Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Hello, LP.

Wanna talk?

You've always been able to PM us to ask about forum stuff, and there's always been QCS, but there's a lot of scope for issues to be too broad for a PM and too specific to raise in QCS, so, following in the footsteps of a few other subforums we're opening this thread for any discussion you might want to have about the running and operation of LP, and taking this opportunity to more actively solicit your feedback. This won't be a chat thread like the Sandcastle sometimes is, but you can chat to us all the same about whatever you might feel needs chatting about, and we'll chat back, probably.

You can ask or tell us whatever you'd like, but also here are some prompts:

• As we see it, LP has been running smoothly for years now with only occasional dust-ups in individual threads warranting moderation. Are we wrong? Are there bigger picture issues you think we're missing?
  • LP's rules have shrunk and simplified as specific problems that used to demand solutions (eg: too many Pokémon LPs, minimal-effort day one LPs) have faded out. Think we should tinker with the rules more?
  • Do you have an issue with an individual mod for which you want a response or apology but don't want to call for our heads?
  • Do you feel any particular part of LP is underserved by the mod team?
  • Is there something specific you think we should be doing, but aren't?
  • How do you think we're doing, in general?

The only real restriction here is that we're only here to talk about Let's Play, not Games (which has its own mod feedback thread) or Something Awful in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Everything seems fine to me. All is running smoothly, there’s no recent LP-related drama, the mods are doing a solid job.

Only suggestion is maybe another contest is probably due, but I know how much effort those can be to set up.

Keep up the good work!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Honestly, things are pretty good here. I don't think we should mess with the rules until a specific issue comes up.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ultrafilter posted:

Honestly, things are pretty good here. I don't think we should mess with the rules until a specific issue comes up.

No, we need more arbitrary rules. Every LP update which is dividable by 17 with a remainder of 6 must include a picture of a cabbage now! Of course, that doesn't apply on Mondays.

The mod team is doing a fine job. I've been following this subforum for a literal decade now and it's still doing fine. Keep up the good work.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 20, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

cant cook creole bream posted:

No, we need more arbitrary rules. Every LP update which is dividable by 17 with a remainder of 6 must include a picture of a cabbage now! Of course, that doesn't apply on Mondays.

How about Iambic Pentameter Wednesdays?

The LP forum has been running smoothly for as long as I can remember, the mods are doing a fine job with the place.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm glad I could help end the restrictions on Pokemon LPs. Just me, no one else. Probably.

Very happy with how LP is, still going strong after all these years. Only thing I'd want is for more of my LPs to be rated 5, thank you.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

All's well, as far as my lurking self can see. What is the minimum threshold for thread ratings to be visible?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I think everyone is doing wonderful and I wish Dan would probate Circlmastr some more.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

From a reader perspective, I don't see any issues. Threads seem to run smoothly, the zero-effort LP's naturally weed themselves out, haven't felt like there's any major rules needed to be added.

Skimming the rules post, only one thing that I noted:

quote:

And lastly, if you do end up posting something, beware the Archive Lock. Threads in LP that have not had a new post in two months will fall into Archive Lock status. If a thread is archive locked it can only be reopened again by arcane sysadmin magic. Keep this in mind if you're going to be putting an LP on an extended hiatus. Please contact either one of us mods or Jeffery of YOSPOS for help in unlocking a thread.
Is this still a thing that happens? I seem to remember seeing a lot of threads go idle longer than this but don't appear to be locked.

Mega64 posted:

Only suggestion is maybe another contest is probably due, but I know how much effort those can be to set up.
I'll second this as a cool suggestion, but also understand that it's a pain in the rear end to set up/run these.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Locked for Archiving might still happen, I think? It's definitely a lot longer than 2 months though, yeah. (E; if so, it's so long now that it's not even a worry. Threads that haven't been posted in for more than a year could still be posted in right now.)

As for feedback stuff, I can't actually remember the last time I saw any (noteworthy) mod action at all here honestly. Everything I can think of is either just a 6er for the New LPs Thread or really, really old. Presumably that means things are running in that way where y'all're doing you're job so well that it hits that point where it looks like you don't have much to do at all.

Of course, things are also way more chill than they've probably ever been so that'd help too.

I'unno, maybe we just need more comedy 6ers.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 21, 2021

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

GrandmaParty posted:

I think everyone is doing wonderful and I wish Dan would probate Circlmastr some more.

:same:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Olive Branch posted:

All's well, as far as my lurking self can see. What is the minimum threshold for thread ratings to be visible?

It's 20. It's been adjusted down a few times; I'm not sure of the history but I remember it being 50 once.

If there's anything I'd want to say to the good people of LP it's this; please rate threads, especially good ones!

MagusofStars posted:

Is this still a thing that happens? I seem to remember seeing a lot of threads go idle longer than this but don't appear to be locked.

