Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaAhab
Sep 15, 2011

Oh no, not again.
Hello, please redirect this if necessary, but this seemed the most appropriate place to post so as to not detract from the purpose of other threads.
I am currently writing a history of the Lord Schildkrote drama that took place in the early days of Let's Play. I am seeking comment from anyone who was around at that time with memory or primary source documentation of the event.
In particular, I am trying to find Let's Player's Schildkrote and Volcanostyle to request for comment on the event.
I am also seeking any kind of video evidence that it occurred such as the reveal video posted to UltraJman's original channel that the sociology experiment reveal was a lie to gently caress with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I was thinking about this the other day myself. I never saw the in-forum stuff, just a few videos that were completely out of context. One of them is this great retsupurae that got taken down but someone on Dailymotion miraculously put it up: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xf9li6

The other video I remember was a song parody of Can You Feel the Sunshine from Sonic R where the chorus was replaced with:

"It's time for UltraJMan
The highlight of your day
Everybody loves him
Though we think that's kinda gay"

Never have been able to track down that though. Whatever history you end up with, I'm quite excited to read or watch.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Can anyone give a brief outline of what happened? I've tried a brief search and all I get are some weird videos:

"Re: Angikirby - My Favorite Game" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR8DcsWFCVA
"The SchildKrote Penomenon" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyizPIjzWls
"A Schildkrote Foundation Announcement" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXtNqlwvFJw
"A Schildkrote Foundation Announcement" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlDMdijQhyk
"To the Anti-Schildkrote Foundation"

Some other videos with the same image and "Vladimir" keep cropping up:

"Re: What You Guys Think" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hoBWEEY8qM
"My response." - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJifS7PwhVg

They're all old videos, but the creators and commentators might still be around to help with more information if you get in touch with them.

GrandpaAhab
Sep 15, 2011

Oh no, not again.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Can anyone give a brief outline of what happened? I've tried a brief search and all I get are some weird videos:

Schildkrote was an early years Let's Player from the predominantly screenshot Let's Play time. He got in touch with UltraJman through the forums in some way that resulted in a whole armada of individuals on Something Awful chastizing people on Youtube for making bad and poor quality Let's Plays. UltraJman's channel was used as the main avenue to communicate with Youtube based Let's Players and Retsupurae was born out of the whole situation. A Youtube Let's Player named Grawl started a Let's Play forum for Youtube Let's Players to gather and share like on Something Awful, much to the ridicule of the Schildkrote folks. At one point, Schildkrote and crew made a video revealing the whole situation to be a sociological experiment led by Jman's professor at NYU and started participating in helping Youtube Let's Players increase their content quality, even joining the Let's Play Forum to do so. A few days later, they made another video laughing at the gullibility of the entire community. At some point, Jman's channel was banned and it eventually fizzled out, but boy howdy was it an interesting time to be around.

Thank you for the videos you both managed to scrounge up, they're helpful to put in the list. I'm planning on making a short documentary video of the events for the sake of letting people know about this dumpster fire of early internet history. More than anything, I want to get ahold of those original reveal videos about the experiment angle. They were absolutely ridiculous.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

GrandpaAhab posted:

A Youtube Let's Player named Grawl started a Let's Play forum for Youtube Let's Players to gather and share like on Something Awful

Yeah, I was a member and one of its last active ones (thinking back, my Dark Souls 3 LP might have been the last LP ran on there). Hell, I run the Discord that was used by some of the leftovers for a while before it became more of a general hangout.

That Let's Play Forum was called... Let's Play Forum (LPF, in short.) It was a place mostly populated by goons, though, some people only joined SA after they joined LPF. Like me, I pretty much found LPF trying to find a place to share SA-Style VLPs. I would have come to SA but I didn't think it was worth it to get a credit card just to join one (1) webforum. Plus it was the forum where everyone tries way too hard to be funny. Still is, but I can bear it better now by making even worse jokes.

When I joined LPF we had a pretty big focus on learning to make better videos and a strong feedback culture. New members were encouraged, if not at least culturally required, to submit a video for feedback. You had to earn "Status" before you were allowed to post an LP. Something I never really liked but whatchoo gonna do? For a while, despite my problems with the way it handled things I almost had a sense of pride for not being an LPer that started on SA, for some reason. Anyway, place is dead now whoop de doo. You probably have to thank it for me being on this forum today. Chances are I would have come here sooner or later but the hell knows how that would have panned out?

I didn't know the Schildkrote gang tried to mock the place.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 29, 2022

GrandpaAhab
Sep 15, 2011

Oh no, not again.

IGgy IGsen posted:

You had to earn "Status" before you were allowed to post an LP. Something I never really liked but whatchoo gonna do?

I didn't know the Schildkrote gang tried to mock the place.

Oh gosh, I was on the earliest crew to join that forum and it was in a time when you just had to say "Hey Grawl, I make LPs, gimme status," and he would just do it. About a month later he implemented some pretty strict rules about needing to have been mentored by other LPers and pass a thread test or something.

Anyway, yeah, it was a subject of ridicule for the Schildkrote crew, at one point I remember there being a very public exchanging of nasty words between Grawl and Schildkrote et al.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

GrandpaAhab posted:

Schildkrote was an early years Let's Player from the predominantly screenshot Let's Play time. He got in touch with UltraJman through the forums in some way that resulted in a whole armada of individuals on Something Awful chastizing people on Youtube for making bad and poor quality Let's Plays. UltraJman's channel was used as the main avenue to communicate with Youtube based Let's Players and Retsupurae was born out of the whole situation.

