Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SenatorIvy
Mar 1, 2003

Bush lied, Kentucky Fried.
I feel like the key to making it so doing what you love as a job doesn't turn into just "doing just another job" is that it has to rake in so much cash that when it changes over you have enough out of it to distract you when the thing you love becomes tedious at some point, no matter how briefly. The nature of Da Grind for The Man is such that it will poison everything you do. "changing things from the inside" being impossible and all, you're basically just letting your beloved hobby put on a suit and hope that it doesn't go all Businessman on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that still sounds more appealing than the same but just a boring job

maybe it’s about people. sometimes when i’m working with fun people I actually look forward to work. but not work, being at work with those people

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's definitely about people. doing stupid poo poo with people you like actually kinda rules. that's the big thing i really miss from oldjob

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I also reckon drinking on the job probably makes the day better and is a sign you work for cool people.

in my contract it says I can’t drink or be on drugs in the dispensary without the permission of the boss. drat if I owned my own pharmacy there would be a bar at the back

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

:hmmno:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

it's definitely about people. doing stupid poo poo with people you like actually kinda rules. that's the big thing i really miss from oldjob

I often work with only a couple people at a time tops (and often just two of us) and a LOT of middle aged women, and never any dudes

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Achmed Jones posted:

for a time, i worked with my best friends at an otherwise lovely factory job. it was actually very special.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

my dream job is to post in fyad all day and be really really bad at it, so bad in fact that i'm compelled to make threads in yospos

i wouldnt recommend it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the woman i work with most and spend more time with than anyone in my life parks in the disabled car park and gets so pissed off when the legit disabled person calls to ask her to move her car.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

the woman i work with most and spend more time with than anyone in my life parks in the disabled car park and gets so pissed off when the legit disabled person calls to ask her to move her car.

sorry ill try to remember to park in the correct spot from now on. didn’t know you got so upset about it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
once her window got smashed while parked on the street so she just decided she’d park in the car park behind the pharmacy. there isn’t a car park for her, most are set aside for other businesses . so she parks in the disabled car park

and then when the lady says please don’t do that she tells people the story as if other people are going to sympathise with the person parking in the disabled park when perfectly abled

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m
getting so pissed off right now thinking about it and all the other odd things she thinks are unreasonable

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

There’s a Seinfeld episode about that iirc

You should watch it and see how they resolved things

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
george kills his fiancee?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
get high on marijuana and don't give a poo poo, that's my advice

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
although i called out a doordash driver for parking in the disabled spot yesterday and i will continue to do so

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

DELETE CASCADE posted:

get high on marijuana and don't give a poo poo, that's my advice

marijuana is illegal in nz.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

lmao so much for paradise

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

in nz you can grow pot outside in december. but you don't because ????????

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
It's practically legal but they keep the law around so they can send black people to jail for it

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I imagine working a pharmacy is the drug equivalent of tending bar at one of those 200 beers on tap places

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

if you call it “pipeweed” you won’t get in trouble

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

RokosCockatrice posted:

I imagine working a pharmacy is the drug equivalent of tending bar at one of those 200 beers on tap places

yeah but i don’t get any fun samples at a pharmacy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I love my vocation and welcome it’s irrelevance once you nerds finally figure out how to AI properly

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
collecting scraps from global capitalism for low effort so that i can have a nice comfy experience seems fine.

if only i could turn down the screaming anxiety that i'm not doing enough or being enough.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ultravoices posted:

collecting scraps from global capitalism for low effort so that i can have a nice comfy experience seems fine.

if only i could turn down the screaming anxiety that i'm not doing enough or being enough.

therapy can help with this

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Repopulating the earth after a pandemic kills 87% of all men, but not me because of a monkey-paw wish

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 9, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Poopernickel posted:

Repopulating the earth after a pandemic kills 87% of all men, but not me because of a monkey-paw wish

this sounds terrible

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

mediaphage posted:

therapy can help with this

working on it.

my last trip around the medication merrygoround gave me a sneak preview of dementia (how do I get home? which is the key to open the door? what's that smell? oh just the pot burning because you forgot you put it on) so i am trying other things.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jesus lol

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

it was terrifying. it took a week or two off for things to spring back to normal.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress I bet

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zaxxon posted:

I wanna work at best buy so I can get the employee discount

Zaxxon was a cool game.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ultravoices posted:

working on it.

my last trip around the medication merrygoround gave me a sneak preview of dementia (how do I get home? which is the key to open the door? what's that smell? oh just the pot burning because you forgot you put it on) so i am trying other things.

good lord what med can even do this?

like obviously you don’t have to share if it gives away medical info you don’t want to share but that’s nuts.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The dream job for everyone is to be able to do what you like doing in bite-sized chunks of say 3-months at a time, while having the freedom to say "nah im good" and smoke weed and gently caress off for the next three months, if you want.

but welp number must go up so you better learn to deal with everything creative you like to do being ground to dust and monetized.

An cruiscin lan
Mar 4, 2020
https://i.gifer.com/Rutt.mp4

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

good lord what med can even do this?

like obviously you don’t have to share if it gives away medical info you don’t want to share but that’s nuts.

escitalopram (lexapro) -- apparently memory problems are a known side effect.

i think that was the fifth or sixth drug i've tried? i am trying long walks, sunlight, wholesome food, and good sleep instead, but i'll probably need to try something else once it gets dark out again.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ultravoices posted:

escitalopram (lexapro) -- apparently memory problems are a known side effect.

i think that was the fifth or sixth drug i've tried? i am trying long walks, sunlight, wholesome food, and good sleep instead, but i'll probably need to try something else once it gets dark out again.

oh man, yeah I know some people who take that but no stories like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i actually achieved my dream job in 2008 and it was just about everything i hoped it would be until i burned out big time in 2018 to the point where i was experiencing persistent intrusive suicidal ideation for about a year. since then i've moved to a different role in my same organization and it's mostly returned to the background levels i've had for most of my adult life.

i'd really like to be a translation editor since i have a fairly broad knowledge base and i love reading things i have no prior exposure to but those jobs pay peanuts. something for after i leave fedgov if i don't end up taking the nine millimeter retirement plan, i suppose.