Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Welcome to the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta 2021 thread! In its ninth year running, this thread will be the SA headquarters for the Four Job Fiesta, equal parts to keep us from taking over the FF Megathread as well as a single point of action for trading tricks and trips, cursing Gilgabot's lack of mercy, or whatever Fiesta-related discussion you may want. Much like the years before, we hope to bring lots of victories, lots of donations, and lots of berserkers from the Berserker Tree!

Quick Links: Goon Discord, Official Website, Official Blog, Official Subreddit (yes, yes, I know, but it's official)

So Kyrosiris, what IS the Four Job Fiesta?

Every year, RevenantKioku and his trusty sidekick Gilgabot (or maybe it's the other way around?) organize the Fiesta as a charity drive for Child's Play and as a gathering for all FFV fans to celebrate the game. Mechanically, the Fiesta challenges you to play through Final Fantasy V using just one job from each Crystal. Hard Mode ups the ante, allowing Gilgabot to pull from past Crystals - you can, for example, get another White Mage from the Fire Crystal, or a Berserker from the Earth Crystal! In 2012, the Berserker Risk option was added as a way to pump up the difficulty even more - for every $10 raised prior to the Fiesta's start, every Berserker Risk participant was assigned a mandatory Berserker! Enough was raised to stick every participant at Risk with at least one Berserker, and SA member Rosalie_A ended up with what was considered the nastiest team of the Fiesta - a Knight and THREE Berserkers! 2013 renamed Hard Mode to "Random Mode" which is honestly more accurate, and added the new Team 750/No-750 and Natural modes, adding extra fun and challenge. 2015 upped the stakes and added the much-beloved Chaos Mode, which was what we all wanted from Random all along - any job is possible from any crystal, and duplicates are possible, leading to a handful of Chaos Riskers ending up with :black101: FOUR. :black101: FREAKING. :black101: BERSERKERS. :black101: (RIP Everhate, The Chosen One) 2016 graced us with Pure Chaos, which is Chaos without repeats and with Mime and Freelancer in the character pool. 2018 gave us the interesting and GBA-only Forbidden mode - at the cost of permanently losing one of your other three jobs, you can earn the right to use one of the GBA-only jobs - Oracle, Gladiator, or Cannoneer! 2019 gave us Fifth Job - Krile is her own character! Why shouldn't she get a job? She takes Galuf's job and dunks it in the trash (you can't use ANY of its abilities or passives!) and brings her own! Hope you weren't attached to that Geomancer, she's a Berserker now!

While the challenge is not one regularly "recommended" for those new to Final Fantasy V, there have been several goons who challenged the Fiesta as their first playthrough of the game and triumphed! That said, the challenge will definitely require a bit more aptitude and awareness of the game's mechanics and neat combos than a game where you plow through everything with !X-Fight, !X-Magic, and other powerful combos (that is, unless Gilgabot is merciful and gives you those combos). It goes a long way to help snap the decision paralysis that plagues a lot of first-time players of FFV, though.

Well, I've never played FFV before. Should I try anyways?

Absolutely! Like I said, lots of goons have earned their first victory in FFV through the Fiesta - either combinations of the restricted job access giving them real focus to finish the game, or getting advice from the litany of Fiesta veterans that haunt this thread and Discord, or for whatever reason. Plus, FFV is fun, and you're playing for charity (via either your donations or runs that you finish that trigger other people's pledges)!

How's this all work, then? What're the rules?

An example team would be mine from 2012 - I got Thief, Summoner, Ninja, and Samurai. From the Wind Crystal on, I had to have a full party of Thieves. Once I finished the Water Crystal, I got to choose a configuration of at least 1 Thief and at least 1 Summoner, and then the other two could be either Thieves or Summoners, with no limit aside from having at least one of each. The Fire crystal was the same - I had to field at least one Ninja, Summoner, and Thief at all times, and my fourth character could be what was best suited of my three job options. After the Earth Crystal, that was it - everyone was locked in. You can switch jobs around as is necessary, but you've gotta adhere to those guidelines. If you want your Ninja to learn some Summon Magic, that Summoner has to switch to being a Ninja too.

