Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

The very sight of him was enough to make Bush, who had already had one drink from the well, feel consumed with thirst all over again.

Dev Diary Zero: The Vision
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/victoria-3-dev-diary-0.1475078/

quote:

Hello everyone!

Yes, you’re seeing this right. No, this isn’t a belated April Fools joke. After all these years, and all these memes, Victoria 3 really is confirmed at last. I’m Martin “Wiz” Anward, the Game Director of Victoria 3, and it’s my absolute pleasure to finally be able to reveal what I have been working on since 2018 (around the time I stepped down as Game Director of Stellaris).

So what, then, is Victoria 3? I can start by telling you that it’s most definitely a proper Victoria game - namely a game with a core focus on Economy, Politics and Internal Country Management and with the iconic Victoria Pop system not just included as a core mechanic but made even deeper than in either of its predecessors.

Though Victoria 3 is its own game and not an iteration on Victoria 2, our ambition is to create a worthy successor that stays true to the core values of the Victoria series while using what have learned over the last decade in terms of making games more accessible - so that we can use that accessibility to build an even deeper game for old and new players alike!

Our vision for Victoria 3 is to create what we call a ‘Society Sim’ - a game that is first and foremost about the internal workings of the 19th-century country that you are playing and how its society is shaped over the course of the game. Politics, Economy and Diplomacy are the three most important parts of the game - Wars are of course a part of the game (just as they were a part of the Victorian age), but Victoria 3 is *not* a wargame or a game about map painting.

Oh, and before you start speculating crazily about what is and is not in the game: No, there is no mana!

Now, there is going to be a lot of dev diaries going forward to dig into the mechanics of the game, but to wrap up this dev diary I want to briefly touch on the four game design pillars that we have been following when designing and building Victoria 3:

National Gardening: Building, shaping, tweaking and evolving your nation is the first and foremost focus of the game. Events outside your country’s borders can naturally affect your country in significant ways, but the game should never rely on war to provide the main source of enjoyment.
Diplomatic Eminence: War is a continuation of diplomacy, and everything that is achievable by war should also be achievable through diplomacy (even if that diplomacy sometimes comes at the point of a gun).
Everything is Political: Politics is at the heart of Victoria 3, and all major features should in some way tie back into the Pops and Interest Groups that form the core of the game’s politics.
Era of Change: The Victorian era was a time of immense change politically, technologically, culturally, militarily and socially, and these changes should be reflected in the experience of playing a campaign of Victoria 3.

That’s all for this week, but we’ll see you next week, when we’ll be talking about the return of the Victoria Pop System and the introduction of Dependents.

We'll also have a lot more exciting news to share as we go, so make sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Discord, the Paradox Forums and the official Victoria 3 website to stay up to date.

IGN reporter's overview of the game:
Everything We Know So Far

Steam store page

Paradox games thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_NBtwY9y6s

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

A good OP, and that reddit post makes the game look REALLY promising. Wiz is making goons proud.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No mana

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Where has the time gone?

Toilet Rascal

Well hello

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Pretty much mandatory

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Can't wait to burn Capitalists to the ground and turn my country into an advanced Autocratic Workers Community Welfare State.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

]

pdxjohan posted:

Pretty much mandatory

dont you mean... manadatory

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What is the official next paradox game to make fun of for not coming out? East vs West?

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Gonna do Turbo Radical Reconstruction as the USA and then switch to commie workers co-ops.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

I hope there's a lot of cool alt-ideology flags for every single country like in victoria 2

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

The very sight of him was enough to make Bush, who had already had one drink from the well, feel consumed with thirst all over again.

hobbesmaster posted:

What is the official next paradox game to make fun of for not coming out? East vs West?

Vampire Counts: Lucifer Vult

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The biggest test is going to be making China playable without breaking the game on its knees.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Takanago posted:

I hope there's a lot of cool alt-ideology flags for every single country like in victoria 2

See this post Paradox! Do this!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

My body is ready.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Takanago posted:

this is a day one requirement

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I am so excited for this game.

quote:

Loyalist POPs (and Radicals) can die off, which causes intergenerational conflict. If you had an era of prosperity that generated a lot of Loyalists, and then they die, the younger generation with worse economic opportunities might suddenly be not so happy and change the loyalty and attitude of your Interest Groups.

They're literally modeling the divide between the Boomers and Millenials currently happening.

This game is going to be amazing

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The Anatolian Republic better be a formable tag.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

I was not even slightly interested in V3 before this poo poo got announced and now I'm on the Hype Express to anarchist utopia

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

I was not even slightly interested in V3 before this poo poo got announced and now I'm on the Hype Express to anarchist utopia

heh.. utopia, thats right

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yes. YES! Excited for capitalists to built a glass factroy while 1.2 million anarcho-liberals rampage across Haiti in 1845.

I just hope this time the devs actually sim a game past 1880 and remember to not let coffee bring down the global economy

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

arcanum mod when

VostokProgram
Feb 20, 2014

capitalists has built a factroy

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Gonna make so many workers co-ops in my anarchist USA.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Monarch mana replaced with country capacity

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

Horned Rat-Sempai Noticed Me!

Gaius Marius posted:

See this post Paradox! Do this!

Flag Chat is Best Chat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1yYHVTdViA

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

never thought this day would. still not entirely convinced, but willing to be surprised. and it's gamepass so fortunately not a huge barrier to entry

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

Sad it doesn't use the Imperator terrain map, can't stand the CK3 look.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

having a prewritten op as a dev is cheating, mods??

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sad it doesn't use the Imperator terrain map, can't stand the CK3 look.

the map appearance is reputedly very much wip

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

having a prewritten op as a dev is cheating, mods??

I'm not a dev anymore 😭

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

wish i had something more substantive to add than 'im really fuckin hype for this game," but here we are

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.

Soiled Meat

Sick

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

Horned Rat-Sempai Noticed Me!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I just hope this time the devs actually sim a game past 1880 and remember to not let coffee bring down the global economy

I'm pretty sure that's not a bug

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mood.

VostokProgram
Feb 20, 2014

They have a really pretty loading screen in the diary:

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I'm hype.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

DelilahFlowers posted:

Gonna do Turbo Radical Reconstruction as the USA and then switch to commie workers co-ops.

What if John Brown had succeeded.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

DelilahFlowers posted:

Extremely same I'm already fantasizing about it for my first game. Not knowing how to play for the first few decades and horribly loving up is just accurately simulating pre-Civil War American leadership. Surely I won't be bad enough to lose to Mexico and if I do that's an even cooler timeline.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hype!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.

Fallen Rib

Let me preorder goddamnit, just take my money