Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Grizzled Mercenary Dad™ has definitely lasted longer than i expected!

Growlanser's one of those names i've heard of but never actually learned anything about so i'm curious to see how this plays out. Looks pretty neat so far, i dig the shoulderpads (even if the actual designs are a bit hit and miss...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Well poo poo! That sure took a turn. Gruff Anime Dad was a question of time but Regina's pretty unexpected. Just before we could get some info, too :arghfist::saddowns:

I also kind of hoped we could trade in Remus for her at some point

I'm not... entirely sold on the dialogue system. It makes some sense to not flip between rear end in a top hat and shounen protagonist, but "don't blindly charge an unknown but obviously powerful enemy" is not so much cowardly and more... simply not stupid (and entirely justified given how well fighting it went)...

Am i reading it wrong that you can just sit at 20% health and multi-shot everything? Or does it have a recharge time or something?

I don't think Dixon looks that old, really - grey hair aside he's pretty well preserved for a dude who spends time outdoors (and fighting). Then again, next to Remus just about anyone will look ancient.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Psycho Knight posted:

You can proc Limit Abilities multiple times. Crevanille eventually gets a broken one that you can spam pretty reliably. Multi-Shot does have a cool down, though, in the sense that you need Remus to attack for it to trigger (so it will depend on his ATW stat). I also don't think it's a 100% chance.

Yeah i figured it'd activate on attacking, but it still seems like being able to do it every turn would be pretty powerful, especially since you'd probably keep him out of most enemies' attack range anyway. Being chance-based at least makes it a lot less overpowered than it first looked.

quote:

I mean, the people in their mid-40's that I know look a fair bit younger than Dixon. Granted, those people are academics instead of warriors or outdoorsman, but still. Cutscene Dixon looks a bit younger than in-game portrait Dixon though.

The "outdoors" bit is pretty important. People who get regular exposure to sunlight tend to get more wrinkles than desk jockeys.

I mean, at least that is what i've been told; as a goon i naturally don't get nearly enough sunlight to confirm it in person :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Psycho Knight posted:

Well, Fire seems like the default hero/Main Character element. I guess we’ll take that one.

That is exactly why you should pick anything else :colbert:

Ahahaha what the hell is Bryntir's hair doing

Is he a sentient wig piloting a meat puppet or what

I like that being able to see magical bullshit is apparently something that can, at least to a degree, be taught. Too much fantasy goes all in on the special sparkly bloodline stuff.

It's always nice when games give you a little thumbs-up for taking on "impossible" fights if you actually manage it. You don't kill Abram for the exp; you do it for the experience.

quote:

Nope. Going to pop that bubble right now, Remus.

Ouch! :haw:

Secret books don't fare much better here than they do in Fire Emblem, huh. I need iron swords, drat it!

Goddamn! Vallery looks like he could benchpress Crevanille and Remus at the same time.

Things seem to be moving at a brisk pace here. In Fire Emblem i feel like you'd still be fighting brigands at this point.

I have no idea what i voted for but i did and that's what matters!!! I also vote we put a blue and a green stone but no red ones to make up for selecting the fire magic at the start :colbert:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Psycho Knight posted:

If someone wants to tell me what the snarky element is then we can slap that on instead. It has to be Wind, right?

It is absolutely wind. :hai:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It's been a hot minute but this critter seems even more robotic than Rei. I'll have you know i voted for the talkative one! Anyway, use the new costume, it's purple and stylin'. :c00l:

Looking forward to the Sarcasm Elemental magic :hai: Given Fire Emblem experience my immediate instinct is to hoard all the +mov, but...

I like the little bit with the ring identification option, it's cute.

For a moment i thought Remus was planning to seduce the grieving widow...

Hmm, Deringer's face looks somewhat familiar...

...probably just my imagination.

Glitches in reality aside, the fruit quest's kind of neat (if mean).

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Ah yes, my name is also Creature 4.

Remus is mad as hell and he's not gonna take it any more! Putting in a request that once you're able to fight angels properly, let him get the first kill. :hai:

(I mean unless it requires magical protagonist powers or some poo poo which it probably will.)

I'm fully convinced Alfonse is a very good boy who would never do anything to hurt us, we will be the best of friends and no one will be sad.

Definitely nice to see the outfit in the portrait, yes!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Indeed! Remus is a bro and i don't think our mostly-heroic-but-occasionally-sarcastic Crevanille would bench his bro. :colbert:

I reserve the right to completely change my mind on this as new characters join

e: I don't remember if you said so already - how big can the party get?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

No female enemies, huh...? :thunk:

Goddamn that is a lot of endings.

