Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Good to hear it. I've been on benzos before and thankfully got off them before my dose got high enough that I couldn't do a reasonable taper, but even at that low dose I had the fear put into me about withdrawal. That poo poo stinks and I hope it's just all of us being worrywarts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Wheeee posted:

this brings to mind a quote from The Grateful Dead’s American Beauty:

“What do you want me to do
To watch for you while you're sleeping?
Then please don't be surprised
When you find me dreaming too”

Phil Leach and Robert Hunter[/url]

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

https://twitter.com/TheLenRoman/status/1486078756813000707

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

These hypotheses are aligned with where my expectation for a UAP explanation will lean (if its not wholecloth black project cover op, which seems strained to me): native and multidimensional. An excellent article.

Im enjoying this guy's articles and always love alternative explanations for the Phenomenon that aren't little green men, but he does do a bit too much of the "quantum entanglement exists therefore anything could be true" stuff that really turns me off

he readily acknowledges he's in "woo woo" territory, no need to get defensive and appeal to ~quantum physics~ to try and force plausibility

just another of my ufo pet peeves

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Well like okay i get that woo absolutely abuses quantum poo poo to explain stuff poorly but at some level if it's like that, it must necessarily begin to approach understandable and known forces and yeah the stuff we learn about the really small world is probably some kind of window into what will emerge if interdimensionality is a thing here

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Riot Bimbo posted:

Well like okay i get that woo absolutely abuses quantum poo poo to explain stuff poorly but at some level if it's like that, it must necessarily begin to approach understandable and known forces and yeah the stuff we learn about the really small world is probably some kind of window into what will emerge if interdimensionality is a thing here

no doubt and quantum effects being involved in consciousness (responsible for perhaps) seems to be something gaining legitimacy in consciousness studies which is neat as hell. maybe the curled up calabai-yau dimensions are just all folded up inside our brains and that's how we contact the other side in string/membrane space

quote:

Quantum entanglement begs to differ. In the quantum world, B can happen before A. Actually, everything happens simultaneously, and we can only guess at probable states. While the majority of people still only engage with the macro level of being, everyone and everything rests in a world of quantum functions within which all else arises.

stuff like this though just annoys me because it's both really wrong and really boring lol

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

no doubt and quantum effects being involved in consciousness (responsible for perhaps) seems to be something gaining legitimacy in consciousness studies which is neat as hell. maybe the curled up calabai-yau dimensions are just all folded up inside our brains and that's how we contact the other side in string/membrane space

stuff like this though just annoys me because it's both really wrong and really boring lol

"I don't understand aliens and I don't understand quantum, therefore these must be the same thing."

You can sub in whatever you want for "aliens" and "quantum" and this is a surprisingly common sentiment.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

what the gently caress

why are the briefcases weird, is that some sort of video encoding artifact

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU35oCHGhJ0

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i wish gibbus would call me a witch
at most im the pestle lol

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
the day scientist can accurately explain all the woo and its mechanics is the day magic dies for real and the souls still trapped gets trapped forever, hell is made by explaining heaven

DO NOT EAT THE APPLE EVE YOU rear end in a top hat

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

fanfic insert posted:

aaaa you’re telling me this NOW??

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

woo pseudoscience mostly exploits the layman's science knowledge by using science terms people have heard of but don't understand. quantum entanglement, energy, relativity, molecular vibrations, etc are all real things you can measure in labs and experiments already but woo science describes them in some kind of epheremal sense like they exist out in the ether or something hand-wavey. a lot of it has nothing to "explain" because its made up

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

woo pseudoscience mostly exploits the layman's science knowledge by using science terms people have heard of but don't understand. quantum entanglement, energy, relativity, molecular vibrations, etc are all real things you can measure in labs and experiments already but woo science describes them in some kind of epheremal sense like they exist out in the ether or something hand-wavey. a lot of it has nothing to "explain" because its made up

yeah but they can sense the need in u (its p much universal at this point) and pair that with the dolla dolla and its d00med

snakeoil stocks are gonna fuckin boom and therell be this huge song n dance but its like all those bad songs about maybe this time but no? ok next time

i dimly remember a school of thpught saying we are all no better than Lowest Common Demoninator in any group and itd not for lack of smarts on your part, its that you will eithet br chopped off at the stem OR be such a useful idiot u are now called Elon.

it depressing on a big bummer level. if humanity is to be judged by its actions (which it should be) there are only so many ways to phrase "fuckin idiots" before you run out of excuses and treat us as a fuxkin virus

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

feeling maudlin sorry!

