Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

If that kind of parallelism fits your problem you don't need to do it in a texture, you could just use a compute shader. I think the round trip of data from CPU to GPU would kill you if you tried to use it in game logic though.

The idea in my head was it wouldn't be on the game tick, but something like updates that are more once in a while, like once in a in-game month or similar to stagger the updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I'm playing Peru-Bolivia (minor power) and have Argentina (also minor power) in a customs union with me. Should I have the 'make protectorate' play available? I tried that and they yielded before going to war and nothing happened. From the tooltip I'm guessing since they are also minor power I can't make them a protectorate?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

elbkaida posted:

I'm playing Peru-Bolivia (minor power) and have Argentina (also minor power) in a customs union with me. Should I have the 'make protectorate' play available? I tried that and they yielded before going to war and nothing happened. From the tooltip I'm guessing since they are also minor power I can't make them a protectorate?

Yeah, a minor power can't make another minor power into a subject. It shouldn't even give you the option to try. In order to make a country into a subject, it has to be a lower rank than you.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's worth noting that if a country's power status goes up so that they're equal to you while you're in the middle of a play against them to make them into a subject, it breaks the wargoal (which is very annoying)

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

RabidWeasel posted:

It's worth noting that if a country's power status goes up so that they're equal to you while you're in the middle of a play against them to make them into a subject, it breaks the wargoal (which is very annoying)

Do you still have to go protectorate -> vassal -> puppet in 3 seperate plays, or was I missing something the last time I played?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Do you still have to go protectorate -> vassal -> puppet in 3 seperate plays, or was I missing something the last time I played?

It's protectorate -> dominion -> puppet, but yes.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Theres a mod that makes it so loyal subjects will peacefully accept each step of the chain which makes it a lot less obnoxious

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

Theres a mod that makes it so loyal subjects will peacefully accept each step of the chain which makes it a lot less obnoxious

They usually do accept anyway if you're significantly stronger than them

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

RabidWeasel posted:

They usually do accept anyway if you're significantly stronger than them

Yeah, but the truce timer is very annoying

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

With a little luck foreign investment is going to make it so annexing your subjects only makes sense in very specific cases, and we can all spend our infamy/click budgets on doing something more interesting :pray:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I really hope that infamy gets a rework at some point, I can see what they were going for but the way it's balanced is just not fun or interesting to engage with. You're encouraged to constantly start new wars so that you always benefit from infamy decay, and there's no benefit from staying at zero infamy, so choosing to stay at peace is almost always sub-optimal. In actual gameplay, especially if you're playing a minor power, this results in a ton of fiddly but inconsequential naval invasions of other minors to secure territory for later development.

While this sort of thing has been a constant theme in Paradox games, V3's infamy both builds up and decays very quickly, so it feels like more of a nuisance than in, say, EU4

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

With a little luck foreign investment is going to make it so annexing your subjects only makes sense in very specific cases, and we can all spend our infamy/click budgets on doing something more interesting :pray:

Inshallah

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Attempted my first game last night. Pretty much immediately gave up and started the tutorial as Sweden instead. :v:

It's mostly decent. Doing a good job showing where things are hidden, how to do things and why you should do them. Then there are weird ones like start a colony in a suitable location and no you don't get any kind of help or actual tutorial in how the heck you do that.

I lost 10 ranking levels from low prestige, somehow, and the tutorial didn't cover or care that I dropped to a minor power. I'm having to expand my army by 10 divisions even though I clearly can't afford to. But I assume I have to do that before the game will tell me how to control armies or fleets? Industries are randomly losing money and workers and the game, and tutorial, doesn't explain anything. I'm randomly getting agitators who cause tens of thousands of radicals and the tutorial is silent. The industrialists got unhappy and I did get a tutorial mission to make them not be unhappy anymore. How? Dunno, didn't say. How am I supposed to grow my gdp when private morons are building crap in random areas that just sit with 0 workers losing money? They threw up a glassworks in Norrland, a coal mine in Scania and 3 artist places across the country (including in Norrland) and then didn't bother hiring anyone to work?? The game complained that Gotland was very poor so I built a food factory there (I assume this was absolutely not optimal, maybe something which utilized goods from the pasture there would have been better?) which also sat empty until I subsidized it and it started hiring and actually doing something, it's even running at a tiny profit. But of course Gotland is still massively impoverished. Maybe I should have tried something with higher wages?

