Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
I loved the crap out of this game back when it came out. Looking forward to seeing an LP of it. :allears:

Also, Crevanille should be a nice and helpful boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

I am pleased to share that there are ongoing fan translations for both 1 and 6 right now, with 6 being farther along.

Is it the PSP version of 1? That's the version I have and am curious. :shobon:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

1 was very early, debating whether to translate the PS1 cuz it was a bit easier to access or the pop cuz extra content. I figure it'll be a psp patch if it reaches the end though.

Ah, ty. I got about 2-ish hours into my (physical) version of PSP!GL1 before I got frustrated/distracted. I never felt the need to hack my psp, but I probably would for a translation of this.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Magnus. :allears: :allears:

And for the record, the Character & Scenario Collection book list Dixon as 42 and Bauer as 25.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

I'm guessing you have a copy of that, right? Because I couldn't find any scans of it online.

I can accept Bauer being 25, but Dixon at 42 is baffling to me. I mean, sure, he's the leader of a mercenary group. That's a hard life that's going to lead to a hard aging process, but still. Plus, it makes the comparison with a future character even more stark, since we'll be expected to accept the fact that some guy 3 years older than Dixon looks like he's in his late 80's.

Yeah, I have a copy. It's for the original PS2 version, so I can't help you with new npcs like Pamela. Be happy to let you know ages for the rest of the cast when appropriate, if you'd like. :)

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

One of each color.

I tired booting up my PSP to see what familiar I had, but the battery had come down with a case of the bloat and wouldn't turn on. :sigh:

Anyway, ages for the important npcs:
Diana Silverneil - 25
Ludwig - 35
Bryntir - 30

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

So it's worth noting that two of the familiars are references to previous Growlanser games: TP is a pallet swap of Tippi*, the homunculus that accompanied the main character of the first game, while LM looks exactly like Raimy*, the fairy from the third game. They both have alternate outfits of characters from those games.

Also, I got a replacement PSP Battery! :toot: I had the TP familiar and named her Yuni.

*See what they did there?

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

Uhh, it's been a while but I believe there are 10 recruitable party members on the Modified/True path (not counting Crevanille himself) that can participate in fights.

The battle party is 4 and Crevanille can't be removed, so eventually the thread will be picking 3 characters out of 10 available ones.

This is correct.

Omobono posted:

Can you date the lady angel?
Crevanille can totally date the lady angel can't he?

Crevanille can "date" any of one familiar, ten party members, and six or seven NPCs, so maybe...? :v: :angel:

Anyhow, ages:
Lumis Lichtmann - 30
Alphonse Ordinale - 25
Muntzer - 31 (He has a first name, just not 100% on the katakana/what the localization used. Edit: Bernhardt?)

Melomane Mallet fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 7, 2021

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Oh, I've played the game and know that; I"m just being deliberately vague.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Yeeeeaaah.... that's the other thing Urushihara is know for - hentai. One of his artbooks has nude art of all the playable girls from the first three Growlanser games. All of them. Even the twelve-year-old. :cripes:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

There's no way to talk about this tactfully, but I'm gonna try. I love his art normally, like top 10 best artstyles, especially his psp remake era art with extra shine, but that all evaporates when its NSFW. I legitimately dislike it for some reason even if you ignore that, and I just question how both sides are his art. Barring that uh... thing I could have lived without knowing, I'm glad he generally keeps them separate.

Psycho Knight posted:

It is a very strange juxtaposition. Love it or hate it, he has a distinct art style that stands out from others and that is enough to justify including it in a personal top 10. A lot of artists have personal touches in characters they design, but not as many have an entire ethos about it where someone can look at it for a second and go "That's definitely so-and-so's work."

But the fact that he uses that same art style for his adult oriented work, and also likes to use previously designed characters as material, is a bit troublesome. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure how he gets away with that stuff. Just searching for some of his artwork to use in this update resulted in NSFW images of characters that are very clearly Growlanser/Langrisser characters. I understand that he is a freelancer, but you would think that kind of thing would cause some friction with Atlus/Sega, yet they still worked with him on the remastering of Langrisser I & II.

Yeah, I'm pretty much in agreement; he's got a fantastic, distinctive art style I love the look of. It's just. You know, the thing. I have been cursed with this knowledge for years and I both regret passing it on and regret nothing.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I keep being surprised by how much of the story I have forgotten; I mean, it's been nine-ish years since I last played, but I'd thought I'd remember more.

As always, important NPC ages:
Vester: (now that we have his name) 30
Christopher Ordinale: 25

Less important characters:
President Deringer: 49
King of Valkania: 59
Simmons: 32

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, book says age 30, no qualifiers, no approximates (unless there's something in the text blocks I'm out of practice enough I can't read anymore). I am also guessing the weirdness is from something I haven't remembered yet. :v:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

I need to find a way to add these in, because some of my updates are so tight on space that I literally cannot afford even a handful of extra letters. I may have to do some selective editing.

Maybe do a characters page and just put it up on lpix or something?

