Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Robindaybird posted:

the way it gets talked up and she even has an anime cutscene makes me wondered if Diana originally was supposed to have a larger role in the game. As now we've spent more time with Syndey whose role in game is a glorified vacay menu.

Silverneil only got an ending with the PSP version, I believe. She doesn't have an ending in the Original Route (since Muntzer dies and that kind of miffs Silverneil a bit). So it was likely a case of her route just being thrown in haphazardly.

As for the cutscene, I think that was drawn up purely for intro material. Kind of like that weird fashion pose that Regina did back during Lamplast.

MythosDragon posted:

There's say 5 minutes of story and a CG for each(most?) ending, and considering there are 46(split across routes) there's definitely a solid amount of content behind them.
Awful shame you have to redo a solid chunk for each ending though, its why I've only ever seen like 2 despite 4 playthroughs of the game, I always lose steam towards the end.

Having to redo the last boss/segment of game to get new endings always sucks. It's why I never got more than 1 ending in my original playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Robindaybird posted:

the way it gets talked up and she even has an anime cutscene makes me wondered if Diana originally was supposed to have a larger role in the game. As now we've spent more time with Syndey whose role in game is a glorified vacay menu.

Diana is the focus of part of the VN sequel of the original route. So she probably has a cult following of some kind.

Psycho Knight posted:

Having to redo the last boss/segment of game to get new endings always sucks. It's why I never got more than 1 ending in my original playthrough.

Hopefully we can get most of it between us.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

MythosDragon posted:

Diana is the focus of part of the VN sequel of the original route. So she probably has a cult following of some kind.

Hopefully we can get most of it between us.

That's usually the way these things go. Fanbases love to latch on to characters that they "can't have." Personally, I don't really see the hype. I like the Royal Guard uniforms (even the silly hats), but it also results in Diana's design being nothing overly special. She is strong and independent while (and this part is important) not being an rear end in a top hat, which I like. Unfortunately, the game doesn't really delve too much into her beyond that. The whole thing with her dealing with a family member that doesn't recognize or remember her anymore is dropped almost immediately (we've had Hien in the party pretty consistently and the two of them don't really talk any more after Sunsail). Hell, I'm pretty sure Magnus has more moments with Hien dealing with that subject.

She only gets one flashback scene with Latika that revolves around her personally. Other than that, most of the other scenes we've had of her are more about Muntzer's character. As Robindaybird noticed, Silverneil's route is very obviously stapled on, seemingly as an afterthought.

As far as endings are concerned: I haven't said anything regarding this yet because I don't remember exactly how time consuming the final battles/ending sequences are. In my other LPs, I have usually used the character ending that was voted for by the thread as the "canon" one for the LP, then written short summaries of the other endings as part of a bonus update.

If it isn't too time consuming, then I will do that here as well (at least, with the characters whose endings we qualify for). But I don't want to make any promises until I see how long it takes me to speedrun from "Decide the ending" to "Credits roll." I know that PPSSPP has a speed toggle, but unfortunately it has limited use in this game since the increased speed makes menu navigation and precise movement nearly impossible. I haven't even been able to really use it much for skill grinding. The only use I've had for it so far is skipping through the overly long arena intros that happen before every single match.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I've had turbo on A poo poo TON. Zoom across maps, pretty much every mook battle, to speed through buffing animation, liberal use when in battle too. I have it set to L2 so toggling it on and off is easy. It does mess with your playtime though, I had an old save of about 57 hours close to where we are, and that seems more likely than my turbo fueled 70 hours.

If nothing else, I have my screenshots sorted into every characters furlough events, and once you do the final furlough so I know what to actually cover, I plan to start making those like I said I would.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Extra Update #4: War in the North

Before we get started on the last vacation period, we need to take a moment to finish Eliza’s character story. I had to cut this out of the main update, because it goes on for a loooong time. When I had finished typing it out, it had eaten up nearly a third of the entire update and I hadn’t even gotten to the main story content.

So this will have to be a small extra update. Once Furlough 7 had wrapped up, we were once again able to visit places like Klasdahl and Riesel. Riesel is the destination we need for Eliza's thing, so she goes in the party along with Magnus and Meline.

If he’s here, he’s staying at the inn. Let’s drop in on him, shall we?

[Cronkite]: I am. What’s your business with me?

Sworv asked me to deliver this letter.

[Cronkite]: Sworv did? Hm, this IS his signature. Tell him this if you see him again: I have to stay here for the time being.

Something to do with the organization?

Speak for yourself. It’s dangerous of you to immediately confirm your identity to a stranger, considering that you are investigating a super secret illuminati group or something.

[Cronkite]: Yes. The organization—Ausgleich--is making a move in Fandelcia.

This game certainly likes to sporadically use German for no discernable reason (other than it sounds cool, I guess). I think Ausgleich is German for “compromise.” Unlike Alten Schwart, it’s not misspelled (as far as I know).

That said, I have no idea why some shady spy organization that is pulling the strings of Dulkheim’s government would call themselves “Compromise.” Kind of seems like something they would be explicitly against.

Fandelcia!?

[Cronkite]:Yes… Why?

Fandelcia’s my homeland.

[Cronkite]: Ah, then perhaps you know Eliza Mayfield?

You could say that. You’re speaking to her.

[Cronkite]: Oh! Of all the things… Would you come here a moment?

*Cronkite heads through the back door of the inn*

An acquaintance of yours?

She was my wet nurse. She’s been family ever since, pretty much. What’s going on…?

[Cronkite]: Augsleich [sic] did this. And she has info that she insists on giving only to you. She wouldn’t tell me, no matter how many times I asked.

Yes, now I’m apparently correcting spelling errors in different languages. He really does say “Augsleich” here instead of “Ausgleich.” You just told us what it is like 5 seconds ago, dude.

[Maria]: Oh, Miss Eliza… Please, stop the master…

You mean Father? Stop him? From what, what’s happening?

[Maria]: Master and a few of the other nobles… they’ve formed a resistance. They’re going to try to reclaim Fandelcia. But Dulkheim knows their every move. If they proceed as things currently are, Master will be… Miss, please…

[Cronkite]: I can’t believe it! Lord Mayfield is rebelling!? The Iglesias nobility has no appreciable military. They don’t stand a chance!

I need to go save him. Now.

[Cronkite]: It’s far too dangerous!

[Cronkite]: Well, far be it for me to stop you. But let me come with you. If Ausgleich is involved, this is my business, too.

All right. Let’s g-- Oh! The tunnel’s caved in! How will we get there?

[Cronkite]: We’ll have to go by ship. Can you find a captain willing to take us? I need to get my information together and send a response to this letter. I’ll keep you informed on anything to do with Ausgleich.

Sounds good.

*Cronkite leaves*

Maria, don’t worry. I will save Father.

[Maria]: Alone, miss?

Not alone. With him.

[Maria]: Ah, I understand.

[Maria]: When you get there, head to the inn. The innkeeper can tell you more. Miss… please take care.

Well, Crevanille, sorry to mix you up in all this, but it looks like I’m going to need your help again.

:shrug: We got nothing better to do, since we're on house arrest.

I mean, technically we're not supposed to be making any moves against Dulkheim or Iglesias, but when have pesky things like rules ever stopped us?

We need to speak to the ship’s captain.

We do know of one sailor still in this town. He was that guy whose wife talked up his abilities over his looks.

I want to travel to Fandelcia. It’s an emergency.

[Captain]: Hmmm, well, there’s still fighting going on there. Kinda scary, even for me… But if you don’t mind getting off a little ways from where you want to go, then I wouldn’t mind taking you.

That would be fine. Thank you.

[Captain]: All right, well, give me a holler when you’re ready, then.

*Cronkite then walks up behind us*

[Cronkite]: My preparations are complete. If you’re not ready, I suggest you hurry.

We’ve got no reason to wait, so let’s set sail.

[Cronkite]: …Be careful.

You, too.

*Cronkite then wanders off into the monster-infested wilderness by himself*

Our objective is to get to Fandelcia. The monsters are all the same stuff we fought way back during our first trip here, so there’s no reason to bother with them. Just keep heading to the Northwest.

Yuni will also setup a Transgate, which is nice, but not especially useful. I don’t think we ever need to come back here for any reason after this. Maybe I’m wrong, though.

After that’s done, we head straight to the inn. All the shops here are still carrying their original stock, so none of it is of any use to us.

Maria told me what happened. Where are Father and the others?

[Innkeeper]: We’ve sheltered the lady here… I’ll show you to her room.

Oh, Mother! Thank goodness, you’re all right… Where’s Father? I heard he was… leading a rebellion?

[Lady Mayfield]: ……

[Maid]: …You see, the other day, the count retook the Mayfield mansion, or so he thought. It was a Dulkheim trap. Your father is under siege there now. Him and a few others, from the little we know.

Oh, no… Come on! We have to go now!

*Cronkite enters*

[Cronkite]: He’s out of town, but the army won’t mobilize against the rebels without his direct order. So, we have time. If we keep our heads and plan tonight, we can make a move tomorrow and have a better chance.

In case you forgot, Ludwig moved Lumis to the south in order to handle the Valkanian war effort. It’s a little strange that nobody else has been appointed to oversee Iglesias in his place. Given the stupidity involved in how Ludwig got suddenly promoted to Supreme Commander, I have to assume that the top brass of the Dulkheim military is composed of two Majors, a Lieutenant Colonel, and Captain Marler.

[Maid]: I’ll prepare your room.

Thank you… All right. Let’s rest here once we’re all set for tomorrow.

[Cronkite]: I have a bit more to investigate.

*Cronkite leaves*

[Lady Mayfield]: Eliza… You intend to fight against Dulkheim yourself?

Yes, and don’t try to stop me.

Besides, I’ve got friends here. Good ones. And together, we WILL bring Father back.

[Lady Mayfield]: You’ve grown up so quickly, Eliza… Very well. Do what you have to do, and I will wait right here for you both.

We’re done with the talking, so we head to bed and plan for tomorrow’s operation. Not sure why we’re planning, of course, since I intend to just kick the door in and slaughter every Dulkheim soldier in sight, but whatever.

Crevanille? Are you awake?

*Eliza enters Crevanille’s room*

Sorry to bother you so late. I just wanted to talk. …Don’t get any ideas. I can’t sleep. Too much to think about. There’s a million ways our plan can go wrong, and if it does, Father could die.

Don’t worry. You’ve got me here.

Well, aren’t you Mr. Confident? Fine. I just won’t worry, then.

I mean, it’s not like he doesn’t have reason for the confidence. You’ve seen what he’s capable of by this point.

But when I realized you were the one I wanted to talk to, I figured it out. I know how I feel about you. …Look, everything’s crazy right now. But once Father’s safe, and assuming I’m still alive… I’ll let you know the rest. Well, glad we had this conversation. What do you say we get some rest, and I’ll see you in the morning? Oh… and thanks.

Considering Crevanille only said one thing during that entire scene, I like to imagine that the scene cut to Crevanille’s face at one point and there was just the sound of a dial-up modem.

[Innkeeper]: The count’s still inside. The others are out scouting on his behalf.

In the morning, the Innkeeper informs us of a development that is most assuredly not a Dulkheim trick.

What, they just up and left? It can’t be that simple. There’s something going on. I’m heading out there right now!

*Eliza runs off*

Eliza, do you not remember the conversation we had about this? I know it was way back near the early section of the game, but still.

Eliza, please wait.

*Cronkite then walks in*

[Cronkite]: The young lady isn’t heading for the mansion, is she?

[Innkeeper]: Well, the Dulkheim [sic] seems to have withdrawn, so… yes…

*gasp* Augsleich! I mean, Ausgleich! …German!

[Cronkite]: They only fell back to lull the rebels into making their move. They will grant no quarter, not even to the nobles! Lord Mayfield will be killed, and his daughter with him!

This is an emergency, Master. I recommend the utmost haste.

Things are finally popping off. Some of these final character story events are very drawn out.

Anyway, don’t bother buffing just yet. We’re able to get a bit closer before a battle will trigger. Start by leaving the Inn and heading up the stairs outside. We’re going back to the Mayfield mansion.

Around here is where you want to do your buffing. The mission will start once we head about halfway up these stairs.

Of course it’s him. It’s always him.

A girl…? No matter. Kill them both.

[Dulkheim Soldier]: Sir? Could you… please confirm that order?

Mayfield is an insurgent. He’s perfectly fair game. And the girl… Wrong place, wrong time. Do it.

[Dulkheim Soldier]: As you command, sir. Forward!

Gotta be strong…

I recommend immediate action, Master.

You got it, Yuni. One steaming plate of Sword Dances coming riii--

Of all people… Here you are, trying to get in my way, again!

That’s right. I’ve got you this time, Otter!

Otter… So, the man Magnus was after was, in fact, Cargill.

Cargill, huh? That your real name? It’s not like last time “Cargill.” We’re gonna settle this right now!

Okay, it looks like we’ve got multiple character stories overlapping. Well, I can’t just Sword Dance everything now. We have to give Magnus his shot at revenge.

Eliza and her father need to be kept alive. Eliza should be able to fend off the nearby swordsmen, but there are two archers which will be a major threat to Lord Mayfield. You should also be wary of the soldier to the right of Eliza, since it’s possible for him to get to Lord Mayfield fairly quick, at which point he can swing twice in one turn.

There are also a few spellcasters on the far right and left of the screen that will try and cast Joint Spells like Earthquake.

I have Magnus take a left at the top of the stairs in order to have his duel of the fates against Cargill. Meline stays put and just flings Level 2 Death spells everywhere.

[Lord Mayfield]: But--

Don’t worry. I’ve… had some practice.

[Lord Mayfield]: Very well. I’m counting on you, Eliza.

This is one of the very few times where I don’t really have anything for Crevanille to do. Meline is instant killing soldiers with the Death spell before he can reach them and Magnus is on Cargill duty. Crevanille gets one kill and then just ends up wandering around the field for the rest of the battle, occasionally throwing Sacred Elixirs at Lord Mayfield.

This isn’t just for me, Cargill! You poisoned my master, and now you’re going to pay for it!

*After killing a few soldiers and watching Magnus absolutely crush Cargill*

*Cargill runs*

drat IT! He got away!

Yeah, despite having Magnus with us for this fight against Cargill, we still haven’t killed the bastard. He’s a slippery gently caress, so we need to corner him in a place where he’s got nowhere to escape to.

Oh, and if you want to know how much of a brick Magnus is…

He fought Cargill, a Dulkheim Captain, and an archer; yet he’s only down about 50 HP. Eliza’s HP is also really high, but she had to be healed during the fight. Meline and Crevanille just haven’t been in striking distance for the whole battle.

Meanwhile, Magnus just tanks damage and then regenerates it all like he’s Wolverine. He’s even got the ‘burns!

Okay… so maybe not a total match to the comic book version, but he’s definitely got the Hugh Jackman look.

As long as you keep an eye on Lord Mayfield’s health, then this isn’t a difficult mission.

Let’s go. Mother’s waiting for us.

[Lord Mayfield]: Right.

*Eliza and Lord Mayfield head back to the Inn. We’re going to follow right behind them, since there’s nothing left for us outside the mansion*

[Lady Mayfield]: Sweetie…

[Lord Mayfield]: I’m sorry to have worried you so. Such a simple trap… I played right into their hands. I never expected to be rescued by you, Eliza…

I wasn’t alone, Father. These friends of mine came to help us.

[Lord Mayfield]: There are no words to express my thanks to all of you.

[Lady Mayfield]: And thank you from me, as well. Not only for saving my husband, but for everything you’ve done for Eliza. You were a girl when you left, and now, you’re this strong, courageous, radiant young woman…

Mother, stop it…

[Lord Mayfield]: Your mother’s right. Your friends have been quite the influence on you!

Father! That’s enough.

[Lord Mayfield]: Hahaha… Forgive me.

[Cronkite]: Lord and Lady Mayfield, what do you plan to do next?

Hold on before you answer that. Father, we need to talk.

[Lord Mayfield]: What is it, Eliza?

I want you to promise me… Don’t start something like this again.