Note that for Natural and Chaos runs, you use Freelancers until you have obtained your assigned jobs. A Ranger/Samurai/Dragoon/Chemist Chaos run would use Freelancers until you get the Black Chocobo, and a White Mage/Time Mage/Bard/Chemist Natural run has Faris as a Freelancer until the same.

So who the hell is Gilgabot?

Gilgabot is the Twitter bot that does the backend paperwork of the Fiesta. You tweet keywords to him (@FF5ForFutures) at certain thresholds in your playthrough and he will do whatever those correspond to. For example, you can tweet "@FF5ForFutures #Water" to note that you've reached the Water Crystal. Gilgabot will then reply (maybe - he hit the daily tweet limit several times last year) with your Job assignment for that crystal. You can see a full list of his commands here. (link this to letsplaying's commands page when the site's back up)

Twitter? Ewww, I don't do that social media bullshit.

Tough. Don't blame Gilgabot, blame yourself or God. If you wanna Fiesta (at least officially - no one's stopping you from doing your own using random.org or similar), you gotta tweet. Worst case scenario, you make a throw-away account you use just for the Fiesta and then ignore it. Many goons do this every year.

:siren: NOTE THAT IF YOU HAVE A PROTECTED ACCOUNT, YOU WILL HAVE EXTREME DIFFICULTY FIESTA-ING OFFICIALLY. Consider making a throwaway account. :siren:

Help! Gilgabot gave me a shittacular job combo and $BOSS is kicking my rear end!

Relax. Rosalie got through the entire game and even the optional superboss Shinryu in 2012 with a Knight and three Berserkers. You can beat the focus of your ire too, with some strategy and tenacity. That said, we're not going to leave you in the lurch - lots of FFV pros participate in the Fiesta, and in 2012 we came up with a veritable compendium of knowledge, tactics, and advice (which got loving additions in 2013 and 2014, too!). You can find it here, but be aware it contains story and boss spoilers, as well as a significant amount of mechanical information for the game. Other resources include Alcharagia's Primer to FFV's Jobs, Sulla's Solo Single Class Challenges, Mega64's Resource Page, and the FFV Algorithm Guide (for SNES and GBA)! We'll all be prattling away on Discord!

:siren: Enkibot is also back and better than ever! :siren: It has moved here and now supports GBA jobs and Mime/Freelancer!!

Science is scary and I can't use !Mix, the most powerful ability in FFV! Help me!!!!

Relax. Learn the true power of :science: here. Don't glitch Exdeath! (especially since your victory won't count :lol:)

Alright, I'm in! What do I do?

Get on Twitter and send Gilgabot (@FF5ForFutures) a pre-registration tweet. This will look something like "@FF5ForFutures #regpurechaos #BERSERKERRISK". Then, just wait for the Fiesta to start!

What's New for 2021?

:iiam: (I'm out of clever predictions)

Trivia and Infographic Nonsense!

Every year, RevenantKioku puts out an infographic for the year's Fiesta, covering a lot of trivia and data, distribution of classes, stuff like that (as well as how fair and balanced Gilgabot was, which he always is). They're pretty neat, and are timg'd below - click the year (or expand the image, but they're really big) for big.

2011 Infographic:

2012 Infographic:

2013 Infographic:

(Thread) 2014 Infographic:

(Thread) 2015 Infographic:

(Thread) 2016 Infographic:

(Thread) 2017 Infographic:

(Thread) 2018 Infographic:

(Thread) 2019 Infographic:

(Thread)
2020 Infographic:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

High Quality Goon-Made Fiesta Fanart!

2014 Fanart

(by Bloodwulfe)

(also by Bloodwulfe)

(by Asiina)

(again, by Bloodwulfe)

(by Shoehead)

(yup, still Bloodwulfe)

(Bloodwulfe: still the best)

(THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE MEAN NOTHING TO A_Raving_Loon)

Can of Worms is rad as hell and has made multiple FFV Advance patches, including the source of the above gif.
Fiesta State Mod(no mechanical changes)
FFVA Balance Mod (actual mechanical changes)

2015 Fanart

Mega64 takes on the trials and tribulations of the Omnizerker.

(What's Flarnith's art doing here?!)

(neongrey needs to be sure you heard him correctly.)

2016 Fanart

(Asterism has to face some tough choices.)