Archives has been busted for a while. What's in the rules is how it's supposed to work, and presumably will work again one day.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021
I think everything is fine honestly, granted I haven’t been here long and beside most people here I’m basically a fetus in that regard.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mega64 posted:

I also enjoyed the contests and would like to participate in more of them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fedule posted:

If there's anything I'd want to say to the good people of LP it's this; please rate threads, especially good ones!
...Honestly, I tend to forget thread ratings exist. :blush:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The only thing I want to mention is, the LP Beach is absolutely a fantastic place to crosspost SA LPs. Most of its added value now that the whole lowtax shitstorm has passed is for people to crosspost LPs so that friends without an SA account don't run into the paywall every so often.

Sadly, a side-effect of it being mostly used for crossposting is that the place seems a bid 'dead'. There's barely any conversation there, every thread is mostly just a list of LP updates with nothing in between.

I don't think there's much we can do about that. But since the LP Beach now plays an important role in the spread and awareness of high-quality VLPs and SSLPs to parts of the internet we might otherwise not reach, I think it's in our best interests if we as an SA subforum and the mods in particular continue being on a friendly basis with the Beach mods.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Crosspeice posted:

I'm glad I could help end the restrictions on Pokemon LPs. Just me, no one else. Probably.

Very happy with how LP is, still going strong after all these years. Only thing I'd want is for more of my LPs to be rated 5, thank you.

Fedule posted:

I only vote, if I'm phone posting and misspressing. Usually that ends up with a 2.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 21, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Fedule posted:

Archives has been busted for a while. What's in the rules is how it's supposed to work, and presumably will work again one day.

Could we change that? I like the idea of threads in the LP forum being left open - perhaps only archiveable if they're closed for a long period of time...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Threads that haven't been updated in over two years are still open and available to post in. Which may work out well for me as I might keep the April Fools LP's going and have been toying with some ideas.

While looking back I encountered an "LP" that was just someone trying to shill funds for Lowtax's spinal surgery.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Amnesty for RichardGaminGo

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The one thing I'm glad, and I don't know if this is a change due to modship or overall SA culture, is that we finally cut the gently caress down on the ironic self-hatred around here. Like calling what we do a "pseudo-hobby" and preening ourselves over how we are about quality but we are also absurdly self-aware about what a waste of time this is. Like thank gently caress that's gone.

LPs are goddamn hard. You need to be a writer, a competent gamer, a video editor an entertainer and potentially a skilled commentator all at once. It requires legitimate and serious work. I dunno why we spent years mocking ourselves for putting this work into LPs despite them being incredibly celebrated and fondly remembered. Sure you might not be running up a Patreon number with these skills, but does it make them any less meaningful or the experiences we produce any less enjoyable and memorable? Of course not, it's partly why we still keep doing this.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Fedule posted:

How it's supposed to work is anything in archives is irretrievably moved to the archive system and you need to start a new thread, but, it was nice to have an unarchive button. But yeah archiving in any sense is off entirely right now.

Quackles posted:

Could we change that? I like the idea of threads in the LP forum being left open - perhaps only archiveable if they're closed for a long period of time...

The archive system is meaningfully cheaper to run than the live system, I believe it's been said, so they're probably not going to give LP special dispensation.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

The one thing I'm glad, and I don't know if this is a change due to modship or overall SA culture, is that we finally cut the gently caress down on the ironic self-hatred around here.

This post was technically about subforum rules but I'm going to link it anyway. Probably read the rest of the mod/ex-mod posts on that page too tbh.

Fedule posted:

It's not like Slowbeef and Zorak did everything one way that was bad and then Geop (and briefly Chip) and Jordan and I came along and said "what if LP was Good instead?" and started this master plan and now everything's great. This whole thing's a community, and a community built around a creative endeavour at that; there's only so much one can manage a thing like this when your most meaningful tool is to briefly exclude people from it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mega64 posted:

Agreed. It's been a while. I don't want to just fall into the trap of doing holiday themed contests... but I DO have something brewing...

GrandmaParty posted:

Hmm, maybe one day we should give every SALPer IK status so we can all probe CirclMastr more. :thunk:

Carbon dioxide posted:

I think it's in our best interests if we as an SA subforum and the mods in particular continue being on a friendly basis with the Beach mods.

All good there. I believe we all get along, though honestly we don't all post together a ton. JamieTheD and I have been collaborating on-and-off for years.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

The one thing I'm glad, and I don't know if this is a change due to modship or overall SA culture, is that we finally cut the gently caress down on the ironic self-hatred around here. Like calling what we do a "pseudo-hobby" and preening ourselves over how we are about quality but we are also absurdly self-aware about what a waste of time this is. Like thank gently caress that's gone.

I'd like to chalk it up to the overall cultural shift, not just in SA, but how LPs are viewed at large. I have no evidence for this of course, ha.

