Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Howdy folks, I've finally finished updating my Balance mod to 0.6 after an apparent 3 year break. Unfortunately, I couldn't add the really cool thing I was working on (because it's a pretty massive change to implement) but I did add some new stuff to make things interesting once again. You can find the changelog here, which details all the changes as well as links to the patch. The short highlights of the new changes in 0.6 are:

• Knights get an undispellable Protect status.
  • Mystic Knights get an undispellable Shell status.
  • A new skill for Dragoons, !DragonCall. It summons one of five possible dragons to fight. (Basically !Release with 5 monsters.)
  • Any mastered job will now allow you to equip 2 skills like Freelancer.

And if you've never played with this before, here's some highlights from the previous versions:

• Monks are now lean, mean, killing machines. They get innate Regen (which itself has also changed), !Time 3 in their skill tree, Spellblade OK Fists, and !Focus may occasionally be replaced with !Rapidfire (this will not remove the initial delay, but all 4 strikes will deal normal damage instead of halved damage.) On top of that, Counter now activates 80% of the time instead of 50%, so expect to see a lot of punching!
  • Thieves get innate Haste, and Artful Dodger will also give innate haste. Gotta go fast!
  • Red Mages have been hitting the books. Red and Dualcast now lets you cast Time3 natively, and they'll eventually learn White/Black/Time4 to let you become a true jack of all trades.
  • Berserkers are rowdy. Since you can't use any commands, Berserkers instead have 3 free skill slots like Mimes. On top of that, most physical commands will be executed by Berserkers if they have it equipped. Check the changelog to find out which ones are compatible!
  • Geomancers are now a heavy duty caster. They have the best magic stat of all the jobs, and they can equip Axes, Hammers and Heavy Armour (unfortunately, no shields!) Gaia also uses a different probability table, with an additional 2% chance of casting Shadowflare.
  • Bards get some better equipment. The Dream Harp has a modest drain effect, much like the Sylph summon (deals damage to one target, then heals the party by a proportional amount), and the Silver Harp will call on nature's allies (i.e. it will use !Animals,)
  • Dancing equipment now improves the chances of getting Sword Dance, with each piece of equipment replacing one of the non-Sword Dance dances. Wear the full set and Sword Dance will be guaranteed!
  • Beastmasters get two new cool whips. The Blitz Whip will cause them to !Release their captured monster 20% of the time, but unlike the command, the monster stays so you can keep whipping them out.The Chain Whip's damage output is not amazing, but will always !Rapidfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

To be honest, the name "Balance mod" is just something that got attached to the patch because it didn't originally have any name and people wanted some way to refer to it. The changes themselves are built on two fundamental principles:

First, the mod should be supplemental to the Fiesta experience, which means any strategy that works in vanilla should also work with the mod. As such the only real player nerf that's been applied is that Chemists have worse stats. Similarly there are no significant monster changes because I don't want people who play this mod to have to learn a bunch of new information.

The second principle, which is the motivation behind the development, is that the changes should make the worst aspects of the Fiesta less tedious, so I've been focusing on fixing up jobs that have clear weaknesses in a Fiesta setting and also adding more options for one-note jobs. Tweaking bosses so that they're less tedious is also part of this goal, although right now the only change on that end is that Byblos has its MP reduced since a lot of fiesta parties will need to run it out of MP as part of their strategies.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Natural is the one modifier I would not recommend under any circumstances.
I would recommend it with a skill randomizer :science: