Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is sleeping the best thing ever?
Yes
No
View Results

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Sleeping sucks. I have vivid dreams or nightmares ALL night and wake up literally about 20 times. I wake up, flail around, and fall back asleep for a bit. Sleeping feels like it takes hours due to how much work is involved and not just a few seconds or minutes like some people who just plop down and wake up.

I got a sleep study and they told me I "sleep violently."

I have a number of sleep disorders. According to my "VA Problems List,"
-Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome
-Sleep-wake schedule disorder
-Obstructive sleep apnea
-Insomnia
-Hypersomnia

Thanks for making me feel sad OP!!!!! :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I actually got a dream catcher that I made blessed by Buddhist monks and it still doesn't work. hmmppff

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

AHH F/UGH posted:

Nah

Waking up at night and feeling tired all day
Nightmares
Sleep apnea
Waking nightmares
Panic dreams where you’re back at school or old job and loving everything up
Can’t sleep on a work night

Pepperoni pizza is probably the best thing ever

:hfive: brother

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Dixville posted:

Dude having insomnia and hypersomnia at the same time must suck. I'm assuming that means you can't sleep and then you feel tired whenever you wake up. I feel for you man. I also got a sleep study like a month ago, haven't got the results back yet (I need to call again tomorrow) but people have literally told me I seemed to stop breathing in my sleep sooo

You probably have sleep apnea then. When I was younger and I'd pass out drunk there is that thing that your friends do, they hold your nose shut and then you open your mouth to breath. I never did that. They got scared when I just wouldn't breath and they stopped lol.

I don't really have insomnia nearly as bad anymore. I take melatonin at the same time every night and try to get in bed at the same time too. Even if it's just to read or watch youtube videos. Anything to get me in bed and relaxing. I still can sleep a good 11 hours and then have a 2-3 hour nap during the day. And still feel like poo poo, naturally. Having them at the same time did indeed suck. It'd take me forever to get to sleep, and then when I did I'd sleep a long rear end time and still be tired. Then even though I was tired I couldn't get to sleep.

I used to be on Ambien but that didn't work so well. I'm on Prazosin now for nightmares but that doesn't work as much. I'll take anything I can get though.

It's gotten much better. My whole problem now is getting to sleep and staying asleep. I literally wake up 20+ times a night. So my sleep pattern is just hosed. That's probably why I sleep so long. Because I don't get good deep sleep. I dream CONSTANTLY. I know I'm falling asleep when my thoughts start getting random. Then I recognize that and it wakes me up. Then I try to relax again, my mind wanders, and I fall asleep right into a dream. And that continues until I wake up at whatever hour.

I'm really trying to work at least on my sleep and wake times. That's all I have control over.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 16, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Nighty night!

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 16, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have Freddy nightmares sometimes. I saw part of a movie when I was 4 and freaked out and slept with my light on until I was 13. When I have a Freddy dream, now... in my 30s... I still wake up scared.

I had sleep paralysis once that I remember. I was in a mental hospital (for real) and I was laying in my bed and Freddy's hand came from under my bed and grabbed my neck. Just laying there pinned down. I just said "wh..who...who are you?" And then poof I was awake. But I felt awake the whole time. And everything in the room was the same. The door cracked, nurses walking around, everything. loving scared the absolute poo poo out of me.

I can lucid dream sometimes but it's rare. Maybe once every month or two. I love being spiderman swinging from suburban trees or being able to fly or at least leap 100 yards.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 16, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I still have high school dreams. Just grades slipping and not turning stuff in on time. Normal poo poo.

Sleep is a huge part of my life since I'm awake or aware of it during a lot of my "sleep". :haw: I recognize that I'm sleeping all the time in my dreams. It sucks in a nightmare and I want to get out I can feel myself trying to pull my eyelids open but to no avail.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

mind the walrus posted:

Sleeping used to be the best but getting old means now I'm both a habitual side-sleeper and I constantly sleep on my nerves causing numbness and pain, acting similarly to apnea so I rarely get deep sleep. I got one of those metal braces for my arms to keep it straight and woke up with it bent. Makes me wish for Zero-G sleep.

Yep. I'm a side/stomach sleeper and my arms go numb a few times during the night.

I also have a dental mouthpiece to prevent me from biting my tongue and cheeks. I rarely use it but I bit my cheeks drawing blood a few days ago and now I have a sore on either side of my mouth so I'm wearing it now.