[Lord Mayfield]: Hmmm, but if I’d done nothing--

[Lord Mayfield]: Both, I suppose. I want to help the people return to the way things were.

Is that really what the people want, though? Have you considered that what they had wasn’t all that great?

[Lord Mayfield]: Well, Dulkheim has this convoluted democracy, and--

It’s easy to say that in your position. What about everyone else? Do you think they all want the same thing you do?

Did it improve under Dulkheim? There’s no evidence to suggest that it has. Ludwig sure as hell isn’t thinking about what the people want. He’s thinking about turning himself into the second coming of Alexander the Great.

Added to that, did you once consider the danger you put Fandelcia’s citizens in when you started this rebellion? The only reason such a strong military presence was here is because of you.

This, at least, is a solid point. Lumis was keeping the Dulkheim occupying force in check and stopping them from doing anything brutal or tyrannical. Stirring up a rebellion was only going to result in a harsh crackdown on the entire region. If rebellion was what a majority of the populace wanted, then sure, you're justified. But from what we've seen, most people in Fandelcia just want to live their lives without risk of having their homes razed.

[Lord Mayfield]: ……

I’m sorry to be so blunt about it. But I’ve come to realize something: right and wrong is so subjective. From one perspective, your actions might be heroic. From another, they may be careless or even vicious. With the times changing as they are, it’s important to be mindful of that.

[Lord Mayfield]: …… ……. …Well.

This part ties into my gripes about how this game fumbled it messaging on government. You can tell that Eliza is driving at the idea that the Lord/Monarchy system is not working and that the people should decide things. The problem with this is that, in order to not make a main party member’s father look like a complete monster, the game doesn’t explain anything about why Lord Mayfield’s rule is bad.

If you talk to the NPCs around Fandeclia, none of them are especially overjoyed that Lord Mayfield was kicked out. Most of them simply hold the stance that “I don’t care who is in charge, as long as we’re not being dragged into the streets and executed.” As mentioned, there’s also no evidence that Dulkheim’s rule is any better than Iglesias’. Sure, the Dulkheim army isn’t burning the place to the ground, but that’s largely a result of the more pacifistic Lumis being in charge. We aren’t hearing of any effort by Dulkheim to improve anyone’s life.

Anyway, I’ll stop there. I said I would save my ranting for the Impressions section of the LP wrap-up.

[Lord Mayfield]: I do certainly miss the old days. One can’t help but dwell on them in times like these… Very well, then. I promise you, I will start no further trouble. And I will… I will take some time and think on what’s best for our people.

*Success! We changed Lord Mayfield’s fate!*

There’s not much to say about this one. It’s basically as short and uninteresting as Mortis’ fate. If we don’t succeed, then Lord Mayfield is killed outside the mansion.

Thank you, Father!

Well done, Eliza.

[Lord Mayfield]: And now, young lady, what is it you intend to do?

[Lady Mayfield]: Will you stay with us in Iglesias? Or perhaps…

And yeah, it’s going to be hard. But that’s what friends are for…

[Lord Mayfield]: I see…

I’m sorry, Father. I…

[Lord Mayfield]: Don’t be. You are no longer a child… And your mother and I no longer need to hold you back. Do as you wish.

Thank you.

[Cronkite]: Well, if you’ll excuse me, I have the story I came for. You going to travel back with me?

No need to worry. We’ve got a Transgate.

[Cronkite]: Trans… gate?

Don’t worry about it. Enjoy your voyage back to Riesel through the frigid arctic, loser!

Uh, never mind. Anyway, you don’t need to worry about us. Thanks for all the help. And also… for Maria…

[Cronkite]: I only did what any man would. Well, I’ll be off, then.

You sure you got enough material?

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. If Cargill is the leader of that organization, then he won’t be for very long. Magnus intends on seeing to that.

[Cronkite]: Don’t worry. I won’t write a word about the Mayfields.

[Lord Mayfield]: Thank you…

*Cronkite leaves*

On that note, we should get going. Father, Mother… Fare thee well.

[Lord Mayfield]: Be safe, Eliza. Good luck.

[Lady Mayfield]: Take care, dear! We love you!

And that does it for Eliza’s character quest. Weirdly, there is no prompt or dialog for her obtaining her ultimate armour. I thought the game had glitched at first, but when I checked the inventory it was already there.

Oh, well. As long as we got it.

Now then, with that oddly time consuming character quest out of the way, we return to No Angeles for the last of our vacations. As a reminder, there's no vote for this one. We're just going to be wrapping up as many character routes as we can in preparation for the endgame.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 22, 2021

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I forgot that we'd seen Cargill's eyes before, so seeing them again was... eye-opening.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I like that it's called a "light" dress but 286 str isn't enough to wear it :j:

Poor Cronkite, all that digging and he doesn't even get a cisgate :v:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

vilkacis posted:

I like that it's called a "light" dress but 286 str isn't enough to wear it :j:

It only takes 225 to wear, that warning at the top is just scrolling by to tell you that you'll suffer penalties if you don't have enough str.

Also, I should have realized that there are multiple ways for the game to tell you where the Sunset Quartz is.

Also also, Beefcake Magnus :swoon: You'll get your revenge eventually.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

marshmallow creep posted:

I forgot that we'd seen Cargill's eyes before, so seeing them again was... eye-opening.

We don't get to see them very often, so it is kinda creepy when he suddenly does have them open.

vilkacis posted:

He made the decision to come with us. Not our fault he's not super special awesome like we are. :colbert:

On the upside, at least he'll have Mr. Red Green to talk to during the trip back.

Ardeem posted:

Also, I should have realized that there are multiple ways for the game to tell you where the Sunset Quartz is.

Something I haven't tested is whether or not you can simply snag it while in the area as long as some event has been triggered which requires it. I would assume it doesn't show up if you've never heard of it or the Lovers Oak, but I'm curious if it just appears as soon as Maggie or Regina's events mention it.

--A an update on the completeness of this LP--

Based on my list, the following people should have endings available by the end of the LP: Remus, Eliza, Vallery, Magnus, Hien, Yuni, Sydney, Meline, Tricia, Diana, Alicia, and Pamela.

Maggie, Regina, Mel, Leona, and Frayne are no longer possible for us. There is another that is only possible under a very specific condition, but I can't mention it because spoilers. The thread will know of it when/if it happens and it doesn't require any input on their part.

In addition, the next main update will be where the Route Split happens. Now that I have actually reached this stage of the game, I'm unfortunately going to have to confirm that I will not be doing the Dulkheim (Evil to "Sort of" Evil) Route. Looking ahead at what is coming up for me in terms of work and school, I simply won't have the time to cover that.

I will give brief summaries at the end of the LP for what happens in the various Dulkheim endings, but an in-depth playthrough just isn't in the cards. As for the New Year, if I end up getting a lot more free time then, chances are that I will likely be in the mood to move on to another LP instead of doing completionist stuff in this one.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

That's still a pretty good chunk of the cast you managed to unlock!

Psycho Knight posted:

There is another that is only possible under a very specific condition, but I can't mention it because spoilers.

:catstare: It's Cronkite isn't it

I fully understand not doing multiple runs of a game as along as this. I am still curious what the other paths involve though, so will definitely appreciate the summaries.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Psycho Knight posted:

There is another that is only possible under a very specific condition, but I can't mention it because spoilers. The thread will know of it when/if it happens and it doesn't require any input on their part.

Getting the conditions for this ending and then not doing it feels like a real dick move.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I definitely plan to try to write some bonus updates, Considering how much anxiety I had when originally planning to LP this years ago, I'm not gonna make any promises beyond at least one though. Thinking I'll do Leona first since well, I really like Rie Kugimiya as a Catgirl lol and Pamela and Tricia are unlocked.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
So, my first playthrough, I somehow managed to get all but two of the names on the "altered fates" list. Thanks to this LP, I know the ones I was missing were Remus and Lord Mayfield.

And for the record, the endings I qualified for were: Vallery, Frayne, Magnus, Tricia, Pamela, Sydney, and Silverneil.

And now I will go back to hitting myself for accidentally saving over my new game+ file after playing around in the bonus dungeon yesterday. :suicide:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Melomane Mallet posted:

And now I will go back to hitting myself for accidentally saving over my new game+ file after playing around in the bonus dungeon yesterday. :suicide:

Oof. The pink clear data or the file you've actually been playing on?

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Ardeem posted:

Oof. The pink clear data or the file you've actually been playing on?

The clear data I saved nine years ago for another playthrough, but never got around to. I had reloaded a pre-final battle save to refamiliarize myself with the game, and then yeah.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Melomane Mallet posted:

The clear data I saved nine years ago for another playthrough, but never got around to. I had reloaded a pre-final battle save to refamiliarize myself with the game, and then yeah.

Double oof. Good luck.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

vilkacis posted:

I fully understand not doing multiple runs of a game as along as this. I am still curious what the other paths involve though, so will definitely appreciate the summaries.

I will do summaries of those route endings, I just won't be going through the route mission-by-mission like what you're seeing here.

Ardeem posted:

Getting the conditions for this ending and then not doing it feels like a real dick move.

Trust me, it sounds more interesting than it actually is. If we don't see it, it's because a majority of the thread does not give a crap about anyone involved in it. The only reason I say "spoilers" is because mentioning it would probably impact the ending vote in some way.

MythosDragon posted:

I definitely plan to try to write some bonus updates, Considering how much anxiety I had when originally planning to LP this years ago, I'm not gonna make any promises beyond at least one though. Thinking I'll do Leona first since well, I really like Rie Kugimiya as a Catgirl lol and Pamela and Tricia are unlocked.

If you're doing that, then you really only need to focus on the characters that we don't have unlocked in the thread (Frayne, Maggie, Regina, Leona, and Mel). Like I said, depending on how much effort is needed to speedrun through the last segment after choosing an ending, I may do short summaries of every other ending after the LP ends. That's what I've done in basically every other game I've LP'd.

Melomane Mallet posted:

So, my first playthrough, I somehow managed to get all but two of the names on the "altered fates" list. Thanks to this LP, I know the ones I was missing were Remus and Lord Mayfield.

Lord Mayfield is a weird one, because his (and I think 1 other character) fate is only changed through a character story, whereas all the others are done during the main story path. On a first playthrough (assuming you haven't done Eliza's route), you are most likely just going to assume that you made a mistake somewhere along the way. There are quite a few minor character deaths in the game that seem preventable, but aren't (Abrams, Elena's boyfriend). Dixon's death also seems like something you would be able to reverse, since it happens with Regina.

Melomane Mallet posted:

That sucks.

In my case, I still have the original Save Data on my PSP memory stick, but I know when I started this LP I was still very careful to create a buffer of 1 or 2 empty slots between my saves and LP saves (a habit I developed from the FFVII days where save corruption was common and seemed to infect nearby save slots).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You could just back up your memory stick to your PC. The PSP ain't exactly Fort Knox, even if you don't have it hacked I don't think it has anything like what modern consoles have where it cares about the timestamps on the saves or anything.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Furlough #8: Tying Up Loose Ends

This is it. It’s our last Furlough where we can actually affect anything related to character endings. The final Furlough is mostly just a moment where you pick a character ending, so this is your last chance to finish character stories.

There was no vote for this one, because we’re using this to wrap up the stories of whatever characters are feasible. Eliza, Remus, and Vallery’s are already complete. Hien and Magnus require us to engage in certain battles, so we won’t be spending any time with them, either.

Mel, Leona, and Frayne’s endings are no longer possible given the time we have left. Meanwhile, Maggie and Regina’s endings won’t be possible due to the thread voting for Sunset Quartz instead of Lovers Oak.

That leaves: Meline, Yuni, Pamela, Alicia, Sydney, and Diana.

I set the first day in No Angeles. After Crevanille heads to bed, however, he’ll be interrupted during the night by Remus.

Note that this only happens if we have completed Remus’ character story.

If you have time during your next furlough, could we meet with my sister at the castle?

Okay. Got it.

Great! Lately, my sister’s been taking an unusual interest in my journeys. She seems particularly intrigued by you. So, I was thinking that she might be happy to meet you in person instead of hearing me talk about you.

I get the impression that Remus is playing wingman for his sister. He said “can we meet with my sister”, but it certainly sounds as though this is actually going to be a Crevanille only visit.

*Remus leaves and we fade out, but then we fade right back in as Crevanille’s sleep is once again disturbed*

[Levan]: A letter has arrived for you.

*We receive a letter*

[Levan]: Now if you would excuse me…

*Levan leaves*

*Crevanille reads the letter from Silverneil. It says that she would like you to come to the front of the battle arena tomorrow*

I cannot discern her purpose, Master. But I recommend accepting her invitation.

In the morning, we find Yuni acting a little strange. She’s just floating there in silence instead of doing her usual “Master, I report that all other lifeforms have begun their daily processes” thing.

What happened?

Oh, it’s… it’s nothing.

Weird.

As soon as we leave the room, Eliza wanders around the corner and stops us.

E-Eliza! Where did you hear this!?

Oh man, I want to see these!

You do? I had determined that my works would not be of interest to Master, so… Perhaps more importantly, I do not feel as though the workmanship is at a quality that you would find acceptable.

Mel thinks they’re good enough to be sold in her store, doesn’t she? Doesn’t that tell you everything you need to know about the quality? Crevanille, this is a great chance to see her work firsthand! Take it!

*Eliza leaves and heads downstairs*

Sure thing, Yuni!

You know drat well we’re going to take Eliza’s advice and go check out those accessories.

But first! Fancy a spot of tea?

Tea would be great.

Pamela’s making tea? I’ll have some!

Tea for three. Give me one moment…

…Mmm. Delightful tea as always, Pamela.

Not a fan of tea, personally.

Why, thank you, Maggie! Crevanille, how’s yours?

It has a pleasing aroma.

Ah, it’s a special blend of mine! I’m happy you like it.

I think this is the first time we hear of Familiars not being able to drink? Yuni may have mentioned not needing to eat before, but I don’t think she ever said it in such a way that would suggest it’s impossible.

It would explain how she survived all those months locked in her dollhouse when we were in War Crime Prison, but now I’m curious what happens to her if she does drink something. Is it poison to her? Does it just convert to mana? Does she explode? What happens if she falls in the water and accidentally swallows some of it? Does that count as drinking? If water is fine, then that just circles back to the question about what happens to it afterward.

Why thank you!

Yeah, I know. We’re not getting any answers on that stuff.

This tea really deserves some better teaware. [sic] Maybe we should’ve borrowed some from the dining room.

We should have. You know, I actually carried around a nice tea set back in my old mercenary days. Wish I hadn’t gotten rid of it.

Why did you discard it?

I want to say it’s in good hands… Just thinking about it makes me want to drink from that one cup again…

You’ve always been like that. You throw things away on a whim, and then you feel bad about it.

Yes, well, we can’t all be hoarders.

I can’t help it. Every one of those things has a purpose.

I suppose you CAN’T help it, you being you.

Some things do stick with you.

…Well then, that tea set just happened not to be one of them.

But in that case…

Well, looks like break time’s over. Back to it, then.

Already? Ah, I suppose so.

*After we leave the lab, Yuni will stop us for a second*

I suggest we inquire with the former mercenary members.

We know the location of a few former Alten Schwart members. We’ll need to wait until after the furlough in order to get to them, though. Santos and Ned hang out around Ordinale, while Mortis is all the way out in Klasdahl.

Next up, we go scope out the accessories that Yuni made and is weirdly insistent on Crevanille not discovering.

I’ve already set your works up about the shop, little lady. They’ll sell like hot cakes, just you watch.

Do you really believe so?

I’ve got to imagine that accessories made by an actual real-life fairy would be absurdly popular. Of course, only the people with the aptitude for magic are going to be able to verify that. Everyone else will probably just write it off as a sales tactic or believe in it because they are gullible.

Doesn’t matter what I think at this point--stuff’s out on display! Why not go take a gander?

These are not items that Master requires. But, um…

Nonsense. I want to see them.

Come over here, then.

