Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Give three of the Samurai Quick to cast and it’s basically Seven Samurai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Let me know if you can apply those possibilities to a solo Zerker for the GBA version. Only two people have ever won solo Zerker against NED, and both were on the SNES version using the Gaia Hammer and the underflow glitch. And of course both used a lot of manipulation and/or brute force to pull off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtXNPuTpja0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxqGEQ7jTiA

e: For the record, I couldn't even pull it off on my "Omnizerker" (i.e. Berserker with whatever secondary passive they wanted) run, I had to use another mod to "officially" do it for my LP run. Doing it on GBA version without secondary abilities may just be impossible since GBA can't make use of the underflow glitch.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 24, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Don't have a link now but it's a LUA script on Samurai Goroh's site. It's the same site the memory addresses are, for the record.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

New to the Fiesta, or FF5 in general? Don't know what all these weird commands are? I'll fill you in!

Best Modes for Beginners

Normal - Gives you a Wind job at the Wind Crystal, a Water job at the Water Crystal, Fire at Fire, and Earth and Earth.

It's the default for a reason! It gives a good mix of jobs, starting you off with simple jobs and building you up to more complex stuff. You'll likely have at least one reliable job, and there's plenty of job synergy to go around to make all your jobs feel useful!

Random - Gives you a Wind job at Wind Crystal, a Wind or Water job at Water Crystal, Wind or Water or Fire at Fire, and Wi or Wa or F or Earth at Earth.

This ends up being generally easier than Normal, as it gives a greater chance of rolling jobs that are both powerful and simple-to-use, like the various mage jobs or Knight. It does mean you might miss out on later jobs though, which can be fun as well to use.

Popular - Gives you a completely random job in each crystal, but weighted towards the results of popularity polls RK did several years ago.

Naturally, the most popular jobs are the most powerful. The downsides are a risk of duplicates (I think...?) and possibly having to wait awhile to use certain jobs if you don't roll anything usable at Wind or Water. Otherwise, should be simple enough.

--- Team 750 - A modifier you can add to Normal, Random, or Chaos. 750 refers to the cost of rods, so this limits the job pool to the ten mage-like jobs. Magic jobs are generally more powerful and versatile than physical jobs, and while there's plenty of awesome physical jobs that can kick rear end, you'll likely have an easier time doing 750. It's not necessary, and does exclude half the jobs in the game though. Plus a good mix of physical and magical jobs is never bad.

Good options for Players with a couple FF5 runs or Fiestas under their belt

Pure Chaos is no dupe jobs and includes Freelancer and Mime, which is sweet. This is my personal favorite.

Chaos is like reverse Random, biased toward later jobs, and also may have dupes. Nice for a change of pace, but the focus is on more difficult jobs.

Advance is basically Normal, but shuffles the jobs so that three of the jobs added in the GBA version are added to the Earth pool, even though you normally can't get them until the end of the game. Thus you'll be rolling three jobs for the majority of the game. Also not really usable for those playing the SNES or PS1 versions. Still nice if you want to play with those jobs, they're pretty unique!

--- Team No750 is the other modifier, more difficult than 750 but there's still some solid options in there. If you just want to stab things this is a good way to go!

--- Upgrade is a tricky one where you start with all four people in one job, then once you choose to upgrade, you switch to the next job and can no longer switch back to older jobs (though you can still use their abilities). It's a mode for people who love to gamble, as you may get some great abilities only to be stuck with Berserkers who can't use them! Or you might get Freelancer and destroy the end game. Who knows?

--- Fifth Job replaces the Earth job with a new one near the end of Act 2, making you abandon the Earth job. If you really want to play with as many jobs as possible, it's an option. Not my cup of tea, but some love it, and it's not really a bad option to have. A nice curveball if nothing else.

--- Forbidden randomly eliminates one of your jobs once you enter the final dungeon, meaning you can no longer use that job or its abilities. A nice challenging curveball if you want to live on the edge.

Don't use these modes

Natural makes each character stuck in one job without being able to mix-or-match abilities. This robs much of the fun of the fiesta, finding fun synergies between jobs and abilities. Things end up much duller when playing in this mode, so it's generally discouraged.

Classic is Natural but with just FF1 jobs. This is actually an improvement over plain Natural as you'll definitely have some jobs that can be self-sufficient, but otherwise it has the same flaws as Natural.

Wait and see

Winner. This ends up being the four jobs that are voted to be used for The Run. This may be a solid team, but is generally more difficult than anything. Hold off on this option for now, and maybe in general unless the winning jobs appeal to you.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Post screenshots in this thread of you fulfilling whatever toxxes you try to do. The people who made the toxxes will see it and donate accordingly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

nrook posted:

:toxx:

Legendary Weapon Charity Sale!

