Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ganbatte larry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat the first boss in Megami Tensei by the skin of my teeth and now I need to crawl back to base to heal without dying...the game is very simple but it's awesome seeing how much of the series DNA was present from the very beginning

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Just got OKHO’d by Zeus after forgetting to reapply my debuffs. I’m way underleveled for him, but I figured I’d give it a shot anyways. Time to get back in the lab and cook up some better demons, although I find it hard to get rid of some of my bosun companions (Daisoujou, Idun, Alice, Yoshitsune). Sometimes you just form an emotional attachment to them and have to feed them full of grimoires.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

Just got OKHO’d by Zeus after forgetting to reapply my debuffs. I’m way underleveled for him, but I figured I’d give it a shot anyways. Time to get back in the lab and cook up some better demons, although I find it hard to get rid of some of my bosun companions (Daisoujou, Idun, Alice, Yoshitsune). Sometimes you just form an emotional attachment to them and have to feed them full of grimoires.

You should delete and re-fuse most of them at some point when you have all the stat miracles, ends up with a difference of like 20-30 stat points.

I'm currently feeding up my level 75 Cleopatra to get her Demi-Fiend ready, I feel like Frolic will be amazing in that fight, but God it's tedious lol

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

All the Atlus 3DS games are on sale right now

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Lmfao at the level 99 baby demons wiping the floor with me with their jillion press turns

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Demi fiend progress: went away and raised a Garuda and Mephisto specifically to Seal him with the Avian supermove and stop his full heal at half health, mephisto as backup. They both failed. calmly returning the switch to the Dock and putting on Muppets Christmas Carol

Edit: it wouldn't be shameful to fight him on normal. It wouldn't

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 24, 2021

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Demi fiend progress: went away and raised a Garuda and Mephisto specifically to Seal him with the Avian supermove and stop his full heal at half health, mephisto as backup. They both failed. calmly returning the switch to the Dock and putting on Muppets Christmas Carol

You're already fighting him on Normal since they haven't added the ultra difficulty tier yet.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

You're already fighting him on Normal since they haven't added the ultra difficulty tier yet.

You fight him then. I'm upset.

I do like that after the way SMT bosses often punish you for having certain repels/nulls/etc having at the very least resist phys on everyone is an absolute necessity in this fight otherwise he gets a one hit crit on anyone you swap in lmao. I suspect that if you got repel/drain/null phys on your whole party you could really cheese the fight but I feel like that would take insane grinding and/or NG+

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 24, 2021

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You fight him then. I'm upset.

I do like that after the way SMT bosses often punish you for having certain repels/nulls/etc having at the very least resist phys on everyone is an absolute necessity in this fight otherwise he gets a one hit crit on anyone you swap in lmao. I suspect that if you got repel/drain/null phys on your whole party you could really cheese the fight but I feel like that would take insane grinding and/or NG+

does it not do the smt4 thing where having phys repel on everything means they spam almighty until you're dead

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Frenz posted:

All the Atlus 3DS games are on sale right now

Is EO Nexus...I've been waiting.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Is EO Nexus...I've been waiting.

Yeah, I picked that one up yesterday along with all the SMT stuff I didn’t pick up during the last sale a while back

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

mbt posted:

does it not do the smt4 thing where having phys repel on everything means they spam almighty until you're dead

Pretty sure he does. Single target though. That's why most of my demons just resisted phys

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mbt posted:

I don't think so, what your demons have doesn't seem to trigger said smt4 tantrum. I'm seeing conflicting info on it online, supposedly he uses gaea rage and instakills everyone if your MC has NDR but uh mine does and he isn't doing that. He seems to do it after maybe four or five turns unless you kill one of his demons, rhey have shitloads of health though so it's not easy to kill them on the side. it's definitely a fight you need to learn but it I'm enjoying it a lot

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Pretty sure he does. Single target though. That's why most of my demons just resisted phys

Did you beat him on Normal or hard. I'm not asking for tips I'm asking for permission to switch to normal

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Normal imps nervously hiding their phones this Christmas Eve so no family members look over their shoulder and see them reading about the merits of resist vs null physical damage in the insane JRPG bonus boss fight

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Did Accursed Poison fail to seal or did he just get unsealed and heal? it was like 100% success rate when my Yatagarasu used it, and never gave him any other status but seal. In my attempts he would always Mediarahan at the start of the turn after he got to half, foregoing even summoning a new demon to do so.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Did you beat him on Normal or hard. I'm not asking for tips I'm asking for permission to switch to normal

Hard lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Did Accursed Poison fail to seal or did he just get unsealed and heal? it was like 100% success rate when my Yatagarasu used it, and never gave him any other status but seal. In my attempts he would always Mediarahan at the start of the turn after he got to half, foregoing even summoning a new demon to do so.