The game keeps complaining that my fleet has very low organization and while waiting for the slow construction (invent Ikea already you lazy sods) I managed to find out that's it from having way too many heavy ships compared to light. Why do they start with such a garbage navy? Should I build more light ships (that I can't afford) or should I decommission heavy ships (which will tank my presitge?) or just leave it as is?

I keep getting messages how trade routes are inactive with no information at all on why or how or what I'm supposed to do about it.

It's quite clear this game was developed on computers with multiple 40" HD screens because the UI is HORRENDOUSLY bloated and wastes so much space on nothing trying to look impressive on 4k+. My monitor isn't particularly large but it is bigger than a laptop and I can't even imagine the pain of trying to use that. You'd need a joystick or a thumbstick to navigate around in all directions on the oversized menus.

Overall I am looking forward to learning how things work and I predict I'm going to have a lot of fun once I know what the heck I'm doing. :toot:

Poil fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 24, 2024

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Poil posted:

It's quite clear this game was developed on computers with multiple 40" HD screens because the UI is HORRENDOUSLY bloated and wastes so much space on nothing trying to look impressive on 4k+. My monitor isn't particularly large but it is bigger than a laptop and I can't even imagine the pain of trying to use that. You'd need a joystick or a thumbstick to navigate around in all directions on the oversized menus.

Overall I am looking forward to learning how things work and I predict I'm going to have a lot of fun once I know what the heck I'm doing. :toot:

It's pretty bad on an actually-large monitor because of the stupid drawers. If you want to make trade deals you can't just click in a menu, you have to go from side to bottom to side to bottom to side to bottom to... even if that's a large physical distance on the screen.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That sounds annoying. To me it's frustrating how large everything is and especially the diplomatic play window. It doesn't even fully fit vertically on the screen.

Switching to steel construction and having concrete spread to me around the same time was amazing. :stare:

An agitator showed up and started giving me tons of radicals, so I decided to let them attempt to pass that law. Which lead to the opponents to cause more radicals and starting to prepare for a rebellion. So I cancelled it. And the first side caused even more radicals and preparation for rebellion.

The tutorial for army stuff and wars was very poor, I had to figure it out by guessing. It's all "do this" and "do that" without even hinting at how you're supposed to do them. For example turns out you need to right click on the general on the army screen to change to defensive stance. :psyduck: Partially it's because I'm used to the easy and simple way of how armies and generals work in EU4 but still: :psyduck:
Still haven't got a clue why none of my armies could path to the North German HQ in Hamburg. The province has docks for crying out loud. And it worked fine to naval invade it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If you get an agitator trying to pass a law which has some support but you don't want to or can't pass it, the standard approach is to exile the agitator. If you start passing a law backed by a movement and then cancel it you make the movement a lot more radical.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I felt funny about telling an agitator for migration controls that no, he can't come.
(Everyone else is welcome-ish, though).

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I haven't played this I guess since release really but was watching some videos the other day and got the itch to play again.

My goal is Gran Columbia - I took Ecuador right off the start and am thinking about attacking northern Peru because getting Lima is always pretty sweet but I started with like, no economy at all or very little at least.

I read up on all the 1.5/1.6 changes so I think I have a grasp on local markets and stuff but am wondering how to industrialize such a poor nation anymore - build construction sites and do the local loop of iron/wood I keep seeing videos and slowly build up?

Can I just take Venezuela right now or do they have to be a lower type of power than myself? What's a good way to reduce them to insignificant if that's not an option?

I like the newer army stuff, it's a step in right direction and the next DLC looks pretty sweet (foreign investment will get me to play this a LOT!). I hope they pull it off because I had a lot of fun with this when it came out ... then turned out every play through was basically the same.

mst4k fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 25, 2024

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'd suggest just conquering some of Venezuela to give you enough land to form Gran Colombia

The only way to industrialise in South America is getting some drat population - that means either joining a European market or cranking the mass migration lever a bunch. Both options mean pushing up SOL and getting liberal culture / religion / immigration laws.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mst4k posted:

I haven't played this I guess since release really but was watching some videos the other day and got the itch to play again.

