Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I was not even slightly interested in V3 before this poo poo got announced and now I'm on the Hype Express to anarchist utopia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wonder if nations will have stuff to differentiate them from each other like national ideas in Europa.

I hope they steer away from hardcoded stuff like national ideas / focuses and instead make the difference based on the material conditions of each state. The starting institutions, pops and various government and social modifiers you have sounds like it should make for a decent amount of variety.

That Reddit post mentioned that pops have individual traits based on culture so that might be an interesting way to add in some more differences too.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Day 1 mod to change all instances of factory to factroy

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

It existed only in as much that making late game navies pushed up your mil score by a rediculous amount which would make you into the top GP unless the AI did the same

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

It's really weird to me that they kept the 1936 end date but then I also think that EU4 shouldn't even think about modeling the US War of Independence or Napoleon. Historical games are usually better when the scope is limited.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

I'm not sure parties need to be a distinct category of extra moving parts, at least not for release. I also know nothing about how the game works beyond a reddit post and some alpha screenshots so I shouldn't be listened to, but how is having a separate layer that says "the Democratic Party is in power, backed by the Landowners and opposed by the Petit Bourgeois interest groups" usefully different from just having the Landowners in government and the Petit Boug in opposition?

If you refuse to use your imagination even a tiny bit then the idea that people vote for "the Rural Folk" is pretty dumb and you need someone to tell you that's not what is actually happening

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I like how decentralised states are just vague outlines with a name on

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Only if your big on ends justifies the means

I feel like "facing imminent invasion from a fascist state which is rapidly remilitarising" is a time where these sorts of arguments have a lot of merit

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Randarkman posted:

Facing imminent invasion by a fascist state wasn't really part of the reasoning of the Great Purge.

This is in the context of "yes there is actually an imminent Trotskyist coup" rather than a historical observation

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Bug report: So I noticed a major flaw in Vicky 3's economy. The Capitalist Pops are supposed to make money by selling the commodities their factories produce, with the difference between the Worker Pops' wages and the commodities sell prices accounting for the profit. However, commodities sold on the market are primarily bought by the Worker Pops themselves! Since they are paid less than the commodities are actually worth, there isn't enough money circulating to buy up all the production, and you end up with a surplus of goods that just gets stockpiled. This overproduction causes the in game economy to poo poo the bed once a decade. Why didn't they playtest this??

I want to frame this post and put it by my bed and kiss it before I go to sleep every night

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Eiba posted:

Alternately it would be fine if the effect was only a bonus to represent shifting resources and, for instance, a workers council would maintain their own roads without player input, at the cost of not giving the player a choice in the matter.

There's a dev quote which clarifies that this is basically what is happening there.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Pooned posted:

Haven't been as hyped for a game since Imperator launch! Not sure how I feel about that.

Considering the difference in length of dev time between Imperator and V3 and looking at how Imperator is now (a pretty decent game which would have been extremely well received as a version 1.0) I think that's a good sign

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Would be nice if it gave a % breakdown after the number of individuals so you could tell at a glance how much of each pop was politically inactive, for example. Maybe there's another UI element which already does it better and they're trying to avoid clutter.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

48 wasn't the commune m'wiz

48 is when we deposed the liberal monarch for a republic, then immediately elected the heir of the previous royalimperial :agesilaus: house and installed him as a liberal monarch.

France, what the gently caress we need to talk.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Probably just that one specific law strengthens industrialists in some way. It could be related to workhouses, for example, which were often used as a source of extremely cheap unskilled labour for certain jobs.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

"Improvement" is pretty good at covering stuff like canals and railways as well as regional industries etc, it would even go so far as to cover things like land clearance and shore defenses, if those are in the game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The potato famines weren't caused by a lack of resources, they were caused by landowners shipping all the grain and meat off to other places to sell at a higher price. The Irish starved because nobody in government cared enough about them to rock the boat, not because there wasn't enough food in Ireland (the wheels of government being jammed up further with a good old pile of racism obviously)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

trapped mouse posted:

I know, that's why I mentioned that it was historically inaccurate. Again, there's no reason for what happened in Ireland during the Victorian era to ever happen in game, since it's basically a net negative all around. But gameplay wise, I wouldn't be surprised if it was handled as a matter of money/resources.

Paradox games have the unfortunate task of trying to keep things relatively historically accurate even though in real life they didn't actually make any sense. The conquest of the Aztec and Inca empires by a few thousand Spaniards is utterly absurd and should not have happened 99 times out of 100. But since they did happen, and it completely changed a large portion of the American continent, so it is something that is made ahistorically simple for the player and the AI to do.