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Agreed, am mostly being woo-y to mess with the gbs crowd. I think if(/when) any of this is(/becomes) real it'll be explained using its own set of words and phrases that the science of it establishes over the course it takes, with its own history, like quantum entanglement etc.

Which is why I must insist that the thread use terms like "Westian confusion" to refer to blind guesses and such, as we do these experiments.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
personally i think there's no chance that goons are going to have a successful project that reveals remote viewing techniques or anything, just on the basis that someone else would have discovered it by now. If some goon can start landing real solid hits then this would surely mean that the PSIco Squad is already out there doing mind crimes for uncle sam and all kinds of wild rear end poo poo.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Log082 posted:

"I don't understand aliens and I don't understand quantum, therefore these must be the same thing."

You can sub in whatever you want for "aliens" and "quantum" and this is a surprisingly common sentiment.

People need to remember the word "quantum" refers to quantizing physics down at the lowest level. So if something can't be quantized it wouldn't fit being called "quantum" ie. calling consciousness a quantum effect doesn't work under this scrutiny.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

SniperWoreConverse posted:

personally i think there's no chance that goons are going to have a successful project that reveals remote viewing techniques or anything, just on the basis that someone else would have discovered it by now. If some goon can start landing real solid hits then this would surely mean that the PSIco Squad is already out there doing mind crimes for uncle sam and all kinds of wild rear end poo poo.

and we all know this isn’t the case because nobody has gone on cnn to talk about being part of UnvLe Sam’s Super PsychoPsychPsquad

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
dunno maybe it's a real conspiracy to suppress the secret astral tek, cause if anyone can learn it then suddenly you could have a fuckin shitload of real hardcore wizards that aren't under control or aligned to anyone

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if RV is real then we're either set up to fail or gonna get black bagged lol. If you can do poo poo like that then someone is gonna ruin jeffs day if they have to, just to get our posting coords and pay a visit

unless once you have RV you will know when someone's gonna come get you and can just leave into a new life where you're basically in a sci fi thriller from now on

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

dunno maybe it's a real conspiracy to suppress the secret astral tek, cause if anyone can learn it then suddenly you could have a fuckin shitload of real hardcore wizards that aren't under control or aligned to anyone

On the other hand if the US could give the cops the ability to psychically oppress minorities it would have at the drop of a hat. People with an 1/8 of weed would be getting force choked to death on the street. Some poor black guy who had his card declined at a target would be getting banished to the shadow realm for 50 years.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

what if signing your selective service card gave the usgov carte blanche to use your subconscious/astral body and actually we’re all the MiB without knowing it

:actually::11tea:

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

loving thin men. Move your rookies up and throw some grenades!

e: for real though what the gently caress am I looking at here

Top Gun Reference has issued a correction as of 12:58 on Jan 26, 2022

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

We have like an entire mental illness taxonomy specifically for people on these forums so I say we go for it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Top Gun Reference posted:

loving thin men. Move your rookies up and throw some grenades!

e: for real though what the gently caress am I looking at here

A clip from the bangin' video to Radiohead's If You Say The Word, I believe

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
https://twitter.com/_AstroErika/status/1486325786818891776

Elon gonna be pissin the moon birds off something fierce

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

fanfic insert posted:

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

the PSIco Squad is already out there doing mind crimes for uncle sam and all kinds of wild rear end poo poo.

How do you know they aren’t?

When I started I thought anyone could do it. Wasn’t some rear end in a top hat who thought I was special. Still don’t. But it’s become abundantly clear to me that the great majority of people can’t do psi poo poo consistently. Not for lack of trying.

IMO it goes back to Garry Nolan’s research on the brain differences between experiencers and non-experiencers.

Not sure that there are “hardcore wizards” out there, there seems to be a limit to what our monkey brains can accomplish. But there are 100% people out there doing some crazy poo poo with the power of the “mind”.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If a goon can provably psi then there's no reason to believe psi squad is not already up and running, unless extra info can be gotten that shows it not to be the case, we p much agree.

I'm considering it a 0% hit rate itt so far and figure if a goon can get even a few or maybe one "hard" hits then they will get abducted to the psi mines forever unless somehow nobody notices or disregards them for some reason.

The Cia guy who made the machine that got von Braun's attention -- the nonlocality vid -- this is clearly crap imo. The part I'm thinking of is the sketch of a castle and star, but the target zone was a car dealership with a star in the window. This hit is so insanely soft I can't consider it a hit at all and if he's claiming they developed methods to get 9/9 hits or w/e and he's talking about that, then the whole thing is just junk

OK so a goon sees something yellow red and the target is an orange peel, that's a soft hit, the chocolate cricket ball, that's a real soft hit. You have to reconstruct a connection after the fact.