You guys should see how I look at night. A loving mouthpiece, CPAP mask, a skull cap hat to prevent the tight straps of my mask loving up my hair for the rest of the day, and I just got one of those sleep mask things since I'm tired of the sun shining through my East facing window at 6am preventing me from getting back to sleep. I probably look like a film student's movie cyborg.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

low key sex master posted:

Yeah I hear she calls it "boredom"

:boom:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bloodysabbath posted:

- Melatonin 10mgx2, or hydroxyzine 10mg.

:stare: That's a shitload of melatonin. I take 5mg with my hosed up brain and that's after I moved up from 1mg and then 3mgs. After like, 10mgs it doesn't really do anything but make you tired the next day. And 10 is a whole lot.

I've taken hydroxyzine and trazadone in the past. I don't take hydroxyzine anymore since it didn't do anything. Trazadone gave me a super bad sleep hangover the next day that took hours to get over and finally wake up. Also I tried to OD on it so they won't prescribe it anymore. Now I take either benadryl or doxylamine. Both OTC. Neither does a whole lot but sometimes they magically get me a bit drowsy so sometimes I still take them early if I'm feeling a bit wired before bed.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 16, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Sleep is one of those things I wish I didn’t need to do, or could do forever.

It’s the switching back and forth that pisses me off

Absolutely.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hmmm. Never thought about using wrist braces. I also curl my wrists at a crazy angle. I just picked up some rollerblading pads. Maybe I could try out the wrist pads lol.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I get my CPAP tube wrapped around my neck numerous times nightly.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Schweinhund posted:

Have you tried accepting Jesus into your life? Or Satan if that doesn't work.

poo poo. I should get on that. I'll start with the red guy first.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Two nights ago and last night I slept for almost 4 hours straight. I woke up like 5 times in those 4 hours which is nothing. I wake up a lot but only check the clock when I get frustrated. Last night I fell asleep at 12am and checked the clock when it was 4 something.

Amazing. I have no idea what's going on.

I'm having Sleepytime Tea right now. :3:

I love that bear.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chinatown posted:

bro get the Sleepytime Extra that has Valerian Root in it

sleep so good youre almost dead

Oh I've had that before. I'll look for it again. I have one more cup of tea left (I use 2-3 bags each time for a 16oz mug) so I'll get that soon.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Derpies posted:

Pennywise ain’t about the tug lyfe he is a bag Lyfe

Oh poo poo. I always be tuggin'.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I talked to my new psychiatrist for the 2nd time a few days ago and he's putting me on trazadone. 50mg gave me the worst sleep hangover and I'm useless the next day but it's been a long time since I've had it so we're going to try again at 25mg. He said it should help me to stay asleep. If that doesn't work we go up on Prazosin, and if that doesn't work we'll get another sleep study to see if I have a REM disorder.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

trazadone is good but it will give you a sleep hangover. At this point I’m completely dependent upon it - if I miss a dose I can’t maintain a deep sleep and end up so exhausted the next day that I shake

Did the hangover ever subside over time or is it just as bad as when you started?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Play posted:

Zolpidem Tartrate (ambien) is the only sleep medication I've ever appreciated / needed. I think because it works by actually 'hypnotizing' your brain into a sleep state, not making you tired like many of them do. The rest absolutely kill me the next day to the point that it doesn't even make sense to use them, including common over the counter stuff.

I was on Ambien for a while when I had bad insomnia. I didn't know how it worked so I'd take it and expect it to make me tired. It didn't work for quite a while until one time I took it while playing a computer game and "woke up" after like an hour or so of playing it having no memory of what just happened. I just remember my vision fading back in and and being like "wtf, where.. what... what's going on?"

Ambien doesn't help you stay asleep though. It has a short half life and is only used to get you to sleep initially.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

e: being able to lucid dream would be dope tho, i've always wanted to practice doing that

I'm not a fan of lucid dreaming because when I can do that it means I'm deep in a super realistic dream and I hate those.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just talked to my mental health nurse today to report how the trazadone was going which she reported to my psychiatrist. I told her it wasn't bad. I'm a bit sleepy the next morning but I can still wake up with an alarm. I reported that if I'm asleep, I'm dreaming, non-stop. And still waking up 20 times a night.

I got a phone call a few minutes later from the sleep clinic to schedule a new study on the 24th. I think my psychiatrist wants to see if I have a REM disorder. I didn't know those were a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I don't sweat at night.