Sephinot is definitely the better name, yes.

Not being able to stab him is kind of annoying if they let you go so far as to draw on him, but it is also an incredibly bad idea and would kind of necessitate a bad ending scene if you started poo poo here and now... so it's understandable.

That is a cool bit with the attack and i imagine it's pretty tense to play! I'm liking it a lot, even if the potential to softlock is pretty bad design...

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:stare: Well poo poo, this sure... went places. Nice to see old buddy Remus being a badass although that probably means he's going to die next :v:

ultrafilter posted:

Yuni's current outfit is way better than the new one.

+1

Purple for life.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The more i see of this game, the more i feel like i'm going to have to play it myself at some point. There's a lot here!

Let's honour our gruff dead anime dad and call the place Dixonville! It's exactly ten characters. :hai:

I've never heard of a beard bro, super or otherwise, but that was a pretty good first impression.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Psycho Knight posted:

Everything’s coming up Crevanille!

Now you've got me worried :v:

No Angeles was a really good suggestion, i've no shame in admitting it's better than mine. ...Slightly better.

Also,

quote:

between this and those... sword gauntlets??? i'm starting to like Eliza :haw:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Well as long as he's not coughing, i'm sure he'll be fine.

Space Kablooey posted:

Maybe this is why the Angels went all Armaggedon on them.

Come on, it's not that b... uh... actually now that you mention it is actually that bad.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

MythosDragon posted:

Since PK's doing this by my request in the first place, I plan to help him show off the game a bit, though my updates will be of severely less quality.
First and biggest change would be what fairy I get, so I'll let you guys choose that.

I can't in good conscience vote for DRM :j:

Go D-PT, for contrast.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:gonk: oh poo poo he knows who i am :derp: he knows where i live

quote:

I like to think Crevanille is dragging Eliza behind him. Like, he wrapped those hair ribbons around her and is pulling her like a sleigh through the snow.

At least there is snow to use for that purpose here! I imagine it's less fun for all involved in a desert.

quote:

[Rando Kid that thinks he’s older and wiser]

I like this kid. :hai:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Nice to see Cargill's smug mug get a few dents put into it!

"But are you sure you don't want to go for the sexual harassment option?" Real classy, game.

I say we should hang with our bro Remus and also Hien because he's new and exciting and he's also Anime Old so he might just croak before we get a chance otherwise :v:.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Psycho Knight posted:

For what it's worth, if you do go the sexual harassment route then Pamela decks Crevanille in the face when she sees him reach for her chest, so at least the player is given the appropriate response to being a creep.

That makes it somewhat better, at least.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'm still disappointed to share a thread with a bunch of Remus-haters. :colbert:

Some good Little poo poo reply options there...

quote:

The elemental AOE Joint Spells will usually fill the screen with effects. It looks devastating as all hell, but the actual damage could be pitiful if you only cast a Level 1 or 2 version.

jrpg.gif

That Soul Force is real impressive looking for one of your first combo spells.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Psycho Knight posted:

Apparently (and I say that because I can’t find a playthrough to verify it), in the Original Route it is possible to fully revive your original Familiar. From what I’ve read, you achieve that by being as mean as you can to your new Familiar. This supposedly results in her reaching a point where she basically erases herself to bring back the original. If true, that is a surprisingly messed up option to give the player.

I wouldn't put it past this game after what we've seen so far.

...Crevanille's black lipstick makes him look like a j-rocker...

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:stare: welp

Voting Remus :colbert:

...ok fine, Hien and Sydney can have some fun too.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Hahahaha what the hell, okay, Yea on the unbearable outfit, it's too dumb not to use.

Hang with Remus, Hien, and Sydney.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Cat puns nyare very good. Only meownsters dislike cat puns.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Remus, Hien, and Meow Leona are my pick of the litter :smugbert:

Also,

This is amazing. Much as i like the purple jacket, i couldn't bear to switch back, costume I all the way!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

THIIIISSS

I hope some of you monsters know what it is you're voting against!

quote:

Whole lot of warning bells ringing in that speech.

Whaaaat? Noooo. Can't you see how honest and upstanding he is? I believe in him.

quote:

That was a lot less impressive than I was expecting.

Hey, that hit spark would have covered almost the entire screen if it had been centered! I don't know how much more you can expect!

quote:

This one’s for you, vilkacis.

:neckbeard: You go, you tiny, angry man!