Having things like interest groups and political movements should hopefully make it possible to have events with "correctly nonsensical" historical outcomes because you might value political stability over the lives of a bunch of Irish farmer pops who already don't like you.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Best Game Ever status achieved

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

It's going to be interesting to play a GSG where you can't just win every war based on better tactical prowess.

Edit:

They had to close the DD thread on the Paradox forums because it got too many posts too quickly :v:

This is even more controversial than Hyperspacegate

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 5, 2021

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Gort posted:

Like, they still have like three separate other games on the go where you get to order units about. If you're that enamoured of making pixel men walk from Norfolk to Kent, those game lines didn't go away.

The point of having different games for different time periods is that you can represent the time periods better with different mechanics.

Yeah it's weird that some people just want 5 different versions of EU in different time periods but with the same gameplay (because warfare is fundamentally broken in favour of the player and the AI always loses, so the non-warfare parts of the game aren't actually that important)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

I wonder if these various drastic changes will affect which countries are the best "starters" for new players

Like maybe Belgium will be way more tricky now on account of the ethnic and religious divide

I was thinking this too. Feels like there might not be any countries where you can just kind of tick over and do your own thing; GPs are going to be getting pulled into stupid regional diplomatic disputes, and minor states are going to inevitably be getting diplomatically bullied by their neighbours

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Money actually is mana in every Paradox game and it always amuses me that nobody seems to ever complain about it just because it "feels" correct.

From the sound of it V3 might actually have a somewhat money-like form of money though

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I also make big HoI focus tree decisions with the dice sometimes.

This is violence please stop

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I just spent a while typing about how actually the game wasn't going to represent canals and then realised that you were talking about Suez / Panama and now I feel dumb

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

fuf posted:

it's cool that the game sounds like it is kinda sorta playable already (even though it ended in a crash)

I am kind of in awe that the economic system doesn't just break immediately. So many moving parts all affecting each other.

He does kind of mention that the AI isn't really working great yet which is mildly worrying but it's probably also one of the things which gets worked on last (you don't really want to balance your AI around systems which aren't finalised and fully implemented yet)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

That was my reaction. I felt like it should have covered another 10-20 years.

He did also mention that his government type was "overpowered" so that might explain why he was able to do so much reforming so fast.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

It's kind of neat that the game organically represents the difference between reformism and revolution there. I can imagine seeing myself in a similar situation and deciding that yes actually I'd probably rather risk a civil war so I can ram my agenda through more quickly.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

My biggest takeaway here is that either they're really serious about war not being particularly important or the game is significantly further from release than I was expecting. Everything in that DD looks like a very early implementation.

With that said, it all looks fine. I hope that there's a bit more to military control / direction than just flicking a switch to attack or defend (being able to set priority targets seems kind of required for the player to have any kind of agency) but the overall concept is fairly similar to what I was thinking.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Kaza42 posted:

The dev diary mentions that you can set priority targets via wargoals, and the generals will focus on capturing those areas

War goals and military objectives shouldn't necessarily be the same though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Have to say that I was that guy who, after a while, just clicked "auto Resolve" for battles in Napoleon: Total War. I don't give a poo poo about tactics, haha!

"It's a Total War game with better autoresolve" is what made me start playing EU3 in the first place

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Suzerain is great, basically the only thing I could complain about is that nobody actually tells you what some of the numbers on the UI mean so you have to basically guess on your first playthrough

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'm pretty sure that the recognised / unrecognised thing is just based on a flag you have on game startup. Which makes sense because it's inherently arbitrary already, either Europeans think you're a savage barbarian or not, it's not based on anything else.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

This discussion reminds me that it looks like Ethiopia is going to be a very fun place to start a game in V3. It's a knife fight in a phone booth and then when you're done you get to start worrying about Europeans coming and loving everything up.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

Monument designer DLC when?

They did one for Imperator so I'd be kind of surprised if they don't do it eventually

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'd like to aspire to be at least slightly less awful than Stalin, even with the need to be ever vigilant against the mutitude of enemies of the revolution

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I hope that they get the balance of "hard but rewarding" right when it comes to overthrowing capitalism or whatever, otherwise it's going to take the fun out of it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

On that note I recommend that everyone play Suzerain, game's good

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Romans seemed to generally think that Silphium was some kind of wonder herb and it only liked growing in a specific part of North Africa so it didn't have great chances

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I know I keep shouting about it in this thread but Suzerain does a fairly good job of making "loving up because you have no idea what the actual consequences of your decisions are" quite fun.

I'm not sure if there's any reasonable way to turn that sort of experience into a more freeform GSG though. The fact that the game is essentially a VN about running a country and you can play through the exact same story again to try a different approach is key to making it fun rather than frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, the Ottomans were my pick there too, they should show off a lot of mechanics well.