Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's time, but I'm going to do something different this year. Everyone loves quadzerks, but how about quad geomancers or quad red mages? I'll throw in $10 per regular job that someone does a quad run of, and $20 for Freelancer/Mime/Gladiator/Oracle/Cannoneer. Some of those runs will be pretty miserable, but it's for a good cause, and let's face it: thread regulars have done worse.

e: No balance patches or randomizers, please. The point of this is to have the vanilla experience.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I hope that someone else takes up the all jobs toxx, but I've gotten bored with it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Who fights random encounters?

How else are you going to grind your four Geomancers up to beat the bosses?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Someone's gonna have to do quad dancers for charity and I do not envy them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

People worry too much about the NED fight when assessing a team and not enough about getting there in the first place. I want to hear how your party's going to get past the Crystal Guardians and the first Exdeath fight.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 21, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Chaos/pure chaos + job fair.

e: to be clear, I don't particularly care whether it's an official run as long as you post the victory pics here. Your call as to whether it matters to you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Every day I dream I will get Freelancer (or Mime)/Ninja/Mystic Knight/Ranger in a Pure Chaos run.

It will never happen. But maybe one day...

girl dick energy posted:

There's always the job fair!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Cattail Prophet posted:

I got most of the pieces last year, only missing ninja. (And samurai is basically the same thing as ninja if you squint, right?)

No dual-wield.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

dracula vladdy AF posted:

Short version is that Ninja is all offense with amazing party synergy whereas Samurai is more defensive and arguably more versatile in terms of what it can do.

The four Ninja run is going to be considerably less awesome than the four Samurai run.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

You haven't lived until you've blasted down W2 Exdeath in 2-3 rounds by spewing money at him

You can do it in one round releasing Yellow Dragons.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://streamable.com/ampoye

Something horrible has gone wrong with the AP/XP/GP multipliers from exdeath 0.3.1!

Ship it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

I'm playing ffv for the first time and figured I'd ask in here,

What jobs / abilities do I want to give each member of party to be very overpowered?

Thanks

The most overpowered party within Fiesta rules is Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist. You'll need a guide to figure out all the exploits that team can do, but there's nothing you can't completely steamroll.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

oh no they nerfed !Kick

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

No berzerkerrisk? For shame.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If anyone's willing to spend some money on the job fair, the teams from my first all jobs summer were very good.
  1. Thief/Summoner/Beastmaster/Dragoon
  2. Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Chemist
  3. Knight/White Mage/Red Mage/Ninja
  4. Monk/Mystic Knight/Ranger/Samurai
  5. Blue Mage/Time Mage/Bard/Dancer

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think White Mage / Black Mage / Summoner / Ninja would be the most beginner-friendly team. All of your tools can be bought in stores except for summons (and hunting those down is a fun sidequest in its own right), you've got lots of synergies, the setup can easily handle every part of the game, and there's no complex mechanics involved. Just heal and buff your own guys while hurting the enemy, and you're good to go.

White Mage Garula though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Blue Mage can turn Garula into a blind toad.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Source

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Source

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Someone's already done that. You'll just have to mirror them if you want them on the left side of your overlay.

No Advance jobs though. How's Pollyanna going to see who's a Necromancer?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I always give each character the job from their crystal in the end. Keeps the decision-making easy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

FeyerbrandX posted:

I see the thread has been pinned now, hooray for not having to sometimes go back a couple pages to find if there were any updates over night

You don't use bookmarks?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I was hoping for Blue/Black/Berserker/Bard, and am now tempted to run it myself.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Dragoon works well in some parties and not in others.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You'd have to have Thieves for your Wind job, but getting past Carl Boss is going to be a bit of a challenge very grindy.

Maybe Thief/Summoner/Beastmaster/Chemist?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Cattail Prophet posted:

The only time no inns would really be an inconvenience is statue grinding pre-submarine, and even then you still have two free heals in Quelb you can ration out. Beyond that, I can probably count the number of inn stays I pay for on one hand just playing normally.