Maybe if someone can build up to getting reliable but soft hits they can sorta work their way towards a hard hit, but I will belive when I see. The dude's vid saying remote viewing is as real as aspirin seems way way way too optimistic. That pic of the car dealership, that's after the fact building a soft hit and claiming it's spot on. It's not functionally useful.

Producing even a single hard hit would be mind boggling.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

:agreed:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

If a goon can provably psi then there's no reason to believe psi squad is not already up and running, unless extra info can be gotten that shows it not to be the case, we p much agree.

I'm considering it a 0% hit rate itt so far and figure if a goon can get even a few or maybe one "hard" hits then they will get abducted to the psi mines forever unless somehow nobody notices or disregards them for some reason.

The Cia guy who made the machine that got von Braun's attention -- the nonlocality vid -- this is clearly crap imo. The part I'm thinking of is the sketch of a castle and star, but the target zone was a car dealership with a star in the window. This hit is so insanely soft I can't consider it a hit at all and if he's claiming they developed methods to get 9/9 hits or w/e and he's talking about that, then the whole thing is just junk

OK so a goon sees something yellow red and the target is an orange peel, that's a soft hit, the chocolate cricket ball, that's a real soft hit. You have to reconstruct a connection after the fact.

Maybe if someone can build up to getting reliable but soft hits they can sorta work their way towards a hard hit, but I will belive when I see. The dude's vid saying remote viewing is as real as aspirin seems way way way too optimistic. That pic of the car dealership, that's after the fact building a soft hit and claiming it's spot on. It's not functionally useful.

What I've come to believe about psi stuff and the government is that they've done tests and discovered that they are able to achieve results above what can be expected with pure chance. Essentially that with an appropriate resource investment, they can prove that there is some phenomenon occurring. But at the same time they have done sufficient research to know that they also cannot get results to a level that is operationally useful.

That is, if they can accurately predict the location of the secret document cache, hidden nuke sites, etc. 40% of the time when educated observers only get it right 20% of the time is still not accurate enough to launch an operation. Pick whatever percentages you like for that, I have no idea what they would actually be.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah. There's also a lot of related ideas all slammed into each other, the whole thing is weird. What is psi exactly, RV? Jedi? What's the relationship to UAP?

The orange peel run was interesting to me on a couple points.

it's a good example of how these things seem to be split into miss / soft hit / hard hit
it illustrates how results can be polluted
it also shows that goon methodology is trash lol

I'm going off memory instead of quoting the actual results, but a miss would be the goon that saw something that was just not even close, like a calculator or w/e. That room has had stuff like that in there before and does right now, but it's also a super common thing and imo is just way off enough that it's no different from a guess. Maybe that goon detected something nearby, but there's nothing to go on, unfortunately. This was an interesting one on its own cause iirc they said it could potentially even be an abacus so they're clearly picking up something that's in a specific logical category and not something that's like a shape or color or anything.

I'm considering a soft hit is the goon who described like "an explosion" or "orange red yellow thing" or w/e. That's actually getting pretty close enough where you could make a jump from what's described to what's actually there, if you squint your brain it seems like yeah maybe they seen it and misinterpreted. The car dealership thing is... man that's a hell of a jump and i'd consider it a total miss. I feel like the chocolate bar was also a miss, that seems like a pretty long reach. Maybe a soft hit, texture and color were close but form wasn't just off, it was flat wrong.

Riot Bimbo's orange peel result was interesting to me on a bunch of points by itself, it was the most complicated one and had the most to analyze, and there were really interesting if pretty weak soft hits in there. Devil's advocate, I don't think she's defrauding the thread, but it's interesting to look at it as if it's suspect. The yellow shape maybe like a simpson character is interesting, because in the target pic my plant has some bigass yellow leaves, right? Or it's messy, the pic has a bunch of bullshit all over the top of the dresser. Or there's the cd shape that shows up in the upper right and that clearly correlates to a book with a rounded illustration of a jaguar on it in the pic. There's the baseball and there's a bunch of other loopy bigger orange peels on the books that are sort of glommed into the similar curves of the baseball stitches. All very weirdly sorta kinda accurate soft hits, borderline misses, kind of not.