(Koobes decided to correct Mid a bit.)

(Let's just call this a work by Edward_Tohr and move on with life)

2017 Fanart

(Mikl is having some problems with the weather.)

(Ablative assures me that, just like Ronka, it can only go up uP UP!!)

(Orange Fluffy Sheep demonstrates the value of Butzcoin. BUY IN NOW)

Ablative reminds us of that which we must sacrifice, because the numbers are infallible.)

(Bad Seafood has opinions on robots.)

2018 Fanart

(Aerdan lets us know what's up.)

(Orange Fluffy Sheep has important information that might SAVE YOUR LIFE.)

(Mega64 reminds us that the FBI is full of poo poo.)

(Archenetron is ready for suffering in The Run.)

(Obang Metho has relevant memes.)

2019 Fanart

(Admiral Joeslop pays homage to the King of All Superbosses)

(I fully admit I have no idea what FeyerbrandX was riffing here, but it's rad)

(Azza Bamboo pays off an interdimensional threat)

2020 Fanart

(noooooo vernatio can't just make a meme out of the final boss fight!!!!)

2021 Fanart

(Raitzeno has a present for you!)

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 11, 2021

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

(This post reserved for :toxx:es, as is tradition)

quote:

As standard, I, Kyrosiris, will toxx for my usual 10 cents a speed trap hit and 2 cents a rod snapped, up to a cumulative total of 100 dollars, to be donated at the end of the Fiesta.

girl dick energy posted:

:toxx:

Just like last year, I'm going to give $0.10 for every Fat Chocobo summoned. The command .chonk will count on Carbybot using the same syntax as the existing rod counter, so use that. Because times are tight right now, I'll probably be capping out at $10, but we'll see.

Fenrir posted:

Ohhhh, you're on. Soon as I get a summoner.

Also I'll be matching this toxx. All the chonks I summon myself will go above the cap.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I like big Bartz and I cannot lie.

Edit: Toxxes! This year I will probably just be doing the T-Rex toxx.

I will donate $5 for every kill of T-Rex in world two that DOES NOT use a Phoenix Down or similar item. Anything goes except something that would kill an undead outright. You can post a video, a screenshot, a tiktok, hell you don't have to do anything but post that you did it.

Limit will be $75.

Kyrosiris posted:

:siren: This is a :toxx: that will get you an exclusive role in the FJF discord :siren:

DID YOU KNOW: The Rune Chime is flagged as a Song-category attack!
DID YOU KNOW: Stompbot cannot evade music! (this is why you can stop lock him with bard)

CHALLENGE: Defeat Omega while your only source of damage is a Rune Chime.

You can use whatever supporting jobs you want. You may stop-lock. You may mix your Geomancer into godhood. No holds barred... but the only offense is the DING.

:20bux: to charity and a custom vanity title in the Discord of your choice to the winner!

completed here

Jose Valasquez posted:

Once again I'll be doing a 0 power chicken knife toxx. $10 up to a Max of $250 per run that uses a 0 power Chicken Knife on NED
Please provide a screenshot of the equipment screen and one of the wielder attacking NED

Dr. Bones posted:

You know what, gently caress it. As a :toxx:, for every QUADZERKER goon run, I'll throw a buck in for charity. Just post in here (or @ me in the discord) and let me know that you're doing the QUADZERKER challenge, so I can keep track. This, of course, only applies to completed runs (though I won't demand triple-crowning or anything extra. Just beat the game.)

e: For every optional superboss you beat, I'll add +1 dollar to the donation for your run. Triple-crown is three bucks for charity for your run! (I am not counting GBA extra-double-plus superbosses)

ultrafilter posted:

It's :toxx: time, but I'm going to do something different this year. Everyone loves quadzerks, but how about quad geomancers or quad red mages? I'll throw in $10 per regular job that someone does a quad run of, and $20 for Freelancer/Mime/Gladiator/Oracle/Cannoneer. Some of those runs will be pretty miserable, but it's for a good cause, and let's face it: thread regulars have done worse.

Osci posted:

I'm going to go with a similar :toxx: to last year.

$5 for anyone who makes it between the fire and earth crystal with a party of 4 bards, maxing out at $20.
Pictures of Adamantoise/Archeoavis dying would be nice, but is not strictly needed.

girl dick energy posted:

I just got killed by a Ghidra in the ten steps between Archie and the next cutscene. :cripes: In honor of this, and to do something productive with the experience...