*We fade out for a bit. When we come back, Mel is talking with some random guy before he walks away*

You can see Crevanille’s feet poking out under the awning. He’s apparently hanging out in the back of the shop.

Hmmm…

What’s on your mind, little lady? Your ring sold, you know.

Affirmative. A person came in, purchased it, and left with it.

That was your goal, right?

The purchaser will take excellent care of the item. He gave it a lot of thought.

That is appreciated, Mel.

That seemed to make Yuni happy. Great work, us.

Now, there’s one last matter to attend to on this first day. Let’s head to the arena.

Make sure to do your buffing before talking to Silverneil. If your Crevanille doesn’t have all the buff spells, well… good luck, I guess?

Thanks for coming by. Do you have some free time to fight now?

I have some time.

Good. Follow me.

You should save this until the end of the vacation day, because this event will automatically use up your remaining time when you trigger it (you’ve got to have a dramatic sunset for this, after all).

After you talked to me earlier, I’ve begun to open up… As I am right now, I don’t know if I will be of use to the Royal Guard. The Royal Guard is respected all over the world, and I need to feel like I’m not going to besmirch their reputation. I shall return to Valkania before long… But before I do so, I want to cross swords with you once more. Will you accept my challenge?

I accept your challenge.

…I had a feeling that you would say that. In the name of the Royal Guards--no, as Diana Silverneil--I stake my pride upon this match!

Diana is Level 58 in this fight. You’ll need to be careful of stun, since she is able to attack three times in a turn (you might want to equip a Stun Guard). If she manages to stun you, then you’re hosed.

Other than that, this is a straight 1v1 battle of attrition. She doesn’t pull any fancy spells or anything. You just walk up and start swinging wildly at each other until one of you falls over. That said, she does have Counter, so be prepared for backlash damage as you fight.

Now, our Crevanille is strong enough to win this fight through blind attacking (he survived my first run at this fight with about 270 HP left). If you are having trouble with this fight, however, there is a way to cheese it.

Invisible is a spell that can be learned fairly early in the game. I haven’t talked much about it so far because it trivializes some fights in the game (specifically, the arena). Invisible is quick to cast, but can only be used on the person who is casting it. It does exactly what it says in the description up there: Prevents the character from being targeted by enemies.

The character can still take damage from AOE, but it basically makes them immune to all normal attacks.

I see you’re not afraid to strike.

So if you feel the need to cheese this battle, then just have Crevanille learn Invisible and then have him cast it on himself at the start of the fight. This completely neuters Diana’s offence and leaves her unable to do anything. I think she might still be capable of Countering, but she couldn’t manage in this recording.

*After some damage is dealt*

As expected. Very good, Crevanille.

*After some more damage*

S-So, this is it…

Don’t hold back.

That’s fine by me!

*After one last solid hit*

…I see. It was as I expected…

Crevanille snags a level out of the ordeal, which is nice. Just a little more story to go and we’ll be ready to open the floodgates on him. Once we reach the endgame, I intend to turn Crevanille into an even more unstoppable force by employing all the broken poo poo this game has to offer. Some of that will be necessary for the bonus dungeon and Arena Exhibition matches.

Once again, I was not strong enough to defeat you. I am the conquered, yet again…

Don’t be so down on yourself, Diana. Nobody is strong enough to defeat us.

It was a good fight.

…That it was.

I think this is the first time we’ve gotten a good look at Diana from the front. Personally, I was surprised to see her wearing a skirt. Up until now, I had imagined her Royal Guard outfit featured pants.

I’m glad I had the opportunity to fight you… The defeat at Rebrant took its toll on me. But now I realize that the result was inevitable. You went beyond the borders between enemies and you tried to not to [sic] cause unnecessary casualties.

Those words you said to me that day saved me. You truly are an amazing person. That allowed me to come to terms with my defeat.

I’m really not amazing.

Latika once told me that those who are truly amazing are not those who defeat many enemies, or even strong foes. She said that people who are saviors to others are truly amazing. Maybe you’re one of those people she was talking about.

You are making that 8-year old girl sound far more articulate than she actually is.

I have been fully bested in terms of both skill and strength. I understand it, but it’s still frustrating to me. Frustrated, but also… happy. Perhaps it’s because I know you’re strong enough for me to trust both my sword and my heart to.

No, that’s not what I mean. I will come and see you again. And maybe when we meet the next time, I’ll be the one helping you. Thank you. Until we meet again, Crevanille.

And with that, we’ve unlocked Diana as a possible ending choice.

For our next--

Never mind. Our sleep is interrupted by Mel this time.

Excuse the late hour. But no, I wanted to talk to you, actually. I figured it’d be best to get this to you as soon as possible.

I apologize for making you go out of your way for me.

Don’t worry about it! You make sure you give it to that special person, okay? That’s all I got. See ya later!

*Mel leaves*

Who’s that for?

I, uh… It is not for anyone. I do not intend this ring for any person in particular… We should go to bed soon, Master.

Nice save, Yuni.

Anyway, Day 2. We’re sticking to No Angeles. There are a few more things to wrap up before we switch to the Marquelia stuff.

Of course, we need to find out what the hell is up with Yuni before we can start on any of that. She still seems out of sorts.

Are you okay?

Affirmative… Do not worry, Master. My ability to serve you will not be affected. I appreciate your concern. I will have Maggie check me out to ensure my health at a later time. How will you spend the day?

I know how we’re going to spend the morning: Bringing you straight to Maggie. Can’t have you being distracted and all getting weird on us.

Yuni isn’t feeling well.

You should not have had to go out of your way for me, Master.

What’s this?

I am experiencing pain in my chest with occasional headaches.

Are you doing anything when you notice these symptoms appear?

Hmmm, interesting. Come here so I can take a closer look.

*The scene fades out as Maggie runs some tests, or examines Yuni, or does magic. Hell if I know how Familiar health works*

Your body seems healthy. My tests don’t show any signs of abnormalities or defects.

I do not understand how that could be. There is undoubtedly a pain in my chest.

Well, in that case… I would submit that your pain isn’t the result of any physical issue. When did the pain first begin? Maybe that will shed some light on this.

If you say so… To thoroughly confirm that this is not a physical problem, then, I’ll need to keep you for a little while to run more test. [sic] Should take about a week.

Negative. The entire reason for my existence is to stay with my master and aid him. I cannot do that staying here.

Well, if you come up with any other ideas, be sure to look into them. I’m no psychologist, but it seems like the only way you’ll solve this problem will be to look within.

Errr…

After this, we leave the lab and head down the hallway. Yuni stops us as we round the corner.

I did not mean for you to come out all this way only to receive a dearth of answers.

Tell me what’s troubling you.

Master…

Does that make me a failure?

Of course not!

Master, I… My chest… hurts… but I will think consider [sic] this issue further. To better understand your kindness, I will think on this issue further.

This translation is a little jumbled, as you could probably tell by the fact that Yuni repeats herself. In Japanese, her second line is more like “I will think about how to respond to Master’s kindness.”

That finishes Yuni’s character story… I think. At least I hope it does. It really feels as though she should have one more event. Well, it is what it is, I suppose.

Next on our list is Meline, because the thread voted for her one time and that was pretty much all she needed to be ending viable.

All we need to do is invite her out to a place. Anywhere will do. I choose Mel’s, purely because it’s the closest and fastest event.

After visiting the shop (that’s literally the only line she has for us), she’ll pull Crevanille aside for a brief conversation.

Not at all.

Really? I mean, that’s fine, but you should really get some rest. It’s been scary, recently, what with how much stress you put on yourself closing a gate. You could be injured… Aren’t you frightened? If things keep up as they are, it seems like you could vanish…

I’m not going anywhere.

Crevanille…

And the last thing I want to do is burden you further…

I’ve never thought of you like that.

I have.

You really are too kind to me. But then, that’s what I love so much about you.

And that’s Meline’s ending locked. At least I assume so. There is one small missable event that we didn’t see for her because it happens right after she is rescued, but she didn’t get voted for in that Furlough. It should be fine, though.

For Day 3, we head to Marquelia. Remus asked us to hang out with his sister like two days ago, making us fashionably late. But hey, at least we remembered eventually, right?

What brings you to the castle?

Remus wanted us to meet.

Remus told you? Th-That’s, well, uh… Thank you for coming all this way. If it’s all right with you, would you mind waiting outside the castle grounds?

I have some time.

Excellent, I shall see you again shortly.

*We turn around and leave the castle, which triggers the next scene*

I wanted to talk to you like this once, without regard to social status, as your friend. …..

Anything you’d like to say?

Oh, no… My apologies. A curious feeling came over me. I have known you for some time, but it’s like this is the first time we’ve truly met. This is probably the first time I’ve seen you so up close.

It might seem like we’re cockblocking Chris here, but, to be fair, it was never established what his intentions were towards Alicia. Nevertheless, we’d best not assume anything.

If you like it, look all you want.

Haha… I may take you up on that offer.

But it’s different with you. I don’t want all the extra royal privileges. I just want to talk to you as myself. Crevanille, not only did you save the country, but you also gave me the courage needed to drive the oracle away. Even now, you’re risking your life to save not only this tiny country of Marquelay, but the whole world.

You’re overexaggerating.

No, I’m not. As royalty, I’ve met with all manner of people, but I have never met anyone like you. You are truly a unique and wonderful individual.

After watching the agony you have taken upon yourself, Remus has begun to feel for you. Even though I’ve never seen your actions up close like Remus has, as his sister, I feel for you, as well. You’re an amazing person. You must be sure to take care of yourself.

There is no one alive who could close to replacing you.

Now I kind of feel bad for Chris. He’s been sneaking her out of the castle for a taste of freedom for who knows how long. He sided with his brother and convinced him to turn against Valkania in order to protect Marquelay. Then Crevanille comes along and kills some Dulkheim and Valkanian soldiers and suddenly Alicia is calling him irreplaceable.

Thank you.

You really are such a nice person. Please, visit the castle again soon. This may be selfish, but I’d feel better if I could see that you are doing well.

I promise.

Thank you so much, Crevanille. Please, come by to visit sometime.

*Alicia then leaves*

The Princess still has one more event in her story chain, but we’ll look into that tomorrow.

Not that there’s really anything left to do now. Sydney only heads to Marquelia on the final vacation day, so we can’t finish up her thing just yet.

In the end, I decide to piss away two more time slots by talking with random party members.

On Day 4, we see Sydney heading out to Marquelia. As usual, she will only appear there during sunset.

So we waste one time slot chatting, then use the mid-day slot to visit Alicia again.

Do you have some free time? If you’re not in a rush, I’d like to speak to you outside the castle, like we did before.

Sure, I have some time.

Wonderful. Please wait a moment outside the castle grounds.

*We head back outside the castle, which triggers the next scene*

It wasn’t long.

Thank you for your kindness. One is bound by so many obligations. Since we last spoke, I have been thinking. What can I, Alicia Marquelay, ever really accomplish? Marquelay is a small country. Small and weak. In order to protect this land, I must become stronger.

Marquelay has done pretty well against Dulkheim and Valkania for a “small and weak” country. They are allied with Ordinale, of course, but the fact remains that they’ve driven off all attempts by both regional superpowers to invade them.

It was largely thanks to Team No Angeles, of course, but still.

So, Crevanille, please tell me… how did you become so strong?

All right, so first off, there’s this spellstone called Thorned Power. You take that, and you combine it with a little something called Vampire…

How do you maintain that strong will that allows you to put your life at risk for the sake of the world?

Oh, you meant inner strength! That’s different. It’s because he’s being controlled by a vague collective of weirdos on a dead comedy forum.

It’s for the future.

So many things are reflected in your eyes…

I, too, would like to see the future as you envision it. Crevanille, you are always showing me new horizons. Up until now, I have questioned what I can do for my country. Maybe you are the answer to that question. I-- No, let’s leave it at that.

And you on me, as well.

Thank you so much, Crevanille.

*Alicia leaves*

Check another character box off, because we’re done with Alicia.

After that, I spend time chatting with Hien. That takes us up to sunset on the final vacation day, which means that Sydney has finally emerged from whatever pocket dimension she’s been hiding in.

It’s grown on me.

Ah, that’s wonderful to hear. Strange… Since we talked about my hometown, the color of the sunset almost seems… different somehow. It doesn’t only remind me of my hometown anymore. It makes me think about where I am now, too. And this is a far different place from my home island…

Maybe you could have two hometowns.

If her home island was Lamplast, then she’s going to need a second home.

That might be just the thing. One home here, one home there.

If that happens, you can always come back.

Haha. You put it rather succinctly. Yes, the island is far away, but if I miss this place, I can always come back. After all, at least someone here needs me… *sigh* I’m rambling again.

…I’d prefer not to, sir. We should go.

I think this is just her generic “the event is over now” line, which is why it sounds like a weird non sequitur here.

*We’re automatically taken back to No Angeles*

*Sydney starts to walk away*

Master, I suggest presenting Sydney with our gift.

We can choose between “*walk away*” and “I have something for you…”

I have something for you…

Something for me?

*Crevanille gives her the Sunset Quartz*

Y-You’re giving this to me?

I thought it was perfect for you.

You thought of me…? Th-Thank you so much… When the light hits the stone, it seems to fill my room up with the color of the sunset.

That’s Sydney finished off.

The last thing we need to do for ending unlocks (aside from Hien and Magnus’ things) is track down Pamela’s tea set.

A few members of Alten Schwart are still hanging around Ordinale. If you recall, this is where we discovered Santos training as a baker. Ned is also here, as he joined the Ordinale Army during the war against Valkania.

Have you seen Pamela’s tea set?

[Santos]: Pamela’s tea set…? Oh, right, that pretty one. Yeah, someone took it after we all broke up. I forget who it was, though. Sorry.

Bah, you’re useless! …Also, could I get a loaf of multigrain? Maybe some brioche?

[Santos]: Ned might know. He was always pretty close to Pamela. …How’s she doing, anyway?

She’s the same as always.

[Santos]: Haha, that’s what I figured.

Okay, so Santos wasn’t much help, but he did point us to Ned. Ned has thankfully moved from the frontlines and is hanging out near the Inn, so we don’t have far to go to find him.

Ned! You said you were going to your hometown. Is this it?

[Ned]: Naw, my hometown’s Sunsail, in Marquelay. But not long after I got back, I had a fight with my pops and left. So now I’m just wandering, looking for work. You know. So, where’s the boss and Pamela and Regina? Weren’t they with you?

Are you kidding me? Did we really never tell him about Dixon, Regina, and Stan?

To tell you the truth…

*Remus explains for the umpteenth time that Dixon and Ronaldo are dead… although I guess he doesn’t need to include Regina in that explanation anymore*

[Ned]: Is that what happened? Losing someone outside of battle sounds kind of surreal. Well, at least you guys are okay. Oh yeah, have you met Santos? He is training at the bakery.

We are well aware.

Have you seen Pamela’s tea set?

[Ned]: Tea set? Ah, that one she took a liking to. When the brigade dissolved, I remember someone taking it. Oh, you already asked Santos? Well, then… what about Josef? He helped Pamela out all the time.

”Somewhere in Ordinale” would normally not be very helpful, but this place only has like 3 locations we can explore and we’ve already been through two of them (this screen and the Inn).

If you head to the upper level of Ordinale, you’ll spot somebody hanging out in the back near the Niche Shop. This is Josef. I think he only appears during this questline, since I routinely visit the Niche Shop for Chips Sets and I’ve never encountered him before.

As a reminder, the path to the Niche Shop is through the alley just north of where Ned was.

[Josef]: Sorry, I’m a little teary-eyed… I just heard what happened to the boss. Heh… Remember when we broke up, and I didn’t see you off? I was crying then, too. Total mess.

This is the guy that Bauer was ribbing in Marquelay for taking off without saying goodbye.

[Josef]: And I missed my last chance to tell the boss goodbye… So stupid of me… Is everyone else okay? Nobody seems to know where Pamela is…

We’re helping her find her tea set.

[Josef]: Huh? Pamela’s looking for her tea set? In that case, wait here ONE second! When the group split up, I took this. Please, give it back to her.

