Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

UFC is back with a crowd again tonight, this time in Houston, Texas! The fights miraculously stayed intact and almost everyone made weight, Dariush had to use a second attempt to make 156, Bontorin weighed in at 137 and did not make a second attempt.

Here are words about tonight's fights, you should read them:

CommonShore posted:

Well plenty of time for this to fall apart between now and Saturday. Let’s see what we have

:frogsiren:Lightweight Championship Charles Oliveira vs Michael Chandler
It’s a vacant title. I’ve seen a few commentators describe this matchmaking as “the best guys who Khabib never beat up.” Oliveira and Chandler are opposites in like every way I can think of. “Aloe” Do Bronx “Vera” is a Brazilian BJJ whiz who came into the UFC very young and has been around for ages. After an unsuccessful run at featherweight, he returned to lightweight and has been just tearing up opponents since then with just a more complete game. His striking looks good, and his wrestling is improved, but his grappling is the main event – he has more submission wins and more wins by different submissions than any other UFC fighter. Last time out he just trounced Tony Ferguson, and Kevin Lee before that. Chandler comes into the UFC in the twilight of his career after a long time in Bellator, where he became famous for an exciting title fight series with Eddie Alvarez. He won and lost the title a few times, most recently getting KOed by the smaller Pitbull brother. He made his UFC debut on a 1-win streak and KOed top contender Dan Hooker in the first round. He’s a great wrestler with powerful and accurate, if unsophisticated, striking.

It's a great fight and the winner will probably fight the winner of McGregor-Poirier III, with Justin Gaethje floating around as well.

Main Card PPV
:siren:Lightweight Tony Ferguson vs Beniel Dariush
Tony just can’t get an easy fight. He’s the former interim champion who once boasted a 12-fight winning streak. He’s crazy and fights with combat rolls and elbows and blood. But he got beaten up really bad by Justin Gaethje, and then pretty bad by Charles Oliveira. Meanwhile, Dariush is streaking, again. He’s a habitual streaker. He’s an Assyrian (seriously) elite grappler with big hands. He’s hittable, but more than once he has KOed an opponent either while hurt or in an exchange. Last time out he had a great fight with Carlos Diego Feirrera. This fight has lots of potential for crazy poo poo to happen. The outcome really depends on how much Ferguson has aged and lost a step.

Flyweight Katlyn Chookagian vs Viviane Araujo
Katlyn “Blonde Fighter” is the former #1 contender. She got stopped via TKO cuts to Valentina in a one-sided beating, and then she got body-shot TKOed by Jessica Andrade. There might have been another fight in there – I can’t remember and it doesn’t really matter. For the most part, when Chookagian wins, she outpoints her opponents with not-especially-threatening striking, though she has shown off a great BJJ top game once or twice. Araujo is 4-1 in the UFC, with her lone loss being to Jessica Eye. Last time out she took a decision over Roxy. I can’t remember really much for details of that fight (or for Araujo) but I do remember it was one-sided.

:siren:Featherweight Shane Burgos vs Edson Barboza
Yessssss. Burgos is a solid striker who has good technique but goes into the fire. He has been floating around the edges of contendership for sometime, but has lost some key fights to guys like Calvin Kattar. He’s fun to watch and pretty good. Barboza is a veteran known for kickfighting. He is one of the best kickers ever in the sport. He kicks heads, he kicks legs. He snaps them, he spins them, and is fun. He has lost a step though and is trying to reinvigorate his career by moving down in weight. Last time out he took a pretty fun decision win over Amirkani.

Bantamweight Matt Schnell vs Rogerio Bontorin
I don’t know these dudes. Schnell has a 5-3 UFC record with wins over Smolka, Espinosa, and Tyson Nam, bouncing between bantamweight and flyweight. His most recent loss is to Alexandre Pantoja. Botnorin is a DWCS (Brazil) product who is 2-2 UFC and got walk away KOed by Kai Kara-France in March

Prelims ESPN/ESPN+
Middleweight Ronaldo Souza vs Andre Muniz
It’s Jacare. He’s good at fighting but getting old – he’s one of the all-time-great BJJ champions, and the former Strikeforce champ. He’s on a 3-fight skid, most recently being loving bizarro world KOed by Kevin Holland, but before that taking current Light Heavyweight champion to a split decision. Muniz is a DWCS product who submitted Bartosz Fabinski by a pretty sweet arm bar in September.

Featherweight Lando Vannata vs Mike Grundy
Groovy Lando is a pure action fighter who has been around for a few years racking up draws and split decisions. He has a few KOs, but he’s better known for gritty decisions. This is his featherweight debut. Mike Grundy is a Brit who is 1-1 UFC with lots of submission wins. He lost to Evloev in July. That might have been the fight where Evloev suplexed the poo poo out of him over and over.

Flyweight Andrea Lee vs Antonina Shevchenko
The lesser of their names. Andrea “KGB” Lee (not to be confused with One FC champ Angela Lee) is a Texan kickboxer. She’s long and rangy but not really threatening in her power. She’s on a 3-fight skid but is around because she’s ~marketable~ and wears a cowboy hat. Shevchenko is the less effective sister of the divisional champion. She has a pretty shallow game imo, but decent striking fundamentals. She’s coming off of a TKO win over Ariane Lipski for a 3-2 UFC record. Don’t expect fireworks out of this fight, but we might be treated to some blood if the stars align.

Just as an editorial aside it really bothers me that a fighter can be lovely and on a 3 fight skid and keep her job because she’s conventionally attractive, but a fighter like Lauren Murphy has to win like 7 in a row to get considered for a title shot, or Liz Carmouche can be released with like 1 loss.