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Another idea: character posts. Find a good break point (I do know there's one coming up), and do a post of only the characters we have met and what we know of them and what their deal is at that point in the lp. Later on, do another character post, with updated info for characters we already know and add anyone we've met since the last character post. Repeat till we have everyone.

Melomane Mallet fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 20, 2021

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I have nothing to offer other than :munch:, because yay, plot stuff I remember! Oh, and also:

Cargill: 28
Meline and Cynthia: 12 (twins, if it wasn't obvious)

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

Now, I know the art book is official and everything, but I still call complete bullshit on them being 12. Meline certainly acts like a 12-year old, but neither of them look it.

This is from the Overeloaded Official Complete Guide (yes, I own that, too). And yeah, they look waaay uh, overdeveloped for 12, but I assume that's Urushihara being Urushihara.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

:bandwagon:

One thing I feel the need to clarify is that that Over Reloaded Official Complete Guide is not an artbook; an "official complete guide" is a common way of saying "official strategy guide" in Japan. They're primarily focused on gameplay related things (walkthrough/maps/stats/items/equipment/spells/etc., you get the idea), but many of them have extras sections with things like artwork or dev team interviews (Square Enix is really good about this in general). JP strategy guides also tend to kick the everloving crap out of English guides in terms of usefulness, even if your ability to read Japanese has deteriorated as much as mine has :v:

And as always:
Death Wing Captain: 27
Baker: 31
Princess Alicia: 15
Pamela: 27 -- this was actually in the PSP instruction manual and means we do get ages for all the new characters! :toot:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

The difference is western strategy guides are generally looked at as a minimum effort quick buck, while Japanese guides give you ALL OF THE INFORMATION you could ever possibly want. Like, imo, the ideal solution (from a gamer's standpoint) would be for a western company to license and translate the JP guide that's already been made. But doing that would cost time and money and clearly, we can't have that.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

I don't recall the exact details of Chris/Alphonse's plotline, but I can say that Chris is definitely more capable than his laid-back attitude would suggest. It's not really a spoiler, because he just joined us as a guest party member, but at the very start of the next update we'll see that his stats are far above our characters' at this stage of the game.

Yeah, I watched that long ago. I believe it was a promotional tie-in for the release of Wayfarer of Time - Return.

I probably won't be covering it in this LP like I did with the Conception PLUS Anime, because overall it's just okay. It's a lot of shady conversations, geopolitics, and characters being introspective.

I believe it's also set after the events of the game, so there's spoilers to worry about. If I did cover it, I would have to make it the final update of this LP (assuming I don't do the alternate route).

Yeah, I watched it when it first came out. It's definitely post-game spoiler territory, since, iirc, Crevanille's hanging around with a character that, from where we are in the LP, he really should not be able to.

P.S.:
Sydney: 20
Mel: 16

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

Since PK's doing this by my request in the first place, I plan to help him show off the game a bit, though my updates will be of severely less quality.
First and biggest change would be what fairy I get, so I'll let you guys choose that.

D-PT, since she's the one I got.

Also, pretty sure the Muntzer fight is a reference to Growlanser 2: early in the game, the main character and his subordinates are falsely accused of a crime and need to clear their names. The only witness to their innocence gets kidnapped, you team up with her brother to save her, but her kidnappers demand you kill each other or she dies. Much the same as this fight, you need to "play fight" until the hostage gets freed. This is actually easier on NG+, since you can slap on endgame armor and wail on each other to zero damage until then.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Eliza and Remus. I remember what Frayne's vacation events are and I'm less interested in Hien than his student and niece. :v:

Norman: 19
Maggie: 27
And with that, unless I am misremembering, is all of the ages for the important NPCs. There is one character left that the instruction manual lists as ???, but they're a party member and in the original game, so Psycho Knight might have their age already.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

I never had a problem with that (I went through the fight 2 or 3 times in order to play with tactics and positioning). Even when Mortis got to him first, he usually swung at Crevanille (since Crevanille deals more damage). I haven't had Decoy equipped since the Rescue Tricia battle.

Hien never made it to Cargill, so I don't know if there's special dialog for him getting into a fight with the guy.

So one of the things about the Character & Scenario Collection book is that it contains the entirety of the original game's script (I probably shouldn't say "one of" when it's two thirds of what the book is. :v:) . So I actually went and looked it up and Cargill has battle dialogue with Crevanille and Frayne, but not Hien.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

With Frayne? Really? I mean, I get that she was also locked up in the prison, but that still seems a little odd. At the very least I would expect Remus to have some dialog with him, considering Remus is the one responsible for the jail break in the first place (as far as Cargill knows, anyway. Lumis' involvement is a secret).

Would you mind posting it?

I'll see what I can do, but it might not be for a while; I have family stuff this weekend (relatives over tonight, 50th wedding anniversary party tomorrow, baby shower sunday). Just glancing at it, Frayne mentions Ruin Children (easy to tell b/c it's in katakana) and it's a question, so she might just be asking about that.

Edit: Let me see if this works...

Success! But it's sideways and some of it got cut off, but most of it is there!

Melomane Mallet fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 17, 2021

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Omobono posted:

Remus, Eliza, Yuni

Gonna be mainly voting for characters who's endings I didn't qualify for when I played, so Frayne and Sydney are out.

