Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Cattail Prophet posted:

So I'm stealing dragon fangs off of mini dragons, for Reasons.

The good news is, it's pretty easy to automate, so I can let it run while doing other things.

...Please send help.

Doom Goon posted:

I'm have before and am going to grind 99 Elixirs* without a good gimmick so I understand your pain well.
*without running, on hardware

It's time for the payoff to my shenanigans! :toot:

oldskool posted:

:toxx: $15 each for the first ten people to show me Level 15/20 wipes in the Library of the Ancients.

You never specified which world we had to do this in. :v:

I beat clapperclaw at 17, for an idea of how tight making this happen was. Luckily I knew I was getting chemist since the water crystal, so I had already prefarmed a bunch of turtle shells. I went overboard, of course; I ground out 50 dragon fangs and wound up using about 15 of them, all on Exdeath, and I likely could have gotten away with less than that if I had juiced up the monk more instead of holy breath spam.

...And only now does it occur to me that rather than subjecting myself to mini dragon hell, I could have just killed off everyone except Lenna at the end of each zombie dragon fight. Oh well, if nothing else I don't regret the corvette grind I had to do to facilitate the mini dragon grind; I would have been extremely AP starved for world 2 otherwise, to the point that even statue grinding to make up for it would have put me uncomfortably close to going over 20.

Also I definitely did it at 15 in world 1 too, but apparently the screenshots got eaten at some point? I can't find them, anyway.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cattail Prophet posted:

but apparently the screenshots got eaten at some point? I can't find them, anyway.
If you're using VBA, the screenshot count restarts every time you restart the emulator. So move all the old screenshots to a different folder whenever you restart the progream or they'll get overwritten.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!
3rd run in the books: Pure Chaos Upgrade: Ranger/Beastmaster/Dragoon/Summoner

I've never done an upgrade run before mainly because I would feel compelled to max out each job just in case before upgrading. Having 8x AP on though made that a lot quicker to pull off though so I gave it a shot. Getting Animals and Rapid Fire early on made most of World 1 a breeze, and Catch allowed for shenanigans on the bosses that wouldn't fall over easily to Rapid Fire. I was prepared for a no750 Rapid Fire beat down kind of team, and then all that went out the window when I topped things off with Summoner. Lance actually did a bit of work running off Summoner's magic power at the tail end of World 1 and the start of World 2, though once Gaia Gears showed up it couldn't keep up damage-wise. It was still a nice way to top off HP/MP in a pinch though and I left it on for most of the rest of the game since boosted Titan and later boosted Syldra did most of the work anyway, switching out for Catch if I really needed it and Calm for Omega (I think I used Control a bit too but I don't remember exactly anymore).

Aerdan posted:

https://twitter.com/aerdan/status/1402644546073288705

Adding a :toxx: for Exdeath's NED replacer feature. The floor's still open for submissions for that, by the way.

Shyfted One posted:

:toxx: $1 for each unique (not default or even Cactuar since that's become common) NED sprite submitted for victory. This is per each replacement option per person. So I'll only accept 1 Neo X Death, Yiazmat, etc victory shot per person. I want to see a variety! Max of $75?

Not sure if anyone's done a Doomtrain yet for these Toxxes but here you go!

I forgot to take a screen shot of selling the Brave Blade (was probably 0 power at the time) and I didn't even bother entering the sealed castle at all for weapons, but I did sell this:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Run 6 is done now

It was quite a slog, took a bunch of days off between steps and at the end just wanted it over with.

Forgot the magic lamp, made the decision to leave the Void after beating Calista Flockheart, saved and went to bed. Today loaded the save and immediately went back into the Void. Oops.

Before that forgot I had samurai and used all my spare cash to buy elixirs (I didn't need).

Ran out of cash on NED, had to beat him to death with rapid fire masamunes, yoichi bows and aerogas.

Didn't even fully hone the chicken knife it was that dull.

This 7th run will be a good conclusion to this fest.