:toxx: $1 every time someone wipes after a difficult boss but before they can save. Yes, the Void counts. Limit one per player. Max of $10.

Use your best judgment and the honor system for what counts as "difficult".

Galick posted:

Hi there! I'm the one making the Waddler rebalance and this is my first foray into game modding in general. I hope the people who choose to use the rebalance have fun with it, and if you find a bug or anything, please let me know!

Related :toxx:

$5 for every person who plays a Fiesta using my rebalance, up to a maximum of $100. I'll take your word on the honor system, but let me know what you think of it in general if you do!

Mustached Demon posted:

Then I got the :toxx: for you!

I'll donate $5 for every goon that finally finishes a run. Rules are simple: when you finish your run, link me your fiesta profile. If it has a single, unfinished run from last year then that's $5. Then another $5 for each year in a row of single, unfinished runs on up to $20. So if you've been signing up since 2017 but have not finished a single run then that's $20. Max contribution of $100.

Rosalie_A posted:

Alright thread. It's time to talk about overpowered abilities. You know the ones. They can make or break a run. You get three Thieves and despair and then roll a Samurai and go "lol guess I'm throwing money at everything".

But what if you didn't? There's jobs that have so much to offer that have stuff that never gets appreciated. Maybe it's time to take a new look at some of them, and cast your mind back to when you were young and didn't know about the internet letting you know what was really good or not.

Thus, here's my :toxx:: $1, up to $20, for any instance of the following, with a comment (your choice as to the length) on how you thought it changed the game:

-Samurai without using !Zeninage.
-Chemist without using !Mix.
-Ranger without using !Rapid Fire (the menu command. Hayate Bow is fine).
-Red Mage without using !Dualcast.
-A write-in of your choice where a defining or powerful ability for the job is left unused. I just mention those four above because you're not defaulting to a bad Freelancer if you hold back. I'll accept any good faith effort on this, in case you want to do a Bard without !Sing or something for whatever reason.

These do add up, if you wanted to do multiple in one run, but if you don't want to give up !Dualcast on your one Red Mage in a sea of money-hoarding Samurai I won't judge (but those three Samurai would each count).

Anyway, the intent here is to just appreciate other abilities on offer, with a slight incentive to do so. Having done all of those myself, I think you'll be surprised as what you find when you take the power off the table (hint: Chemist? Still busted).

Ace Transmuter posted:

So, after years of the Matrix version genuinely being the easiest to play, my friend bought me an old DS and the FFVA cart, so I'll be returning to the best version.

Still, I enjoyed the Matrix version more than I thought I would, and it was a genuine joy to discover new possibilities in such an otherwise week-documented game.

So here's my :toxx:

:toxx:I'll be donating $5 for every goon who posts a victory from the Matrix version (mobile or steam), up to a total if $50. :toxx:

FeyerbrandX posted:

So I finally came up with an idea for a :toxx:

I want new people to suffer for whenever I decide to make "art"

So I want you guys to encourage someone to play. Heck, even just get them to pre-register so that I can water the tree first.

1 buck per player who shows me a clean player page with 0's all the way down. Let's say a limit of 50. (as of 6-3, 10/50 takers, donated first batch for toxx on 6/4)

But wait, there's more!

10 bucks per new player who clears NED. Limit $250 (they don't need to be in the original 50, just someone who has a clear player page but a star on their 2021 run.)

nrook posted:

Legendary Weapon Charity Sale!

In order to raise money for charity, let's all sell the legendary weapons! I'll be donating $0.10 for each of the 12 legendary weapons sold.

I'm sure Omniscient will be glad for the extra company.

DalaranJ posted:

Last year, I asked you to commit The Perfect Crime. This year, I need you to Attack and Dethrone God(s).
In any run that does not at any time use the Summoner class, collect all the spells in the Summon menu.
Please show, a screenshot of your party's classes, and one of the filled summon menu.
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1402391976125796354

Doom Goon posted:

OMG.

