Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Man, I've always thought if I did an LP it'd this game, and a hybrid screenshot with .gifs of the animation touches that really make some of the scenes. Kinda sad I missed this LP until just now. I need to read the thread and see how you're handling leave time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
You know... you don't have to save him, and the first time I played this game I didn't have a guide so I missed pretty much all of the changeable fates, so my new game+ run where I could go back and fix a lot of my mistakes had an entirely different impact.

megane posted:

Let's hang out with Hien, Eliza, Yuni, and Maggie.

Also, stick with the bear costume.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Going back with endgame rings and stones and stat boosting items lets you rofflestomp most of the game, and is basically the only way to meet the prereqs for the evil ending, because the other option is savescumming the fight against the first monster until Regina misses twice and lets you get the kill.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Ah, so that's the real reason that people doubt that Alph is a real Royal Knight, he hasn't had a hat surgically grafted to his head like the the other two have.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Another one is "hero's entire hometown is destroyed to give him a reason to go on his heroic journey instead of staying at home farming dirt".

Remus just can't be trusted with parental figures.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

The spellstone that breaks any pretense that the arena fights without race conditions have difficulty is level 6 and can be farmed in Silver by beating up some level 21 bears.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Mirage is a level 6 green and lets you learn Invisible and Magic Shell.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Vallery is okay, but he suffers from not being Remus and Psycho Knight's least favorite character is better at being a midrange caster/physical hybrid. There won't be any suffering if he gets voted in, he's just suboptimal.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

AltaBrown posted:

Okay, Magnus is now the best character, ever. I will brook no arguments.

Those sideburns! :allears:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Also, looking at our party, our return to Fort Lienfaltz is going to be:
:science: BEHOLD THE POWER OF OUR NEW SUMMONING SPELLSTONES!
:black101: TLDR, get sworded.
:rip: But... magic?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Okay, so let's solve another case with Great Detective Eliza, Increment Sydney until the thing stops us, try out some food with Hien, talk to Remus about his sister, and ... I don't remember what Vallery's story is.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

I don't remember any of the script oddities you've pointed out in this section, guess I wasn't paying any more attention than the localizers were. Ooops.

Magnus and his sidburns have one again escaped :saddowns:

I suppose one excuse for waiting until the last possible second to warn everybody about Vester is that we've seen Alice's acting ability and don't trust her to not get all of her men killed in an act of defiance if he shows up early.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Psycho Knight posted:

You would think so, considering that Vester revived Regina. Seems kind of weird for him to pass on Dixon, who was likely much stronger.

Vester seems to type he recruits. :pedo:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Technically there's one more, but it's just making the choice of what ending you want to see.

My votes:
Sydney (to learn we need the mcguffin)
Leona (to get the mcguffin)
Magnus (:swoon:)
Eliza (finish her story)
Hien (finish his)
Regina (for a different mcguffin)

I think Frayne is impossible at this point, and Leona might be, I don't remember how many times we need to check back in with her after her events actually start rolling.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Just looked it up, and it might be possible. I don't know how fast the guy running the museum works. But if we can get two Frayne updates in this vacation, then on the next one she sends us running all over the map, and there isn't another check in required like I thought there was.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

"All the endings" is impossible, there aren't enough slots for everyone and there is a pair of mutually exclusive mcguffins. So just vote for your favorites.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Even the perfect guides have a "drop a save here for route splits" step before the second to last furlough.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

When I was pondering doing an LP of this game, one of the subtitles I considered was "Tokemeki (sister) Complex."

You think I kid, but out of the 14 girls with endings, only 6 don't have a sibling of some sort. And that's counting all of the familiars as one character.)
Five if you count both Magnus and Diana looking up to Hien as a father figure

I'm going to vote for Sunset Quartz

ultrafilter posted:

Magnus, Regina, Meline.

Forcing you to find niches for all three midrange characters at once sounds hilarious, and I hope you can pull it off without just sworddancing everything down.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Oh wow, I brain farted and though that vote was Vallery, Regina Meline. Still, Magnus needs to strut his stuff so I'm not going to change it.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

vilkacis posted:

I like that it's called a "light" dress but 286 str isn't enough to wear it :j:

Poor Cronkite, all that digging and he doesn't even get a cisgate :v:

It only takes 225 to wear, that warning at the top is just scrolling by to tell you that you'll suffer penalties if you don't have enough str.

Also, I should have realized that there are multiple ways for the game to tell you where the Sunset Quartz is.

Also also, Beefcake Magnus :swoon: You'll get your revenge eventually.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Psycho Knight posted:

There is another that is only possible under a very specific condition, but I can't mention it because spoilers. The thread will know of it when/if it happens and it doesn't require any input on their part.

Getting the conditions for this ending and then not doing it feels like a real dick move.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Melomane Mallet posted:

And now I will go back to hitting myself for accidentally saving over my new game+ file after playing around in the bonus dungeon yesterday. :suicide:

Oof. The pink clear data or the file you've actually been playing on?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Melomane Mallet posted:

The clear data I saved nine years ago for another playthrough, but never got around to. I had reloaded a pre-final battle save to refamiliarize myself with the game, and then yeah.

Double oof. Good luck.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

I'm going to be silly and vote for the sausagefest.

Vallery, Hien, Sideburns Magnus.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

The spellstone Deadeye Shot makes the Well Dungeon infinitely more bearable by letting all of your ranged characters ignore walls. And doubling their range. It's not quite as broken as the spellstone that gave Hans infinite range in 2, but it's very useful for taking out mages that have shoved themselves into a corner of the map.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

It is absolutely possible to kill Cynthia if you send the wrong person to fight her. I don't remember if doing that changed Meline's ending other than the group FMVs.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Eh, if we look at it from a standpoint like Magic <=> Nuclear, then Vester's role and lack of further motivation becomes clear. He's just the Demon Core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Thanks for slogging through and posting my least favorite ending. I like that Crevanille attempts to go along with weird alien culture stuff, but I was honestly going to use :biotruths: to indicated when Merrick was talking.