*We obtain a Porcelain Tea Set*

[Josef]: Can you give it to her? I’m counting on you, Crevanille.

Tea Set in hand, we teleport back to No Angeles. We don’t need a vacation day for this final Pamela event. We just need to use the Tea Set next to her in the lab.

Master retrieved it. Please, inspect it at your leisure.

My! It IS! It’s the same one! This is my tea set!

I can’t believe you managed to find it. Nicely done, Crevanille. Pamela, how about a little break time?

Absolutely! Thank you, Crevanille. Please, come join us.

Is it me, or does this tea taste better now?

The tea set makes all the difference.

…Haha, you’re right! Maybe it does.

Now, I thought Pamela threw this tea set away? How did you find it?

The former members of Alten Schwart assisted us. And each of them inquired after your status, Pamela.

Me? I see… So, that’s why they kept it safe.

Josef kept it and made use of it. But his thoughts of you prompted him to send it back with us.

……

Clearly, some things DO stick with you!

Haha! We tore down your philosophy on life!

…When the village was gone, I hated to lose all those reminders of the life I’d had there. I just kept telling myself, “They’re gone. You can’t help it. Everything goes away.” I suppose that eased the pain a bit…

A lot of people love you, Pamela. That’s good. Good for you. You met an old friend you never thought you’d see again. That’s life. You never know which way the ball’s going to roll.

You’re right. That’s how it is. Sometime soon, I want to have Josef, Ned, and Santos over for tea, with this tea set.

That sounds fun.

It does, doesn’t it? It’ll be just like old times. Well, in any case, would you care for another cup?

*After leaving the lab*

Pamela appears quite happy. We did well to locate her tea set.

And. We. Are. DONE… with vacation events. The only two character story things left now involve Hien and Magnus. Hien needs to be included in a particular battle. As for Magnus, his moment is coming up soon.

There’s no Party Vote this time. We have one last character to recruit, at which point we will have a final vote for the endgame party. So, for now, we stick with Magnus, Remus, and Meline.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Got everyone but Sydney and Maggie(but have a save state an inch away from giving her the lover's oak).
I also learned a neat trick for dealing with my ghosts of savestates past issue, if I savestate a black screen, there are no ghosts, so walk into the kitchen, hit F2, bam, no need to reset and redo furloughs when they end with Dulkheim and Valkania scenes.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

MythosDragon posted:

Got everyone but Sydney and Maggie(but have a save state an inch away from giving her the lover's oak).
I also learned a neat trick for dealing with my ghosts of savestates past issue, if I savestate a black screen, there are no ghosts, so walk into the kitchen, hit F2, bam, no need to reset and redo furloughs when they end with Dulkheim and Valkania scenes.

I've had success with just making sure to save and then reloading if it does it. It's apparently some kind of weird burn-in issue. It seems to kick in after about 5 or 10 minutes of play time, but is still fixable by opening and closing the quick save/load menu. After about 20 minutes or so, however, there's a permanent burn-in that won't go away by doing that. When that happens, I have to reload a save and then get to the scene in question before an image has had a chance to stick.

It's a super weird quirk.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Psycho Knight posted:

I've had success with just making sure to save and then reloading if it does it. It's apparently some kind of weird burn-in issue. It seems to kick in after about 5 or 10 minutes of play time, but is still fixable by opening and closing the quick save/load menu. After about 20 minutes or so, however, there's a permanent burn-in that won't go away by doing that. When that happens, I have to reload a save and then get to the scene in question before an image has had a chance to stick.

It's a super weird quirk.

For me It use the same layer as my save data image. On console that's just the inn or bed, but for some reason with PPSSPP its either pitch black or your most recent save state. When it's black nothing's wrong, but when its save state it gets burned in, so I had the crazy idea, can I just force it to use the black layer? And it worked.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Update 31: To Evil or Not to Evil

After heading to bed on the final vacation day, the game throws us right back into the plot. Deringer seems to once again be nagging Lumis about politics.

If I may be so bold, I disagree with you.

What!? You don’t want to stop Ludwig from becoming a dictator?

You guys keeping talking like Ludwig isn’t already a dictator. He’s President, Supreme Commander of the Military, he has the ability to pass legislation and laws without parliament, and political opponents of his are mysteriously winding up dead or conveniently embroiled in some kind of scandal. How exactly do you plan to “stop” him at this point?

There are other ways to prevent that. You’re talking about gutting Dulkheim’s entire government because of one man.

It’s true we wouldn’t remain a completely independent nation. But as part of the federation, we would retain some autonomy.

…Let me put things another way.

And I haven’t even gotten to the Senate yet. A legislation in which Marquelay and Ordinale hold half the seats? That’s no different from them directly ruling over us.

But they’ve stated that the Senate will feature equal seating in the future.

Haha, “the future.” If there was some set time limit to this--say, two years--I would accept that.

Maybe they decide, “you know, we LIKE having the final say on all your laws.” What a nightmare. Dulkheim’s problems should be resolved by Dulkheim and its citizens, not by other nations.

Have I mentioned that I like Lumis? This is what I was getting at in my leadup to a rant. Federalism is littered with incredibly obvious problems of its own.

Of course, you probably already know that nothing Lumis just said will matter, because Alicia and Chris are just going to force Dulkheim into Federation anyway. Not like they’ll be able to refuse after we kick their rear end.

What will you do if you lose this war, though?

As a top member of the military, I’d undoubtedly be charged for war crimes. The politics are out of my hands.

Ugh…

But then, losing isn’t exactly my number one plan. …I think we’re done here. If you’ll excuse me.

*Lumis starts to leave*

Wait! There’s something I still want to ask you.

That’s unrelated. Please don’t let it bother you.

B-But it talks about those spells creating a world crisis.

We understand all that. And actually, our army’s summoning unit was decimated by Valkania firing their spellcannon. So, on our end, there isn’t anything to worry about.

Ah, yes. I’m sure Ludwig has no plans at all to rebuild that unit or anything. Come on, Lumis. You’re smarter than that.

Now, truly. I have another appointment. I must be off.

*We leave Dulkheim and immediately cut to Valkania*

[Public Official]: A democracy!? But that’s how Dulkheim does things!

[Public Official #2]: That’s true… We wouldn’t be a kingdom anymore. But there’s a certain appeal to retaining our autonomy, right?

”You know, minus the ability to write our own laws or determine policy… and also we have to follow the rules that all the other countries decide to establish whether we like them or not. But other than that, Autonomy!” :v:

[Public Official]: Hmmm…

I’ve considered that point. It’s frustrating, but we did lose the war. We have to make concessions. And frankly, the opportunity to keep our independence is fairly enticing.

[Public Official #2]: Then…?

[Public Official]: We’d be glad to lend you whatever help you need, of course, Dame.

My thanks. His Majesty sacrificed himself to give us this opportunity. I refuse to let it go to waste.

And now we hear from the big man himself. President Shmitler

*Lumis enters*

How was the meeting with the former President, Colonel Lichtmann?

…You seem to already know everything, Your Excellency.

Lumis is a sharp guy. He knows he’s being spied on at all times. Given the “Your Excellency” crack he just made, I get the inkling that Lumis already knows that Ludwig is a dictator and can’t be stopped. He only said that there were ways to stop Ludwig as a means of avoiding agreeing with Deringer and being suspected of scheming.

Given that and the situation, is it safe to assume that you already know my opinion on surrender?

It is the duty of those who are at the top to know what is transpiring around them. But I do have the utmost faith in your, Colonel Lichtmann. You would never do anything that would undermine this country.

Your assessment is correct. Were we to continue fighting this war, we would pay a huge toll, and there is no guarantee that our sacrifice will buy victory. Colonel Lichtmann… What course of action would you take?

You are asking… me? Well, I would attempt to get Marquelay’s aces to join our army.

We are pretty awesome, it’s true.

Without them, Marquelay’s military might would drop considerably.

I am fortunate to have such a wise advisor at my service. Marquelay’s proposal for a ban on summoning spells is a nice bargaining chip for us to have.

However, even then it will be a difficult task. …Considering what you have done to them. If you wanted to put this into play, then it would be necessary for you to issue them a sincere and honest apology.

Personal opinion: I would demand Ludwig and Cargill’s heads as an appropriate “apology.” Crevanille, Frayne, and all the other Ruin Children were subject to gratuitous war crimes and then hunted down/killed after escaping by soldiers and bounty hunters. No amount of “I’m sorry” makes up for that.

That is true. Thank you for your valued input, Colonel.

Don’t mention it, sir. You are too kind.

*Lumis leaves, but we cut to him just outside the office*

But… no summoning spells…

Well then, that was a hell of a night. We’re going to have a lot to talk about with everyone.

[Marquelay Soldier]: The princess would like to speak to you about them forthwith.

Off to the castle we go, where Alicia will tell us everything we already know because I guess Crevanille is just too lazy?

On our way there, I make a stop at the shop. Some new merchandise has appeared at some point between our last check-in and now.

For example, Payton now sells Level 7 and 8 spellstones. There’s not much here that we haven’t already collected from random drops and treasure pickups, but one thing does stand out…

Yes! I’ve been looking for one of these. It’s possible to get it from stealing or enemy drops, but I haven’t been that fortunate.

Wisdom Blade +3, on top of being very useful in its own right, will also teach HP Drain. I slap this right on Crevanille. HP Drain unfortunately isn’t enough to offset a second Thorned Power, but the MP Drain (which he already knows) is enough to offset Wisdom Blade. This gives him an extra 20% weapon damage over Weapon Damage Up and also lets him restore about 30-50 HP whenever he attacks.

Wisdom Armor +3 would be helpful for Magnus in making him more of a tank, but he’s going to need train up MP Drain first. He doesn’t exactly have much of an MP pool.

Finally, there’s some new armour for a few of our characters. Remus already has his ultimate armour and Meline’s is in the next update, but Magnus and Crevanille could use an update. I get a Spriggan Guard for both of them.

Crevanille’s Ultimate Armour is theoretically possible to get, but I’m not sure if I can boost his magic damage high enough for it right at this moment. We need to get 1st in the Spell Damage competition to nab it.

Magnus’ Ultimate Armour is… somewhere? I’m pretty sure we get it during a story mission, but we haven’t reached said mission yet.

Oh, well. We’ll figure it out. For now, let’s press on with story.

Valkania and Iglesias have accepted.

Heh, Dulkheim’s answer, on the other hand, went like this:

There is so much snark dripping off of that response.

Oh, well. War it is then. Are you going to let us off our leash now?

“As regards to your summoning-spells warning, we are willing to forbid their usage. However, we will only do so under the following conditions: Marquelay returns all currently captured Dulkheim soldiers and harbored refugees.”

“The refugees’ crimes will not be prosecuted. However, their return is non-negotiable if you wish us to halt the use of summoning spells.” Considering the overall tone of this, I think it safe to say that Dulkheim won’t be surrendering any time soon.

They desire Master and the others returned to them…

It doesn’t mention them by name, but it’s obvious who they mean. It’s also obvious that they know you’re their greatest threat. They probably hoped to entice you by promising that you won’t be prosecuted should you return.

I love how that’s Ludwig’s idea of an honest and sincere apology. “If you agree to be a trade item, we won’t prosecute you for crimes we made up to publicly cover our asses.”

We do not wish to lose you. But we also understand the import of stopping summoning spells. The choice to leave is yours. Please talk this over among yourselves. I won’t ask for your answer right this moment, but please give us one by tomorrow.

I suggest heading back to Eliza’s villa to discuss the situation.

That’s a lot to digest. We take Yuni’s advice and return to the villa. It’s time to gather up the gang and talk this out.

You should go ahead to the dining room.

*Remus leaves towards the rooms, while Magnus and Meline head to the dining hall. When we try to follow, we get stopped by Levan*

[Levan]: Ah, please wait. Someone came to see you earlier. To be more direct, they asked me to inform you that they would await you outside. They claimed to represent an acquaintance of yours from your time spent in Dulkheim.

This is an odd situation. Who could this acquaintance from Dulkheim be?

:shrug: Tricia?

Right outside is this random NPC. Talking to him reveals that he is the messenger.

[Messenger]: This is a letter from an acquaintance of ours. I was told to make sure that you received it.

*We obtain a Letter from ?*

After the random NPC leaves, we check the letter in our inventory. Unfortunately, we can’t read it at the moment. The description also doesn’t shed any light on who it’s from.

Nothing we can do except head to the dining hall.

I’m caught up on the details. Interesting that Dulkheim would make such an offer…

Not prosecuting the crime of “abandonment”… It’s definitely talking about Crevanille and the others.

But if they stop using summoning spells, that’d help us accomplish our goal, right?

Um, I’m REALLY against this. Did you forget what they did to you at that prison?

That’s…

But we can’t just forget the war with Dulkheim, either.

If you end up siding with them, you will become enemies with Marquelay and Ordinale. It’s rather obvious that you’d be set against them the moment you returned to Dulkheim. And when I say “them,” I also mean “us.” You must consider that you may be fighting against us.

Crevanille, you should ask everyone how they feel about this. You can wait to make the final decision tomorrow.

At this point, we’re free to run around the dining hall and talk with our party members individually. Let’s make the rounds and see what they think.

I will not stop you if you wish to return to that country. But I will remain here if you go. Marquelay is on the side of right, I know it.

Mew… I like you, Master. But I don’t like places I don’t know. They’re scary… If you leave for another country, I’ll have to stay behind… It’ll be lonely if we all split up. Everyone should just stay here and we’ll figure things out!

The typical mercenary chooses his side based on who offers him more value. Dad looked at more than that, though…

I’ve left both the Dulkheim and Valkania Armies at this point! I sound so unreliable when I put it that way… But anyway, if you choose to return to Dulkheim, you can count on me going with you. At the very least, I want to repay the debt I owe you.

Um, so, I know that Vester and Ludwig don’t get along so well. That probably means Ludwig’s an okay guy! Maybe joining forces with him wouldn’t be such a bad idea.

Thank you for that wonderful input, Meline. Then again, I guess I can’t mock her. She knows nothing about Ludwig other than “Vester met with him and doesn’t like him very much.”

I know it’s important to get rid of summoning spells, but that’s not all that matters. You know I’m not exaggerating if I say Marquelay wouldn’t be where it is without you. And if you go, we’re sunk. But if you do choose to go, know it’ll be without me. I owe this nation too much to leave it now.

It makes more sense to continue as we are, beat Dulkheim, then force them to stop that way. All that said… If you choose to go, I’ll follow. This is all just my personal opinion.

This may sound odd, but I kind of believe Ludwig. I don’t think he’s lying. I feel like he’s the kind of man who will both keep his promises and complete his goals. So, it might be the right call to return to Dulkheim…

I don’t know what you’ll decide to do, but I know I can’t go to Dulkheim with you. A certain man is located back there, waiting for his chance to strike at me…

To tell you the truth, I have no idea which path to take here. In cases like this, I’ve found it best to trust your experience.

The overall objective is to stop summoning spells. The path we decide will get us there may not matter… We will all do what we must. I’m sure the same applies to you, eh?

So, there you have it. Those are the consequences if we decide to return to Dulkheim.

This group has absolute trust in Crevanille’s judgements, regardless of any reservations they may have about this whole thing.

Remus is clearly not on board with going back to Dulkheim, but he will still follow Crevanille, or so it seems anyway. If you have done Remus' character story, then he has a change of heart the night after you pick to go back to Dulkheim. Crevanille will meet with Alicia and Remus at the villa, after which Remus will decide to stay in Marquelay. Supposedly (I haven't been able to verify it), Remus will actually go with you on the Dulkheim route if you don't do his character story. Presumably, this is because he has no idea about his sister or that Marquelay is his home country. So be aware that if you did Remus' character story, there is a 100% chance he won't go with you to Dulkheim, despite what he tells Crevanille in the dining hall.

Meanwhile, Frayne and Meline are gullible and think that Ludwig might not be the monster that we all know he is, so they don’t mind trusting him if it means stopping summoning spells.

Vallery, Maggie, and Pamela simply don’t care. Switching allegiance is nothing new for Vallery, while Maggie and Pamela just see this as two paths which lead to the same destination.

