Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Whats the generally preferred setup/patches/whatever to run with? Theres a LOT of info floating around on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Im looking forward to this. The last time I played FFV was on the PSX collection it was a part of. Origins? Anthology?

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Just got my water crystal jobs.

Rolling Blue Mage and Mystic Knight so far.

I feel like not having 'real' magic is going to hurt a lot down the road.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Fire crystal threw me Bard.

Ive never used Bard.

I just roll with my original two jobs until I can actually get the Bard crystal, yeah?

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

I havent used Red Feast/Vampire so many times...ever.

Thank the Fiesta I *finally* got White Wind.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Ive hit a hard roadblock at Exdeath in his castle.

Im at 33 with my Mystic/Blue/Bard/Dragoon team and can hold my own until he farts out Earth Shaker. It hits for ~2500 and wipes my party.

I have no way of putting float on myself, nevermind if it gets dispelled, so do I just eat it or is there gear I can go hunt/grind for, or is it a matter of just grinding out levels to brute force my way through?

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Is there anything else to do with the Old strat outside of just hitting him with Lvl 2 Old?

I did that, and after a few rounds of combat he shakered me, wiping the party. Albeit the damage spread was closer to ~2100.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

Level 5 death

Without that Im pretty much boned then? Time to backtrack!

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah the absolute highest an Earth Shaker from W2 Exdeath can do is 540 damage. That's trivial for a party with Blue Mage unless your levels are in like... the single digits to low teens.

Whats bizarre is that I read this reply, loaded my save before the fight, and he dealt the damage you said he should.

So I loaded it back up, dumped Lv.2 Old on him, he Shakered, and it hit me for way bigger damage.

No idea what would cause the bump in damage.

I *did* wind up getting the kill though.

Opened with Lv.2 Old, then used Drain sword/white wind for healing with Aero 3 for damage. He never used Shaker and I was able to power through his first phase without issue.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Rosalie_A posted:

Are you using any other patches besides the translation? If so, do you happen to have a save file/save state from before this fight? I'm curious to figure out how this happened.

I should be able to get you a save state in the morning. Im running totally vanilla, minus the translation.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Heres a savestate in front of the unopened chest that triggers the Gilgamesh fight.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vph0h4rexx4563v/ff5.001/file

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Aerdan posted:

note that savestates are not compatible between emulators, which can include different versions of the same emulator, and architectures. savefiles are identical because they just store the SRAM contents, not emulator state.

That'd be the .srm file then, yeah?

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

That should be a winner

https://www.mediafire.com/file/phghqr4oytvno81/ff5.srm/file

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

girl dick energy posted:

And 2021's is now the Exdeath Underflow.

I am the 2021 Fiesta Bug Champion :v:

My team is back to streamrolling pretty much everything in W3. I *never* realized Bard and Blue were so useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Very first Fiesta run finished!

In all my time with FFV, the Bard, Blue, and Dragoon are classes I seldom ever used. Forget about being chained to them for the full game.

Lessons learned:

Bards are *stupid* useful. The Requiem song downright trivialized a few dungeons that I remember being VERY hard. Nevermind the stat booster songs.

Blue Mage is almost broken. The spells(for the most part) were piss easy to get, I think I only missed one. As a kid I never gave the level based spells a glance, what a buffoon I was.

Dragoon was okay I guess? Moreso after slapping !Blue on it.

I didnt screencap any toxx incentives, all I consciously did was sell off ten of the legendary weapons. I kept Apollo's Harp, and the Holy Lance.

Gray Stormy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 24, 2021