In order to raise money for charity, let's all sell the legendary weapons! I'll be donating $0.10 for each of the 12 legendary weapons sold.

I'm sure Omniscient will be glad for the extra company.

I'll post a video where I sell all twelve in the first run I get without Berserker or Freelancer (because no loving way would I ever sell the Rune Axe if I can use it).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Drag-on, Dragoon.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Yeah, some jobs like Geomancer, Bard, and Dragoon end up pretty limited and boring at points without other abilities to keep them relevant throughout the game. Natural is the one modifier I would not recommend under any circumstances.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I made this. :v:

*snip*

I'm proud of it, though I don't really know why. Takes anywhere from half a second to 1 second to update, but it's neat to see anyway.

Just, not entirely sure what else I want it to do...

That owns. Great work!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 12, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If Gilgabot hasn't replied, check the Players section of the site to see if your Twitter handle has been registered. (e: resolved but kept in reference for future new players)

Honestly, the only thing that really matters for pre-regging is Berserker Risk. If you're not bothering with that, there's no harm in doing it later.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm partial to BizHawk myself since it has some nice recording options and various other stuff, though it's kinda overkill for someone who just wants to enjoy the Fiesta.

The VBA forks are pretty good, I don't like native VBA just because there's audio desync whenever I record video for it, but otherwise any emulator should be fine for casual play and taking screenshots, including regular VBA. Just pick what you like.

Anyway, a friendly reminder that The Run starts in <30 minutes. Feel free to join us in Discord if you haven't, it's always a fun experience watching it with other FF5 fans!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Run has started!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Yagamoth finished the run at 6:20. Congrats to him!

Dragondarch and eLmaGus are currently doing Treedeath. Bowie...is a bit further behind.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Final times:

Yagamoth: 6:20:31
Dragondarch: 6:26:36
eLmaGus: 6:26:40

Four second difference between DD and Magus, wow.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

They're not the Matrix sprites because the men aren't all angry.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It'll start as soon as RK wakes up and starts it manually, whenever that may be. He lives in Japan so it might still be a couple of hours.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Geo, huh…?

This should be interesting.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Does that mean under the rug Omniscient is actually a giant hole?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Don't mind me, just rounding up the toxxes not currently in the OP. Let me know if I missed one, I only quickly skimmed the last ten or so pages!

nrook posted:

Legendary Weapon Charity Sale!

In order to raise money for charity, let's all sell the legendary weapons! I'll be donating $0.10 for each of the 12 legendary weapons sold.

I'm sure Omniscient will be glad for the extra company.

DalaranJ posted:

Last year, I asked you to commit The Perfect Crime. This year, I need you to Attack and Dethrone God(s).
In any run that does not at any time use the Summoner class, collect all the spells in the Summon menu.
Please show, a screenshot of your party's classes, and one of the filled summon menu.
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1402391976125796354

Doom Goon posted:

OMG.

Oh, before I forget, I'm doing the GBA Randomizer :toxx: again, same as last time:
Mild runs only. $1.10 per goon up to 20 for every goon that completes a run to the end (must complete a standard run first) using Can Of Worms's Final Fantasy V Advance Randomizer. Make sure to emptyquote this post on a win so I can see it! Oh, and please don't use the FFV4JF site (probably not cool crowning on impossible runs). It's up to you if you want to spoil the Jobs you get or not but I'd recommend it to reduce grinding and magic level confusion. Also, I'll probably wait until next year to actually donate so I can kill two birds with one stone and water that tree.
:siren:Also, make sure you use the clean unpatched Final Fantasy V Advance US ROM (CRC32 7A24AB0C)! You'll get game-breaking errors with the EU version or patched ROMs that change job stuff.

Aerdan posted:

https://twitter.com/aerdan/status/1402644546073288705

Adding a :toxx: for Exdeath's NED replacer feature. The floor's still open for submissions for that, by the way.

DalaranJ posted:

Okay, here's a more radical :toxx: that I'm going to add on top of my last one.
Number Go Up
Recommended: Thief, but not Samurai
Complete the game without spending any money (which includes using !cointoss).

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1402681856152248324

StrangeAeon posted:

yes

YES

:toxx: We Choose Violence
I pledge $1 for every FULL POWER BRAVE BLADE posted to the thread. Limit of $100

Koobes posted:

This is Lenna, Princess of Tycoon. She loves animals, and is one of our 4 party members. She also likes to get poisoned for reasons unknown to even us.

for every boss beaten while Lenna is poisoned, I'll donate $0.10, up to a max of $100. How she gets poisoned is up to you.

nrook posted:

Last minute toxx:

I'll donate $30 for everyone who, in their first run of this Fiesta, finishes the game faster than the winner of the Run.

