Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
when i was a little kid i wanted to know all about how everything in computer worked.

be careful what you wish for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echinopsis posted:

dream job is doing something that I give a poo poo about

no dont it's a trap

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

What's your dream job? Mine is writing software at Playboy and showing all the babes the cool computer code that I write.

my dream job is gently caress you I do what I want and I have lots of money

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

CatBlack posted:

i wish to bbe a moderator of the something awful forums

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

no dont it's a trap

turns out giving most of my life to something I don’t give a poo poo about has left me feeling very poo poo about existence

there’s a lot of things I love in life, but barely being able to touch them because I spend the rest of my time doing (or recovering from) something I increasingly hate is really bogus

some people might be able to do the grind and get pissed on the weekend. I think my brain just works too hard to deal with that, I don’t need after work solutions to my problems I need during work solutions aka a job I give a poo poo about

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i'm telling you man it's a trap

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Achmed Jones posted:

i'm telling you man it's a trap

storytime, or I'm quitting my job to go into carpentry

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
reply is not edit! what have I done!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

echi you don’t want to be a graphic designer your skin is too thin trust me on this 70% of the job is getting treated like poo poo by your clients and you need to be able to hang with that

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

RokosCockatrice posted:

storytime, or I'm quitting my job to go into carpentry

oh nothing specific, it's just that every time i do something i love for money it rather quickly becomes just a job. happened with hacker poo poo, happened with teaching. didn't happen quite as much or as quickly with the research side of my discipline but it was still palpably occurring.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Achmed Jones posted:

oh nothing specific, it's just that every time i do something i love for money it rather quickly becomes just a job. happened with hacker poo poo, happened with teaching. didn't happen quite as much or as quickly with the research side of my discipline but it was still palpably occurring.

lol this drives me nuts about people telling me to open a restaurant. like i enjoy cooking go away

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I have a boring job that pays too much for me to quit and do what interests me. doing the next best thing and just accepting that it’s all garbage and I don’t really care about any of it, and working on things that interest me when it gets too annoying.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I would only ever open a restaurant if I was already independently wealthy and would under no circumstances have any pressure to treat the staff like poo poo to get by

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my dream job would be doing anything that i thought actually contributed to making the world or my community better. instead of now, where my job is helping to make the world very slightly worse

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

echi you don’t want to be a graphic designer your skin is too thin trust me on this 70% of the job is getting treated like poo poo by your clients and you need to be able to hang with that

probably true. plus I recognise that my talents are extremely superficial

Achmed Jones posted:

hey this sounds better than starting with something you don’t like and then it getting worse. at least for a small amount of time you got paid to do something you like and are good at . that’s got to count for something in this life

The Management posted:

I have a boring job that pays too much for me to quit and do what interests me. doing the next best thing and just accepting that it’s all garbage and I don’t really care about any of it, and working on things that interest me when it gets too annoying.

I’m trying this but my brain is relentless in making me miserable at work. I won’t go into details but it’s disturbing

maybe I should be a truck driver

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

my dream job would be doing anything that i thought actually contributed to making the world or my community better. instead of now, where my job is helping to make the world very slightly worse

I mostly supply drugs to boomers to keep them alive longer

I think my job very certainly makes the world much much worse

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

I mostly supply drugs to boomers to keep them alive longer

I think my job very certainly makes the world much much worse

idk at least you’re part of a system that at its core helps provide medicine. that’s not an inherently bad thing

my job is part of a system to convince upper middle income people to side grade their already working speakers to newer models and throw the old ones into the garbage

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
echi your job is literally essential and directly helps people, my job (programming computer) is actually worthless

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

wow didn’t know you posted for a living

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've produced something like 20p of value to actual real people in my 8 year long career. The rest of it was optimizing fees between different megacorps so is pretty worthless

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the main accomplishment of my career has been having an electrical engineering job where i don’t work for a BAE or Lockheed type company that directly makes equipment for blowing up people.

its just computers tho so it could end up in some military system, but that’s not the product I am designing.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

somethbing to do with computers!!

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
I wanna work at best buy so I can get the employee discount

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
well you’re already head of the geek squad

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
squad goals

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

echi your job is literally essential and directly helps people, my job (programming computer) is actually worthless

i’m hosed then lol

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
maybe you could work for a union. that would be pretty cool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think the problem is that it’s not intellectually stimulating at all. no problem solving, except pain the rear end problems (and these are more problems related to being a manager not a pharmacist).

the primary job itself isn’t about creativity on any level, just executing best practices

it’s poo poo lol

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

echinopsis posted:

I think the problem is that it’s not intellectually stimulating at all. no problem solving, except pain the rear end problems (and these are more problems related to being a manager not a pharmacist).

the primary job itself isn’t about creativity on any level, just executing best practices

it’s poo poo lol

all jobs become kinda like this eventually.

- more working with people and people problems, less time fooling with technical thing that got you interested in it in the first place

- lots of repetitive tasks, these only accumulate, when you are trying to continually improve a process it’s east to add new audits and procedures but hard to take them away.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
If you get hired at a distillery you'd have your dram job

:dadjoke:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Fortaleza posted:

If you get hired at a distillery you'd have your dram job

:dadjoke:

:redass:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

wow didn’t know you posted for a living

you didn’t?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
work so quiet yesterday
so quiet today

this pharmacy is a sinking ship. the big overseas discounters have ruined us

we’re going to merge with our other pharmacy when the new building is ready to go. I suppose it’s just a matter of bridging the gap

I’ve always got work to do, but the technicians run of work and there is stuff they could do that would help me but they don’t want to, so it still ends up as my problem even though they have the time to do it.

I hate being a manager. I’m a terrible manager because I never want anyone to feel bad or dislike me so if I ask them to do something and they do don’t it, I don’t ask again and make them do it I just accept it’s now my job.

I also get sick of taking on their mistakes. Sure I’m the manager and overall responsible, but if the mistake was clearly all theirs i’ll say “we didn’t do this correctly”, when it’s clearly not “we” but “you”.

I should have gotten a pay rise to be manager. I haven’t had a pay rise in forever and it’s not on the horizon. This is such a waste of the only life I have 😞

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you ever wish you were a person who didn’t give a poo poo? who just used the world and didn’t care what others thought.

actually get ahead in life because prepared to push past others

etc

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
my dream job is to post in fyad all day and be really really bad at it, so bad in fact that i'm compelled to make threads in yospos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fyad is like smelling farts and trying to guess what the person ate

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

you ever wish you were a person who didn’t give a poo poo? who just used the world and didn’t care what others thought.

actually get ahead in life because prepared to push past others

etc

sometimes, yes. also i think it’d be nice to be a dyed in the wool religious zealot of some type, certain that cosmic justice will prevail.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
god rolled the dice and up came "pathetic"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

DELETE CASCADE posted:

my dream job is to post in fyad all day and be really really bad at it, so bad in fact that i'm compelled to make threads in yospos

this isnt my dream job but does anyone know what it pays? id be willing to do it for a decent salary and benefits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it pays in tears, op.