Hm, Akyel doesn't sound familiar but Uriel is an actual angel, like from real world mythology.

quote:

It doesn’t seem to have occurred to President Deringer that I might betray him. I’m sure he’ll be livid.

He may be a smug git but i'm quite enjoying this line :allears:

Also:

quote:

"Give me a break, i have amnesia. I don't remember how to hold these things!"

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

So this gruff anime dad didn't die? Impossible! I'm pretty sure you broke reality somehow and it may have horrible consequences further down the line.

New costume isn't bad but bear costume 4lyf

Hang with Yuni regardless of outfit though, as well as Remus, Hien, and Leona.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It's a pignapping!

...it would make for a pretty good thread title.

I wonder if it's better to be an "admirable" person or a "wonderful" one. Probably the latter?

Same. Bear costume best costume.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Vallery no longer seems very exciting now that we have cool sword grandpa and a catgirl on the team, but at least i'm glad he's not stupidly dead in a ditch somewhere. :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

AltaBrown posted:

Okay, Magnus is now the best character, ever. I will brook no arguments.

:haibrow:

Entirely agree. He was having so much fun! It's tragic no one else understood the beauty of it.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'll tell y'all now i will not stand for no catgirl racism :clint:

That was some fine dancing! I can understand the desire to hold off on it so as to not make every battle "nuke, move on"... though i can also understand the desire to just nuke and move on if they're going to give you the opportunity.

:xd: "strange Death man". "Skeletor" is more succinct though.

Beach Yuni is honestly tamer than i was expecting from outfit H. Anyway, not worth considering over the almighty bear.

Do Eliza's thing and also here is my standard Hien and Remus vote. And i guess Leona and Mell for the last two?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I can't believe how much use :catdrugs: gets. :allears:

Remus, Hien, and Leona!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:munch: Well this is getting spicy!

quote:

Apparently the naming conventions of the future are just as lame as they are in the media of our world.

And who do you think taught the creators of our world's media those naming conventions :tinfoil:

MythosDragon posted:

Also yeah, the plot of this game is just Magic instead of Science FF7, with a dash of time travel. It works much better as a result.

Come now, it's just a very specific science that lets you burn grandma's soul so you can get on youtube that's problematic. Regular science, like fossil fuels, is perfectly ok in FFVII!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

You blew something up! Yeah!! :neckbeard:

I mostly just want Hien, Remus, and Regina at this point.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Gonna miss Grandpa Hien's Sword Story Hour. Oh well.

quote:

Bear costume. 4lyf. :haibrow:

I think we should give Sydney the Sunset Quartz, we don't want engage in practices that are strictly forbidden for obvious reasons.

Bring Remus, Hien, and Leona!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I like that it's called a "light" dress but 286 str isn't enough to wear it :j:

Poor Cronkite, all that digging and he doesn't even get a cisgate :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

That's still a pretty good chunk of the cast you managed to unlock!

Psycho Knight posted:

There is another that is only possible under a very specific condition, but I can't mention it because spoilers.

:catstare: It's Cronkite isn't it

I fully understand not doing multiple runs of a game as along as this. I am still curious what the other paths involve though, so will definitely appreciate the summaries.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Psycho Knight posted:

Not a fan of tea, personally.

Then perish :cop:

quote:

This is what we call “strategy.” You wouldn’t understand.

Ahahaha, even now he's such a smug douchebag :allears: I might actually miss him... a little.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Psycho Knight posted:

:argh: It's just flavoured water! If I wanted that I could pick from any number of options both hot and cold.

Everything you drink is flavoured water! Except for the unflavoured water!!

MythosDragon posted:

I've started trying to hobble together my update so I just need to toss on the ending later, and since I chose D-PT, I can't rib a portrait from PK, so any advice on how to make a backgroundless 100x100 image of her face?

Crop image to a square at around the same proportions as the ones in the thread. Select and delete the background with magic wand tool if you have an image with a solid(ish) background, lasso tool otherwise. Resize to 100px. Save as png.

quote:

While I'm at it, any advice for what images to actually upload? just realized I transcribed like 20 screenshots and uploaded less than 5.

You should generally show off when something happens on screen. It's also nice to highlight any particularly interesting/good lines, or just break up any particularly long sections of text. But if it's all dialogue then you can... mostly just let it stay dialogue.

e: had a quick look and this is already transparent. So it just needs a quick crop and resize.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 1, 2021

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Well lady is pretty great.

Bring Remus, Hien, and Regina!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

That is a lot of power!

Remus’ final ability isn't going to be even remotely worth the time and effort, is it...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:toot: Neat game, good thread.