I'll count up to 30 runs, although honestly I wouldn't be surprised if nobody does this; it sounds hard!

No job fair allowed, but any ruleset is fine. Game time, but please don't reload previous saves to get free time, and if you wipe, record or estimate the amount of time you "wasted" and count it. You must defeat NED.

Shyfted One posted:

:toxx: $1 for each unique (not default or even Cactuar since that's become common) NED sprite submitted for victory. This is per each replacement option per person. So I'll only accept 1 Neo X Death, Yiazmat, etc victory shot per person. I want to see a variety! Max of $75?

Arrrthritis posted:

Got a couple of Toxxes this year for the people who are interested!

I'll be donating $2 for every boss that's defeated with the power of !Gaia. Just for the hell of it, i'll make it $6 every time someone beats Omniscient with Gaia as well. Screenshot/Gif of the boss getting destroyed is all the proof I'll need.
Toxx cap: $100

For NED, I'll be donating $2 for every downed party member when Neo Ex-Death is defeated. (i.e. if Butz is the only party member standing when NED is defeated, I'll donate $6. Or if you have two members standing I'll donate $4, or $2 if you have three party members standing).

Hellioning posted:

gently caress the chicken knife.

But also gently caress the brave blade.

10 dollars for each person (up to 5) who gets a max power brave blade (or zero power chicken knife I suppose) and then !Throws it at either the gargoyles in front of the Pyramid or Melusine.

Mustached Demon posted:

In light of the FF: Origins trailer, I'll donate $1, up to $25, for every Buttz named CHAOS. Quote this post with a screenshot of CHAOS.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntQ-utIdWWE

30.5 Days posted:

I don't know anything about final fantasy v, so I need to know what makes the BEST TEAM. For everyone telling me why their team is the BEST, I will donate $10, up to $250. To be clear, I know absolutely nothing about final fantasy V, and we are operating on the honor system, so definitely don't make anything up to get kids the surgery they need!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just did the Ancient Library. Party so far is Geomancer/Berserker/Bard. It's been interesting!

I went ahead and unlocked Geomancer (and technically Bard) early. It made the early game a breeze, though Liquid Flame and Ifrit were a pain! I'm also working on the "spend no money" part, since this is a good team for that! The lack of healing items is not great, though at least I'll get Regen soon. I've burned almost everything on Liquid Flame.

Alright, time for toxxes.

Mustached Demon posted:

In light of the FF: Origins trailer, I'll donate $1, up to $25, for every Buttz named CHAOS. Quote this post with a screenshot of CHAOS.

Close enough. Besides, you're probably way past the toxx limit at this point anyway.

Arrrthritis posted:

I'll be donating $2 for every boss that's defeated with the power of !Gaia. Just for the hell of it, i'll make it $6 every time someone beats Omniscient with Gaia as well. Screenshot/Gif of the boss getting destroyed is all the proof I'll need.

Koobes posted:

for every boss beaten while Lenna is poisoned, I'll donate $0.10, up to a max of $100. How she gets poisoned is up to you.

Five Gaia kills so far in Karlabos, Siren, Magisa, Garula, and Byblos, though technically Byblos is the only one that should be doable so far. Liquid Flame and Ifrit pretty much ignore !Gaia's bullshit, and a Berserker sniped the kill on Iron Claw.

Also a free Poisoned Lenna for Magisa, of course.

girl dick energy posted:

I just got killed by a Ghidra in the ten steps between Archie and the next cutscene. :cripes: In honor of this, and to do something productive with the experience...

:toxx: $1 every time someone wipes after a difficult boss but before they can save. Yes, the Void counts. Limit one per player. Max of $10.

Use your best judgment and the honor system for what counts as "difficult".

I'm gonna count this because Ifrit was difficult for my party and took a few attempts. He does a lot of damage and I was too low on healing items to throw them to keep up, so I had to throw an Elixir on my Main Gauche user and pray. The first attempt I got a win, I died when backtracking to the library entrance, because of course I'm also Brave Blading (or Brave Knifing...?) this run on top of everything else. After the second win, I abused quicksaving to avoid random battles.

I'll be sure to try out a lot more toxxes! The "Kill Omega with Rune Chime" one is certainly on the table!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Final party is Geomancer/Berserker/Bard/Dancer. No Buy Run, currently Brave run (though now that I have Dancer I'm really tempted to embrace my inner cowardice...)

