Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!

Letís compromise and have armies be represented by animated chess pieces, their type indicating army composition. Pawns = infantry army, knight = cavalry, bishop = infantry-cavalry mix, rook = infantry + artillery and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

I maybe wouldn't mind the goofy 3d models so much if they reduced them in size by like 50%. But currently the map just always looks so cluttered.

Gaius Marius posted:

I hate watching them walk between provinces. It looks gross

every time this gets mentioned someone explains why it's necessary for armies to stand in place while moving and why it can't be otherwise, but I can never remember what the reason is...

it seems so weird that this is still the best option available, because it does look pretty bad

ilitarist posted:

Paradox games don't have a lot of stuff to put you in the atmosphere of the era. Map rendering differs, music too, and UI, but those things are either not flavourful or are in a very specific style. Like EU4 map is just "realistic" while CK3 gives you a medieval painting vibe, but it's a very specific Western European painting. Imperator Rome UI rework recently tried to make it eclectic but I'm not sure it works. Basically, soldier models are usually the only thing that reminds me who do I play as. To replace them with NATO symbols would move those games much closer to proverbial spreadsheet simulator.

we have pop portraits for that now!