White, Blue, Bard, Time.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Finally sat down and started this run up. Time to start blasting.

I'll probably just trip report any sticking areas/poisoned lennas in the end because something tells me world 1 isn't going to be a problem at all.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

There's a FF1 Four Job Fiesta from now until August 15 to celebrate the Pixel remaster release
http://fourjobfiesta.com/ff1fcc/

:toxx: $10 for every clear. The other toxxes are slowing down so I'll roll that money into this and say my max total combined toxx payout for all toxxes will be $500

Completions: Serene Dragon, Galick, Matcha Zed, Modoh, DalaranJ, Shaezerus, Doom Goon, Mandoric

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 13, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Jose Valasquez posted:

There's a FF1 Four Job Fiesta from now until August 15 to celebrate the Pixel remaster release

:toxx: $10 for every clear. The other toxxes are slowing down so I'll roll that money into this and say my max total combined toxx payout for all toxxes will be $500

I need a rom patch that let's you change classes in FF1.

I'll definitely do this if I have time.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Having dipped my toes in the Pixel Remasters yet, but I'll fire up the PSP version. Especially since Gilgy decided to give me one of the most bogstandard parties imaginable (Fighter, Monk, White Mage, Red Mage)

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Honestly... the pixel remasters are more or less fine??? If they changed the in-game text, to the text that pops up in battle for damage/hits/status effects, there really wouldn't be any complaints?

Maybe let me remove the mini-map from the overworld?

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Jose Valasquez posted:

Oh nice, well here's one. I did a PSP speedrun with my team.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Serene Dragon posted:

Oh nice, well here's one. I did a PSP speedrun with my team.

Nice, just finished mine too

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Jose Valasquez posted:

Completions: Serene Dragon

Oh cool, here's mine too:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Run 3: Monk/Chemist/Mystic Knight/Thief

A nice easy run, but I was disappointed to learn that elemental power doesn't do anything for spellblades.

nrook posted:

:toxx:

Legendary Weapon Charity Sale!

In order to raise money for charity, let's all sell the legendary weapons! I'll be donating $0.10 for each of the 12 legendary weapons sold.

I'm sure Omniscient will be glad for the extra company.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Ok I'll do it

:toxx: $0.20 for every combined party level under 100 when killing NED, so if your party levels are 25/25/25/24 I'll donate $0.20. If your levels are 1/1/1/1 I'll donate $19.20

In addition, for Omega and Shinryu kills I'll donate an extra $0.10 per level under 100 for each fight.

I'll set a $200 limit just in case y'all go wild on me

I easily could've just stayed at 20 on everyone, but unfortunately I'm addicted to opening chests.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ultrafilter posted:

It's :toxx: time, but I'm going to do something different this year. Everyone loves quadzerks, but how about quad geomancers or quad red mages? I'll throw in $10 per regular job that someone does a quad run of, and $20 for Freelancer/Mime/Gladiator/Oracle/Cannoneer. Some of those runs will be pretty miserable, but it's for a good cause, and let's face it: thread regulars have done worse.

e: No balance patches or randomizers, please. The point of this is to have the vanilla experience.

Final reminder for this one. Berserker, Freelancer, Necromancer and Samurai have all been done, but everything else is open.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

Last year, I asked you to commit The Perfect Crime. This year, I need you to Attack and Dethrone God(s).
In any run that does not at any time use the Summoner class, collect all the spells in the Summon menu.
Please show, a screenshot of your party's classes, and one of the filled summon menu.
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1402391976125796354

Figured I was going to get meteor might as well just do all the summons as well

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Jose Valasquez posted:

Completions: Serene Dragon, Galick

I killed Chaos. The Mystic Quest font mod is good.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

Got a couple of Toxxes this year for the people who are interested!