I did get another Gaia kill against Adamantoise, but I'll wait to collect a few more before I post the pic.

Without the ability to buy stuff, this run is tough, even with my relatively cheap party. The big problem is a lack of healing items, as a few fights made me eat through my stash, and even the last few fights had me use the occasional Elixir. It led to some interesting strategies.

* Sandworm had my main damage coming from a drat bell. I focused on keeping my Geomancers alive, and ultimately my bell-wielder finally got the kill, all alone.

* Soul Cannon involved my Bard using Mighty March and immediately Hiding while the rest of the party rushed the Launchers down. After the rest of the party inevitably died, then began the very fun tactic of Plink-N-Hide, where my turns would be Attack-Hide-Reveal. Slow, especially since I was only doing 120ish a hit, but it worked.

* Archy was fine at first with Wind Slash spam, but the damage added up, and by the final form things were looking rough. I threw an Elixir on my Berserker, and luckily she got some key blocks and evasions and was able to barely kill Archeoaevis.

This has been a surprisingly rough run, but it's nice to have a good challenge between my party and these toxxes! Still got the Meteor bosses to go, but World 1 has been a nice experience so far, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the game in time.

Particularly getting the Rune Axe...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

gatesealer posted:

Ok, i need to know, I got white mage as my wind job and time mage as my water job (I decided to check and see before getting there), how rough is this run going to be before i get my fire job?

I’ve done this before. Stop and Gravity will be surprisingly useful spells for this stretch, particularly for Karnak.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Holy chonk, that’s a lot of chonk.

As for Mystic Knight, they love exploiting elemental weaknesses and status vulnerabilities. The key thing with them is status effects will trigger as long as the actual attack hits, so they can bypass magic evasion. This is why they can laugh and petrify the Almagest part of NED while Black Mage and Summoner need many attempts to get a lucky petrification off (though they don’t really need it with their power). Plus Flare Sword ends up a great general-purpose spell on top of that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Time Mage is as cool as it sounds.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Honestly you shouldn’t need to break many rods in W1 with Red Mage, just equip your rod of choice and cast that element for boosted damage.

I would stock up 5-10 of each after you get the Earth jobs, as that’s when Red Mage starts to drop off, but that may depend on your other jobs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just the stat buffs from singing should be enough, you'll be running circles around NED by that point.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There’s plenty of fiesta time left, and plenty of people doing multiple runs, plus there’s always toxxes introduced mid-fiesta (though usually toxxes encouraging last-minute runs).

If you want to do the toxx don’t let that stop you.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Incoherence posted:

Blind playthrough complete. The gimmick Void bosses gave me more trouble than NED himself, although he did get me once with Grand Cross.

Congrats!

derra posted:

I think 16 or 17 is the lowest I did, but I was stubborn and always insisted on Triple Crowning, even on parties that had no right to TC (NIN, SAM x3 ugh).

Alive but have a kid and a FFXIV addiction now. Also nothing to play FFV on.

So how many runs have you done over the years? You were a TC machine in previous years.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Grinding for Hermes Sandals is a pain in the rear end, and I say this as someone that can handle the encounters at Phoenix Tower easily (Geo/Zerk/Bard/Dancer).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That is loving horrible to hear.

-----

Finally finished my first run.

Let's tally the toxxes.

Arrrthritis posted:

Got a couple of Toxxes this year for the people who are interested!

Mega64 posted:

Five Gaia kills so far in Karlabos, Siren, Magisa, Garula, and Byblos, though technically Byblos is the only one that should be doable so far. Liquid Flame and Ifrit pretty much ignore !Gaia's bullshit, and a Berserker sniped the kill on Iron Claw.

Final count: 8.

Red Metal posted:

You ever notice how some summons drop items that you have to use before you can summon them? I don't know why that is, but that doesn't mean I can't make a :toxx: out of it!
I pledge $3 for every summon item (Ramuh, Catoblepas, Golem) in your inventory at the end of the game, and an additional $5 per run if you have a Summoner in your party (max $150)

No Summoner. Was gonna go for the full Summon list toxx but figured I wasn't really feeling doing Istory, so I decided to go with this.

DalaranJ posted:

Okay, here's a more radical :toxx: that I'm going to add on top of my last one.
Number Go Up
Recommended: Thief, but not Samurai
Complete the game without spending any money (which includes using !cointoss).

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1402681856152248324

Aerdan posted:

https://twitter.com/aerdan/status/1402644546073288705

Adding a :toxx: for Exdeath's NED replacer feature. The floor's still open for submissions for that, by the way.