Middleweight Jordan Wright vs Jamie Pickett
Jordan Wright came off of DWCS with a cut TKO of Ike Villanueva but he was KOed really badly by Joaquim Buckley. Pickett is a DWCS guy who I think had the storyline of making it to the UFC on his third attempt. He lost his debut to Nchukwi, who we saw lose to Iron Turtle last weekend.

Early Prelims (Fight Pass)
Flyweight Gina Mazany vs Priscilla Cachoeira
Cachoeira came in off of a huge streak of wins in Brazilian regional promotions and then got so smashed by Valentina Shevchenko that a ref lost his job over it. She KOed Shana Dobson in her last fight, to bring her to 1-3 in the UFC. Mazany is 2-4 UFC and TKOed Rachael Ostovich in her first flyweight fight. This is a pretty scrub-tier fight and it should be in Invicta.

Kevin Aguilar vs Tucker Lutz
Huh. That’s his real name. He’s 11-1 and coming in from two consecutive DWCS fights. Aguilar is a DWCS guy who is 2-3 in the UFC. He’s probably still around despite a 3-fight skid because the DWCS guys get roped into poo poo contracts and they get paid peanuts.

Lightweight Christos Giagos vs Sean Soriano
Giagos is 3-2 in the UFC in his second run here, though those two losses are to Charles Oliveira and Drakkar Klose. Soriano is 0-3 in the UFC and is coming back for a second run. What a fart of a fight. I’d happily watch a fight like this on an LFA card but why is this on a PPV?

Snack Rating: An ice cream sundae with a whole shitload of really good toppings on top of c-tier ice cream that melts too fast as you eat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
first walkouts just started.

And yay fans again....

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The crowd sounds seem fake or at least really amplified to my ear. There is no way that there are that many peoplethere for and invested in this fight.

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009
It looked like there was a lot more people here than usual for the first fight, at least in the cheap seats.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
D'arce chokes are so sweet

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Great way to start the night!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

AWWWW YESSSSSS CUNTS!!!!!! I have an iced long black in hand, beers in the fridge for the main card and some wiiings and chips on order for lunch delivery. Gonna be a good loving fight DAY!!!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Turned on the prelims, wondered what the gently caress that weird noise and then realized there is a crowd there :lol:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Everyone please remember to rank these fighters based on the animals they could take in a fight tia

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

blue footed boobie posted:

Everyone please remember to rank these fighters based on the animals they could take in a fight tia

I'm basing my decisions on tattoos.... apparently decapitated heads in a bed of roses is tougher than a growling tiger face.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Let's goooooooooooo

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
other than the coolness of a darce choke, anything rad to look back at?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God Mazany

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God Mazany

Those were some big shots. I think she was gassed as gently caress as soon as they stood up too though

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God that loving armbar :stonk:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jesus that Armbar

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That was some impressive grappling

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Ow that armbar

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
nasty armbar.

mir vs Sylvia flashbacks. poo poo was going to snap

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy loving poo poo this fight! :aaa:

Edit: That was just non-stop action start to finish, overwhelming unending offense. Jesus Christ.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

GODDAMN

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
loving hell. nonstop violent action and loved it

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

That motherfucker fights like a cartoon dad trying to fix a VCR

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

That was loving savage

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This is looking like another really fun card that dies a horrible death at Chookagian

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

drat, that was a mugging. Dude got loving smashed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoombatINC posted:

That motherfucker fights like a cartoon dad trying to fix a VCR

Ahahaha :lol:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Jordan Wright seems like a sweety. Reminds me of Stephen Thompson

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Fight in the stands?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

There was just a great fight 3 rows in front of us. Dudes were really going at it.

Hollandia posted:

Fight in the stands?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grundy does a good job of shifting and not just standing and getting picked apart. For a wrestler he avoids really well in the striking game. Not a lot of pattern to his movement - making it hard for Vannata to time him and gauge his range. I'd like to see him set and throw a low kick or something every now and then he's purely defensive - obviously something he's worked on a lot, but he really could add some kicks to his arsenal given Lando isn't shooting.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The crowd here is exactly what you would expect. Meathead fight in the stands. The guy behind us thinks he's Joe Rogan announcing the fight. When I went to the bathroom three dudes were waiting for a urinal despite there being one open because it was in between two other dudes.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

The crowd here is exactly what you would expect. Meathead fight in the stands. The guy behind us thinks he's Joe Rogan announcing the fight. When I went to the bathroom three dudes were waiting for a urinal despite there being one open because it was in between two other dudes.

Thank you for your service.

Dr Interweb
May 18, 2005

Cow Polls
30-27 Grundy? It wasn't a blowout or anything but what fight was that judge watching?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Love a shout out to the crowd while they boo.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I still remember Vannata's first fight in the UFC coming on 2 weeks notice against Ferguson and almost finishing him.

His record is sorta of crazy.
Came into the UFC 8-0. And in order
Lost to Tony. Highlight KO (the wheel kick), loss, draw, loss, draw, win, loss, win, loss, win(tonight's).

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

D-Pad posted:

Fight footage:

https://twitter.com/MainTeamSports/status/1393736079963000833

https://twitter.com/aschilinski/status/1393737131105914882

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Digital Jedi posted:

I still remember Vannata's first fight in the UFC coming on 2 weeks notice against Ferguson and almost finishing him.

His record is sorta of crazy.
Came into the UFC 8-0. And in order
Lost to Tony. Highlight KO (the wheel kick), loss, draw, loss, draw, win, loss, win, loss, win(tonight's).

He has the uncanny knack of putting on the exact pace required to make a fight extremely difficult to score.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

D-Pad posted:

When I went to the bathroom three dudes were waiting for a urinal despite there being one open because it was in between two other dudes.

loving incredible :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I can see myself in that first one. That second one is at the very end, the cops took quite a while to get there. The dude standing up landed some solid shots.