Oh, before I forget, I'm doing the GBA Randomizer :toxx: again, same as last time:
Mild runs only. $1.10 per goon up to 20 for every goon that completes a run to the end (must complete a standard run first) using Can Of Worms's Final Fantasy V Advance Randomizer. Make sure to emptyquote this post on a win so I can see it! Oh, and please don't use the FFV4JF site (probably not cool crowning on impossible runs). It's up to you if you want to spoil the Jobs you get or not but I'd recommend it to reduce grinding and magic level confusion. Also, I'll probably wait until next year to actually donate so I can kill two birds with one stone and water that tree.
:siren:Also, make sure you use the clean unpatched Final Fantasy V Advance US ROM (CRC32 7A24AB0C)! You'll get game-breaking errors with the EU version or patched ROMs that change job stuff.

DalaranJ posted:

Okay, here's a more radical :toxx: that I'm going to add on top of my last one.
Number Go Up
Recommended: Thief, but not Samurai
Complete the game without spending any money (which includes using !cointoss).

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1402681856152248324

Aerdan posted:

https://twitter.com/aerdan/status/1402644546073288705

Adding a :toxx: for Exdeath's NED replacer feature. The floor's still open for submissions for that, by the way.

StrangeAeon posted:

yes

YES

:toxx: We Choose Violence
I pledge $1 for every FULL POWER BRAVE BLADE posted to the thread. Limit of $100

Koobes posted:

This is Lenna, Princess of Tycoon. She loves animals, and is one of our 4 party members. She also likes to get poisoned for reasons unknown to even us.

for every boss beaten while Lenna is poisoned, I'll donate $0.10, up to a max of $100. How she gets poisoned is up to you.

nrook posted:

Last minute toxx:

I'll donate $30 for everyone who, in their first run of this Fiesta, finishes the game faster than the winner of the Run.

I'll count up to 30 runs, although honestly I wouldn't be surprised if nobody does this; it sounds hard!

No job fair allowed, but any ruleset is fine. Game time, but please don't reload previous saves to get free time, and if you wipe, record or estimate the amount of time you "wasted" and count it. You must defeat NED.

Shyfted One posted:

:toxx: $1 for each unique (not default or even Cactuar since that's become common) NED sprite submitted for victory. This is per each replacement option per person. So I'll only accept 1 Neo X Death, Yiazmat, etc victory shot per person. I want to see a variety! Max of $75?

Arrrthritis posted:

Got a couple of Toxxes this year for the people who are interested!

I'll be donating $2 for every boss that's defeated with the power of !Gaia. Just for the hell of it, i'll make it $6 every time someone beats Omniscient with Gaia as well. Screenshot/Gif of the boss getting destroyed is all the proof I'll need.
Toxx cap: $100

For NED, I'll be donating $2 for every downed party member when Neo Ex-Death is defeated. (i.e. if Butz is the only party member standing when NED is defeated, I'll donate $6. Or if you have two members standing I'll donate $4, or $2 if you have three party members standing).
Toxx cap: $100

Hellioning posted:

gently caress the chicken knife.

But also gently caress the brave blade.

10 dollars for each person (up to 5) who gets a max power brave blade (or zero power chicken knife I suppose) and then !Throws it at either the gargoyles in front of the Pyramid or Melusine.

30.5 Days posted:

I don't know anything about final fantasy v, so I need to know what makes the BEST TEAM. For everyone telling me why their team is the BEST, I will donate $10, up to $250. To be clear, I know absolutely nothing about final fantasy V, and we are operating on the honor system, so definitely don't make anything up to get kids the surgery they need!

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 18, 2021

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
:black101: BERSERKER RISK RIDE OR DIE :black101:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
GROUND FLOOOOOOR

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Finally, the stars align and I am released from the LP subforum lurking to lurk here

*kicks the evidence that I've already escaped the forum for SaGa talk under the bed*

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I killed an elephant with bards last year and it was surely a thing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just like last year, I'm going to give $0.10 for every Fat Chocobo summoned. The command .chonk will count on Carbybot using the same syntax as the existing rod counter, so use that. Because times are tight right now, I'll probably be capping out at $10, but we'll see.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

I'm gonna post this every year until it makes it into the fanart section and you can't stop me.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

.purechaos+void

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Oh hell yes let's loving GO

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Unreal_One posted:

.purechaos+void

Wind Job: Berserker
Water Job: Mime
Fire Job: Freelancer
Earth Job: Thief

Lost to the void: Thief

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Hopefully this year I will finish a run instead of what happened in 2020, stalling out and replaying Trails games for achievements instead.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Yo, I heard there was a staff in the wind shrine.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm gonna post this every year until it makes it into the fanart section and you can't stop me.
:respek:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

girl dick energy posted:

Ohhhh, you're on. Soon as I get a summoner.