Trust me, I tried to do Shinryu, but it just wasn't happening with my L43 team. Omega and NED were simple enough with Bard.

Anyway, holy poo poo, I had one of the better job compositions to roll "No Buying Anything" with and it was still a pain in the rear end. Healing was limited as hell, so I had to basically blitz through battles the best I could, with occasional grinding sessions. Grinding for Hermes Sandals is a drat pain even when you can make the battles effortless. I had to grind for a second Coral Ring just for Shinryu attempts, which didn't work out anyway. I pulled it off, but I'll be happy to spend, spend, spend in my next run.

Whew. Not a bad run, but one I'm glad to be done with. It'll be a bit before my next run between my Gnosia LP and the Legend of Mana remaster, but glad to get at least one done!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The obvious answer is to job fair the Monk to a Ninja or Ranger.

Otherwise I think !Focus CK for MK is a good bet, MK’s pretty poor for damage without elemental weaknesses or Flare Blade, and CK will help a lot there.

The real question is what the gently caress is the Monk going to do?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

What a hell of a writeup, that owns. I'm glad my dumb little spreadsheet helped. :shobon:

Does Goblin flare actually one shot Magissa? I feel really stupid for not suggesting that if so. You'd have to pocket one through Ship Graveyard but that's not the worst thing...

Yep

e: Oh yeah didn't even notice but guess that's another Poisoned Lenna.

Drunk Nerds posted:

I think we might quit, y'all: Farming Lemures to get a ring to beat bosses in a tower to get spells we can't eeven use just to open up another place to get one single spell just isn't fun. Plus these lemures keep wiping the person who has a thief knife before they can even attack twice.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. It was a lot of fun for me and my sons until it wasn't

If you can just get one Reflect Ring, you should be able to solo Omniscient with just one character with Reflect. Omniscient cannot bypass Reflect, so you just use your Time Mage or whoever to cast Comet until Omniscient starts casting -aga spells (which will bounce onto him) and at that point you've won and can just kick back and wait.

Or skip it, you have Chemist and Monk, just have everyone punch NED to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wPKj7NKrwk

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 2, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There's also !Jump if you get the timing down (and !Hide but then you have Bard and thus should just buff up on Treedeath to run circles around NED).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You can Dualcast Spellsword.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Plus technically you can get Float by going to Drakenvale and confusing Poison Eagles with Alluring Air (or Dancing Dagger procs if you missed that song), but you shouldn't need it with the L2 Old strat.

Dragoon will also work great as an emergency healer with White Wind since she might dodge some attacks with !Jump. The rare time a job has synergy with Dragoon.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Your best options are to either backtrack to get Float from confusing Poison Eagles in Drakenvale (don't use a Tent or Cottage afterward or you'll lose it, also don't die), or keep trying. The first half of Exdeath's routine has ten different attack cycles before he loops back to the first one, and he only has a 2/3 chance of using Earth Shaker during the fifth attack.

I don't recall it doing that much though, I thought it was like high triple-digits or something.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Seems like some kind of weird glitch, then. It always feels like some new obscure glitch gets discovered during the fiesta.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You could pretty much skip the optional content of W3 with that team. You’d miss out on Flare, but you’ll deal more damage with rod-boosted -aga spells anyway. Only reason to do Fork Tower is for the Wonder Rod to Zerk Shinryu, and with two Zerkers playing the rezz game is a bit dicey, though doable.

I guess you may want to go to Great Sea Trench to buy axes or something too, but ehhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

redreader posted:

Thanks for the replies! I don't really care about beating everyone, just beating the game. What loadout should I aim for?

Once you get access to the legendary weapons Rune Axe is a must, after that is any two of the Magus Rod/Sasuke Katan/Assassin Dagger. Magus Rods combines all the rod boosts in one weapon and is thus nice convenience, Sasuke is a Ninja weapon with weapon block like the Main Gauche, and rear end Dagger can inflict instant death. Depends on whether you’re using the Twin Lance/Chicken Knife exploit, care about the rear end Dagger when you have Death Sickles, or don’t mind switching weapons on your Black Mage to boost different -aga spells (which shouldn’t matter anyway, I think the only Void boss with a weakness is Omega, and you’re better off skipping that fight anyway without insanely high levels).

Otherwise, hunt for Mirage Town once you have the ability to travel anywhere in the overworld in W3 and grab four (or three if you’re cheap, you can get a free pair in the final dungeon) Hermes Sandals. They’re expensive but very worth it. Maaaybe grab the Death and Osmose magic there too while you’re there. Get all that, whatever armor is the best, and the Magic Lamp and you’re set.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 14, 2021