Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm really happy about the shifting ownership over time. It shouldn't be an instant "Monarchy over, hot capitalist summer time now" or "Press the big red Communism button", but a process. Plenty of room for emergent gameplay that way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013
:sickos:

It'd be nice to have a quick indicator (bargraph color?) of domestic vs foreign ownership. Or is [foreign country] ownership capturing all foreign ownership, not just direct ownership by the foreign country itself?

quote:

is it intended that one way for a country to start the industrialization ball rolling is to build and then immediately sell mines/factories to capitalists as a way of financing more construction?

Since the money for sold buildings also comes from the investment pool, and there's explicitly some transaction losses, I'd guess doing this results in getting less buildings per dollar. It might help bootstrapping industries with new (and therefore predicted to be unprofitable) products in smaller countries?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Employment no longer being constrained by the number of capitalists employed in a building is another great change that's going to result from this.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I will enjoy actually being able to enrich my Metropole at the expense of my colonies.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I wonder how viable it will be to grow a "tall" empire now. Low population, low resources, but investments all over the world supporting the military might that lets you defend and expand your financial dominance. Just a nation of capitalists and soldiers. Just really Dutch it up.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

CrypticTriptych posted:

:sickos:

It'd be nice to have a quick indicator (bargraph color?) of domestic vs foreign ownership. Or is [foreign country] ownership capturing all foreign ownership, not just direct ownership by the foreign country itself?

Since the money for sold buildings also comes from the investment pool, and there's explicitly some transaction losses, I'd guess doing this results in getting less buildings per dollar. It might help bootstrapping industries with new (and therefore predicted to be unprofitable) products in smaller countries?

Right, but once you sell the building you will have created capitalists who will then contribute to the investment pool. This will grow the industrialist IG power and also create more total wealth in your economy because government owned buildings appear to have some kind of penalty to the profits that they generate compared to privately owned businesses.

I am also looking forward to not having to worry about hiring capitalists in my colonial mines and plantations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Eiba posted:

I wonder how viable it will be to grow a "tall" empire now. Low population, low resources, but investments all over the world supporting the military might that lets you defend and expand your financial dominance. Just a nation of capitalists and soldiers. Just really Dutch it up.

I hope it leads to the IRL issue where Dutch capitalists refused to invest in the Netherlands proper because it was so goddam easy to just build cash crops in the Dutch east Indies instead

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

also I want to play Korea or lanfang in soi, maximizing my budget thanks to endless Chinese demand for everything except grain

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
One change which is kind of huge if true but I'm not 100% sure if I'm reading things correctly so someone correct me please:

Ownership PMs on most buildings no longer exist.

All buildings in private ownership can be owned by either Manor Houses or Financial Districts and the pops employed as the ownership class (inside the MH / FD building) is decided by which of these buildings is being used, and the PM being used by that building. An example given in the comments was Mutual Funds being a PM for Financial Districts which reduces the amount of shopkeepers and adds more capitalists.

Therefore, an incredibly crucial part of the earlygame construction decision making, managing building ownership, is no longer a thing. Plantations and agriculture suddenly become viable conduits towards industrialising? Logging industry is no longer heavily favoured purely because it's the easiest building to move to capitalist ownership? There's so many changes made by this and it massively levels the playing field when it comes to decisions about what to build.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Agean90 posted:

also I want to play Korea or lanfang in soi, maximizing my budget thanks to endless Chinese demand for everything except grain
Is that going to be any more possible? I doubt a country can invest in their overlord, and Lanfang especially mainly has issues with getting enough workers and China has closed borders to start now.

You can already make a strong Korean economy catering to the endless Chinese market.

If I'm missing something I'd like to know, because I've always dreamed of doing a big Lanfang game, but never really got the immigration I needed to make it work, and now the immigration is sadly going to be zero, unless you get lucky.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Eiba posted:

Is that going to be any more possible? I doubt a country can invest in their overlord, and Lanfang especially mainly has issues with getting enough workers and China has closed borders to start now.

You can already make a strong Korean economy catering to the endless Chinese market.

If I'm missing something I'd like to know, because I've always dreamed of doing a big Lanfang game, but never really got the immigration I needed to make it work, and now the immigration is sadly going to be zero, unless you get lucky.

with the changes in building ownership I can now directly own buildings without needing central planning, so the idea is that by owning the mines and the tool factory I can supercharge my budget more than I currently could and develop even faster

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Just to see if I understand it correctly, all buildings are now public when built then manually privatized, or once there are capitalists enough they build stuff that is already private?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Agean90 posted:

with the changes in building ownership I can now directly own buildings without needing central planning, so the idea is that by owning the mines and the tool factory I can supercharge my budget more than I currently could and develop even faster
Ooh, that makes sense. Yeah that'll be fun! Money directly out of Chinese consumers straight into the national treasury. That hadn't even occurred to me.