Yuni will obviously stick with us, because she is completely devoted to Crevanille.

On the other hand, this group doesn’t subscribe to the “means to an end” idea. Regardless of the necessity of stopping summoning spells, they won’t throw Marquelay under the bus to do it. For Eliza, it has become her home. For Hien, it’s about righteousness. Leona simply doesn’t feel comfortable in strange places and wants all of her friends to stay together. Finally, Magnus and Cargill have a blood feud that Cargill will most certainly win if Magnus joins Dulkheim’s military.

So, yes. If you decide to take the Dulkheim route, you lose about 36% of your major party members and nearly half of your battle party members. You also leave No Angeles, because you obviously can’t stay there when you’ve allied yourself with Marquelay-Ordinale’s enemy.

By extension, that means you can say goodbye to these characters as well.

Oh, and as the conditions stated: It also means that Crevanille’s decision to rejoin Dulkheim would force Kate and Carnos back with him, since they are also escapees/refugees.

It’s a big decision to make with a lot of consequences involved.

*Read the letter from Dulkheim*

This letter comes directly from President Ludwig.

The instructions I sent ahead to Marquelay detailed the treatment of general escapees, and were never meant to encompass one with your kind of talent. For you, I can certainly make an exception. Join me, Crevanille! You will not regret it. And of course, you’ll have carte blanche to recruit anyone else you deem fit.

I can only vow that no such actions will take place again.

*The scene then fades out as Crevanille gets to sleep*

In the morning, our objective is to return to the castle and let everyone know what our decision is.

Yes, I have.

What is your answer?

This is the route split for Modified/Dulkheim. Be aware that you can only do a Dulkheim route playthrough on NG+. This option won’t be available to you if you are on a first playthrough.

The Dulkheim route is the “Evil Route” of this game. It has 6 unique endings that vary in evilness from “The world is saved, but Crevanille is more of an antihero than a true hero”, all the way up to “Crevanille slaughters everyone and becomes a supervillain.”

I’m staying with Marquelay.

As I stated in the OP, this LP is of the Modified route. Unfortunately, I will not have the free time available to do a Dulkheim run by the time the Modified Route has wrapped up.

I will do an extra update that summarizes all the Dulkheim endings, however. I will also include the ending CGs for them. We just won’t be going through them in detail.

Thank you, Crevanille. But it does seem as though there is no choice now other than to fight Dulkheim.

We should prepare to do so, then.

We should tell everyone about the decision, Master.

In this case, “tell everyone” apparently translates to “Go to sleep.” We don’t have any option of gathering the party and filling them in, so all we can do is head to bed.

Of course, that means…

More foresight!

[Dulkheim Captain]: Doesn’t shock me. He was a great leader, and that doesn’t go away. I’m glad such a man is President. He’ll fight alongside us if necessary to protect our freedom.

[Dulkheim Captain #2]: Agreed. We of the advance guard must gain control over Marquelay and live up to the President’s expectations! Tricia, are you ready?

Y-yes…

[Dulkheim Captain]: What’s the matter? I understand you’re nervous, but show a little confidence, eh?

[Dulkheim Captain #2]: You’re our most valuable summoner! Get ready, okay?

”You’re our most valuable summoner! You’re also our only summoner!” :v:

Yes, sir… I’m sorry.

I’m not sure how they plan to enter from Aida Bridge considering that Marquelay controls it. Maybe they plan to fight their way through?

[Dulkheim Captain #2]: But the invasion of Marquelay after that will all depend on you, Tricia.

*The two captains walk away. Tricia starts to follow, but stops for a moment*

If we just did as Marquelay asked, wouldn’t that end the war, too? And that way, I wouldn’t have to fight Crevanille…

Yes, but your glorious leader is too ambitious for that. Also too stupid.

They said they’ll use the route passing through the fort north of Sunsail. Let us head there.

Eliza wasn’t kidding when she said that Marquelay would be finished without Crevanille. These idiots can’t even hold on to a single road without our direct involvement.

Just a reminder, Marquelay only needs to defend a single harbour and one road that is covered by two separate choke points. Yet they can’t even manage to reliably do that on their own.

Whatever. I guess I can’t complain. I was the one begging for us to be let loose on Dulkheim.

Oh, what’s up buddy? Now is not really the time for chit-chat.

I just received word that Cargill has shown up in Marquelay. It seems like he took the bait, and he’s looking for my master at the port.

Really not a great time for this, but I guess Sunsail can manage on its own for a little while. This is like the third time that drat town has been invaded.

*Magnus runs off*

Magnus!

Everyone please stop loving running off on your own! We’re right here! If you just give us a drat second to get a word in edgewise then we’d be able to tell you that we’re down to go with you. Jesus, everybody has to bolt the second they get some kind of news and it always results in them getting surrounded and making things more of a pain in the rear end for us.

Someone give me the option in a game to shoot any party member that tries this poo poo in the leg as they’re running off. We’ll see how long it takes for everyone to smarten up.

*We tell Hien that Magnus is heading after Cargill*

This is dangerous…

What is dangerous, Hien?

It could be a ruse.

Replace “could be” with “100% is”.

Precisely. Do you know who told Magnus that Cargill was at the harbor? I fear that Magnus is the prey now.

Actually, he just suddenly said that out of nowhere. I assumed he was precognizant.

Or maybe… do you think he has a fairy of his own that he’s hiding from us? Like, he’s getting his own foresights that he never tells us about, just like Crevanille? That would be funny.

Magnus is in grave danger!

This is still only speculation, but it’s always better to be prepared. I’ll let you decide how to deal with the situation.

We need to reform the party now that Magnus has darted off on his own. I put Hien in there purely because it seems like the most appropriate choice. As far as I know, Hien doesn’t have to be in the party for this, however.

Head to Marquelia Harbour and do your buffing here. This will mostly be a melee fight, so Magic Shell/Resist aren’t necessary.

Remember that where you enter the harbour from on this screen will determine your starting location on the next screen. In this case, there isn’t really a recommended starting spot. Just go with whichever one you prefer.

:argh: Baker! Goddammit will you do your job and guard at least one freaking location?!

Urgh, you coward! Fight me, Cargill!

We’ll nip all these troublesome buds one by one. Starting with you.

This is why I said that starting location isn’t a big deal. We don’t need to prevent the Dulkheim soldiers from getting into Marquelia like we did last time, so there’s no need to cover both stairways.

Everyone! I’m sorry I fell for the trap.

Save it! We’re here to end this!

Yes, Master!

There are a lot of soldiers bunched up along the pier. Magnus is also currently surrounded, so in a normal playthrough you should focus your attention on clearing out the enemies on one side of him.

I say “normal playthrough” because our Magnus is Wolverine and will simply regen whatever health is lost in battle against the soldiers. I don’t really need to do anything to help him out.

I have Crevanille start marching down the stairs and building towards a Sword Dance by killing the three soldiers in front of him. Remus goes after the archers, who are positioned on the left and right edges of the pier.

Hien gets Protect on Magnus and Meline does her usual thing of summoning Death to harvest the souls of the Dulkheim soldiers one by one.

Once the soldiers around Magnus have been dealt with, he’ll start moving towards Cargill. When he gets close, reinforcements will jump out from the ship to block his path. Two more soldiers will also appear from the direction of Marquelia.

This is what we call “strategy.” You wouldn’t understand.

Split your attention between dealing with the soldiers behind you and helping Magnus clear the two in front of him. They’re nothing special. The spellcaster manages to hit Magnus with Cycle Down, so I have Crevanille cast Cycle Up on him to counter it. Remus then kills the caster before he can try that again.

As for the soldiers behind us, Meline petrifies one of them and then kills the other with Fatal Strike.

Twice, I’ve let you live. This time, I’ll put an end to you!

…I finally get it. I didn’t lose that time. I protected my employer, I survived… I did exactly what I was supposed to do!

No regrets? Then rest in peace!

Not without your tongue, you won’t!

Have someone at the ready with Remedy or some items. Cargill’s basic attacks have a chance at inflicting status effects like Petrify, so you’ll want someone available to heal those if Magnus gets hit by them. Once Magnus actually reaches Cargill, then the battle is pretty much over.

The two of them will proceed to beat the poo poo out of each other on the pier for a while as the rest of our party just stands around and watches, which I like to imagine looks like this:

*Once Magnus has done enough damage to Cargill...*

I planned for everything! P-President Ludwig… I’m s-sorry…

Everyone say goodbye to Cargill. Finally. Thank god we don’t have to watch any more scenes of him being smug, sucking Ludwig’s dick, or doing both at the same time.

Magnus, you look like you’ve had an epiphany.

Yeah. When Cargill took me down with his poisoned blade, I thought I’d lost. But I was wrong. My job was to protect the VIP. Cargill was trying to assassinate the VIP. Only one of us did our job right, and it wasn’t him.

I could have sworn Magnus told us that the person he was supposed to protect got killed. Maybe this is another translation thing.

But all I could think was that I lost the fight. I thought he’d beaten me, and I wouldn’t listen to anybody who tried to tell me otherwise. But you guys listened to me. You risked your lives to save mine. And you helped me figure it out.

Huh, I guess revenge really does solve everything. Vallery’s character story was totally wrong.

Fine friends you’ve got, Magnus.

Thanks, Master!

*Success! Magnus’ fate has been changed!*

Magnus also learns his final limit ability here, assuming you have unlocked his Level 2 Limit. Multi-Attack lets him attack a second time if he lands a critical hit. It has a base 25% chance to activate.

Well, I should head back to the villa. If you need my help, I’ll be there for you anytime.

Yay! Now we have to go back to the villa and stick Magnus back in the party.

Also, you may be wondering about Magnus’ alternate fate. It’s not a very long scene, but basically if you head off to Sunsail instead of helping Magnus, then some guy on the pier will later tell you and your party that a dead body washed up on the shore a little while ago with two swords strapped to his back.

So, yes, it is possible to get Magnus killed after he joins the party. Something to be wary of.

Speaking of Sunsail, we should probably go deal with that whole situation now. Make sure you buff up before using the transgate.

……

[Dulkheim Captain]: Tricia! Please try to focus! You’re the most important part of this mission! We can’t win this without your summoning powers. Hurry and get going!

… I can’t do this…

[Dulkheim Captain]: What?

[Dulkheim Captain]: Tricia, there’s something you don’t know.

What?

[Dulkheim Captain]: Marquelay wants the elimination of summoning spells, lest the world fall into some kind of darkness. And it isn’t enough to just stop using the spells… They must be done away with completely. Do you understand what that means for a summoner like yourself?

Summoning-spell contracts can’t be broken unless… the caster dies.

[Dulkheim Captain]: That’s right. If Marquelay wins, you die. If you understand and want to live, then get to your station!

……

What’s up losers?! Didn’t think we’d appear out of thin air, did you?

Master, it’s the Dulkheim Army. Prepare for battle.

There are a ton of Dulkheim soldiers on the field. Normally this would be a prime opportunity for stuff like Sword Dance and Earthquake. Unfortunately, Tricia is also on the field and killing her will result in a Mission Failure.

This was a tricky mission for me because I had to keep Crevanille from killing anyone, which is completely against his entire purpose. Triggering Sword Dance could easily lead to a second one happening which ends up killing Tricia.

So I chart a path for him to Tricia, then have Magnus dash ahead to clear the way. Thankfully, there’s only an archer and a captain in the way. If Magnus can get over the bridge in time, then he can stop those southern enemies from blocking Crevanille.

Remus will snipe at the spellcasters and archers on the other side of the river. Meline deals with the soldiers right in front of the starting location, then goes back to her usual death casting.

When you get close enough, Yuni will draw attention to Tricia’s location.

……

Tricia seems grief-stricken. Can we help her somehow?

Keep picking off soldiers and focusing on the spellcasters and archers. You don’t have to worry about them attacking Tricia, but they will harass your party and make it harder to take out the melee soldiers. If you are having trouble, then try using the bridge on the right as a choke point while you take care of the ranged units.

Once Crevanille reaches the bridge, a scene will trigger.

Decipering… [sic] She’s saying, “Kill me because I’m a summoner.” We have to let her know that she doesn’t have to die, Master.

*send back “We can cancel contracts.”*

You can also choose to say nothing and just keep fighting, if you truly hate her for some weird reason.

What? Really!? ……

Tricia says that we should pretend to kill her. Can we do that?

We have to.

Understood. Let’s begin.

The victory conditions will now change. We just need to “kill” Tricia by having Crevanille attack her like normal.

Reinforcements keep appearing from behind Tricia, but they shouldn’t pose too much of a challenge for Crevanille to get through. Just focus on getting into strike range of Tricia.

Might have overdone it a little, Crevanille.

Ahhh!

*Tricia falls over*

[Dulkheim Soldier]: Tricia! drat it, this operation is a failure with the summoner gone!

At this point the Dulkheim soldiers just need to be mopped up. Some of them will attempt to flee to the north, but doing so shouldn’t impact your rating. Just clean up the remainder as quickly as you can to keep that Bonus Gauge up.

Really? Phew, that was hard… Thanks, Crevanille. You’ve been saving me an awful lot. So, is it true? You can really cancel my summoning contract?

Of course! He would never lie.

Okay!

Let’s go back to the villa.

*We fade out as we are automatically brought back to the villa*

It feels so strange… The connection I had to my power… I can’t feel it anymore. I guess I really can’t do summoning again.

How are you feeling?

I’m feeling great! But is this safe for Crevanille?

Just need a little rest.

So, that means you’re NOT okay.

What? No, it doesn’t mean that. We just need a little rest, that’s all. No big deal.

I mean, you’re forcibly going in to my mind, so it only makes sense. But even with that, you’ll keep doing it… for the world.

That’s right.

How many more summoners are there in Dulkheim other than you, Tricia?

Ah, excellent. Almost there!

Would President Ludwig agree to have his summoning contract canceled?

:shrug: I ‘unno. Do we care what he wants?

It may come down to a fight. But fortunately, Ludwig likes to come to the front lines for troop morale. There should be a chance to reach him soon.

What will you do, Tricia? Will you come with us?

Uh…

Join us. It’ll be fun!

:stare: Join us…

Thank you, Crevanille. That means a lot to me.

Fighting would mean going up against her former friends and allies. Of course she’s hesitant. This is not to mention that the army thinks she’s dead. Probably best to hide her for now, anyway. I’ll have Levan prepare a room.

Th-Thank you. Thank you so much.

Well, let’s decide what we’re doing and who’s going to do it.

*Crevanille falls to one knee*

…Crevanille? Are you okay?

…Forget what I said earlier about being fine.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 30, 2021

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Psycho Knight posted:

The two of them will proceed to beat the poo poo out of each other on the pier for a while as the rest of our party just stands around and watches, which I like to imagine looks like this:

Hahaha, that's amazing.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

loving FINALLY.
One down, Ludwig to go. Lumis may live after a wedgie, he's not that bad.

(Should we add Deringer to the list? I don't remember if he pulled anything to us)

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

One of the reasons I'm so enamored with this game is because of how funny the Dulkheim route is.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Psycho Knight posted:

Not a fan of tea, personally.

Then perish :cop:

quote:

This is what we call “strategy.” You wouldn’t understand.

Ahahaha, even now he's such a smug douchebag :allears: I might actually miss him... a little.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

This group has absolute trust in Crevanille’s judgements, regardless of any reservations they may have about this whole thing. Remus is clearly not on board with going back to Dulkheim, but he will follow Crevanille anyway and fight against his sister/homeland because… friendship?

The Official Complete Guide says that this is not correct; Remus does not join on the Dulkheim route. :eng101:

Edit:

Psycho Knight posted:

Along the way, we pop into the Ruined Village for a quick hidden scene with Meline.

This was back in update 30, but on checking, I believe this scene was supposed to be for unlocking Meline's third limit ability.

Melomane Mallet fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 30, 2021

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Melomane Mallet posted:

The Official Complete Guide says that this is not correct; Remus does not join on the Dulkheim route. :eng101:

Edit:

This was back in update 30, but on checking, I believe this scene was supposed to be for unlocking Meline's third limit ability.