Also I'll be matching this toxx. All the chonks I summon myself will go above the cap.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I like big Bartz and I cannot lie.

Edit: Toxxes! This year I will probably just be doing the T-Rex toxx.

I will donate $5 for every kill of T-Rex in world two that DOES NOT use a Phoenix Down or similar item. Anything goes except something that would kill an undead outright. You can post a video, a screenshot, a tiktok, hell you don't have to do anything but post that you did it.

Limit will be $75.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 17, 2021

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

:siren: This is a :toxx: that will get you an exclusive role in the FJF discord :siren:

DID YOU KNOW: The Rune Chime is flagged as a Song-category attack!
DID YOU KNOW: Stompbot cannot evade music! (this is why you can stop lock him with bard)

CHALLENGE: Defeat Omega while your only source of damage is a Rune Chime.

You can use whatever supporting jobs you want. You may stop-lock. You may mix your Geomancer into godhood. No holds barred... but the only offense is the DING.

:20bux: to charity and a custom vanity title in the Discord of your choice to the winner!

Congratulations, Galick!

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 18, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh boy it's time for another year where I'll probably burn out before getting anything done :smith:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I will not let these abandoned fanarts from last year go unnoticed.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Help, my brain put two and two together and I couldn't stop myself:

Mega64 posted:

An excuse to post a thing I made a few months ago.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

I guess I'll dump my crimes that haven't been fully documented in the thread too.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

NGDBSS posted:

Hopefully this year I will finish a run instead of what happened in 2020, stalling out and replaying Trails games for achievements instead.

Don’t worry, I’m sure finishing your Fiesta run this year will be a pizza cake.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Well, since everybody else is posting their dumb memes from last year... *clears throat*

gently caress YOU, KARNAK!

IF YOU'RE DUMB ENOUGH TO BUY A NEW HAMMER THIS WEEKEND, YOU'RE A BIG ENOUGH SHMUCK TO COME TO BIG ROD HELL'S SHOP! BAD DEALS! RODS THAT BREAK DOWN! THIEVES! IF YOU THINK YOU'RE GONNA FIND A BARGAIN AT BIG ROD'S, YOU CAN KISS MY rear end!

IT'S OUR BELIEF THAT YOU'RE SUCH A STUPID MOTHERFUCKER, YOU'LL FALL FOR THIS BULLSHIT! GUARANTEED! IF YOU FIND A BETTER DEAL, SHOVE IT UP YOUR UGLY rear end! YOU HEARD US RIGHT, SHOVE IT UP YOUR UGLY rear end! BRING YOUR KNIGHT, BRING YOUR BERSERKER, BRING YOUR MONK! WE'LL gently caress HER! THAT'S RIGHT, WE'LL gently caress YOUR MONK!

BECAUSE AT BIG ROD HELL'S, YOU'RE hosed SIX WAYS FROM SUNDAY! TAKE A HIKE TO BIG ROD HELL'S, HOME OF CHALLENGE GEOMANCY! THAT'S RIGHT, CHALLENGE GEOMANCY! HOW DOES IT WORK?! IF YOU !GAIA SIX FEET IN THE AIR STRAIGHT UP AND NOT HAVE A WIZARD CAST RESET, YOU GET FLARE! DON'T WAIT, DON'T DELAY, DON'T TAKE MORE THAN TEN MINUTES! OR WE'LL RIP YOUR NUTS OFF, KUPO! ONLY AT BIG ROD HELL'S, THE ONLY DEALER THAT TELLS YOU TO gently caress OFF!