It will definitely be liberating to not be so dependent on taxing aristocrats for income as a less developed country.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Just to see if I understand it correctly, all buildings are now public when built then manually privatized, or once there are capitalists enough they build stuff that is already private?

From my understanding of the dev diary, levels of buildings from the government construction queue are public when they're first built, and, depending on your laws, can either be manually privatized, or are automatically privatized shortly after being constructed. Levels of buildings from private construction start as owned by pops.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Finished up a US game recently (and my first major game since the military changes) that hewed remarkably close to real history sometimes in a completely organic fashion - well, minus the fact that I ended slavery late and legally and I began aggressive direct colonization of SE Asia for rubber but that last one is kind of par for course. Turns out starting with National Militia and having no natural land threats and few reasons for others to poke their nose into your affairs while possessing near endless economic potential really skews the way you approach geopolitics and build your military - my army was mediocre clear into the 1900s and the navy was, while advanced, desperately small.

I do want to emphasize though how much I love Victoria 3 purely for making navies actually MATTER. Granted they don't have quite the same level of effect as they should do since most countries don't rely quite that heavily on trade to balance their economies, but the ability to utterly kneecap a colonial empire and starve their overseas armies into submission makes the possession and maintenance of a strong navy critical for any nation with overseas ambitions at all in a way that most other games (including my last hazy memories of EU) don't really. There is a touch more micro than I entirely like, with moving from node to node being reminiscent of older Clausewitz province-bouncing, but generally it's still possible to get by parking your fleets in critical spots and daring the enemy to try and dislodge you.

Overall very much preferred to most games where navies matter, if at all, because you can intercept naval invasions (if you can catch the enemy) and because of some nebulous "protect merchants = more gold" mechanic that's usually fairly anemic.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is building construction sectors a trap? Without any you get 10 but as soon as you build one you end up with HALVED construction so it takes 5+ years to build even "quick" buildings. You'd have to go from 0 to at least 5 instantly and that's ruinously expensive in materials and wages.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
They also build demand for construction goods that will make your lines go up up up

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But they cost so much they make my economy line go down down down. And it takes decades to build up the buildings to produce the construction goods for just one. And that's time where every single other good just gets more and more expensive.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Poil posted:

But they cost so much they make my economy line go down down down. And it takes decades to build up the buildings to produce the construction goods for just one. And that's time where every single other good just gets more and more expensive.
At the start, maybe, but you’re playing the game for 100 years of game time. As you build up and tech advances (Atmospheric Engines is key early tech for boosting mining production, especially important for iron) and your economy grows, you’ll be able to afford those construction centers and more.

…and you’ll need more, especially if you have a lot of pops who need jobs.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If you start out with either poor tech or a limited amount of spare population it can make sense to dedicate your early game to militarism rather than starting the usual "construction loop", because you really need the combination of Urban Planning, Atmospheric Engine, access to iron (and ideally coal though you can trade for it if you have access to trade with France / GB / etc), and at least a few hundred thousand peasants - ideally a few million. If you're lacking in any of those areas, your initial industrialisation effort will stall before it starts to really get going, and early investment into construction sectors will only slow you down with additional costs.

A good example of this is a recent game I did as Oman where I didn't build my first construction sector until ~1845, at which point I had conquered all of Somalia, the good bit of South Africa, and formed Yemen. I wouldn't have been able to go so hard on conquest if I'd been spending a ton of cash on construction the whole time.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 29, 2024

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I invest in war reparations and protection rackets :smug:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Yeah ignoring construction only makes sense in the very early game when you can't reasonably start a ramp but could reasonably quadruple the size of your market/country with a war or two, you'll have to graduate from the free sector eventually to become A Real Power

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks. There's just so much to learn in this game. Particularly on how things work. It's not obvious you should do that. The tutorial shouts at you if you drop into credit and to get to 20(?) percent gold stockpiled as soon as you can.

edit
Week 1: Political movement forms.
Week 2: Political movement disbands.
Week 3: Political movement forms.
Week 4: Political movement disbands.
Week 5: Political movement forms.
Week 6: Political movement disbands.
and it just keeps going and going. For fucks sake!

Poil fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 29, 2024

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Bloody splitters

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Poil posted:

Thanks. There's just so much to learn in this game. Particularly on how things work. It's not obvious you should do that. The tutorial shouts at you if you drop into credit and to get to 20(?) percent gold stockpiled as soon as you can.

edit
Week 1: Political movement forms.
Week 2: Political movement disbands.
Week 3: Political movement forms.
Week 4: Political movement disbands.
Week 5: Political movement forms.
Week 6: Political movement disbands.
and it just keeps going and going. For fucks sake!

you want accuracy or not

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Political movements need a lot more transparency imo, it's not at all clear why they start or why pops support them

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I think a decent bit is actually in the various pop and IG tabs, but it's one of those three nested tooltips deep sort of thing. I need to play around with the census tab sometime, wonder if there's more info like that there.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

In this case it formed with no one supporting it. Which is probably why it instantly disbanded. But then it formed again, with no support.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Poil posted:

Is building construction sectors a trap? Without any you get 10 but as soon as you build one you end up with HALVED construction so it takes 5+ years to build even "quick" buildings. You'd have to go from 0 to at least 5 instantly and that's ruinously expensive in materials and wages.