BUT, all of these things are easily explained by stuff i've already posted which is clearly linked back.
"Hmm getting something pretty messy here" yeah it's 1, literally p messy, 2, goons are renowned slobs, 3, v vague comment -- it the scene that is messy or the RV "signal?"
Simpsons character - i post "lol" in the gbs simpsons meme thread every so often
Baseball -- posted i'm american here itt, common thing to have and i do have one, but not there.
"Cd" -- this one's interesting because earlier i posted a youtube of yes' astral traveller, and that object looks to me pretty similar to some yes albums i have.

At the same time, maybe I'm doing the logical jumps needed to force soft hits into misses, like I'm doing the reverse of what the CIA guy was doing.

So for the sake of the thread I'm assuming that yeah Riot Bimbo can literally RV some poo poo or perceive the transmundane or w/e, because that's the whole point of this side of the thread and facet of the UAP phenomena, that maybe poo poo like this is real. Hell, maybe the astral zone straight up IS real and half the posters are in it rn. But the results are also getting all hosed up because anyone might be accidentally noticing other information not given in the target post and then subconsciously injecting it into the RV or something like this. Plus I'll point out that the more content to the result, the more it could be interpreted as correct, if the interpreter wants RV to be real. I think more meatier results like RB's are actually better anyway if your goal is to get better hits over time, though.

To be more rigorous we'd have to actually define what is a hit or not, even though for the purposes of the experiment RV would have to have be assumed fuzzy -- everything that claims it's real seems to indicate that it's also an intrinsically imprecise thing, not like flying a drone up to the window and scoping it with a camera. We'd have to set it up more strictly so that someone does the intro for the target, people do their views and somehow time stamp them, and then the deadline hits, everyone posts their remote views, and then the target is revealed. We'd also need to seal off any potential info leaks, which will be tough cause we all shitpost all the time anyway. Maybe we could rig up some kind of system to anonymize targets and results?

We also have to assume that anyone can at least attempt to train RV or "mind powers," and that the human brain is at least somehow possibly able to do this even if we just throw explanatory mechanisms out the door. There's no point to any of this if there's the mystery shroud thrown over earth where "oh humans are just good enough at this to maybe have a few that are pretty ok at it," because to link it back to UAPs I think a theory is that there's this "alternate science" or "occult science" which is real but has not yet been discovered by humans (or the discovery is undisclosed), and some part of the phenomena is related to this unknown system. That would be the "PSI and/or psychotronic effects are real" hypothesis, I guess.

It's possible that the mechanism is something totally mundane like info leakage, and this is still interesting because if people are getting honest results it would mean that there's a way to train your brain to recorrelate things you already know and obtain some new useful synthesis out of them. You could then apply this to purposefully meditate your way into some intellectual pursuit instead of just stumbling across it or shambolically stepping through the normal scientific method. There's a billion stories of people discovering the structure of benzene through dreams or obtaining mathematical theorems via visions, and maybe they're literally ideas being projected or retrieved from "outside," or maybe they're some altered state -- why should it be impossible to induce this state on purpose?

That's the reason i think bigger results are better for "training," because even if it's an entirely bullshit mechanism then it could still be possible to get something useful out of the whole thing. If you could hone your ability to sniff out info leakage that's a potentially useful skill on its own. If you could put yourself into a mental state that lets you prototype ideas and concepts more effectively than usual, that would be a useful skill. If you could PSI that'd be a batshit insanely useful skill. So for me i guess it's less "are RV space wizards real?" and more "can RV-like exercises be useful?" We'd have to figure out a way analyze results with some metric to determine who can get relatively stronger or more accurate hits and see if they can figure out a way to increase their hit quality.

Ofc you might accidentally train yourself to be insane but eh, you win some you lose some.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

its never going to be xman poo poo. minor prophecy, situational esp, minuscule probability enhancement...these things are capable of changing lives but 99% of the time you wind up with someone like telephone telepathy. unless youre a shaman trying to keep your community alive by any means at your disposal this stuff is a hobby.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

no

Riot Bimbo has issued a correction as of 15:33 on Mar 4, 2022

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I've actually been thinking about this for a while now and I think I've come up with an interesting methodology that will address at least some of these issues. It requires me to not be so busy, however, so I'll try to post it once I have a window I can schedule.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

The Saucer Hovers posted:

unless youre a shaman trying to keep your community alive by any means
does keeping this thread on page 1 count

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Found a t-shirt for the thread. Also considering it for an AV:

https://roryblank.bigcartel.com/product/nobody-has-ever-been-right-black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

D-Pad posted:

Found a t-shirt for the thread. Also considering it for an AV:

https://roryblank.bigcartel.com/product/nobody-has-ever-been-right-black

Honestly, even just the logo could be cool.

Only registered members can see post attachments!