As to the first thing: I've looked into this as best I can. If you choose the Dulkheim route, Remus will have a sudden change of heart during the night and won't actually go with you in the morning, despite telling you that he would during the group scene. Him telling Crevanille that he would go with him is not a translation error, though. In the Japanese version, Remus does indeed say "僕はついていきます。" English - "I will follow (you)."

This change of heart, however, happens because of Alicia, who visits Crevanille during the night before he leaves for Dulkheim (Remus comes to his room at night to lead him downstairs to the Princess). From what people online have said, Remus will apparently follow you into the Dulkheim route if you don't do his character story (presumably because he never finds out that Alicia is his sister and that Marquelay is his homeland).

Unfortunately, I cannot test the validity of that because I no longer have a save file from before Vacation 7 (when we completed his story). I definitely don't have a save file from before we started doing his character story at all (which would have been way back in Vacation 1 or 2). Every playthrough of the Dulkheim route I can find online (English and Japanese) has Remus knowing that Alicia is his sister, meaning that the person playing did Remus' character story.

I will edit in a correction about him joining, but for now I'll have to also mention that it's a toss-up as to whether or not he joins you if you ignore his character story.

Either way, thanks for looking that up.

As for the thing with Meline: That is true, but it only happens if she has her second limit ability. Our Meline has yet to get that.

vilkacis posted:

Then perish :cop:

Ahahaha, even now he's such a smug douchebag :allears: I might actually miss him... a little.

:argh: It's just flavoured water! If I wanted that I could pick from any number of options both hot and cold.

The funny thing about that quote to me is that he says this while standing at the end of a pier in the heart of enemy territory. He has completely cornered himself and has no means of escape if things go tits up, which apparently counts as a strategy to him.

Even if he had managed to jump onto a ship and try to flee that way, it is well known that our team has several spellcasters who could simply light the ship on fire as it tries to leave.

Despite all that, Cargill still smugly assumes that everything is going according to his plans.

This is good. I only wish we had a more bloodied and beaten version of Cargill's character sprite to use.

Also, shudder at the thought of Cargill as a "family man."

MythosDragon posted:

One of the reasons I'm so enamored with this game is because of how funny the Dulkheim route is.

I normally champion the inclusion of a "gently caress Everyone, Burn Everything" route, (or whatever the hell I called it last time) because it gives me an out for when I hate the characters that the main route sticks me with.

But I usually find that the games that include those kinds of routes will have a likable main cast that I don't want to completely slaughter (barring maybe one or two of them). The games with a majority of cast members that I hate will usually not give you an "Evil" option.

One of the only exceptions I can think of is Suikoden IV. I killed the poo poo out of a certain someone during a second playthrough.

Omobono posted:

loving FINALLY.
One down, Ludwig to go. Lumis may live after a wedgie, he's not that bad.

(Should we add Deringer to the list? I don't remember if he pulled anything to us)

Eh, Deringer is a corrupt rear end in a top hat, but no more so than any typical politician. There's no evidence that he was assassinating political rivals or spying on people with the military like Ludwig is doing. He was also enough of a moderate to push back against the idea of going to war with Valkania for the lols (until Ludwig/Vester pulled some strings and made the Trockmere incident happen). Also, he seems genuinely concerned about the prospect of summoning spells causing some kind of major crisis. Granted, that could simply be because he's not President anymore and is trying to get Lumis to go along with him on anything that could stimmy Ludwig's power.

He was President during the whole "Crimes Against Humanity" thing with the Ruin Children, but all evidence points to that being a Ludwig/Cargill affair. There was no suggestion that Deringer personally ordered it.

We probably won't get the chance to kill him one way or the other. Deringer's not a fighter or a smug blowhard like Ludwig is. Especially now that he's not President anymore, it's very doubtful he would leave Dulkheim's capital and go to the front lines of an ongoing war.

cardinale posted:

Hahaha, that's amazing.

Glad someone likes it! It always takes me a shamefully long time to put together joke images like this because I suck at artistic things.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 30, 2021

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

As to the first thing: I've looked into this as best I can. If you choose the Dulkheim route, Remus will have a sudden change of heart during the night and won't actually go with you in the morning, despite telling you that he would during the group scene. Him telling Crevanille that he would go with him is not a translation error, though. In the Japanese version, Remus does indeed say "僕はついていきます。" English - "I will follow (you)."

This change of heart, however, happens because of Alicia, who visits Crevanille during the night before he leaves for Dulkheim (Remus comes to his room at night to lead him downstairs to the Princess). From what people online have said, Remus will apparently follow you into the Dulkheim route if you don't do his character story (presumably because he never finds out that Alicia is his sister and that Marquelay is his homeland).

Unfortunately, I cannot test the validity of that because I no longer have a save file from before Vacation 7 (when we completed his story). I definitely don't have a save file from before we started doing his character story at all (which would have been way back in Vacation 1 or 2). Every playthrough of the Dulkheim route I can find online (English and Japanese) has Remus knowing that Alicia is his sister, meaning that the person playing did Remus' character story.

I will edit in a correction about him joining, but for now I'll have to also mention that it's a toss-up as to whether or not he joins you if you ignore his character story.

Either way, thanks for looking that up.

I'll go over the text in the book's Dulkheim route later tonight and see if there's any mention of this so we can get a definitive answer.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Psycho Knight posted:

I think this is the first time we’ve gotten a good look at Diana from the front. Personally, I was surprised to see her wearing a skirt. Up until now, I had imagined her Royal Guard outfit featured pants.

Considering the art for female characters in the game, I'm surprised she's wearing a normal top/coat. Or any top for that matter.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Melomane Mallet posted:

I'll go over the text in the book's Dulkheim route later tonight and see if there's any mention of this so we can get a definitive answer.

So: these are the only parts of the Official Complete Guide that mention characters that stick with you. I know the first one straight up says Remus leaves the party, and the second is from the ending section and probably deals more with endings that recruitment (if you want to call it that). At this point, unless I see visual proof, I'm going to say Remus leaving is unavoidable.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I've started trying to hobble together my update so I just need to toss on the ending later, and since I chose D-PT, I can't rib a portrait from PK, so any advice on how to make a backgroundless 100x100 image of her face?

While I'm at it, any advice for what images to actually upload? just realized I transcribed like 20 screenshots and uploaded less than 5.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 1, 2021

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Psycho Knight posted:

:argh: It's just flavoured water! If I wanted that I could pick from any number of options both hot and cold.

Everything you drink is flavoured water! Except for the unflavoured water!!

MythosDragon posted:

I've started trying to hobble together my update so I just need to toss on the ending later, and since I chose D-PT, I can't rib a portrait from PK, so any advice on how to make a backgroundless 100x100 image of her face?

Crop image to a square at around the same proportions as the ones in the thread. Select and delete the background with magic wand tool if you have an image with a solid(ish) background, lasso tool otherwise. Resize to 100px. Save as png.

quote:

While I'm at it, any advice for what images to actually upload? just realized I transcribed like 20 screenshots and uploaded less than 5.

You should generally show off when something happens on screen. It's also nice to highlight any particularly interesting/good lines, or just break up any particularly long sections of text. But if it's all dialogue then you can... mostly just let it stay dialogue.

e: had a quick look and this is already transparent. So it just needs a quick crop and resize.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 1, 2021

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

vilkacis posted:

Everything you drink is flavoured water! Except for the unflavoured water!!

Crop image to a square at around the same proportions as the ones in the thread. Select and delete the background with magic wand tool if you have an image with a solid(ish) background, lasso tool otherwise. Resize to 100px. Save as png.

You should generally show off when something happens on screen. It's also nice to highlight any particularly interesting/good lines, or just break up any particularly long sections of text. But if it's all dialogue then you can... mostly just let it stay dialogue.

e: had a quick look and this is already transparent. So it just needs a quick crop and resize.

Thank you for that, the closest I got myself is 100/101.

And proud to say, since I already took a screenshot of every line I'd need, all I really need to do is transcribe and paste faces, so this might actually be a lot easier than I thought.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Doing a double update here, because next week is brutal for me. There may not be another update until next weekend. That gives people more time for the party vote, though.

Update 32: Gunboat Diplomacy

Crevanille had a bit of an oopsie at the end of the last update. The contract annulment process seems to take a pretty hefty toll on him.

Oh, Master, you woke up! I’m so relieved!

Do you remember what happened? You collapsed after you canceled Tricia’s summoning contract.

The strain you put on yourself after each cancellation is high. Eventually, the strain will get more and more. There may come a day when you won’t wake up…

It’s a risk I have to take.

I know you’re committed to this, but that doesn’t mean--

Pamela and I have been looking into finding some other way, but we haven’t come up with anything.

Oh, also, that pendant you were wearing broke when you collapsed.

You mean Bryntir’s?

Yes, the one he left you.

Interestingly, when I picked it up, I found it was actually a locket. This was inside.

*We obtain a Ruins Map*

This appears to be a ruins map.

Yes, and it’s one that we haven’t visited yet.

Crevanille, why don’t we go check it out?

The map is pointing to the northern part of Klasdahl.

We’ve got our next destination. The scene fades out as Crevanille gets a little sleep, then we get strapped and head for Klasdahl.

We should move on.

On the first screen north of the Klasdahl crossroads, there will be a small lake. Yuni will tell us that this is the direction of the ruins, according to Bryntir’s map. Head to the trees and we’ll be taken to…

A completely new area.

This place has a lot of different paths, but most of them are either dead ends or loops. There are a few easily avoidable monsters hanging around, but nothing we haven’t seen before.

You want to head south, then west, then south again. It’s up to you if you want to just bulldoze through the enemies in your way or circle around them.

As you move further down the screen, you’ll want to hook to the east again until you hit the edge. From here, you can head south to the next screen.

We find the doors to the ruins on this screen, but there are likely going to be enemies in your way that you’ll have to deal with, since there is only one path and it’s very narrow.

There is a series of wooden bridges that lead further to the west, but don’t bother taking them. The area they lead has enemies roaming around but nothing else of importance. The best you might hope to find is a random sparkly item point on the ground somewhere.

Just head in through the big ominous ruins door.

This place was thoroughly checked by Bryntir, but there could still be unknown dangers. Let us proceed with caution.

Another small area with a bunch of enemies wandering around. There’s no need to fight any of them, since the next main mission is up ahead and is a royal pain in the rear end. You’re better off saving your resources.

The one neat thing about this place is that it seems to suggest that the monsters managed to get in here by tunneling through the ground. Maybe that’s how they managed to get into the Ruins of Hope, as well.

If you head northeast from the entrance and hook around to the left, you’ll find another set of doors that leads to a decidedly man-made area.

Head through the hallways, but stop right before you move to the next screen. This is where you want to do your buffing. You won’t be dealing with spells, so Magic Shell isn’t required this time.

As a suggestion, you may want to equip someone with MOV Up spellstones. If you want to score some treasure in this upcoming mission, you’re going to want a fast character.

Unfortunately for me, Lightspeed Eliza wasn’t voted into this party. Magnus will have to do, I guess, since he is a little faster than Crevanille.

As soon as we enter, we get a scene of a Werecat monster staring down a really long hallway. A spellcannon is pointed right at her, with a clear groove in the floor to mark its attack range.

There are monsters in here, too. They must have come in through that hole in the wall back there. I don’t think anything’s noticed us yet, though.

*The Werecat steps forward a bit, which causes the spellcannon to activate*

*The Werecat moves forward a bit more, then looks around a bit in confusion*

*Then she gets vaporized by the spellcannon*

This is a defense mechanism. We will need to deactivate it before we can continue.

This mission can be completed very easily, as long as you are willing to lose out on treasure and possibly a Mission Complete.

The hallways zigzag up and down the screen. There is one spellcannon positioned in each hallway, for a total of three. Attached to the spellcannon is a pipe with an energy supply unit.

Unfortunately, you’ll also notice that there is an orange line leading from the energy unit to a nearby treasure chest. If you destroy the energy unit, the treasure chest gets destroyed. If you destroy the spellcannon, then the energy unit will be destroyed, which will then destroy the treasure chest.

That means you need to have one of your characters run up the hallway, circle around the spellcannon, and open the treasure chest before you destroy any piece of it.

There are also swordsman-type Guardians littered throughout the area. They hide from the spellcannon in little alcoves. Not because they are trying to avoid damage, of course. They do it purely to make it harder for your characters to hide in there.

The Guardians will actually be healed by the spellcannon blasts, so they benefit from standing around in the crossfire.

The cannons need to charge for a little bit before firing, so you’ll have a decent amount of time to run through the first hallway. The second and third hallways will be a little tougher, since there are more Guardians in the way.

One last tip: Make sure you move the character right up against the wall behind the spellcannons. If the cannon is even slightly within their path, they will automatically turn to attack it, which could result in them destroying it. There is very little wiggle room to get to the treasure chests. No, you can’t walk over the energy supply pipe.

Make sure you pop Dash, but don’t get too trigger happy with it. You’ll need to save some uses of that for the next zone.

In our case, Magnus does the treasure runs while Crevanille deals with the Guardians. Remus positions himself at the end of each hallway and snipes the spellcannons from a safe distance. Meline is in charge of healing Magnus and Crevanille as they get shot by the spellcannon (which deals about 250-500 damage with each hit depending on Resist and your defences).

Magic is unfortunately useless in this mission, since the Guardians are extremely resistant to status effects (like Death) and will nullify elemental magic (or take very little damage from it).

So, what about the rewards themselves?

Almost entirely garbage. Elixir Vitae isn’t bad, but you’ve probably been stockpiling those for a while since they are the Megalixirs of this game and thus “Too valuable to use.” :airquote:

Dandy Book is okay, but nothing special. ARP Up can just be purchased outright at this point in the game.

Unfortunately, I think you need to get these chests in order to get a Mission Complete here.

Don’t care about Mission Complete? Then go ham and wreck the spellcannons or energy units with ranged attacks/Sword Dance. You’ll save yourself a lot of headache.

There is a save point here, behind the last spellcannon. For the love of God, make sure you use it. We’re heading into another mission now that can be just as irritating as this one.

Before you proceed, reapply your buffs.

This is… really big.

After Magnus comments on the spellcannon, the blue gems positioned around the boss arena will turn red for a second. Guardians will then pop into existence just in front of them. These things are enemy spawners.

There are five of them in the area. One is behind the spellcannon, while the other four are positioned in rooms on the left and right side of the firing range.

Also, you see how the floor is glowing in that side room? That means it will damage your characters over time and heal the Guardians as long as you/them are standing on it. Fun stuff.

There’s also a treasure chest here that is linked to the giant spellcanon. Unlike the last three, this one has something very good inside.

That means we’re going to need someone to run up there and nab it before we deal with the boss. Magnus pops Dash and begins the march to it. Remus goes to the nearest room on the left side of the hall to deal with one of the enemy Reinforcement Devices. Crevanille and Meline head to the right side room to deal with the two over there.

Before Magnus can get to the chest, he’ll need to deal with the Guardian and enemy spawner. Make sure that someone is on healing duty for the character that runs to the treasure chest. The giant spellcannon is capable of dealing between 500-750 damage per shot (depending on Resist and your defences), as opposed to the 250-500 of the smaller ones we just fought.

The giant spellcannon is also capable of close range defence. It will switch to close range mode if a character gets through the hallway and enters that circular groove in the floor that surrounds the cannon.

Of course, if you just move the character out of the groove then the attack will miss.

Technically you can turn the hurty floors off by stepping on the red square switches that are nearby, but I don’t feel like it’s worth it. The floors don’t deal enough damage (or heal enough of the Guardian’s HP) to warrant spending time running to them.

The reward for getting behind the giant spellcannon is Dispressor armour. Dispressor is the Ultimate Armour for Meline. What it’s doing inside these ruins, who can say.

Once you have the armour and have destroyed the enemy spawners, you just need to wail on the energy supply or the spellcannon.

Destroying the energy supply won’t destroy the giant spellcannon, but it will prevent it from being able to charge any further attacks (it can still fire one it currently has stored, though).