My goal is Gran Columbia - I took Ecuador right off the start and am thinking about attacking northern Peru because getting Lima is always pretty sweet but I started with like, no economy at all or very little at least.

I read up on all the 1.5/1.6 changes so I think I have a grasp on local markets and stuff but am wondering how to industrialize such a poor nation anymore - build construction sites and do the local loop of iron/wood I keep seeing videos and slowly build up?

Can I just take Venezuela right now or do they have to be a lower type of power than myself? What's a good way to reduce them to insignificant if that's not an option?

I like the newer army stuff, it's a step in right direction and the next DLC looks pretty sweet (foreign investment will get me to play this a LOT!). I hope they pull it off because I had a lot of fun with this when it came out ... then turned out every play through was basically the same.

You can take Venezuela right at the start, they have half the army you do. This is a good idea because they have sulfur mines and future oil deposits, and conquering them gives you everything you need to form Gran Colombia (once you research nationalism).

After that, wait for Brazil to finish their wars and then declare war on Bolivia to liberate their subjects. You can usually get Chile, Argentina, and Ecuador to join you to make it easy, and Brazil too if they don't hate you. You might need to give Brazil back your Amazonas province, but you don't need it for the achievement anyway and holding onto it will just antagonize them.

While this is going on, start building up your industry in Antioquia. You've got almost everything you need for it except for lead, which can be found in Peru, and population which you'll just have to wait for. Keep the migration attraction decree in Antioquia and you'll eventually start getting mass migrations there.

Once you've eaten up Peru and Bolivia, you can start working on Chile and Argentina, but DON'T fully annex them. Keep them as subjects because they have colonial claims on Patagonia, and if you annex them then all the great powers will start grabbing land down there and you'll have to clean up that mess.

Eventually you'll have to deal with GB, Netherlands and France for the rest of the provinces you need. You might be able to trade for them if you start taking some of Brazil's land, but I haven't tried this yet.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Awesome thanks the tips! Bolivars dream will not go unfulfilled.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks for the rad advice.

Why is the price of ammunition still so expensive?! I built a drat... weapons factory... and not a munitions factory. I also built a rubber plantation in my African colony, and discovered that there is no demand for it anywhere in Sweden. Good thing I'm not actually the supreme monarch of a nation.

It is VERY unrealistic that I was able to saturate the entire Swedish market for coffee with just two plantations. :v:

Are consumption taxes a good idea? Should you get them early game and then get rid of them to increase demand? Or something else?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
usually you run a lot of them at the start when you have more authority; as you liberalize you tend to get less authority, but you make more in tax revenue, so you drop the consumption taxes as necessary

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm probably doing that wrong as well because I'm drowning in authority despite liberally liberalizing.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Poil posted:

I'm probably doing that wrong as well because I'm drowning in authority despite liberally liberalizing.

Spend authority on consumption taxes or on bolstering/suppression IGs to affect your government in the long term.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Poil posted:

Don't forget you can use authority for state decrees as well. They're not quite as useful the bigger you get but can be used to shore up smaller/weaker/recently conquered states.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Consumption taxes are great and never become "not good" except under specific late game conditions, but authority is a limited resource and you might want to use it for different things.

Consumption taxes don't actually make pops have less demand per se, they just make stuff more expensive so they might drop be unable to afford their needs package and therefore drop their SOL. But it's important to note that if you have a bunch of different goods in your market (such as luxury clothes and furniture) you counterintuitively won't impact on demand for these when you apply a consumption tax.

Authority primer:

Authority is generally used for 4 things:

1. Consumption taxes, as you've already noted. They're a good way to generate extra income. It's generally good to try to avoid overtaxing your poorest people, so avoid taxing stuff like grain and liquor and instead tax services and luxuries. It's OK to tax poor people a lot but you might generate radicals / depressed SOL without realising which can have undesirable consequences.