Just failed to Seal, the skill description says its only a chance to inflict?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Just failed to Seal, the skill description says its only a chance to inflict?

I had assumed that it worked every time based on the success rate I had. Yatagarasu is my favorite demon so I made as badass of one as possible, he had over 100 of everything except strength and extra high agility/luck. Maybe Accursed Poison was affected by his huge stats. If so he was even more of the MVP of my team than I originally thought.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I had assumed that it worked every time based on the success rate I had. Yatagarasu is my favorite demon so I made as badass of one as possible, he had over 100 of everything except strength and extra high agility/luck. Maybe Accursed Poison was affected by his huge stats. If so he was even more of the MVP of my team than I originally thought.

Definitely feel like the stats/chances to hit/etc are too obfuscated in this one. I understand it doesn't try to be a perfect information game but I hate not knowing how effective my skills are based on unknown variables. I saw the other day that Fires of Sinai which I assumed was garbage based on the "medium damage to random enemies" thing is actually more damaging per hit than basically anything else lol

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Definitely feel like the stats/chances to hit/etc are too obfuscated in this one. I understand it doesn't try to be a perfect information game but I hate not knowing how effective my skills are based on unknown variables. I saw the other day that Fires of Sinai which I assumed was garbage based on the "medium damage to random enemies" thing is actually more damaging per hit than basically anything else lol

Does that mean those wind breath skills are good? I though it was weird high level demons are learning medium damage skills.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The medium 2-5 spells will do about as much or a little more overall than a severe will to a single demon but in my experience they don't ever hit more than twice on the same demon. Fire of Sinai hits 3-7 so it'll hit a single demon 3 times and likely outclass a severe every time especially if you get Metatron to +9 almighty. I never actually fused Metatron for my demifiend team because the demons used to fuse him were vital and would have cost me over half a million to replace lol.

The medium 2-5 spells are likely the most damaging non unique magic spells a demon can have, but you do have to contend with hitting things you don't want to in fights with multiple enemies.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPyyUNGMhCY

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

made some major changes to my build. ditched Charge entirely, now i'm full assault style MC. Yabusame Shot for trash mobs, Murakumo for bosses. opting for almighty pleromas over phys. now i just need like 800 glory to get both phys/almighty V potentials

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think I’m gonna move up to hard for NG+ to do Shiva. Made my build all focused around Muramasa with both almighty pleromas, crit aura and zealot, and a bunch of passives to stay alive.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

made some major changes to my build. ditched Charge entirely, now i'm full assault style MC. Yabusame Shot for trash mobs, Murakumo for bosses. opting for almighty pleromas over phys. now i just need like 800 glory to get both phys/almighty V potentials

This is what I ended up doing. Almighty Pleroma and High Almighty Pleroma actually stack so it's worth getting both

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

has anyone done insane gamer calculations on Dragon Eye? is it worth it at all? i'm thinking of dropping it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

has anyone done insane gamer calculations on Dragon Eye? is it worth it at all? i'm thinking of dropping it

It seemed completely negligible to me. Missing a hit in SMT is too catastrophic to rely on that kind of random chance, and it didn't really do enough to prevent misses to make it worth a slot

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

played like 5 hours of this today, killed lots of bosses and fused a bunch of hella strong support demons. i'm way too strong lol. next fiend is trumpeter tho.. could be a challenge

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

well he managed to take out Norn, but that was about it.. can't wait to fight demi now. i hope it's hard but not as dumb as the DDS fight

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i bought this yesterday and died like a bitch to the third demon I ever encountered lol. the music is already permanently seared into my brain though.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

finally got a chance to start playing properly, spent a solid hour getting annihilated by hard hydra, everything’s really speeded up since that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

i bought this yesterday and died like a bitch to the third demon I ever encountered lol. the music is already permanently seared into my brain though.

the music only gets better.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

those mandrakes are no joke

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

The final boss seemed pretty easy, but I guess I was overleveled from doing all the side quests, and I was on normal. Oh well, onto NG+. Can’t decide if I really want to go for all 4 endings

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

devil survivor is one of the best tactics games ive ever played.

you only have four units, made up of a human + two demons. each tactics encounter is a round of attacks + press turns. the abilities are the usual smt plus each family of demons has unique movement abilities (ignore terrain/teleport/double movement). the story is 'the world ends with you' in pre-nuke smt1 world, and the branching paths and alignments are well done.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Belphegor ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

is there any order to collect the keys in or does it not matter?