Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Well sure, but I'm still not gonna play as Britain if I have to micro every squad of colonial soldiers across Africa and Asia.

you could play as Good Britain and release all your colonies and territories at the start of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wiz posted:

We are however turning most of it into subjects (this is a thing we're doing in general with a lot of established colonies), which is one of the things that makes Britain a lot more manageable to play in V3 vs V2.

This sounds great. Will this allow for the simulation of local actors in the colonies annexing random indigenous (I've forgotten the term you guys are using for non-state polities) territory too?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

babypolis posted:

you could play as Good Britain and release all your colonies and territories at the start of the game

That shouldn't be something you can just do with a click of a button - functioning states don't just naturally occur for free.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Gort posted:

That shouldn't be something you can just do with a click of a button - functioning states don't just naturally occur for free.

You're not totally wrong here, but I think most British colonies at this point were mostly self-governing and could pretty readily become "independent" states (depending on your definition of such a state). I do wonder about if and what a "Commonwealth" mechanic would look like though, that might help facilitate this type of relationship.

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 21, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
You could probably represent them as "territories" or colonial administration type deals.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

You're not totally wrong here, but I think most British colonies at this point were mostly self-governing and could pretty readily become "independent" states (depending on your definition of such a state). I do wonder about if and what a "Commonwealth" mechanic would look like though, that might help facilitate this type of relationship.

The partition of India has a death toll estimated between hundreds of thousands and two million. You can't just wake up one morning and say, "The British Empire is all independent states today, get on with it". The transition from colony to independent state is a labour of years, and doing it too quickly or without proper preparation risks civil war and multi-generational international disputes that lead to war.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Crazycryodude posted:

It would be nice if the Admiralty could just handle patrolling it though instead of requiring the Prime Minister to personally micro the deployment of the East Indies Squadron

they already have this feature in EU4

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Gort posted:

The partition of India has a death toll estimated between hundreds of thousands and two million. You can't just wake up one morning and say, "The British Empire is all independent states today, get on with it". The transition from colony to independent state is a labour of years, and doing it too quickly or without proper preparation risks civil war and multi-generational international disputes that lead to war.

Depending on how the CB system works, they could probably do this by giving de jure claims on territory to various different colonial subjects once released.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gort posted:

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Abstract fronts rather than individual provinces would be 100% the correct move from both a simulation and a gameplay perspective

I don't understand what you want to do with this. What do you think should influence who controls what? What would an army "capture". Are you saying you want an Imperator grid? Or just that you want something like EU4 where there are sections of a state and you don't necessarily need to control and entire state.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I think repurposing/combining the Hoi4 Theatre/Front "battle planner" with the Naval "missions" of EU4/Hoi4 could be a good direction to add some automation to armies without removing the players ability to play with armies.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I don't understand what you want to do with this. What do you think should influence who controls what? What would an army "capture". Are you saying you want an Imperator grid? Or just that you want something like EU4 where there are sections of a state and you don't necessarily need to control and entire state.

I'd like to increase the trends of smaller, more granular provinces where economic and social activity primarily takes place, but with the player largely interacting on the larger state level. I believe I:R is like this though I have not played it. Military would function on fronts procedurally generated from these states or, if the states are large enough, they may just be sufficient themselves. Generally paradox games neither do a very good simulation of or make a very fun game out of army movements.

So like, as Prussia in 1870 you'd have whatever armies committed to the Alsatian front, and then as that progresses and breaks through it may open a few more for you to select how you're going to proceed: Ile-de-France, Hauts-de-France to the north, Bourgogne to the south. Fewer meaningless choices and busywork and more large, strategic, consequential decisions. I also do not want to attach artillery brigades to individual divisions, but an army focus on artillery is great. The naval system in a lot of Paradox games is already like this - large regions with a mission given rather than moving individual ships.