2. Decrees; these are often underestimated because they can feel expensive for what they do, but equally it's often not unusual in many situations in the early game to have 30% or more of your entire economy being generated from a single state. Road maintenance and greener grass campaigns are particularly good as they do something which is otherwise pretty difficult to achieve (raw multiplicative boost to construction and a massive migration boost respectively) but the education decree is also a must have (at least in your largest and / or capital state) before you have a well developed education institution to push up your literacy rate. The resource decree is close to a no-brainer in a state with a large gold mine. Violent suppression is very useful for getting some critical resource building or port down in a recently conquered state.

3. Bolstering and suppressing IGs. I think this is probably often overvalued because it's easy to misinterpret how exactly this works as it's not just necessary "make this IG stronger" as it only indirectly influences IG strength via adjusting the logic used by pops to decide which IG they're supporting. A good example of this is that early game, if you have hereditary bureaucrats, bolstering the intelligensia is quite strong because it significantly pushes aristocrats towards the intelligensia and away from the landowners. Early game aristocrats have a large proportion of your total clout, so the impact of this is pretty large. In the exact same situation, but with Appointed Bureaucrats passed instead, the bolster will be much less effective because the intelligensia don't have such a broad support base under that law

4. The secret fourth bonus, which is choosing to float a bunch of unused authority in order to gain faster law enactment. This is mostly a thing in the early game when you often have a ton of laws you want to pass, and especially if you can get a 90 legitimacy government since the enactment speed bonuses from both stack beneficially (two 25% bonuses stack to a 50% reduction in enactment time, meaning laws pass twice as fast)

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Poil posted:

As a general rule of thumb, conservative and authoritarian laws concerning your governmental system will tend to give you more authority, while liberal and democratic laws tend to give less.

For example:
An Autocratic Monarchy with State Religion, Ethnostate, and Outlawed Dissent will get +200 Authority for each of those five laws, for a total of +1000 Authority

A Presidential Republic with Landed Voting, Racial Segregation, Freedom of Conscience, and Censorship will get +100 Authority for each of those five laws, for a total of +500 Authority

A Council Republic with Universal Suffrage, Multiculturalism, Total Separation of church and state, and Protected Speech will get +0 Authority from each of those five laws, for a total of +0 Authority

So you'll tend to start the game with a lot of Authority, which will decrease over time as you liberalize your political system to take power away from the old entrenched interests and give your populace more of a say in politics.

Poil posted:

I also built a rubber plantation in my African colony, and discovered that there is no demand for it anywhere in Sweden. Good thing I'm not actually the supreme monarch of a nation.

There's usually not much use for rubber when you first start getting it, but it's used for a lot of later-game techs, so it's good to secure a supply of it when you can.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Vizuyos posted:

There's usually not much use for rubber when you first start getting it, but it's used for a lot of later-game techs, so it's good to secure a supply of it when you can.

Rubber 'spread' (actually reveal) is by event in states containing or bordering available plantations, no? So getting enough mtths churning to feed your demand is important if some of those aren't march states.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Mandoric posted:

Rubber 'spread' (actually reveal) is by event in states containing or bordering available plantations, no? So getting enough mtths churning to feed your demand is important if some of those aren't march states.

No - the state owner just has to have the right tech to find the rubber, they don't need to actually build any plantations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The machined steel tools PM is so good that if you have access to rubber in any quantity it's usually a good idea to rush Vulcanisation

The last patch reduced the amount of rubber required for this PM as well as reducing the output which was possibly intended as a nerf (because the PM is so good) but it's kind of a wash because now you need less rubber for the same amount of tools, and previously getting sufficient rubber to use the PM across your entire country was often quite tricky.

If you have a significant excess of rubber you can also use the elastics PM for textile factories, but that PM is significantly less of an upgrade than using machined steel tools is

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Double posting because it's the Building Ownership DD!

Sounds like it works exactly how people had more or less figured out from the teasers they gave, but it's still exciting.

Also the holdouts obsessing over micromanaging the entire economy will need to start playing the real game

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Really excited for this upcoming update; foreign investment alone seems like it will completely upend how the game plays.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Buildings starting out as state owned is dope, should make the weird period where land taxes start to sharply drop off as you get less peasants but don't have enough political support to switch to per capita less painful for developing countries

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
The changes to ownership seem... wild. I am definitely looking forward to this though because the economic game is far more interesting to me than the other parts and spending time having to figure out who owns what in my country and dealing with that is far more interesting to me than other situations.

