Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

How would it be modeled besides a boring pop up event about losing 3% of craftsmen or something

You really can’t think of interesting or tough decisions a government might face in dealing with an epidemic?

Do you spend huge amounts of money to speed up cures? Do you enact harsh quarantines that get you through the crises quicker but have tough short term consequences and militarized part of your population against you or just do nothing and hope the situation passes naturally? Do you continue to spend on medical/infrastructure once the crises is over and things are back to normal and epidemics are a thing of the past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

distortion park posted:

The state subsidising the cost is the only option which barely makes sense, but even then locals would presumably buy it all and ship/smuggle it all back to the rest of America where it's 3x the price.

In this case, I think that the goal is the state buys subsidized sulphur to guarantee a supply, sells it cheap to ammo factories to encourages their construction and ensure that stuff gets made, and then factories sell the finished ammo back to the state for more profit than smuggling.

The state gets robbed on both ends, but that’s what they get for being desperate.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

I think it should be basically be locked behind a bunch of other barriers and give some massive downsides like an attraction bonus to fascism and reactionaries or whatever.
It really strains credibility that it's in the game at all at least with how it's currently implemented.
The game simply does not reflect the genuinely insane amount of racism and prejudice that existed in societies during this time period.

At the very least it should be tied to a higher level tech rather than be available by like 1840. Probably an institution too. Just because the law says you're multicultural means poo poo if there isn't ongoing government support. Things like actual law enforcement against racists, education standards, fair hiring policies, minority language/religious protections you know, the poo poo 21st century governments haven't figured out out yet.

And yeah, a bunch of radical racist fuckers to beat down and some other challenges to overcome.

I like that the game tells you that multiculturalism is hands down the best policy, but it should be an end-game goal where it's a huge, multi-stage accomplishment to achieve rather than just a no-brainer button click.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

boo boo bear posted:

speaking of canada, does anyone know why I wind up owning all of it without even trying? is it a crown colony mechanic or something, cuz all I wanna do is either build awesome furniture in bc or the greatest shipyards known to man in halifax, but I constantly get saddled with the prairies, or even worse, the quebecois every time I play. the only way out of it seems to be independence, but that's got the major downside of losing access to the british market.

I've only done it from the Canadian side where you get a decision to ask UK for other colonies to join yours if you have a higher GDP and 50+ relations with the other colony and the Brits.

The UK also has a decision to merge colonies on their end but I'm not sure if the relations restriction applies when they are doing it or if they'll just smash any poor colony into a good one. So maybe if you hate all the other guys the Brits won't merge you?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Triple A posted:

You could make the expansion automated, but have new industries pop up as an event with something to the tune of "Hi, we want permits for this area to be redeveloped into an industrial complex" or "Hi, we want to build a Company Town in province X" sorts of deals.

They already have the free university event to use as a template. Be nice to add an option for "Nah, but how about building a <different industry> town?" So you can veto stuff you don't want without wasting the event.