HURRY UP, rear end in a top hat! THIS EVENT ENDS THE MINUTE AFTER YOU LEAVE CASTLE KARNAK, AND IT BETTER NOT BLOW UP, OR YOU'RE A DEAD MOTHERFUCKER! GO TO HELL! BIG ROD HELL'S SHOP! KARNAK'S FILTHIEST, AND EXCLUSIVE HOME TO THE MEANEST SONS-OF-BITCHES ON PLANET R! GUARANTEED!

(I wrote a lot of this but a few lines were from other people on the Discord, and I can't seem to find where I credit their contributions, but whoever they are, they are awesome)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I completed two runs last year. Let's see if I can't get at least three this time.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I managed to make up for four years of stalling out (after only one year of a successful run, lmao) with two triple crowns last year so maybe this year I can pull at least one of those off again.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Oh crap, is it that time of year again already.

Gonna be interesting to see what I can manage this year, but I'm playing way too many daily games at the moment, and at least one of them is going to be busy around this time. Gonna have to really rush the few runs I'll probably manage.

Dr. Bones
Nov 4, 2005

Private First Class in Blankman's Boot Camp of Goonery

If any goons get QUADZERKER this year, they MUST complete their runs

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

This year I got me one of them snazzy emu handhelds, an rg351v (see: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937810), and I can't tell you how eager I am to run down the work clock playing FF5 in the bathroom this summer.

Gonna play through the PSX version first this year, because I've never played through it before. Go team Y-Burns!

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 17, 2021

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Once again I'll be doing a 0 power chicken knife toxx. $10 up to a Max of $250 per run that uses a 0 power Chicken Knife on NED
Please provide a screenshot of the equipment screen and one of the wielder attacking NED

Completed: Red Metal, Serene Dragon, Galick, MagusDraco, Modoh, TheWonderTrickster, Vernatio, Doom Goon x4, Spelling Mitsake, Orange Fluffy Sheep

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 13, 2021

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
EDIT: I don't plan on doing a Sealed Temple toxx. That dungeon is obnoxious even with Time/Mystic/Bard/Cannoneer.

My first run of 2021 will be Random + Fifth Job on RPGE.

CourtlyHades296 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 17, 2021

Dr. Bones
Nov 4, 2005

Dr. Bones posted:

If any goons get QUADZERKER this year, they MUST complete their runs

You know what, gently caress it. As a :toxx:, for every QUADZERKER goon run, I'll throw a buck in for charity. Just post in here (or @ me in the discord) and let me know that you're doing the QUADZERKER challenge, so I can keep track. This, of course, only applies to completed runs (though I won't demand triple-crowning or anything extra. Just beat the game.)

e: For every optional superboss you beat, I'll add +1 dollar to the donation for your run. Triple-crown is three bucks for charity for your run! (I am not counting GBA extra-double-plus superbosses)

Dr. Bones fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 17, 2021

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
It's like I'm home again :allears:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm sure we'll have another write up of why Sealed Temple is bad this year, but until then:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Dr. Bones posted:

Shinryu is doable, but you can't beat Omega with quadzerkers

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
You can, the probability is just incomprehensibly low. A Rune Axe has a 1/200 chance of hitting, quarter's Omega's defense, and might roll above that!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You can, the probability is just incomprehensibly low. A Rune Axe has a 1/200 chance of hitting, quarter's Omega's defense, and might roll above that!

I thought about adding that caveat, but I don't think anyone will actually ever beat Omega with quadzerkers before the heat death of the universe without cheating.

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
While I'm waiting for the fiesta to start, I'm doing the Sealed Temple with Time/Mystic/Bard/Cannoneer on my RegAdvance savefile from last year. Time Mage not only lets you damage Archeodemon, but lets you use Teleport to run from battles easily. Cannoneer can wipe random enemies with Combine and EXP Up makes grinding quicker. Bard deals 8x damage to undead and dragons with Apollo's Harp, and can sing you to max strength/level/magic during boss fights. Mystic Knight is the least useful class for the Temple with this team, but still deals lots of damage with Flare Spellblade. So far, Grand Aevis; Archeodemon and Omega Mk.II fell to this team, without using Romeo's Ballad on Omega Mk.II.

Dr. Bones
Nov 4, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

Shinryu is doable, but you can't beat Omega with quadzerkers

I know what I'm about. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Leraika posted:

I'm sure we'll have another write up of why Sealed Temple is bad this year, but until then:

this is all that needs saying anyway