I do not want this to be an automated system, the trend to make complicated systems and then give players the choice of automating them away is a bad one which paradox has fortunately moved away from after the disaster of HOI3.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

What is ideal for V3: Little 3d men and horses, or NATO Counters?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

Little wooden toy soldiers

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

DrSunshine posted:

I think I'm in the minority but I don't really like the little 3d men in any paradox game. Give me counters any day.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'm the opposite and don't get why people always want to put NATO symbols into every game. There's probably people who wanted them in Imperator.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Counters but you can only use kriegsspiel ones

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Gort posted:

I'm the opposite and don't get why people always want to put NATO symbols into every game. There's probably people who wanted them in Imperator.

Same and i like the detail of the little soldiers having country/period appropriate clothing.

But then i was never a WW2 nerd or whatever.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Little dudes damage my sense of verisimilitude and counters of any form increase my sense of verisimilitude.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Little men are great but only if they do the thing the CK3 little men do and play out different scenes depending on who is winning.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like historical accuracy so I want NATO counters for games based on time periods before NATO was a thing.

(I do wish there were more visual differences between units in Hoi4 tho. EU4 has absolutely beautiful and unique unit designs for virtually every relevant nation)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Let's compromise and make 3D men out of millions of counters

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I think it's a fun meme when people incessantly for NATO counters (see also: Vicky4 when) but yeah the animated guys are way better.

For CK3 in particular though I wish you got different sprites for all-cav armies.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Nah the animated guys suck.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I hate watching them walk between provinces. It looks gross

I wish they'd just go all in on the boardgame aesthetics and make them look like pieces

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

Little wooden toy soldiers

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It should be 3d models of little men and Paradox should definitely spend a lot of time and resources on developing a uniform designer so we can make them look really cool on the victory screen.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

You know in war movies how they have all the toy soldiers on the map and the generals push them around with little broom things? The cursor should look like that type of broom

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

You know in war movies how they have all the toy soldiers on the map and the generals push them around with little broom things? The cursor should look like that type of broom

:hmmyes:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

I always liked it when in a game I selected a "build a building" or "repair a thing" option and the cursor changed into a hammer or a wrench. :kimchi:

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Mantis42 posted:

It should be 3d models of little men and Paradox should definitely spend a lot of time and resources on developing a uniform designer so we can make them look really cool on the victory screen.

The uniform designer is planned for the Kaiser Wilhelm DLC.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
Counters are good at conveying information about troop make up, animated figures are good for conveying movement. The answer is clear: counters with animated arms and legs that march toward the territory they are moving into or invading.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The uniform designer is planned for the Kaiser Wilhelm DLC.

Along with a mustache maintenance minigame?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Counters look pretty easy to make* so Paradox should let you choose between them or little soldiers, but also anyone who uses counters is a terrible person with no idea of fun.

*By the way I have no game development experience whatsoever

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Anthropomorphized Counter Anime Waifus

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Frionnel posted:

Counters look pretty easy to make*

The main challenge is making sure the top is smooth and level. Depending on the material, it might be all one piece, so then it's a real challenge to move around without causing any damage, and God help you if the size turns out to be wrong.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

You will wrest my funny little men from my cold, dead hands

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Hard to sell cosmetic DLC for counters. As long as I can see relevant info about a unit/groups of units just by selecting them, it's all good.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Hard to sell cosmetic DLC for counters. As long as I can see relevant info about a unit/groups of units just by selecting them, it's all good.

different palettes for your nato counters

as a big expansion: warsaw pact symbol counters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Paradox games don't have a lot of stuff to put you in the atmosphere of the era. Map rendering differs, music too, and UI, but those things are either not flavourful or are in a very specific style. Like EU4 map is just "realistic" while CK3 gives you a medieval painting vibe, but it's a very specific Western European painting. Imperator Rome UI rework recently tried to make it eclectic but I'm not sure it works. Basically, soldier models are usually the only thing that reminds me who do I play as. To replace them with NATO symbols would move those games much closer to proverbial spreadsheet simulator.