Unless something substantially changed in the month or so since I last played, you don't lose your initial base construction when you build some of your own. Without any construction sectors, you get 10 construction. With one construction sector, you should get 10 construction plus the output of one construction sector.

If your construction is slowing down, it's likely because of unrest or something along those lines tanking your construction efficiency.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Vizuyos posted:

Unless something substantially changed in the month or so since I last played, you don't lose your initial base construction when you build some of your own. Without any construction sectors, you get 10 construction. With one construction sector, you should get 10 construction plus the output of one construction sector.

If your construction is slowing down, it's likely because of unrest or something along those lines tanking your construction efficiency.

Your private construction queue starts to take their share after you've built a construction sector, especially in the early game they will often build a load of useless farms you don't really need especially when you might want to get crucial industries such as paper and tooling online. So you're basically giving up a significant percentage of your total construction pool when you build that first construction sector

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Private construction also pays for itself so you can build more total construction. Basically, you should always be building construction sectors almost immediately to get the industrial ball rolling unless you're playing as starts that require instant military developments to take over neighbors.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

RabidWeasel posted:

Your private construction queue starts to take their share after you've built a construction sector, especially in the early game they will often build a load of useless farms you don't really need especially when you might want to get crucial industries such as paper and tooling online. So you're basically giving up a significant percentage of your total construction pool when you build that first construction sector

If you're struggling with the costs of keeping a couple of wooden building construction sectors running, then it's probably too early to be spending either money or wood on paper production. There's not much use for paper early on, except for rushing universities, which can be powerful but is also very expensive, especially for a poor agrarian country with no industry and no construction.

And if you generate demand for tools by building more mines, the private construction may start building tooling factories. It builds what your market needs now, not what your market is likely to need in the future according to your expansion plans, so it's often worthwhile to just build the demand first rather than worrying about securing the supply first.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Iron does make for cheaper construction, but you can afford like 3 lumber buildings for a single iron mine, and lumber is more likely to be local to your population which is important for low tech starts. Learned this the hard way playing Ethiopia with the difficulty it has accessing iron.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Vizuyos posted:

If you're struggling with the costs of keeping a couple of wooden building construction sectors running, then it's probably too early to be spending either money or wood on paper production. There's not much use for paper early on, except for rushing universities, which can be powerful but is also very expensive, especially for a poor agrarian country with no industry and no construction.

There's obviously no "correct" way to play but I value early game paper highly in many cases for several reasons; it enables universities, which help to resolve qualifications issues caused by serfdom, poverty, or discrimination, all of which can be serious issues with some country starts, and it increases the output of each individual government administration building, meaning less total time spend on constructing admin buildings (in exchange for higher costs per bureaucracy generated). And the cost of a few universities is comparable to the ~4-5k monthly spend you need on wooden construction sectors in order to start breaking even on the government construction budget (assuming you're under traditionalism)

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
I see where construction in the early game can feel sort of like a trap. It’s mildly annoying in the early game when you have less than 40 total construction because you’re splitting construction awkwardly between private and public queues. Neither can get a full 20 towards a queued building, but often your economy is still too small to support one queue doing all the construction if the other runs out of cash. The private queue often refuses to build useful buildings and can tap itself out building tobacco plantations. It can lead to taking proportionally huge deficits if the investment pool runs out and has to build back up. That said historically accurate and it’s usually not long you’re in that situation. The solution is usually the same: deficit spend for a bit.

Swing State Victim fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 29, 2024

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
What do I need to do when one of my army HQs becomes unreachable from other armies? It is oversees but I have enough convoys and I'm not sure what's going on. I'm not in a war either.

Edit: Nevermind, disappeared after reloading.

elbkaida fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 1, 2024

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

New Dev Diary

Updates on subject interaction, liberty desire, the ability to force a subject to form their own market away from yours if they're hurting the economy, better ability to impose law changes on subjects, etc.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Hey Austria, Galicia is such a hassle to manage what with all the angry Polish people and all, why don't you just let your ever-loyal puppet Krakow take care of it for you? :3:

E:

MORE MAPS

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 4, 2024

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

hell yeah can't wait to gas up the dutch east Indies for freedom so I can hoover up Indonesia after they implode without worrying about European hell alliances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
What is the trick with small nations? I feel like I barely do anything for the first 40 years and that can't be "correct". Is it just about conquering all the nations with out standing armies on the map to grow the GDP with peasants?