I WAS on SALP for that and yeah it was a strange period. I was definitely told to gently caress off for being an ironic shitlord during that time, which annoyed me because I thought put a lot of heart and soul into my LPs. Ah well. I'm of an "LP and let LP" mindset, and was too during the the Great LP Schism. I mean, if you look at my catalog, I've done both absurdly high effort LPs and extremely low effort gimmick ones. I love self-deprecating humour, indulge in it myself, but have never viewed LP as more than a hobby. It was never self-hating, and honestly, I don't believe that lot of the people who were accused of being self-hating back then actually WERE self-hating. Some of the funniest and most well made LPs I saw at the time were from that cohort. They were high effort. They were entertaining. Yeah, they were self-deprecating, but whatever. Who cares?

Simultaneously, yeah, I agree, it was a lot more for other people and it really loving sucked when they got told off for "caring too much". Why shouldn't people be allowed to give a poo poo about what they do? I've managed to transfer skills learned mucking about LPing into realworld work, for example. But I believe there's room for both kinds of LPers on the forum. What I wasn't a fan of was the attitude that there was "One Way" to LP. I remember in Ye Olde Sandcastles of yore, you'd occasionally see people come in with test posts for a VLP of a JRPG, only to be told the equivalent of "Hey, we don't do VLPs of JRPGs around here!"

I am glad of the existence of several VLPs of JRPGs in the Archive so we can be done with that silly notion.

Anyways, I'm rambling about LP history now. Perhaps I feel guilty for the Blasting Zone.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I've said it before in some thread, probably. But I think SALP has just gotten better over time. Part of that came with a big shift in overall internet culture but it's probably mostly due to all of us being cool peeps who do good stuff. Just want to say this because I haven't done a traditional LP in years now but I still check out your threads, I just don't really post much if at all.

The mods are doing a great job too of course always did, really, especially that one time I was probated for drunkposting a year after it happened simply because I expressed probation-envy when someone else was hit with a probe.
On a more serious note, even though, I don't make use of it myself, I think allowing people to have a donation or Patreon link in their op was a much needed and long overdue change to the rules and I'm glad it happened. I sometimes forget it's a thing simply because this is SA and that was so hard against the rules for a long time.

I really don't want this to be a hugbox but right now I can't really find anything to get critical about and I don't care enough to go looking.

Note: I was sober when I started writing this post.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
putty doesn't post here or make LPs anymore, so the state of SALP is good & cool imho

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
sally and crows' containment ward ironically wore off just a few minutes ago

Putty fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 25, 2021

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
the mods should step in and help update LPs so I don't feel bad when I haven't gotten to an update.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Putty posted:

sally and crows' containment ward ironically wore off just a few minutes ago

Finish Sonic Forces, you lazy gently caress.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Finish Sonic ForcesSkyrim Modded, you lazy gently caress.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

nine-gear crow posted:

Finish Sonic Forces, you lazy gently caress.

Here, nerd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1rCiZ1X-ro

I have a zip of Fallout - The Frontier unpatched sitting on my desktop right now so maybe one day.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i was to renew the putty warding runes but...

drat, now i am going to destroy them.

(the Jenga LP is still my fav)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Now reveal the secret of Norm.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lmao crow probed for dissin Chris Jericho. when you go at the Undisputed Champion, you best not miss!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

IGgy IGsen posted:

especially that one time I was probated for drunkposting a year after it happened simply because I expressed probation-envy when someone else was hit with a probe.

i'm here for you, IGgy!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blindsided Sally posted:

lmao crow probed for dissin Chris Jericho. when you go at the Undisputed Champion, you best not miss!

I mean modern Jericho is kind of a shithead, but Attitude Era Jericho was pretty cool.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean modern Jericho is kind of a shithead, but Attitude Era Jericho was pretty cool.

I fully agree with you but you can't post that in the wrestling imp zone named after a reference to the text messages of a guy who did that cool murder suicide that everybody loves so much. (Personally I think it was a loving tragedy and think it's tasteless to name your subforum after that, but hey, I'm just one guy. And this is LP anyway. The most sane* subforum on SA.)

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
considering that the cspam/fyad feud somehow keeps escalating and shows no signs of ending anytime soon LP is v much an island of sanity

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'm quite happy with how things are run these days; I've been following the subforum since I joined in '11, and I don't think things have done much but improve over time. That said, I'm also not active enough to get involved in any drama. I was really impressed at the efficiency (and patience) of... I think it was Crow(?) dealing with some of the crap that went on in the Pokemon Reborn thread. That thread was such a beautiful, disastrous mess.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

StillFullyTerrible posted:

considering that the cspam/fyad feud somehow keeps escalating and shows no signs of ending anytime soon LP is v much an island of sanity

lp is an island of sanity and byob is an island of chill and both are good friends that hang out sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Maybe we should feud with someone. Trad games thinks its all hot poo poo and should be a top forum, but trad games is where nerds go to talk about board games. LP is where you go to talk about people playing board games.