I'll be donating $2 for every boss that's defeated with the power of !Gaia. Just for the hell of it, i'll make it $6 every time someone beats Omniscient with Gaia as well. Screenshot/Gif of the boss getting destroyed is all the proof I'll need.
Toxx cap: $100

For NED, I'll be donating $2 for every downed party member when Neo Ex-Death is defeated. (i.e. if Butz is the only party member standing when NED is defeated, I'll donate $6. Or if you have two members standing I'll donate $4, or $2 if you have three party members standing).
Toxx cap: $100

So I uh didn't mean to do this toxx but in my hurry to rush down the algamest part because it was an instant wipe, I kiiiiiiinda killed the front part too without realising (I think my berserker had been smacking it into oblivion lmao) leaving one very, very angry bit with I think about 15k HP left lmao

I used !quick to throw both my ragnorak and the murasame (rare drop from twintania wooo) and then hope that my berserked Lenna got the kill when he blasted Krile and Faris into the dirt lmao

Edit: I'd also argue that petrified Bartz is dead here and so should count for donating, because the game treated him as if he was dead and only Lenna escaped the void on the dragon lol

Serene Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 3, 2021

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

Completions: Serene Dragon, Galick, Matcha Zed

Ran this on a QOL/Bugfix hack for the NES version since I'm not getting Pixel Remasters yet. Would've needed a lot more levels without Temper/Saber working, ended at 27/28.

Looks like every completion posted thus far has been on a different version of the game. Just need PSX and Wonderswan now...

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Run #3: Time Mage/Freelancer/Chemist/Black Mage

Another easy run. Ended up grabbing all the summons since i was already going to grab meteor though it’s not like I really needed it. Also means I grabbed all the legendary weapons and sold them but I couldn’t grab pictures since my camera was broken and I didn’t realize it. Having freelancer was fun but my poor chemist just felt kinda useless with it there.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Well I put this down for quite a while, but finally had time tonight to unlock my exciting new Fifth job. So I went from Samurai / Berserker / Chemist / Monk to... Samurai / Berserker / Chemist / Berserker :eng99:

I kind of want to job fair this, just because 2 Berserkers isn't really that interesting seeing as how I had to grind my way past Sandworm and Soul Cannon with 4 Berserkers already on this run, but I'm not sure what to take. Any suggestions?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

Well I put this down for quite a while, but finally had time tonight to unlock my exciting new Fifth job. So I went from Samurai / Berserker / Chemist / Monk to... Samurai / Berserker / Chemist / Berserker :eng99:

I kind of want to job fair this, just because 2 Berserkers isn't really that interesting seeing as how I had to grind my way past Sandworm and Soul Cannon with 4 Berserkers already on this run, but I'm not sure what to take. Any suggestions?

Black Mage or Mystic Knight would be solid choices to give you elemental coverages. Summoner as well, just with different field trips to pick up summons vs. spells (I am assuming you skipped these since, well, they were worthless to your team at the time)

That said, you have a Chemist, so you've already won no matter what you pick.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Is there a way to beat Prototypes in World 1 with Red Mage/Black Mage/Bard? I looked ahead and see that I'll have chemist, and it sounds like some Dark Matters might be a good idea. The game has been pretty easy using elemental magic, but Prototype is immune to my wiles.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Not really, also that team needs dark matters even less than most chemist teams.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

You get two free dark matters which is all you’ll ever need with chemist because there are two crystals that cast non-reflectable spells.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DalaranJ posted:

You get two free dark matters which is all you’ll ever need with chemist because there are two crystals that cast non-reflectable spells.

Well more specifically, you can use Resist Fire to absorb Firagas and Levisalve to immune Earth Shaker, but you can't mitigate Aqua Breath or Aeroga, so you Death Potion those.

The only reason you'd want more Dark Matter is if you want to Death Potion Gilgamesh on the Boat or Dragon Pod.

