears gravel has more uses in mid-late game, which renders stonemason's second trait ineffective for a time.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

ModeSix posted:

If you're referring to a discord server that is for organizing this group, I think it's not in any of the posts, the only Discord link I see is the official ATITD one.

Here's the Affable Evil discord:
https://discord.gg/8reRj3rGhn

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Two more days HYPE!!! Small distaffs, wood planes, and brick moulds as far as the eye can see--a marvelous sight of small industry!

Just to be clear can we, indeed, kidnap sheep for later penning?

Somebob
Sep 16, 2000

You need a bit higher than base carry in order to hold one sheep, but yes, that is how you acquire sheep once you have a sheep pen. You find them in the wild, and you grab them. One can also try to slaughter them as they stand, in the event you find more than you can carry. Which will be always. But the success rate of strangling sheep to death in the wild is very low.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
After nearly two decades, I can finally sit on a bench.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Chill crafting game is exactly what the doctor ordered. Take one dose after a hard day at work.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
So I had a bunch of free time on my account, which was kinda weird. I asked about it but nobody seemed to care, took a shot and just played like it was going to be there.

Nope. All gone. Turns out it was a technical bug and Malard opted not to honor it.

The least he could do is let me transfer all my stuff to the guild, but I doubt he'll even let me do that.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

So I had a bunch of free time on my account, which was kinda weird. I asked about it but nobody seemed to care, took a shot and just played like it was going to be there.

Nope. All gone. Turns out it was a technical bug and Malard opted not to honor it.

The least he could do is let me transfer all my stuff to the guild, but I doubt he'll even let me do that.

That sucks. Are you in the official Discord? Sometimes you can make a plea in the bug report channel.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Pixelante posted:

That sucks. Are you in the official Discord? Sometimes you can make a plea in the bug report channel.

I'm giving it a shot but Malard already went to bed, and the peanut gallery are both pessimistic and twisting themselves into knots trying to find an apt metaphor for my situation.

Somebob
Sep 16, 2000

Yeah retconning the free trial period after the game starts is pretty weird, especially if done without warning. Sorry I wasn't around or I'd have backed you. I suspect the peanut gallery were right to be pessimistic insofar as getting the time reinstated for everyone, but letting specific players caught by this change have enough time to finish up business is the sort of reasonable he could often be talked into.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
He gave me some extra time to transfer my stuff to the guild, so everything I was working on won't be wasted.

Somebob
Sep 16, 2000

Along with one of the pissiest responses I've ever seen out of him, jeez. Wonder who pissed in *his* cheerios? This was not an unreasonable request. Ah well.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I got robbed of maybe a couple weeks of free play and he's the one who's mad? What a weirdo.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

I got robbed of maybe a couple weeks of free play and he's the one who's mad? What a weirdo.

This my friends is a good example of bad PR.

On the topic of what happened, I mean demanding something back of your thing you didn't pay for is also poor tact.

I think both sides of this could have been handled better.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 4, 2021

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Hello friends. It's been awhile. I'm sorry for burning out the way I did. Turns out Tale is really difficult to succeed with when you're working a full-time job that engages all your energy. I felt like I couldn't keep up on Talent points and got frustrated. However, Tale 10 is still running, and I may dip my toes back in now that I have a bit more time.

One of the devs has reached out to me to get goon feedback on Tale. I agreed to poke the hive to see what you folks think. What would you change about Tale? What was the point where you stopped playing? What would make the game friendlier to new players? What did you like most about Tale? Now is a good time to have a voice in what T11 will look like.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Fire Malard and then implement a free to play mode.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

implement a free to play mode.

#1 thing that has been keeping me from trying Tale. even if it was a progression limited thing where i could play indefinitely if only to gather up basic mats for fellow goons.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Pixelante posted:

Hello friends. It's been awhile. I'm sorry for burning out the way I did. Turns out Tale is really difficult to succeed with when you're working a full-time job that engages all your energy. I felt like I couldn't keep up on Talent points and got frustrated. However, Tale 10 is still running, and I may dip my toes back in now that I have a bit more time.

One of the devs has reached out to me to get goon feedback on Tale. I agreed to poke the hive to see what you folks think. What would you change about Tale? What was the point where you stopped playing? What would make the game friendlier to new players? What did you like most about Tale? Now is a good time to have a voice in what T11 will look like.

Honestly the biggest thing is once you fall even one or two steps behind it feels like it takes forever to catch up.

Falling behind is the death of interest because catching up is so much work, even with other people helping you.

Also, gently caress running for hours upon hours to get places, as adults we have better things to do than watch endless geography go by very slowly just to do a run to get skills or something.

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
NGL I have this thread bookmarked even though I'd never played the game because skimming the past threads were very fun on idle moments. Going to the mobile site does not give me a clear path to purchasing or understanding how to exchange currency for Egypt game so maybe a clear purchase link isn't a bad idea either?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Honestly the reason I stopped playing is because you have to compete with the grogs to progress.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

We don't have a date yet for Tale 11, but if anyone still gives a poo poo, it's on the horizon.

I might casually play but I don't have the time or spoons to help run a guild. I also found 10 really frustrating to play when I had a 9-5 M-F job. My time was too valuable to grind much, and I missed out on way too many opportunities for talent points because I just wasn't available. My time is a little more flexible now, but I don't want to set myself up for that kind of annoyance and FOMO.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Did they have anything to say about maybe going free to play? I don't think they care but I gotta ask.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
No free to play for tale 11, or possibly ever, mostly because they don't want to upset their existing player base.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

What would free play even look like? Ads in the desert? The playerbase definitely wouldn't wanna roll with that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Pixelante posted:

What would free play even look like? Ads in the desert? The playerbase definitely wouldn't wanna roll with that.

idk, feats unlocking half the reward with the other half requiring a paid sub like a battlepass does

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i wouldn't mind if i could play a bit to see if i want to sub. it doesn't need to aggressively MTX, just "play until level 10" or equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

There's 24 hours of gameplay time for free which is plenty sufficient to see if you want to play it. That's 24 hours of actual playtime.

There are some limitations on what you can do, but generally it lets you get a feel for the game.