The main obstacles in this mission are the enemy spawners and Guardians, though. Without them, the giant spellcannon is mostly harmless. Even if you don’t destroy the supply unit, the cannon’s close range attack takes long enough to charge that you can just have your nearby characters move away for a second to dodge it, then move back in to attack. Or, if you have a lot of ranged units (like Remus, Meline, Regina, and Vallery), you can just stand around at a safe distance and go to town.

I don’t like these two missions. They take a long time, restrict Crevanille (since you can’t risk him Sword Dancing the cannons/energy units to death accidentally), and most of the rewards are subpar to worthless.

Mmm, invigorating! Let’s keep going.

At least someone enjoyed it.

Dispressor isn’t a big upgrade over Meline’s currently equipped Moon Dress, but it’s still better. The increased Elemental Resistances is the main reason to equip it.

After I throw that to her, we head to the upper right.

Creepy. Sadly, there isn’t much to find in this room. Most of it is useless to us. The only thing that matters in here is that paper on the desk in the back.

*The letter contains only one phrase: “To the children who shared my fate, I hope these serve you well.”*

This contains information about Angelic essence? The amount of detail in here is incredible.

Bryntir did the research for us.

I’m grateful to him.

Master, let’s take this back to Pamela.

That’s it for Bryntir’s weird trap-rigged bachelor pad. Use the escape spell and then retrace your steps back to the lake north of Klasdahl. After that, it’s back to No Angeles.

Well, my, my, welcome back! Find anything in the ruins?

Frustration and a bunch of crap I could have picked up from the local Target. Oh, and Bryntir’s high-school book report.

You found this in the ruins? Let me see here. … Looks like it’s impossible to split apart or transfer Angelic essence. Hmmm, the Angelic essence is dependent on the power of Astral waves, but if there’s an excess of energy, things won’t react as they should.

Oh, thank you, Crevanille. This is a scientific achievement for the ages! What a study!

You have Bryntir to thank.

You’re right, of course. According to the report, we’re going to need an item that can create an anti-Astral barrier. Was there anything inside the ruins that we could use to make a barrier like that?

Inside those ruins? No. Inside some other ruins? Well…

We do still have that Interdiction Rod that we used against Akyel.

What did you call this? The Interdiction Rod?

We found it in the Ruins of Hope. It’s what Bryntir used to defeat the Angel.

I understand now… This Bryntir really laid down your entire path for you. If I can apply the principles in this report to the Interdiction Rod, then we can ease the strain on you. I’ll speak to Maggie about this right away. Could you give us a night to work on it?

That shouldn’t be a problem. We could use a quick break to restore our various bars and abilities.

Sleeping doesn’t produce any new visions or cutaway scenes, so when we wake up in the morning we just need to head straight back to the lab.

*We obtain the Modified IntRod*

This modified version of the Interdiction Rod actually does the exact opposite of what the rod originally did. Specifically, instead of an anti-Astral barrier, this rod increases your own Astral Power.

Please confirm this for me: this rod will strengthen my powers, as well?

That’s correct. It’s your job to give Crevanille as much support as you can muster!

Thank you, you two.

You’re welcome.

Sure, glad to be of help.

You should be able to safely annul summoning spells now. Thank goodness.

Sweet. We’ve found a way for Crevanille to avoid having to kill himself for the sake of the world. So… what do we do with it?

...Messenger! Are you there, Messenger?!

Ah, there’s a good lad. What news have you of our next plot point?

[Marquelay Soldier]: I have a message from General Baker. The Dulkheim Army is preparing to attack once again.

[Marquelay Soldier]: Lord Ordinale has left toward the fort to counter their attack. From the looks of things, this may be the last battle of the war. The general wanted me to let you know. That is all. If you’ll excuse me.

*The soldier leaves*

Fort Eizenvant is located west of Fort Baltrick from Rebrant. The messenger was right. This will likely be the final battle.

Hien being included in that scene is a hint that this next section is important to his character story. Remus hits the bench so that Hien can join the fun.

I also give him Crevanille’s Spriggan Guard, since he won’t be needing it in a little bit.

That’s because, to prepare for this big decisive battle, I think it’s time we nab Crevanille’s ultimate armour.

To do that, we need to get first in the Spell Damage competition. This is trickier than the physical damage competition, since Crevanille is not primarily a spellcaster.

In order to come in 1st, Crevanille needs to deal more than 622 damage with one spell. We need a few things to get his magic damage jacked up that high. First, I teach him Blast up to Level 2. I then give him a Magic Lv. +3 stone so that he can cast Blast at Level 5. Next, he learns the Magic Up Knack and masters Quick Cast. He already knows Level 5 Fear, which is something else we’ll need.

He also gets Spell Doubling +2 and Skill Effect +3.

With this setup, we have just enough time to cast both a Level 5 Fear spell and then a Magic Up boosted Level 5 Blast spell. If Blast doesn’t do the job by itself, then there’s a chance that Spell Doubling kicks in and causes Crevanille to double cast the spell. Despite the MC saying that the damage has to be done “at once”, Spell Doubling will still count.

After casting Fear to reduce the Guardian’s spell defence, we need to make sure to select the Knack “Magic Up” before casting Blast Level 5.

We have just enough time to cast it by using Quick Cast and Cycle Up.

It does the trick. Just for good measure, Spell Doubling activates and deals an additional 479.

Well, the ranking chart is all screwed up, but the important part is: Up yours, Vester! Get that weak-rear end Harry Potter level poo poo out of here.

For getting 1st in both the Spell and Physical Damage competitions, we get Crevanille’s best armour: Final Guard.

Like the others, the defence boost is nothing major at this stage of the game, but it does even out Crevanille’s spell resistances and give him a bit more Magic protection.

We’ll be back for the rest of the arena stuff once we hit the endgame. For now, we head to Rebrant and start marching to Fort Baltrick.

This is going to be a long trip, although there won’t be many threats along the way.

Once we get back to Fort Baltrick, we pass straight through it by going through the door near where Alfonse got hosed up by Vester.

This path used to be blocked by warring Valkanian and Ordinale soldiers, but Valkania has surrendered, so we’re free to pass now.

We keep following the road, avoiding the terrifying spider crab monster things.

On the next screen, we pass by the ruins where Valkania fired the spellcannon against Ordinale that one time. The sign says that Kilgrid is in that direction.

Continue on to the upper left until you hit Eizenvant Bridge.

Along the way, we spot some Ordinale soldiers preparing to march on Dulkheim. Neat.

After passing through one more field screen, we hit the bridge. Yuni will create a Transgate on the other side of it, allowing us to easily pop back to the villa for saving and healing. I would recommend doing so now, since the next few missions are going to be consecutive. Restocking on items is also a good idea.

Commemorative plaques like these never age well. I’m surprised by how often they are used.

Pass through another bland field screen filled with the typical assortment of monsters. I don’t recommend fighting them, as you don’t want to tire yourself out.

Eventually we come across Chris, leading the charge against Dulkheim.

Hah!

[Dulkheim Soldier]: Gwuh!

*Dies*

Is that it? All right, march!

*The Ordinale soldiers move ahead*

Chris!

Hey, you’re here!

Are these your only front line soldiers?

Not quite. We’re a diversion for the main force, which I’m having travel around this area to reach Dulkhen. Dulkheim’s main force is now located at Fort Eizenvant, so they shouldn’t be able to prevent their capital from being taken. Bwaha.

A sound strategy.

But with you here, I’m freed up to go meet up with my “distraction” forces up ahead. You’ll be sticking around, right?

You know it, bro.

According to my sources, President Ludwig is in this fort right now.

If the President himself is here, does that mean he intends to invade Valkania if he gets a chance?

Yes, that sounds right. That’s yet another reason to be here. For one, they could strike our attack force from behind. For two, without troops stationed along the border, they’d have a free opening to strike at Valkania. It’s a clever tactic. It means the only way to deal with him is to stay near the fort like this.

I’m not sure having the commander/President hiding in a fort that is surrounded by enemy forces is a “clever tactic.” What exactly does Ludwig plan to do from there? If Ordinale sieges the fort, then Ludwig may as well be dead since he can’t give orders to the rest of the army and can’t run the country.

We’ll help you take the fort!

He must be taking a page out of the “Cargill Book of Strategy.” You know, the book that Cargill wrote just before he went to stand at the end of a pier in the middle of enemy territory without any means of escape.

I’m counting on you. Keep pressuring the fort. If you could manage to take out Ludwig, it would help tremendously. As long as he’s safe and in charge, Dulkheim will continue to fight.

*And Chris leaves to go die off-screen… presumably*

If I recall correctly, Ludwig is capable of summoning spells. I did not think we would engage him, but I know we can win.

Just down the road, there’s a sign that will point us to Fort Eizenvant. Don’t even bother going to Dulkhen, you know drat well we won’t be allowed to get there.

[Ordinale Soldier #2]: We haven’t heard back from them quite yet.

[Ordinale Soldier #1]: What the heck is going on?

They got ambushed and killed, obviously. Out of our way, scrubs. Let the A-Team handle this.

Nobody seems to be here… Are the advance troops inside already?

Yuni, sweetie, please try and think before you speak.

I mean, this isn’t even a well done ambush. You may as well have a giant sign over the gate that says “We promise that we aren’t here.”

As soon as we pass under the gate, soldiers pour in from every direction. Big surprise. What genius crafted this master stroke?

It’s an ambush!

Ah, that explains it. Listen, I love Bauer, but he’s no tactician.

……

I know how strong you are. But can you get out of here with just the four of you!?

Dude, those other three people are essentially dead weight. I could easily just Sword Dance everyone here, but I promised not to (intentionally) abuse it until the endgame.

There are a lot of soldiers in the area, as well as some spellcasters scattered about. This would be a good moment for Joint Spells like Earthquake. Hien and Meline do just that, charging and casting a Death Cloud spell on the group of swordsmen in the upper right and eliminating all 3 of them.

Magnus turns around and goes after the soldiers that appeared behind our party. Hien and Meline will need to be protected while they are spellcasting.

Crevanille does what Crevanille is best suited for: Killing everyone in his path on the way to the boss.

Bauer is the main target here, but he’s surprisingly weak considering his appearance. 72 damage is nothing to us and he doesn’t even have Double Strike like the Royal Guards did.

The main danger in this mission is just stun/ATW lock from the sheer number of enemies attacking you at once.

drat it… No! I can’t die yet!

After enough damage is done to Bauer, he will retreat inside the fort. All that’s left after that is straggler cleanup.

Before you go into the fort, make sure you reapply your buffs and heal up. The next mission can be completed super easily, but if you want to fight your way through it like normal then you’ll have to deal with another large group of enemies.

When we try and enter, Chris will run up from behind us.

Christopher! Why are you here?

I hurried back when I heard that a large part of Dulkheim’s army was on its way here. It’s impossible to surround the city without also leaving my troops wide open to an attack. Looks like it was misinformation, though, to confuse us all…

Everyone in this game is really bad at checking their six. Our party included.

We have to finish what we started. If we don’t, the enemy will gather here and take advantage. That would leave not only those who went to Dulkhen in danger, but the people of Valkania, as well. Leave this area to me and go! Go defeat Ludwig and end this war!

But…

There will be significantly more than two hundred men to fight…

It doesn’t matter! Two hundred, a thousand… I’ve got this! Go!

You heard the man. Although, I really wish we could help him out. Can you imagine popping a Sword Dance against that? An entire army, gone.

*The party heads into the fort*

Phew… This is going to be a pretty big test for me, eh?

Hm… If you’re here, that means my death might be near, too, eh?

That depends on you, honestly.

Summoning spells are dangerous!

I know it; I’m a summoner, too. I also know you have to kill me to accomplish your goals. If even one summoner remains, the world will be in peril. So, I wouldn’t fight you for my own sake. However… as an officer of Dulkheim, I am left with no choice but to fight…

Wait, Lumis! We have a way to annul summoning spells without killing you!

I see… I’m afraid I still can’t change my mind, however. I must still fight. Countries fail when their politics have to be controlled by others.

You are overstepping your authority! I will defeat you and help to create the democracy that I truly believe in!

Well, we tried. Kinda. …Okay, not really.

As you can see by the giant mass of red on the map there, we are greatly outnumbered in this fight. There’s a group of spellcasters tucked safely away in the back corner. Bauer is guarding the staircase that Lumis is on and he’s flanked by multiple archers who are protected by wooden barriers.

Joint Spells work wonders here, as long as you can get them charged. The archers make that difficult by sniping you from cover.

Overall, however, this mission is mostly the same as the previous one. Send your melee fighters ahead to take care of the swordsmen and Bauer. Use your spellcaster or ranged units to pick off the enemy spellcasters first, then the archers.

Lumis will spend most of the fight charging a spell of some kind. What spell it is, I have no freaking clue. I didn’t cheese this mission and spent a while dealing with Bauer and the enemy soldiers. During that entire time, Lumis never cast whatever it is he was charging.

The thing is, the only target that really matters in this fight is Lumis, and he is very weak. It is possible to end this entire mission with a bonus gauge of +49/+50 simply by throwing Star Shards at Crevanille and having him use Sword Dance. The first will likely kill enough of the mages and archers to trigger the second, which will then take out Lumis.

I tried it out since I was curious, and our Crevanille wiped out every single enemy on the field, including Lumis, without budging an inch. That’s 15 targets. The only one still standing was Bauer.

I’m sorry, Lumis…

Stop, don’t waste your energy.

Sorry…

*After enough damage, Bauer will retreat up the stairs behind Lumis. Bauer’s defeat causes our Crevanille to pull a Sword Dance, which I couldn’t prevent. Lumis is taken down as a result*

You guys… are really strong…

Surrender.

If I do that, will you promise me to keep everyone safe?

Affirmative It [sic] is not our goal to fight you.

Then I accept. Do it.

Whew… my god…

*After a quick fade out*

Please close your eyes and relax.

Crevanille is holding the Modified Interdiction Rod up as he annuls the contract, but it’s difficult to see from this angle.

We are finished. Master seems to be completely healthy, too. I felt both Master’s and my own power increase with the Modified IntRod. This process should be safe from now on.

With that, I have lost all my power to fight. Looks like this war ends with Marquelay’s victory. And the continent will turn into a federation. I wanted to avoid this at all costs, too.

……

We could have said “What’s wrong with that?”, but that’s a stupid thing to say. There’s a lot wrong with that. I don’t care what the game wants from us, I’m not going to support the “Federation is the greatest thing ever!” argument it wants to make.

Hey, Lumis. I’ve never really gotten politics. If there are that many problems, though, isn’t it your job to make sure things don’t end up awful?

M-My job?

Yeah. It’s people like you who care about the country who should be running things. We just need to work a little harder to ensure that all the bad things you’re thinking won’t happen!

……

You’re right. I need to find a new path that’ll allow me to be involved in this country. That way, I can make a difference. The last remaining summoner is President Ludwig. He’s just above here. You’re going, right?

That’s why we’re here!

I’m sure you know this by now, but don’t underestimate him. He is very, very strong. And I don’t only mean his prowess in battle, but that he fights with an iron will. Be careful, everyone. If you need to, make sure to use that rest area over there.

At no point in this game has Ludwig ever impressed me in any way. It is impossible for me not to underestimate him.

You can do this.

Take Lumis’ advice and rest up by using the bed to the right. Unfortunately, the save point won’t work right now. You’ll just have to hope that you manage to get through this in one run, lest you have to redo this entire fort section a second time.

My best recommendation for this upcoming fight is to have Magic Shell pre-applied. If you have a spellcaster character that can use it in battle, even better.

Before we go after Ludwig, let’s pop in to check on how Chris is holding up. He’ll tell us to go on ahead, but when we head back inside the fort, a scene will occur.

Geez, how many is that, now? One hundred, two hundred… Man, you have to let me rest a little you know?

[Dulkheim Captain]: He’s some kind of monster! He’s defeated nearly three hundred!

*Suddenly, one of the Dulkheim soldiers gets attacked by something*

[Dulkheim Soldier #1]: Hngh!