You should still farm tents just for use in dungeons, though.

You get a Wind Drake before the submarine. You're only limited between the first visit to Exdeath's castle and Drakenvale.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

It's time, but I'm going to do something different this year. Everyone loves quadzerks, but how about quad geomancers or quad red mages? I'll throw in $10 per regular job that someone does a quad run of, and $20 for Freelancer/Mime/Gladiator/Oracle/Cannoneer. Some of those runs will be pretty miserable, but it's for a good cause, and let's face it: thread regulars have done worse.

e: No balance patches or randomizers, please. The point of this is to have the vanilla experience.

I'm amending my toxx to rule out mods that significantly change the experience of working with any particular job.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It'd be a more realistic goal if you made it any runner rather than the winner.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/final-fantasy-pixel-remaster

Mega64 posted:

Yagamoth finished the run at 6:20. Congrats to him!

I think that's going to be a bit tough to beat.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

zzMisc posted:

Did I do this right?

Yes. Better than everyone else, in fact.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

I don't know anything about final fantasy v, so I need to know what makes the BEST TEAM. For everyone telling me why their team is the BEST, I will donate $10, up to $250. To be clear, I know absolutely nothing about final fantasy V, and we are operating on the honor system, so definitely don't make anything up to get kids the surgery they need!

Since you didn't specify what makes one team better than another, I had to guess at your intent, but I'm pretty sure that Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dragoon is what you want.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Anyone got some tips on killing the Liquid Flame with Thief / Berserker combo? This thing hits like a truck and I cant keep up with healing and outdamage its self heal at the same time.

Grind levels.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This is gonna be the answer for a lot of things in my future isn't it

Hellioning posted:

Assuming your fire job isn't something good, probably.

Depends on the earth job too, but yeah, Thief/Zerk is a rough start.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

Kinda new, only beat FFV once years ago.

We got monk as our first job. So, can we not do magic?

At least not until the Water crystal. After that it depends on your second job.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

There are a few jobs that just have no recourse whatsoever against the Sol Cannon. Geomancer's only form of offense is nulled. Weaker dagger-using classes (Thief, Dancer if it's unlocked early, Bard if your !Hide timing is bad) simply can't do enough damage.

Raw melee classes - especially berserker - can't win a damage race without healing, and White Mage has no offense and loses the battle of attrition, but pairing them up manages to cover the flaws there.

Every job can get through Sol Cannon if you grind enough.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

White Wind relies on the caster having a lot of HP. You can pretty much guarantee that by putting Blue on a Samurai, but then you can't use them for anything else.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It beats a lot of other jobs you could pair with a Monk.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The original Japanese name literally translates as "time-space mage", but that doesn't fit in the English display space.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Gray Stormy posted:

Fire crystal threw me Bard.

Ive never used Bard.

I just roll with my original two jobs until I can actually get the Bard crystal, yeah?

Yep. There are some missable songs, so either use a guide or explore very thoroughly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

subujun posted:

https://twitter.com/subujun/status/1405991570202038277

Four Berserkers completed, thank you for the wonderful manga Miura you will be sorely missed.

The concept of having to setup and outfit my team before any key battles and then setting them loose is cool, I just wish there wasn't so much HP or level gating due to how uncontrollable they land up. Playing the steam version has some wackiness to it as well (no Rune Axe fun with negative Magic) where they target from right to left (which makes Necrophobe interesting). Though it also means I can setup a hotkey script and literally turn it into an AFK game.

Biggest roadblocks: Liquid Flame, Exdeath (castle), Twintania and NED himself. The worm was front and center for all of my 'zerkers to clobber. Death Sickles stayed relevant the whole game and helped with grinding here and there. I appreciate the suggestions in the thread/discord, they really helped me out!

I'll probably go for another run later this month (750 so no berserkers...).

That's the first run that counts towards my toxx. Every other job is still open.