The opposite is the case, this was done off the back of retsupurae, or at least afterwards - the original retsupurae thread was in late Feb 2008 and lasted a (frenzied) week until it got moved to YCS, whereas the Schildkrote stuff wasn't until mid-April.

More helpfully - Schildkrote did an abbreviated writeup himself on this https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2822819&userid=101893#post342572618, though, the videos are still lost to time.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Did we ever get a SSLP and VLP tag/filter made?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TitusGroen posted:

It was mulled over, but the consensus was that it would just clutter the forum up and so no, we did not get it.

ThatNateGuy
Oct 15, 2004

"Is that right?"
Slippery Tilde
This subforum is one of the main reasons I come back to SA. There's so much done right here. The regulars put out awesome content and the mods do a sterling job with the garbage in, garbage out style of moderating.

A sub for streamers I'd be down for.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There used to be a thread for streamers, but it was mostly just them posting when they went online - and that's much better handled by notifications on the platforms.

I don't know how to make better use of it, but if I could think of something I'd definitely propose it.
Streaming requires just enough interactivity, that it's easier to use the bastardization of IRC that Twitch has implemented.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

vtuber subforum lol

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Absolutely The gently caress Not

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Danaru posted:

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
i don't think anyone would post there at this point, except for the people who really shouldn't

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Danaru posted:

\

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TitusGroen posted:

the bigger issue was that the filter wouldn't work under the SAMart/Ask-Tell second column. Those aren't filterable. Just... tags for lookin' at. :thatsradium: Instead, the SSLP and VLP tags are now just useable tags... which ARE filterable.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also, IK switch-up...

tithin, Leal, and PurpleXIV are now IKs for SALP. feel free to annoy these people if you need title changes, tag changes, or other miscellany stuff done for your threads.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I am sounding a general ALARM

haha what posted:

figured id make a thread over here since its more on the TECH side of things

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1648883351233896448
https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/14415587638029-Imgur-Terms-of-Service-Update-April-19-2023-

given this news, it sounds like a ton of poo poo just might be lost to time forever. is this something we should be concerned about?

how feasible is it from a coding perspective to be able to save whats been posted on sa as a whole in the time allotted? i'm not tech saavy at all, but this sounds extremely bad

I have vague memories of when Pixiv and WaffleImages went down. If you don't know how to backup sslps then idk look for old Baldurk post or something. Best wishes

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Jeffrey and astral are working on a solution, but it's probably not a bad idea to have your own backups of anything you really care about.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah this is bad.

Fortunately, LP itself is likely to be less affected since we have popularised the use of LPix and the LP Archive for... more or less exactly this reason. But for everyone else, or anyone who was using imgur for SSLPs, yeesh. Wish there was something more helpful we could do beyond waiting for whatever Jeff and Astral can cook up and hoping it's enough. It sucks.

If you make content, please keep your own backups to whatever extent you are able.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm still amazed at the work Baldurk has been doing with lpix.org, and entirely on his own with no financial support, despite several people having offered.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I do really wonder how Baldurk is doing, I haven't seen him in a whiiiile.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
For now only images NOT uploaded using an account are affected so the blow of this is going to be less severe than those panicking and telling people to not use imgur in a big huff might make you believe.

You should still exercise caution because you don't know what will change in the future.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do you have to pay for an imgur account?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do you have to pay for an imgur account?

No.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

No(t yet)

FTFY

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IGgy IGsen posted:

For now only images NOT uploaded using an account are affected so the blow of this is going to be less severe than those panicking and telling people to not use imgur in a big huff might make you believe.

You should still exercise caution because you don't know what will change in the future.
The vast majority of people don't have an account on imgur to upload to - so it's gonna affect a lot of people.

Why do you think imgur are doing this? They want more people to register, so they can convert more people to pay for the service.
This is all in service of an IPO, which is how every VC company eventually ends up.

EDIT: Here's how the company that owns imgur now presents themselves:

quote:

MediaLab is a media & technology company focused on acquiring and growing properties and global brands. The organization is a unique combination of private equity, holding company and operating entity. We continue to expand and are proud of the prominent market position of our brands.

Disaster capitalists, the lot of them.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I do really wonder how Baldurk is doing, I haven't seen him in a whiiiile.

I'm doing OK - I'm not around LP (or SA really) as much anymore but I'm still here. I'm not really going to get involved with saving imgur since it seems like more involved and capable people are already on the case. I'm going to try and sort through the archive queue this weekend since some people do use imgur for hosting, it's been languishing for a while because of irl stuff.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Good to hear. As always, take your time. IRL stuff comes first.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

baldurk posted:

I'm doing OK - I'm not around LP (or SA really) as much anymore but I'm still here. I'm not really going to get involved with saving imgur since it seems like more involved and capable people are already on the case. I'm going to try and sort through the archive queue this weekend since some people do use imgur for hosting, it's been languishing for a while because of irl stuff.

Sincere thanks for all the effort you put in.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

baldurk posted:

Thanks for all the good work, Baldurk. Doing any kind of screenshot LP wouldn't be as easy, or hell barely even possible, without Lpix.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's no exaggeration to say Let's Play would not be the same without you.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

baldurk posted:

I just wanted to thank you and say how much I appreciate the great job you did with the archive, even if I don't read them as much nowadays.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Feedback: Replace "play" with "slay" in the forum subtitle please.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

"Let us slay. Please may we slay. Allow us to slay."

:hmmyes:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Alternatively, a simple "We had to do it to 'em." or "They had it coming." would probably suffice.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
We slay 'em so you don't have to.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I'd like to propose attacking and killing people who don't post their new lets play in the new lets play thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Harsh but fair