My only concerns are:
1.) will the AI not be really dumb about this? I'm not talking about the AI refusing to invest in my country or the AI making investments that are counterproductive for me - because it should absolutely be doing that - but will the AI get into loops where every capitalist in the Western Hemisphere decides to go all in on small arms workshops in some trash Austrian state with one million peasants or something like that? This was a problem with immigration where you would end up with one or two states that had all of the immigrants and then 10 states that had negative growth. The AI does stuff like that right now with private investment and that's on a per-country basis, not an entire power bloc's worth of investment.

2.) The maze of building ownership when you have multiple owners owning 1 level each of a 50 stack of buildings.

Also, out of curiosity, is there going to be an edict to make a state more attractive to investment? That feels like something that ought to exist, but I have no idea how much of a problem this would be to implement.

Looking forward to May.

edit: also, just wondering, is it intended that one way for a country to start the industrialization ball rolling is to build and then immediately sell mines/factories to capitalists as a way of financing more construction? For example, spend a ton of government cash to build a coal mine, sell the coal mine to a capitalist, spend the money that the capitalists give you to construct another coal mine.

edit 2: in the DD its said that aristocrats can also buy buildings (this is awesome by the way because the trivialization of the aristocracy by the mid-game is something that I consider to be an issue). Does this mean that we can have pseudo-aristocrats who own factories/mines, but who have all of the downsides of the landowner IG class?

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 28, 2024

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

This is great stuff! Ownership of industries and nationalization are fantastic dynamics to add to all this, and this implementation looks fantastic.

I do wonder specifically about the wargoal to nationalize your foreign owned industries. It's a bit odd that you have to declare war. Shouldn't you be able to just do it and they get an opportunity to freely declare war to stop you? At the very least I hope the ticking war score is in favor of the attacker. If the factories in your own country are the war goal, you're definitely occupying them from the start of the war. It'd be silly if China has to invade the UK for ownership of factories and mines in China.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Eiba posted:

I do wonder specifically about the wargoal to nationalize your foreign owned industries. It's a bit odd that you have to declare war. Shouldn't you be able to just do it and they get an opportunity to freely declare war to stop you? At the very least I hope the ticking war score is in favor of the attacker. If the factories in your own country are the war goal, you're definitely occupying them from the start of the war. It'd be silly if China has to invade the UK for ownership of factories and mines in China.

Someone made the point that it might be this way for techical reasons because if you allow the buildings to change ownership the game has to remember which buildings were nationalised so that if the owning nation wins the war they get all their buildings back.

One of the cool things about these changes is that mixed economies are now possible, seizing the means of production is something that doesn't instantly happen when you change ownership PM. You can be a council republic with capitalist owned industries still.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

There's also the fact that like, you don't declare war in V3, strictly speaking. You start diplomatic plays, which can escalate to war.

If anything, I think it's kind of weird that they're implementing this two-step "try it, get the wargoal, use it" thing instead of just having "nationalise" as a regular play.

e: Might be a complication of the compensation thing. You'd have to do it as a "Buy Out" diplo action and a separate "Seize Assets" play I guess.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 28, 2024

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

This rules. Pity to all the mod makers that are going to be doing rework, though, because I imagine this will be a real pain to update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Someone made the point that it might be this way for techical reasons because if you allow the buildings to change ownership the game has to remember which buildings were nationalised so that if the owning nation wins the war they get all their buildings back.

One of the cool things about these changes is that mixed economies are now possible, seizing the means of production is something that doesn't instantly happen when you change ownership PM. You can be a council republic with capitalist owned industries still.
It would probably be more work, but they could make it so you press a button that starts a countdown, and in a month or so the buildings are yours, unless the owning country declares war. I guess that's kind of the premise of starting a diplo play, and the target backing down would be the equivalent of them declining to declare war.

In any case, having to technically declare war isn't that big a deal provided the ticking warscore in on your side. Even if you're technically declaring war on a country to seize their industries, you shouldn't be required to occupy a single bit of their territory to win.