*Dies*

[Dulkheim Captain]: What happened!?

*Diana proceeds to Power Rangers flip over the group of Dulkheim soldiers while Alfonse just runs up and shanks one of them*

Diana Silverneil, Royal Guard of Valkania!

Alfonse Ordinale, likewise! I fear I’ve kept you, brother.

[Dulkheim Captain]: R-Royal Guards of Valkania!?

Diana! And Alfonse, too!? Are you up to this?

I refuse to just lay in bed on a day like this. Forget me, though. How are you doing?

Chris, your sword seems to have gotten a bit rusty, eh? I’m here for Crevanille. Let me help.

My god…

You should rest for a bit, Christopher.

Oh, shut up. A capable man like myself can do anything!

*Chris and Alfonse proceed to kill two more soldiers*

Hah, this is a great feeling. With you guys here, I can take on the world!

Yay! Chris isn’t going to get killed! Also, we get to see Alfonse again! See? He wasn’t simply written out of the plot. Makes me wonder about Muntzer, though.

Anyway, we’re going to stop here for a second. The final battle with Ludwig won’t take an entire update, but it will be long enough to not fit in the remainder of this update. To be fair, a major moment like this really should have it’s own thing.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 3, 2021

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Update 33: Monster of the Week

This is going to be a major fight, so make sure you apply the full slate of buffs and have healed up at the bed.

Magic Shell makes a world of difference here, just FYI.

Head up the stairs when you’re ready.

President Ludwig. You have no chance here. Surrender now!

Surrender, huh? Do you really think that’s going to happen?

No, but we figured it was good sportsmanship to at least offer.

This isn’t over by any means. All I need do is defeat you to open up the path before me!

He’s chargin’ some poo poo up.

:stare:

That form!

Summoning is a spell used to call beasts from other realms to fight for you. If the summoner is beaten, though, the beasts vanish. That is the spell’s greatest weakness. However… If the summoner cannot fall, then the spell is unbeatable! This is my form!

To place himself within the summoned beast… So, that is his plan.

It’s a very stupid plan. All he’s done is make 2 targets into 1.

I can’t believe I’ve been forced to deal with you directly. But as Marquelay’s biggest weapons, if I can defeat you, then I will have won the war!

Back on that day, it was you who summoned the beast that destroyed Trockmere. And then you tried to kill me because I saw it happen! Yet I care not about any of that! Where are you holding my daughter!?

Hands up if you are shocked to learn that Ludwig was the one that sabotaged peace negotiations with Valkania.

Beyond that, this is the fight that Hien needs to be part of in order to complete his character story. Seeing Ludwig summoning a big monster is the trigger for his memories returning. The reason he fled to Valkania and was being chased by Cargill is because Hien saw Ludwig commit treason against Dulkheim, essentially. Ludwig would obviously not want that little detail escaping to the public, since the mere rumour of it would have likely tanked his run at President.

Also, it seems that they captured Hien’s daughter to use as leverage against him. This is probably why he didn’t tell anyone in Valkania about what he saw as soon as he crossed the border.

Oh, I’m afraid if you want that information, you’ll need to take it from me! Now, come!

Ludwig… or I guess the monster that Ludwig summoned (technically), is a powerhouse. It’s Level 60 and has a wide variety of attacks that it can use at any range.

Killing it is not a huge obstacle to overcome, but actually reaching it is a different story. That stairway is the only way to get to the upper level of the fort where the monster is. The two Dulkheim Captains on the left and right of it are no big deal, but the three of them standing in the middle of the stairs are a surprisingly effective buffer against your melee units.

There are also two casters on the left and right towers, but they should be easy to pick off with ranged or spells. It’s a good idea to get them out of the way quickly, since they like to use buffs on the Dulkheim Captains.

Thank you, Yuni. That doesn’t do anything for us at all, but I appreciate you trying to help.

When you are going up the stairs to deal with the Dulkheim Captains, make sure you manually position your melee fighters so that they walk up the far left and far right of the stairs. If they walk up them anywhere near the middle, then your other melee fighters will get stuck behind and be unable to attack. You can see it happening to the Dulkheim Captains in this screenshot. The two in the back aren’t able to get around the one in the middle who is casting a spell.

The main reason you want to try and fit two melee fighters on the staircase side-by-side is because it splits the enemy’s attention. The Dulkheim Captains have Double Strike, so there’s a good chance that they could stun your melee fighters or overpower their ATW gauge through repeated attacks. Giving them multiple targets stops them from ganging up on a single character.

Shortly after the battle begins, the boss monster will summon these two little winged testicles. These things can’t be targeted and they don’t seem to do anything at first glance. We’ll see what their purpose is in a little bit, but you would be right to be wary of them.

:stonk: OH GOD, WHY DOES IT HAVE A DICK!?

The weird purple gas cloud that the monster jizzes onto the fort will damage one of your characters and heal the boss for the same amount. This cloud is continuous, so don’t stand around it after the attack hits.

It’s actually an enemy in its own right. It has very little HP, but it is capable of slowly following your characters, so it’s a good idea to deal with it as soon as you can.

Eventually you will notice that the flying testicle monsters have opened their eyes. They still aren’t doing anything, but you should be able to figure out that something is bubbling up in the background. Be prepared for it. If you don’t have Magic Shell, then make sure your party’s HP is topped off.

The camera will cut to the eyeball monsters two more times to show them glowing a little bit. After that, then this will happen:

Energy Rain is the monster’s signature attack. It will be using it constantly throughout this battle. It hits your entire party for solid damage.

Except, it has a critical weakness. You see how the attack name showed up in a text box that read “Spell: Level 1”?

Magic Shell, bitch. Magic Shell (or the Dispel spellstone. Or Magic Barrier, if you are lucky) will completely negate Energy Rain and result in it dealing zero damage.

If Energy Rain actually hits, then it tends to do about 120-170 damage (with Resist Level 3 applied) or upwards of 300 without Resist (depending on your spell resistances). It will also heal the boss for about 250 HP.

You can’t stop the boss from using Energy Rain, since the floaty testicle monsters aren’t selectable targets, but if you are having trouble dealing with the attack then you could always cheese it by slapping on Dispel spellstones and just healing yourself with Items.

Pro-tip: You can change your equipped spellstones mid-battle, by the way. Just select “Equip” from a character’s action menu.

If you want to finish Hien’s character story, then you need to have him attack the boss monster at least once.

…Fine. There’s really no reason in keeping hostages at this point. She’s being held in Dulkhen.

Dulkheim’s capital…

Good luck finding her there, though! You’re just going to die here, anyway!

Give me “Things a villain should never say” for $1,000, Alex.

:smith: I miss Alex…

When your characters get to the upper level of the fort, the monster will begin using a new close-range attack. It does about 150-200 damage and will heal the boss for a portion of the damage. It’s not devastating, but you will likely have to heal through it as you whittle down the boss’s HP.

It will also continue using the Drain Clouds, so you’ll need to keep an eye out for those as well. The Drain Clouds are especially important once your characters get to the upper level, since they are not going to be moving around as much as they have been. You don’t want a Drain Cloud sitting around on top of your team and draining away up to 400 damage a hit (and healing the boss for that much). Yes, a Drain Cloud can cover multiple characters.

Once you’ve gotten some of your melee units within striking distance of the boss, then you should have the mission on lockdown. The hard part is getting to it, the easy part is just standing there and waiting for it to die as you whack away at it with a bunch of melee units.

If you aren’t using Dispel spellstones or something similar, then make sure to have your Magic Shell caster reapply it to everyone when the pre-battle one wears off. Magic Shell lasts longer than Cycle Up does, but not as long as Resist. It will wear off at some point during this battle.

What!?

After enough damage, the floating testicle monsters will vanish and Ludwig will be teleported out of the summoned monster.

After which it will start smoking, get magic symbols around it, and then explode into a green fart cloud.

Take that, Ludwig! :woop: Is that really the best you got?

If my army’s new spellcannon was completed sooner… maybe this could have been avoided…

Nah, we would have just blown it up like we did with Valkania’s.

Haha… you sure… made things… interesting…

Everyone say goodbye to Ludwig! …Actually, don’t. He doesn’t deserve any farewells.

*We obtain the Left Half*

Space seems to have returned to normal… Superlative, everyone. Now to just make spells disappear.

Shouldn’t be too hard. We just destroyed every country capable of opposing us. Well, unless Marquelay-Ordinale decides that they suddenly want to be evil for no reason.

With Ludwig dead, we head back downstairs to inform Lumis of his little field promotion.

He fought to the end.

That’s who he was. He wasn’t the kind of man to surrender. Without him, Dulkheim will fall into chaos. And not only because they lost, but because they lost such a charismatic leader…

I have a feeling that they’ll get over it when they learn about all the heinous poo poo he did. Hell, I’m surprised that those soldiers who fought with him didn’t immediately bail when he summoned a giant penis monster and started piloting it like a Megazord. From a personal standpoint, I’d be rethinking my dedication to the cause at that point.

You can take that role.

Yes, I’ll do my best. But… Dulkheim really lost…

It’s really not that surprising. Ludwig was supposedly your most competent soldier/leader and he was a dumbass who mainly lucked out or was set up to win by Vester.

Anyway, the save point is operational again. I heavily recommend taking advantage of it. Not because there’s another big fight coming up or anything. It’s mainly a precaution in case your game crashes or something. You likely don’t want to have to redo that entire segment and boss fight.

After resting and saving, we run outside to check in on Chris, Diana, and Alfonse.

Hah!

Are you still thinking of fighting us?

[Dulkheim Captain]: Argh, retreat!

*The Dulkheim soldiers run away*

I’m glad you’re all safe.

It seems you’ve defeated Ludwig. I knew you had it in you.

Thanks.

Don’t thank me. I did what I could, same as anyone.

You’re safe! I can only imagine how scared you were… but it’s all right now.

[Ordinale Captain]: So, you’re Hien’s daughter. She looked like she had escaped the prisons, so we took her into custody on our way from Dulkhen.

[Hien’s Daughter]: This is yours, Dad…

Yay! Ultimate Armour for Hien!

Th-This is my…! You kept it with you all this time? Thank you.

*We fade out as everyone leaves. When it fades back in, we’re standing just outside the fort*

Fort Eizenvant is now in the hands of Marquelay-Ordinale. There’s not really anything to find or do in here, though.

…with the exception of the weird Well Lady.

[Well Lady]: Wait, nobody’s living here? So those soldiers marching around now…

[Well Lady]: No, no, no! I don’t want to be lonely! No! Not here! Not here!

Some day we’ll figure out what her deal is.

And that day is today! Fort Eizenvant is the last (locked off) place we needed to talk to the Well Lady in. Now that we’ve spoken with her here, she will show up in the Ruined Village.

[Well Lady]: This isn’t a well! This is a hole in the ground! And there’s nobody here! I’m so lonely… Wahhh! I hate this place! I absolutely hate it!

[Well Lady]: No, no, no! Don’t tell me! I’ll find it on my own! I’ll find it… All by myself… I’ll just… keep… looking…

Now that we’ve talked to this strange lady at every location that remotely resembles a well, she will show up in the one spot we’ve never seen her at.

You may never have noticed it, but No Angeles has a well of its own on the west side of town.

[Well Lady]: Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god! THIS IS IT! That shape! The size! The color, the luster, the texture, it’s all spot on! You could live in it, it’s so perfect! And the well hasn’t even been used!

[Well Lady]: Ohohoooooo! So many things to put in the ground! Like that, or even this!

So, this will (eventually) be the site of the game’s Bonus Dungeon. The Well Lady appears in Growlanser IV, V, and (I think) VI. There’s a guy in Growlanser III that is responsible for the Bonus Dungeon, but I don’t think he has the Well Lady’s same… quirkiness.

Either way, we need to give Well Lady some time to prepare this place before we can tackle it. We’ll come back here during the endgame cleanup.

For now, we return to the villa for some much needed rest. Also, we need to figure out what the hell we’re supposed to do from here.

There is one thing we can take care of right now, though. Since we picked up the Left Half of that medallion from Ludwig, we can have Pamela complete the whole thing for us.

There’s still lots to do.

Ah, endless stamina. I envy you. But you’re right. This is where the real work begins. The Spell Nullifier is almost complete, but please wait for it a bit longer. If you can think of any other way we might help, please let us know.

*We use the Left Half*

Oh…? This is different from the other one you had. Is this the other half of it? Can I see it?

*We hand over the Left and Right halves of the medallion*

*We obtain the Sealing Medallion*

Sweet! There we are. Now we can go and take some much needed--

:stare: Party member!

Welcome back, Crevanille. The war is really over. I was thinking all this time I was resting, and I’ve decided. I’m going to protect this world with you! I owe you my life!

You’ll be a great addition!

Okay, that’s a little weird, but yay! Final party member!

I’m disappointed spells are going to vanish, but if it’s for the world, that’s okay.

*Tricia joins the party!*

As mentioned wayyy back near the start of the game, Tricia is a new character created for Over Reloaded. Her Ring Weapon is a Wand and according to the manual, she is 16.

Tricia is a dedicated spellcaster, like Frayne. She has the best INT and MP stats of all of our characters (currently +27 and +32 better than Frayne, respectively). Her HP, DEX and STR are a bit worse, but her DEF and MOV are slightly better. Her ATW also blows Frayne’s out of the water at a base of 43 (compared to Frayne’s 78). Tricia also has better elemental resistances than Frayne (3’s across the board, instead of Frayne’s 2’s).

Tricia’s character story has been ongoing since we met her, so by recruiting her we’ve technically completed it. There's a unique armour for her as soon as she joins us. Not sure why.

The downside to her is that she is currently missing a lot of important Knacks and abilities. She needs to level up pretty much every mage related skill. She has mastered most spells and buffs/debuffs, but she’ll still need some late-game ones like Blast.

Her Level 1 Limit is “Mental Acuity.” It has a 25% chance of activating when attacked by a weapon while casting. Upon activation, it triggers Focus, which stops/reduces her ATW buildup from attacks while casting. It’s not especially impressive for the same reason as Frayne’s (which has a similar activation condition): as a dedicated caster, she shouldn’t be on the front lines taking weapon damage in the first place.

Now that we have our entire cast of battle party members, it’s time for the thread to pick an endgame team. This is the team we will use for the endgame (Arena, Bonus Dungeon, remainder of the story content).

---Party Vote: Final---

Vote for up to 3. In case you can’t remember what each character’s build is, here is a rundown:

-Sniper. Very long attack range (as long as he has line of sight). Has a lot of Impeding abilities that interrupt enemy spellcasters or slow down enemy ATW.

-Coverage Spellcaster. Mainly uses elemental spells and healing spells to fill in where needed. Has Magic Range Up EX to make Joint Spells reach farther than normal.

-Lightspeed. Has MOV Up spellstones that increase her movement speed. When combined with Dash, she can very quickly reach any part of the screen within a second or two.

-Multi-striker. Has Double Strike spellstones and Paralyze Strike. Will attack multiple times per turn, which will increase the likelihood of Paralysis triggering.

-Magic Knight. Capable of assisting with Joint Spells or casting Debuffs while also serving as a decent melee fighter.

-Elemental Striker. Capable of ranged attacks infused with whatever element is most effective against the enemy being targeted.

-Fire Support. Follows behind melee characters and attacks from a range with Resist Down stones, lowering enemy resistances to magic, physical, or elemental attacks for other characters to take advantage of.

-Reaper. Uses Death/Doom spells and a ranged version of the Fatal Strike Knack for instant kill attempts.

-Wolverine. Has spellstones which reduces damage from weapons/spells and increase the chance of his abilities activating. Capable of tanking a lot of damage and regenerating from it on his own.

-Spell Bomber. Uses Magic Up and Spell Doubling to inflict as much magical damage as possible with Blast (and Blast-related Joint Spells). Has MP Regenerate to offset MP usage, but is likely not capable of sustained casting.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 3, 2021

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Frayne for spellcasting, Eliza for melee zipping around and Vallery complimenting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Let's go with Eliza, Tricia, and Hien.