And for anyone who's wondering when we'll get new party members, the Official Complete Guide considers there to be 60 story missions for the Modified/True route and we just did mission 19. Mission 29 is when we'll have new characters available to us.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

Its a lot closer than it sounds. Missions rapidfire in groups of 2-4 for the rest of the game now that we've unlocked furloughs. We're honestly closer to halfway than we are 1/3rd, we've seen almost the entire continent too. The game progresses fast around now since it spent all that time setting everything up early.

Bonus: My favorite fights in the game are soon.

Psycho Knight posted:

It is definitely a pain that a lot of the party members are backloaded, but like Mythos said, the missions sometimes come and go in batches of 2 or 3. We just blew threw 2 missions in that last update alone.

Yeah, I was just trying to give some frame of reference for the curious.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Well, I can definitely see why Pocaccha didn't want that. :allears:

Eliza, Remus, and Hien.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

I don't have D-RM's Costume I, so I have no idea if it is as goofy as D-MD's, or if D-MD is simply the odd one out here.

For whatever reason, D-RM does not have a costume I. PT and YN go up to costume J, but RM stops at H. :shrug:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Frayne, Eliza, Hien and go back to costume H.

For the record, Leona is 14. And that is the last outstanding character age in the game. :toot:

E: And this is me realizing Yuni's costume F is the Screaper Queen from Growlanser 5.

Melomane Mallet fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 5, 2021

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

LEONA IS 14!? I now feel bad damnit. Atleast she's only my 3rd favorite girl.

And now you've realize why Crevanille has a variable 17-19 age. 17-year-old dates 14-year-old? Meh. 19-year-old dates 14-year-old? Umm....
Also, being (potentially) 19 makes it also less creepy to get with an NPC in their 20s.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

It is extremely obscure, even for people that follow astrology poo poo, but there is an angel called Achiel. The name appears in Ars Paulina as part of the Monomoiria. He rules the 21st degree of Gemini.

Alternatively, it could be based on an angel from the fifth heaven in the Book of Raziel called Aciel.

Alternatively alternatively, it was supposed to be a reference to the Archangel Sachiel that someone messed up.

Achiel is the Romanization the Character & Scenario Collection uses. While some of the spellings in the book are...unique, they got this one spot on and I don't know why the localization didn't.

Super delayed edit: On the other hand, the Collection calls the female angel "Youriel" and the localization goes with the (correct) Uriel.

Melomane Mallet fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 12, 2021

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Yuni, Eliza, Leona, and Maggie. Let's give the new costume a spin.

Yeah, when the game was new, there was one guide for it, written by someone playing the JP version, and who clearly did not speak a lick of Japanese. I only qualified for seven character endings, but did manage to alter the fates of all but two characters. And also, real life is frequently lovely and awful for no good reason, so let me give my video game characters the happiest endings I can.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

I think the only party member in an RPG I've ever legit hated is Jade from Tales of Abyss for being directly responsible for like, half the bad events in the game, but never getting called out for it and using the other party members as scapegoats. And I've played drat near all the RPGs.

I think the thing I ended up realizing about Jade is that he is a legit sociopath who only understands the difference between "good" and "bad" in an academic sense, and that the world should be grateful he had a teacher that made him want to to "good", even if he really doesn't really understand it.

But yes, he needed to admit and be held accountable for a whole hell of a lot more.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

AltaBrown posted:

Okay, Magnus is now the best character, ever. I will brook no arguments.

Yeah, this was the moment Magnus became my favorite character and I have been waiting with baited breath for the thread's reactions. :allears:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Frayne, Eliza, Vallery, Hien, Meline

Yes, I am voting for Meline, I didn't qualify for her ending, and want to see that chain. :colbert:

Melomane Mallet fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 28, 2021

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Vallery, Frayne, and Eliza

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

:stonk: Oh sweet Jesus, what the gently caress is that?!

...Apparently, one of the sex toy enemies. :cry:

Melomane Mallet fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 4, 2021

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

And this probably explains the age of 12 in the cool book. Kinda.
I dont think she was 12, 15 years ago. That would make her the exact same age as Pamela, which isnt right.

I do think this *is* right: 15 years ago, Pamela* and Maggie would have been 12. Maggie gave Meline and Cynthia that cross stone because they were friends, and people tend to become friends because they are around the same age. So their ages do make sense to me, it's just 15 years of not aging due to being technically dead and all.

*Ruin child, etc.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Eliza, Vallery, Regina, Magnus, Meline, and Maggie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Magnus, Regina, Meline and Lovers Oak.

Yeah, this. Let's take our newest party members for a spin.

Psycho Knight posted:

I have a feeling like Maggie’s explanation was poorly translated, but I can’t find this scene in Japanese. She makes it sound like it’s a very difficult or nearly impossible task, but telling her Regina’s blood type (which Regina already knows) and body weight is apparently all that’s needed?

I can try looking for it in the script part of the Character & Scenario Collection, but I'm not sure where it would be or if it even covers optional side quests. If it is there and I can find it, I'll take a picture for you to compare.