You could fight the Prototypes after you have Chemist and Mix if you really felt you needed the extra two units, but ehhhh. Especially with Black Mage, your Succubus Kisses should be doing disproportionate damage.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

On my previous run I used one of my dark matters for TNT in the solo Exdeath fight, because Galuf was the chemist at the time, I forgot to put the bone mail on him beforehand, and it was either that or use up far too many of my turtle shells on succ kiss spam.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Like anyone would resist making out with Exdeath if you're both alone.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

oldskool posted:

Black Mage or Mystic Knight would be solid choices to give you elemental coverages. Summoner as well, just with different field trips to pick up summons vs. spells (I am assuming you skipped these since, well, they were worthless to your team at the time)

That said, you have a Chemist, so you've already won no matter what you pick.

Thanks for the suggestions! I know I’ve already won with Chenistry backing up my Samurai, I just wanted something a little more interesting than 2 characters completely on auto.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mega64 posted:

I'm not a huge fan of all the tiny splinters.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Mega64 posted:

TBF I did still go for one or two before deciding it wasn't worth the hassle.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

girl dick energy posted:

I just got killed by a Ghidra in the ten steps between Archie and the next cutscene. :cripes: In honor of this, and to do something productive with the experience...

:toxx: $1 every time someone wipes after a difficult boss but before they can save. Yes, the Void counts. Limit one per player. Max of $10.

Use your best judgment and the honor system for what counts as "difficult".
I fell behind on the thread (and also my life), but I would be extremely surprised if this one hasn't been met yet.

We're up to 56 of 100 fat chocobos, keep those chonks coming!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

Completions: Serene Dragon, Galick, Matcha Zed, Modoh

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1423832902975070210

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
https://twitter.com/fargoretro/status/1423844174420381699

my only run of the fiesta this year complete. Had Black Mage, Red Mage, Bard and Chemist. I didn't find Chemist as easy as everyone claims it to be, but I guess YMMV. Rarely did the Turt+Kiss do more damage than just 2x bolt 3s.

I started to get antsy, so I skipped all the extra content in world three. I'll try and get thru a FF run, but I'm not sure what a generic run would get anyone. I didn't sell any legendary items, did not get all the summons, etc.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Jose Valasquez posted:

I have done the kill Chaos.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

Unfortunately I didn't realize that the PSP version was basically this one with another extra dungeon and different graphics or else I would've done that! I thought the game was okay (never played Final Fantasy 1 before as far as I can remember, I don't think I'd play it often again but maybe once every blue moon would be okay), but I kinda hated how little respect for the player's time the bonus stuff had, it was ridiculous I can't remember the last game I played that was that bad. Literal rooms where you have to step between slow moving villagers or do bad random fetch puzzles. And even normal dungeons were bad with fast forward. Also, not every enemy needs like max speed!

Oh, I'm also wondering if I should've just played the original version because I thought this modified version was pretty easy (especially once you get spell equipment). I never even wiped!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1424934189648932865

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Oh man, I never even considered how/that a FF2 fiesta might work. You could roll one or two types of weapons for each character to use, a color of magic, armor style (lol), who gets Ultima, etc. It might actually end up working out really well, now that I think about it!

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Oh man, I never even considered how/that a FF2 fiesta might work. You could roll one or two types of weapons for each character to use, a color of magic, armor style (lol), who gets Ultima, etc. It might actually end up working out really well, now that I think about it!

Ive been trying to think thru an FF8 randomizer since I think that game is pretty close to 5 in regard to locked out wackiness.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

My last several years of FF2 playthroughs have been self-imposed sorta-challenge runs of what I call the Faux Job Fiesta where I jank together a spell list for the four main characters that more or less emulates a Job's function from across the franchise (Paladin gets Swap to represent Cover, Dragoon has Drain/Osmose to substitute Lance, Dark Knight specializes in instant-death and drain spells but has to wear heavy armor and use axes, etc) which makes for some fun times in trying to see precisely which spells I need to focus on in order to massively break the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Heavy armor in FF2 is the stupidest poo poo because like, not only does it CRATER your evasion and spellcasting ability (which are the two most important things in the game really), it's not even better than light armor. Like not only is the light armor a tiny fraction of the price as well, but most of the comparable sets have almost or literally no defensive difference. You have to pay more for something objectively worse in every way :psyduck: